What do you think about speaking in tongues?

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't change, no matter whose experience is being discussed.
And so if you felt a painful slap across the face, your most LIKELY explanation would be your emotions? Firstly that's irrational. Secondly I flat out don't believe you!

• Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since I was young I've seen a few family members do it and was always interested and hopeful I could do it. Then in my mid twenties I was able to do it at will and it's such a spiritual blessing. Sometimes I feel almost too blessed but God always reassures me that I have it because I need it and that I have all I need. I've had some spiritual experiences that speaking in tongues helps me always remember. It can be easy to have doubts even when you have spiritual blessings simply because you don't pray enough, or talk to God enough or constantly feed your faith.

Isn't speaking in tongues just edification towards others? Building up others?

It seems we are given many different times in life to talk to others and to try to be edifying towards them in a good manner by the spirit.

I dont believe in babbling or habbbititidia or falling over, shaking, climbing the ladder to heaven.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Could that be because, among all the signs, tongues are the easiest to fake compared to healing and prophecy?
I completely disagree.
The greatest fakery in the body of Christ is not found in tongues, healing or prophecy, but that 90% of the church leadership are ungodly wolves in sheep's clothing.
Prior to the gifts of the Holy Spirit re-emerging from persecution by church leaders, for well over 1000 years, the churches were led by doctrine alone. Any attempts at moving in the Holy Spirit were brutally crushed with much bloodshed, torture and slaughter.

The success of those Holy Spirit denying church leaders can be measured by the tens of thousands of cults and denominations that we see around the world, each claiming that they have the correct theology.
The one thing in common, is that these churches still possess that same demonic stronghold driving them to crush any evidence of the Holy Spirit at work today.

Constantly striving to deny the work of the Holy Spirit doesn't protect you, it leaves you wide open for other spirits teaching doctrines of demons!

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I completely disagree.
The greatest fakery in the body of Christ is not found in tongues, healing or prophecy, but that 90% of the church leadership are ungodly wolves in sheep's clothing.
Prior to the gifts of the Holy Spirit re-emerging from persecution by church leaders, for well over 1000 years, the churches were led by doctrine alone. Any attempts at moving in the Holy Spirit were brutally crushed with much bloodshed, torture and slaughter.

The success of those Holy Spirit denying church leaders can be measured by the tens of thousands of cults and denominations that we see around the world, each claiming that they have the correct theology.
The one thing in common, is that these churches still possess that same demonic stronghold driving them to crush any evidence of the Holy Spirit at work today.

Constantly striving to deny the work of the Holy Spirit doesn't protect you, it leaves you wide open for other spirits teaching doctrines of demons!

But no one can verify whether the tongues that is uttered really came from the Holy Spirit right?

Healing, you can tell whether the person is healed or not.
Prophecy, you can wait to see whether the prophecy came true or not.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
But no one can verify whether the tongues that is uttered really came from the Holy Spirit right?
In posing these questions, are you being led by God to do it, or led by demons?
Can you tell the difference?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
You are committing the fallacy of false dilemma with your question

the answer is neither
In that case, it is common sense that tells me my gift is from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Could that be because, among all the signs, tongues are the easiest to fake compared to healing and prophecy?
Or could it be that tongues are ranked lowest in the list of gifts (not necessarily the lowest of all gifts but at least those enumerated at 12:28-31) and thus are typically the easiest to elicit from God?

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did I not also say "physical?" Yes, I did. :sigh:
Yes you said physical and emotional reaction. Same argument applies. If I felt a slap in the face I'd be looking for the culprit to return the blow, not blaming myself for having physical and emotional "reactions". At such a moment, don't try to insinuate that I merely imagined an adversary. I would feel insulted, unless I already knew myself to have a history of delusions.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes you said physical and emotional reaction. Same argument applies.
Then you haven't found a problem with my earlier comment after all.

Or could it be that tongues are ranked lowest in the list of gifts (not necessarily the lowest of all gifts but at least those enumerated at 12:28-31) and thus are typically the easiest to elicit from God?
Not likely. But by the way, there's nothing in the listing that suggests there's any kind of ranking involved in the order by which the gifts are presented.

Anyway, have a nice rest of your day.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In that case, it is common sense that tells me my gift is from the Holy Spirit.

If you insist, sure.

The point is, no one can prove you wrong, compared to healing or prophecies.

you may disagree but you do understand where I am coming from right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not likely. But by the way, there's nothing in the listing that suggests there's any kind of ranking involved in the order by which the gifts are presented.
Hm...Howard Ervin certainly considered 12:28-31 a ranking, painful as it was for him to concede that tongues ranked lowest in that particular list. Let's take a closer look at your words:

There's nothing in the listing that suggests there's any kind of ranking involved in the order by which the gifts are presented.
No inkling of a basis for this theory? Not even a remote hint of it? Isn't this blatant intellectual dishonesty on your part? Here's what Paul said:

And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues....Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Later Paul says:

"The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified" (1Cor 14:5).

You've got some s'plaining to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
If you insist, sure.

The point is, no one can prove you wrong, compared to healing or prophecies.

you may disagree but you do understand where I am coming from right?
Just curious, have you ever heard the Lord speaking to you?

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Impression most certainly, audible voice no.
If we're talking about language, the distinction between "audible" (voice or impression) and "inaudible" (voice or impression) is not valid. Doesn't hold up, for reasons that I might discuss later. All the sheep hear the voice, by the way (Jn 10:27)

Here's a distinction that DOES hold up. Prophets heard God speak LOUD AND CLEAR in their own language. Thus while you and I typically receive indistinct impressions, prophets receive very distinct ones. Therefore when a thought comes to my mind, I typically have no solid basis for claiming that it came from someone other than I myself because it usually has no special "loudness" or tonal qualities distinct from my ORDINARY thoughts.

At least with respect to language. There are OTHER impressions, fairly distinct, which I receive at least a couple of times a week (love, joy, and peace) that do persuade me it's an impression ("voice") from the Lord, albeit a non-linguistic voice in this case.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we're talking about language, the distinction between "audible" (voice or impression) and "inaudible" (voice or impression) is not valid. Doesn't hold up, for reasons that I might discuss later. All the sheep hear the voice, by the way (Jn 10:27)

Here's a distinction that DOES hold up. Prophets heard God speak LOUD AND CLEAR in their own language. Thus while you and I typically receive indistinct impressions, prophets receive very distinct ones. Therefore when a thought comes to my mind, I typically have no solid basis for claiming that it came from someone other than I myself because it usually has no special "loudness" or tonal qualities distinct from my ORDINARY thoughts.

At least with respect to language. There are OTHER impressions, fairly distinct, which I receive at least a couple of times a week (love, joy, and peace) that do persuade me it's an impression ("voice") from the Lord, albeit a non-linguistic voice in this case.

We have now the completed scriptures, the OT prophets did not.

God speaks Loud and clear in the scriptures.

Upvote 0