Washington
✟13,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah...but I wonder if it's his true colors or just a very, very thoughtless move on his part...
Actually, I wish I could find the link, just a few weeks ago I was talking with my brothers about this same subject, and someone forwarded the link on why he said he didn't do it.

I dont agree with him, but at least he was upfront that he has a reason why he doesn't do it, and has been consistent about not doing it.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. I would like to point out a few things about this particular law (for anyone who's interested). It is not a law which requires mandatory obedience. As such, Obama did not commit a crime or break the law by failing to do so.

I looked it up and I can't find any record of anyone ever being charged with a crime for failing to place their hand over their heart during the national anthem. That's probably because it's not a crime.

It is vital to note that the text of the law uses the word "should".
During a rendition of the national anthem—​

(1) when the flag is displayed— (A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;​
Now, this might not mean anything to anyone else... but let me tell you, it means something to the Courts and to Congress. If it was Congress' intention for this statute to impose criminal liability on any person who did not do it, then two things would have been present: 1) the word "should" would have been "shall" and 2) there would have been some provision for punishment for failure to do it.

The purpose of this particular statute is merely the adoption of the Star-Spangled Banner as the national anthem and setting a uniform standard of behavior for those who wish to show respect and allegiance. This standard can be nothing more than a suggestion. (For civilians... military personnel have different rules).

It is not a crime to not hold your hand over your heart when it is played. In fact, a law making that a crime would be unconstitutional.

As Captian Barbossa would say: "It's more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules."

Upvote 0
S

SonicBOOM

I didn't know until just now that it is a law that you have to place your hand over your heart and face the flag when the National Anthem is played.

So what do you think about this?

it's stupid and over-political. It's the equvelent to the pentecostal stanse of "your not really worshipping unless you riase your hands".

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't speak for America, but when "God save the Queen" is played, it's generally accepted that you stand to show respect. I don't know if their are any laws that mention it, but I doubt it.

It's mainly just down to common knowledge.

Do they even still play that anymore? I got the impression that a lot of britons didn't even know the words to God save the Queen.

I hope I'm wrong because I do know the words to God save the Queen and that would just be sad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeefSupreme

Veteran
Aug 1, 2007
✟17,069.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/11/08/obama-calls-internet-accusation-a-dirty-trick/

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Wednesday he is frustrated over the circulation of an e-mail that claims the Illinois senator refused to place his hand on his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance.
"This is so irritating," Obama said in response to a question about the claim at a town-hall event in Burlington, Iowa. "My grandfather taught me how to say the Pledge of Allegiance when I was one or two."
The e-mail in question shows a photo of Obama, as well as rival candidates Sen. Hillary Clinton and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson during Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin's steak fry in September. Harkin's wife, Ruth, is also pictured. Richardson, Clinton, and Harkin all have their right hands on their heart while Obama's hands are at his sides.
The e-mail goes on to say Obama "refused to not only put his hand on his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance, but refused to say the pledge."
Obama told the questioner the picture was actually taken during a playing of the national anthem and said, "During the Pledge of Allegiance you put your hand over your heart, during the National Anthem you sing."
"This is the classic dirty trick of the campaign," Obama said later Wednesday at an event in Cedar Rapids."

Upvote 0

Thomas1984

*Expect the Unexpected*
Jun 6, 2006
✟19,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do they even still play that anymore? I got the impression that a lot of Britons didn't even know the words to God save the Queen.

I hope I'm wrong because I do know the words to God save the Queen and that would just be sad.

What are you even talking about? It's the National Anthem, for goodness sake.....:doh:

Just to clear this up, here's England's National Anthem: :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z2M_hpoPwk

Upvote 0

BeefSupreme

Veteran
Aug 1, 2007
✟17,069.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
As per my post above, Obama is wrong. National Anthem conduct is thus:
" During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there."

So he needs to rethink his statement a little.... IMO

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,969.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Star Spangled Banner was written as an ode to the war with the British Troops after the pilgrims left for America b/c they no longer wanted to be ruled under the Church of England. It is, in essence, a hymnal about this nation's religious war. Because of that, I see it as a tribute to God, too. When we sing it, we are proclaiming that we were/are proud to fight for our right to worship Him the way we choose. America has evolved over the years into many different forms of freedom being sought here, but religious freedom was the cornerstone on which America was built.

JMHO
What? The Star Spangled Banner was written during the War of 1812, about how Fort McHenry would not surrender to the British despite a brutal bombardment. This was long after the Pilgrims came, and it was not a war of religion. That said, you are right about the significance of religious freedom in the history of our great nation.

There are a lot better reasons to dislike Obama and every other candidate then this.
Definitely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Personally, I think it's irreverent, but I'm more concerned about those who act patriotic, but don't truly have the countries best interest at heart, only their own selfish political motives.
Pretty much.

I'm not American, but the patriotism in general of Americans in comparison to the way, well... us kids were in school, fascinating. I love pride in one's country - but I really don't belive its about standing tall, hand against the chest, chin up. Its about being proud to be American.

Granted, there's a time & a place. In class during O Canada or the Star Spangled Banner, I don't think its that important to assume the proper posture, position, etc. But I think, at something like Rememberance Day, or Veterans Day, or whatever PR-heavy event Mr. Obama was at, not doing so is in bad taste, and from a PR perspective, plain out stupid.

However, devoting an article on MSN.com [where it looks like this article was posted - judging by font, layout, etc.] is just as stupid as it takes away from far more important issues.

JMO.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

LonesomeTexan

Veteran
Jun 24, 2007
North of Houston
✟19,404.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Wouldn't it be great if we could round up "americans" that genuinely dislike/hate our country and heritage? Heck I'd even give them the state of California for them to start a new country just to get them out of America. What has happend to our country over the last 50 years?

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
What? The Star Spangled Banner was written during the War of 1812, about how Fort McHenry would not surrender to the British despite a brutal bombardment. This was long after the Pilgrims came, and it was not a war of religion. That said, you are right about the significance of religious freedom in the history of our great nation.

Definitely.
Well, now you know why I wasn't a history major. :p

Upvote 0