What do you think about this type of music?

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
So, I've been listening to a lot of music in the hardcore genre as of late. My family doesn't like it much, but I highly enjoy it due to the amount of passion you can hear in the vocals... It consists of basically screaming and only screaming, however it is not screamo. Do you think it's alright to listen to? I mainly listen to Defeater and The Saddest Landscape, since they have the best lyrical content, as well as the fact that they don't have anything bad in their music... But, do you think it's alright to listen to this type of music? I mean, I think it is, but most people I know don't see it as good music, I just want to know what you think.

So you know what it sounds like, if you don't:

YouTube - Defeater - The Red, White And Blues

YouTube - The Saddest Landscape - Imperfect but Ours

Unfit'for'swine

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,699.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Dude, music is subjective to the person. What you like won't always correspond with other's taste of music, that doesn't make you wrong, that just makes you unique.

If you feel convicted about it, then stop listening to it.
Remember, we were made to glorify God, and if music doesn't do that then it probably isn't the "best" to listen to. Fill your mind with the good things of God, or your mind will be filled with sin ;)

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Dude, music is subjective to the person. What you like won't always correspond with other's taste of music, that doesn't make you wrong, that just makes you unique.

If you feel convicted about it, then stop listening to it.
Remember, we were made to glorify God, and if music doesn't do that then it probably isn't the "best" to listen to. Fill your mind with the good things of God, or your mind will be filled with sin ;)

Haha, good point. Then, it's fine for me to listen to this stuff. It has deeper and more meaningful lyrics than most Christian bands do... To be honest. So, then it's all good, because there's not one thing bad about it... Most people just don't like it's sound I guess.
IMO, Not good.

But then again anyone not from the 70s usually isnt.

Lol, I must disagree.

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Harbor Orange,

When I was your age, I listened to hardcore heavy metal and loved it so I know where you come from; however, God expects us to grow up, you know? If Jesus walked in to your room and asked why you listened to certain things which glorify evil, what would you say? The cool sound wouldn't even matter at that point.

There are some very cool heavy metal Christian artists. Listen to them as they scream words which give glory to God. Here are some groups:

BREAKING BENJAMIN

KREYSON

VENIA

STRYPER

SAINT

HERO

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Harbor Orange,

When I was your age, I listened to hardcore heavy metal and loved it so I know where you come from; however, God expects us to grow up, you know? If Jesus walked in to your room and asked why you listened to certain things which glorify evil, what would you say? The cool sound wouldn't even matter at that point.

There are some very cool heavy metal Christian artists. Listen to them as they scream words which give glory to God. Here are some groups:

BREAKING BENJAMIN

KREYSON

VENIA

STRYPER

SAINT

HERO

I'm glad you know where I'm coming from. However, this is not heavy metal. I do enjoy one metal band, but they're not anti-God, one of their guitarists is a Christian. And, I take my faith more seriously than anything. If any lyric in any music I listen to would disagree with God, or would be crude, I stop listening to the band all together. So, no worries there. I just want to know if it's bad for a band to scream like that, because for some reason, everyone thinks it is.

Upvote 0

RipleyCountyChristian

The guy Chuck Norris tries to live up to :)
Nov 25, 2007
Oklahoma City, USA
Visit site
✟20,237.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well Ty, I am not much into screaming in songs. If there are a few screams or growls or whatever it doesn't bother me. But if the entire songs vocals are screams, I can't handle it. It is annoying and I can't understand it. That is just me though, I know there are plenty of bands like that who's lyrics glorify the Lord. But it is just not my style.

Upvote 0

DMMullinax

I could live in hope
Sep 11, 2007
North Carolina
✟15,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I just don't like hardcore or music with screaming (minus viking metal or scandinavian death metal), but I don't see any problem with it..like.. Biblically speaking. I think what you said is great: that you drop 'em if lyrically they cross the line. And I think if you have that attitude of discernment it's fine.

Your quest for finer music continues...

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I just don't like hardcore or music with screaming (minus viking metal or scandinavian death metal), but I don't see any problem with it..like.. Biblically speaking. I think what you said is great: that you drop 'em if lyrically they cross the line. And I think if you have that attitude of discernment it's fine.

Your quest for finer music continues...

Yeah, I'm not a fan of most of it... But, some bands, such as the two I listed, I love immensely. I don't know why. I still prefer post-rock and such, but sometimes hardcore hits just the right spot in me.
Cool, I'm glad you think so... I just find it weird that people immediately assume music's evil when it sounds like this haha.

Yes, yes it does.

Upvote 0

Unfit'for'swine

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,699.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Haha, good point. Then, it's fine for me to listen to this stuff. It has deeper and more meaningful lyrics than most Christian bands do... To be honest. So, then it's all good, because there's not one thing bad about it... Most people just don't like it's sound I guess.

Well I actually enjoyed it. If you look for approval from others they will end up letting you down and hurting you.

So just enjoy the music you love, and I know that the Lord will understand, because it isn't like you said to yourself, "Oh a nice song, i'm going to listen to it no matter what God thinks" - you've researched it and you've studied the lyrics to see if they will offend Him.

I don't think you should look to other people for answers =)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thanks for clarifying. Kudos to you about which lyrics you listen to.

I actually just listened to Defeater and read lyrics to several of their songs. The lyrics are not bad - the three songs I looked at were mostly about war and heartache. The screaming gets me - so weird - but to each his own. Now I know what Hardcore means... sort of.

Any-who, I'm not savvy with this particular genre, but I searched around and found some Christian groups listed as Hardcore and sound a lot like the Defeater I listened to.

DJ Flubbel
Str8 Sounds
Living Sacrifice
Zao
Extol
Black Flag (old school-no longer a group)

Have fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, if it glorifies God, listen to it. From tap-your-foot bluegrass, to turn-that-off-right-now accopella, to headbang-along screamo, to bob-your-head rap, if it glories God's name, I'm cool with it. Except for accopella(not sure how to spell it). That is truly of the devil. Seriously... :/ Satan grinds at my soul when I listen to that non-music! :)
Here's a list of bands to further your spectrum:
As I Lay Dying
Impending Doom
War of Ages
House of Heroes
RED
Disciple
Brian Head Welch(really good!)
Haste the Day
Life in your Way
Plea for Purging
Onward to Olympus
Thrice
Emery
Underoath
Dead Poetic
Becoming the Archetype
August burns Red
And then there were none(older stuff, now they are techno. Way cool!)

I probably have over 8 total gigs of this stuff on my itunes. The rest is worship or rap. I love it!

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
well I listened to The Defeater song you posted(as I already told you :p) and I liked it a lot...

then again I like essentially every kind of music I can understand

Lol, yup, you mentioned it to me. Yeah, this type of music grows on you. It grew on me so much. I started to find a ton of meaning in it.

Oh, well, if you like most music, then I can see how you'd like this a bit lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLoverDude

Nov 9, 2010
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really don't like all these people who attack music based on the sole purpose that is should ONLY have something to do with God.

Ok, If I'm not "crazy" I like music which has some vulgar language but really conveys emotion and reality through it. I also love the actual MUSIC being played. I am mature enough to not let it affect me in a negative way and can live my life. Those to scared to attempt taking a mature stance are weak.

Upvote 0

The Iris

Flower Enthusiast.
Feb 23, 2011
USA
✟15,183.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have yet to hear a decent argument for why any genre of music is unacceptable. Lyrics, however (regardless of genre), play a large role when it comes to determing whether it's "OK" to listen.

For example, As I Lay Dying has incredibly positive lyrics. Take there biggest hit, The Sound of Truth.

We have all heard what we wanted to hear
Truth that sounds right to our ears

But what wisdom is there within us
To live based on the feeling of our hearts?
How many times has instinct let us down
Never to be thought through
Never to be questioned

Say what you really mean
When your ambition calls you, calls you
For what use is there in praying
If you will only hear what you want to hear?

We speak of fighting to resist this world
But what about the battle within us?
If we have chosen to live against the grain
Then why are we all facing the same way?

There is no difference between us and them
If we all blindly seek truth from sentiments

And my favorite song (because it's completely relevant) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehsdUPPVV-I

This coming from a metalcore band. (Derived from wiki) As I Lay Dying have stated on numerous occasions that all of the members of the group are Christians,[32] but never have stated they are a Christian band. When asked if they're a Christian band or Christians in a band, Tim Lambesis stated on the band's FAQ, "I'm not sure what the difference is between five Christians playing in a band and a Christian band.[1] If you truly believe something, then it should affect every area of your life. All five of us are Christians. I believe that change should start with me first, and as a result, our lyrics do not come across very 'preachy.' Many of our songs are about life, struggles, mistakes, relationships and other issues that don't fit entirely in the spiritual category. However, all of these topics are written about through my perspective as a Christian."[1] During an August 2010 radio interview, Lambesis once more made a statement regarding the band and his faith, expressing that his world view as a Christian "always comes across in our lyrics in some way or another."

If the songs you listen to have un biblical lyrics, there may be some correcting in order. If the lyrics are "neutral" (that is, instrumental music or lyrics that do not take a stance on some biblical issue) or positive like the ones above, I would argue that it's perfectly fine to listen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NSNRJT93

-Message me if you want to add me on Facebook-
Sep 28, 2010
Indiana
✟370.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i think music is one of the most opinion heavy things there is. I believe you can't base music on a genre/sound. that's just dumb because everyone has different tastes.

but where you have to draw the line is lyrics. I don't agree that the only music you should listen to is music praising God. now I think you deff should listen to music praising God, and it is obviously the best music you can listen to anyway. but I think it's alright to listen to fun music or just music with meaning as well, even if the meanings aren't Christian related. non Christian music can have great impacts too.
you just have to be careful of the music that is bad and promotes worldy and godless things in their lyrics. with the exception of a few bands, most bands who have vulgar language in their lyrics are not bands that in any way will be building you up, and thus is not worth listening to. you have to watch and listen carefully.

just ask yourself- if Jesus was in the room, would he approve of what you are listening to? :)

best of luck ~

Upvote 0