Not open for further replies.

InquisitorKind

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,780.00
Faith
Protestant
Carly said:
I have heard Protestants on this forum, and others, complain that Catholics do not understand what non-denominationalism really is.

In order to better understand it, I'd like to know how those who go to a non-denominational church define it. Anybody willing to share?:)
I used to attend a large non-denominational church in Massachusetts. I suppose you could define non-denominational, based off of my experience, as churches that usually have non-liturgical style service, a simple/symbolic view of baptism and the Eucharist, heavy emphasis on evangelism, and a generally ahistorical approach to church matters.

I hope other people chime in, because I'm sure the definition of non-denominational isn't singular or contrained to set parameters.

Good luck with the answers,
~Matt

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lanakila said:
Non-denominational churches are independent of each other, and primarily charismatic. The Calvary Chapel folks are non-denominational.
yes. I think a big deal also is that nondenominational churches see that denominations are wrong or they see them as not part of the NT view of the church so they do not endorse them. Many see them as a man made invention and stress as they stress the unity of the universal church over the differences of the denominations.

here is something from the calvary chapel webpage. It is how one church (or group of churches) defines why they are nondenominational.

"We are not a denominational church, nor are we opposed to denominations as such, only their over-emphasis of doctrinal differences that have led to the division of the body of Christ."

http://calvarychapel.com/costamesa/Info.htm

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Carly said:
I have heard Protestants on this forum, and others, complain that Catholics do not understand what non-denominationalism really is.

In order to better understand it, I'd like to know how those who go to a non-denominational church define it. Anybody willing to share?:)
Maybe I'm a little slow, but is there something specific you want to know about non-denominational churches?

Some non-denominational churches are just independant churches who are not associated with any denomination. Others are part of an organization, such as Calvary Chapel, and could be argued that they aren't really non-denominational.

Upvote 0

Ken

Aug 14, 2003
North Central Indiana
Visit site
✟1,582.00
Faith
Calvinist
probably the central commonality is that they are self governing bodies, all decisions concerning the church are made by internally, either by members (elders) of the church, or, in some cases, by a particularly dominant pastor.. when you get a strong individualistic pastor and a strong group of elders or board members, interesting things happen..... :(

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Maybe I'm a little slow, but is there something specific you want to know about non-denominational churches?
Not really...I was just wondering how non-denominationals see themselves. One time (can't remember if it was this forum or another) I said something along the lines of thinking that no creed is a creed in and of itself. Someone said that if I thought non-denoms have no creed I didn't have a clue. So I was just curious what people would say...

In Christ,
Carly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay.
Non-denominational churches have creeds, or statement of faith as they sometimes call them.

Most Non-Denominational churches are Evangelical, usually pretty close to Baptists. The churches are usually independant, though many times belong to an organization like Calvary Chapel. Even then they have a much greater degree of freedom then denominational churches.

Non-denominational churches also (for the most part) try to look beyond doctrinal differences and cooperate with other Christian denominations.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi there!

:wave:

Okay, so everyone has an opinion of what a "nondenominational" church is.

A nondenominational protestant church declares no affiliation with another mainstream Christianity denomination. A nondenominational church can range from calvinistic to armenianistic, and probably the only common denominator is their belief in Jesus Christ as Savior.

Some nondenominational churches are trinitarian, some are not; some believe in baptismal regeneration, others do not. Most nondenominational churches are independent. That is part of the definition of nondenominational.

In theology, denominational means "a part of the whole". Just as the denomination of a one-dollar bill is a part of a ten-dollar bill, denominational churches are considered a part of a larger, universal church. Baptists, methodists, congregationalists, presbyterians, etc. all consider themselves to be a part of the whole. While "non" means not, and should be interpreted to be "not a part of the whole", the more accurate understanding of nondenominational would be equivalent to "interdenominational", meaning a combination of denominations or a combination of denominational teachings, yet being a part of the whole of denominations.

Confusing, huh?

~malaka~

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lanakila said:
Non-denominational churches are independent of each other, and primarily charismatic. The Calvary Chapel folks are non-denominational.
With respect, I believe you to be mistaken here.

A non-denominational church is just that. A church (body of believers united in Christ) that is not officially tied to a denomination. A denomination here defined as an organization that oversees many churches under their authority. (ie: Baptist, Penecostal, Presypeterian, Methodist, Episcopal, etc...) There are, of course, divisions within these groups. (Southern and First Baptist for example)

I am a member of a non-denominational church that was at one time a Baptist church. We teach from the Bible alone as our final source of authority. We are not considered to be charismatic.

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I did say primarily. I have lived all over the country and my experience is that they are primarily charismatic. Of course there are exceptions to this, your church being one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lotar said:
About 2/3 of Non-denominational churches are charismatic. Ofcourse it also depends on what you call charismatic. Some classify Calvary Chapel as Charismatic, some don't.
A good point.

Lana,
Could you clarify what you mean my "charismatic?"

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What I mean by charismatic, is the belief that the manifestation sign gifts are for today, and should be operating in your church. Baptists for example do not believe this. Of course this is so out of foundational doctrine.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Assuming you mean tongues and the like then I would have to say that our church is not charismatic.

We do believe in Spiritual gifts (Teaching, Discernment, Wisdom, Evangelism, etc) However, we do not accept that the practice of the "manefestation signs" as a common thing in our church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.