What do you think about speaking in tongues?

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since I was young I've seen a few family members do it and was always interested and hopeful I could do it. Then in my mid twenties I was able to do it at will and it's such a spiritual blessing. Sometimes I feel almost too blessed but God always reassures me that I have it because I need it and that I have all I need. I've had some spiritual experiences that speaking in tongues helps me always remember. It can be easy to have doubts even when you have spiritual blessings simply because you don't pray enough, or talk to God enough or constantly feed your faith.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Since I was young I've seen a few family members do it and was always interested and hopeful I could do it. Then in my mid twenties I was able to do it at will and it's such a spiritual blessing. Sometimes I feel almost too blessed but God always reassures me that I have it because I need it and that I have all I need. I've had some spiritual experiences that speaking in tongues helps me always remember. It can be easy to have doubts even when you have spiritual blessings simply because you don't pray enough, or talk to God enough or constantly feed your faith.
I recall I used to speak in tongues quite a lot.

I read this thing about tongues in the bible that one who speaks in a tongue should pray so he can interpret so the whole church can be built up.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

My personal opinion is that "speaking in tongues" is a gift that God provides when Christians are gathered who speak different earthly languages. This is based on the passage in Scripture where "speaking in tongues" originates from:

Acts 2:1-11
When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

I do not believe that the random, monosyllabic babbling that some claim are "tongues" are anything at all. Most people who claim to speak in tongues wind up sounding like some sort of sub-Saharan party mix; it's just repeated syllables over and over. It's curious that I've yet to hear someone speak in "tongues" that sound like Chinese or French or Dutch.

"Speak in other tongues" means that they were speaking in other ordinary, earthly, human languages of the people who were present. Nothing more.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think about it or believe its relevant or needed today.

The only exception would be someone on the mission field who does not know the native language of the people and God miraculously speaks their language through the missionary to lead them to Christ as in Acts 2. Tongues is real language not babbling that passes for the fake gift being paraded around Christendom in modern times.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm neutral, there's a good argument from both sides. Although many don't understand the argument for it.

I have never spoke in tongues, I must be one who was not chosen for it I guess.

Paul said not everyone is given this gift, that is, if it's still in effect.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Tongues in Acts 2 and Acts 10 were clearly defined as speaking in a known foreign language.

If you adopt that definition, no one I have ever encountered as of now, could ever do that.

They often go "shabala kala" or words like that and claimed they are speaking in the tongues in Acts 2.

You make your own conclusions.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Depends if you have the gift of tongues or not ;)

I don't believe every believer has the gift of tongues, but every believer does have giftings that Lord has blessed them with to be a blessing to the body of Christ. I do not believe in speaking in tongues in corporate worship even though I do have the gift of tongues. As such I am not a cessationist and I do not believe the gifts went away in favor of "Sola Scriptura", but that the Bible teaches we are to use our gifts for God's glory, which means our gifts are meant to be used to edify the church. Tongues is a unique gift that edifies the individual, not so much the entire body, but the individual believer speaking them. In this way, I see speaking in tongues as intercession for the individual.

1 Corinthians 14:18-19 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wonder of those who have a negative view of tongues if they know people who speak in tongues. Or if they just avoid people who claim to.

I have several family members who claim it. I wouldn't say I have a "negative view", just that I don't believe it's Scripturally sound. It makes no sense and it's not based on anything in the Bible. It's more of a cultural phenomenon.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul said he spoke in tongues more than anyone else. Doesn't this sound like he was doing a lot of speaking in tongues by himself? Or how else was he able to speak in tongues so much?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Paul said he spoke in tongues more than anyone else. Doesn't this sound like he was doing a lot of speaking in tongues by himself? Or how else was he able to speak in tongues so much?

I love Paul. He was absolutely relentless in his pursuit of living for Christ.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No? That's an assumption, and I don't see any basis for it. He spent his life preaching, teaching, and ministering to people, not being isolated and alone. It makes far more sense to say that he was speaking in tongues while ministering to people of other lands.

Which seems more feasible?

1. The gift of speaking in tongues - as clearly described in Acts 2 - is for ministering to those who do not speak the native language of the person preaching to them.

2. The gift of speaking in tongues is so that a person who is alone and ministering to nobody, can repeat a stream of monosyllabic noises and then feel personally "spiritually blessed".

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No? That's an assumption, and I don't see any basis for it. He spent his life preaching, teaching, and ministering to people, not being isolated and alone. It makes far more sense to say that he was speaking in tongues while ministering to people of other lands.

1. The gift of speaking in tongues - as clearly described in Acts 2 - is for ministering to those who do not speak the native language of the person preaching to them.

2. The gift of speaking in tongues is so that a person who is alone and ministering to nobody, can repeat a stream of monosyllabic noises and then feel personally "spiritually blessed".

Genesis 18:14a Is anything too hard for the LORD?

Keep in mind this was actually the Son speaking.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't necessarily think it's either or but I've never seen anyone just speak in another language they did not know to minister to someone who doesn't speak their same language. Paul does say that speaking in tongues edifies yourself and it's likely he spoke in tongues by himself so he could edify himself. I can't imagine speaking in tongues that much for option 1.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't necessarily think it's either or but I've never seen anyone just speak in another language they did not know to minister to someone who doesn't speak their same language. Paul does say that speaking in tongues edifies yourself and it's likely he spoke in tongues by himself so he could edify himself. I can't imagine speaking in tongues that much for option 1.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then :)

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I never indicated that something was "too hard for the Lord".

Not directly, but you question as to what was "feasible" for Paul. Miracles can and do happen. Even though I am not Catholic, I believe in the documented miracles that have been established as more or less fact that come from certain sacred places according to Catholicism.

Lee Strobel wrote a book called "The Case for Miracles" I would recommend checking that out if you are a cessationist.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He went to different places around the world in his missionary journeys.

He was confident enough to state in Colossians 1:23 that

If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Do you think he would be able to do that without the gift of speaking in various known foreign languages around the world?

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tongues in Acts 2 and Acts 10 were clearly defined as speaking in a known foreign language.

If you adopt that definition, no one I have ever encountered as of now, could ever do that.

They often go "shabala kala" or words like that and claimed they are speaking in the tongues in Acts 2.

You make your own conclusions.
The word "tongue" in Acts means "language".

There is no "gift of tongues" in Acts - that gift expects an interpreter (see 1Cor 14), and no such interpreter/interpretation is found in Acts.

Acts lacks the gift of tongues because all such references are actually dealing with the gift of prophecy (Acts 2:17-18). Acts defines evangelism as prophetic utterance (see post 179 on another thread, and post 180), and one advantage of prophets is their ability to do miracles such as healing, signs and wonders, and supernaturally overcoming language barriers.

1Cor 14 introduces the gift of tongues, which is assuredly NOT a (currently) known language and might often be an angelic language.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no "gift of tongues" in Acts - that gift expects an interpreter (see 1Cor 14), and no such interpreter/interpretation is found in Acts.

1Cor 14 introduces the gift of tongues, which is assuredly NOT a (currently) known language and might often be an angelic language.

For your 1st point, Acts 2:5-11 made that clear

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

This passage is a very clear scripture telling us that tongues are a known foreign language. We have the actual interpreters of those languages in the form of "Jews from every nation under heaven" in vs 5.

As for for your 2nd point about 1 Cor 14, Paul used Isaiah 28:11 in his 1 Cor 14:21-22

21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

If you are aware of the context of Isa 28, the Israelites (the northern kingdom) were so hard-hearted and stubborn in breaching their covenant with God that God sent a judgment upon them (the Assyrian nation – who spoke in the Akkadian language – a foreign language that Israel would not have known) by bringing them into Assyrian captivity.

The northern kingdom of Israel rejected the rest and the covenant relationship from God, hence, God speak to them in foreign tongues.

The causality is hence

If you reject the rest, then God will speak to you in foreign tongues (the Assyrian language of Akkadian).

So tongues in 1 Cor 14:21-22, from context, also refers to known foreign languages.

I do understand that when Paul gave instructions for tongue speaking in 1 Cor 14, some passages may be unclear in the sense that Paul could be referring to a heavenly language, especially in verses like

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

These could be taken to imply Paul was actually referring to tongues as a heavenly language.

So the principle is "Use clear scripture of tongues to understand those unclear passages regarding tongues".

The first time tongues were mention, whether in the OT, or in Acts 2 and Acts 10, were actual foreign languages.

So if that is the clear scripture on tongues, when we come to the unclear teachings, say in 1 Cor 14, unless there is clear scripture that tells us that Paul is referring to heavenly languages, we use that principle to guide us in our understanding there.

Upvote 0