What do you find attractive about the opposite sex?

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Marylin is alright. Although I always feel a great sense of sadness when thinking about her. Unless I'm mistaken she probably killed herself. Might have been partly due to the emptiness she may have felt being viewed as an air headed sex symbol. When I read she was actually quite intelligent in reality. It was all just an act to appeal to the male gaze.

That's a more disturbing part of male attraction and neoteny. There is a part of male sexuality that just finds dumb women alluring. When in reality.. more neotenous women are probably anything but dumb. The child like cues still persist.. even if they do not match with reality.

While I am certainly not a feminist, I'd still advice women not to make something like that their identity.

Reminds me of the Malibu Stacy episode of the Simpsons. A beautiful dumb broad.. who just playfully laughs at everything.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The biggest I've ever had was 6-7 years, and yeah...we were definitely at different stages in our lives, as we are now with me turning 40 next year and her...not. With anything larger I have to wonder what we'd talk about. We probably don't have the same frame of reference or way of looking at the world, which, while not a necessity, certainly does help establish a connection and a sort of 'common language' between people.

Me: "I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
Her: "Remind me again why I'm dating you?" :scratch:

Yeah, no. No thank you.
I just watched that movie for the inth time. I love it.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Is "Attractive" the same as "Appealing"?

I mean attractive could mean, it turns your head,

whereas appealing can mean much more than just looks.

Small simple things, there was a nurse at the hospital where I stayed,

and simply the way she was, well I don't think I have met a person like her before.

Difficult to explain but there are millions of attractive women going by looks,

but wondering if there is only one that has the key to your heart.

but was wondering about this(theme of thread) before it came into being.

No more wondering over a certain person who's presence was so riddlelike,

was thinking the whole day of the song.

"My mothers eyes" suddenly it came to me, she was a double of my mother, in what she said and how she was,

just as Rebecka was a double of Sarah for Isaac.

You see, we don't forget.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
One thing I've noticed since years ago, when I really started dating (c. age 19/20): I really like a woman in glasses. "Men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses", my foot. I don't know where it comes from, either. I think my first serious girlfriend wore glasses for reading (and at the time I wore contacts; now they're not covered by my insurance, so I'm back to being a four-eyes), but it's not as though I ever consciously thought "I have to date this girl -- she wears glasses!" It's not like it's some rare thing. I just like it and I don't know why. Take a really 'classic' beauty like Marilyn Monroe:

marilyn_monroe_photo_alfred_eisenstaedt_pix_inc_the_life_picture_collection_getty_images_53376357_cropped.jpg

She's beautiful, right? Of course she is. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but most people can certainly admit that she is considered one of the most beautiful women of her era.

Put her in glasses:

ee0f8415997a28ff937329b8925eb1a1.jpg

What's all this about How To Marry A Millionaire? How's about how to marry me, cos that's what I'm seeing in this photo. :swoon:

Step 1: Don't be dead

Oh. Right. :sigh:

The search continues...

Ok now I know why im single. :D

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Marylin is alright. Although I always feel a great sense of sadness when thinking about her. Unless I'm mistaken she probably killed herself. Might have been partly due to the emptiness she may have felt being viewed as an air headed sex symbol. When I read she was actually quite intelligent in reality. It was all just an act to appeal to the male gaze.

That's a more disturbing part of male attraction and neoteny. There is a part of male sexuality that just finds dumb women alluring. When in reality.. more neotenous women are probably anything but dumb. The child like cues still persist.. even if they do not match with reality.

While I am certainly not a feminist, I'd still advice women not to make something like that their identity.

Reminds me of the Malibu Stacy episode of the Simpsons. A beautiful dumb broad.. who just playfully laughs at everything.

A little bit offtopic but
A) I don’t believe Marilyn killed herself even she wasn’t happy.
B) I think Marilyn was smart.

I think she was hiding behind the role of being dumb blonde and being as desirable as she can be for men. She was hiding her true self. That is very common role in Hollywood.

Im little bit confused that in this thread many men have said they prefer blondes over brunettes and what I have seen in reality men seem to prefer brunettes. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A little bit offtopic but
A) I don’t believe Marilyn killed herself even she wasn’t happy.
Her death was ruled a probable suicide. She did take several times the lethal dosage amount of barbiturates. It was not like she was a novice to taking drugs either. Suicide seems to be the safest bet.
I think she was hiding behind the role of being dumb blonde and being as desirable as she can be for men. She was hiding her true self. That is very common role in Hollywood.
Yeah, Hollywood portrayed her as an over the top sexual icon for men. Engaging in baby talk, having labored breath.. just acting stupid.. Many people may be putting on an act in Hollywood, but in Marylin's case I think it might have been rather extreme and her huge popularity probably took a life of it's own.

I have read other women feeling the urge to act like Marylin, although in a less drastic manner. While my thoughts are conflicted, these attractions are part of human psychology and in small doses it is probably not harmful and maybe even beneficial. Unfortunately with Marylin I think circumstances pushed her into the deep end.
Im little bit confused that in this thread many men have said they prefer blondes over brunettes and what I have seen in reality men seem to prefer brunettes. :rolleyes:

Well, this thread is a pretty small sample size, lol.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Her death was ruled a probable suicide. She did take several times the lethal dosage amount of barbiturates. It was not like she was a novice to taking drugs either. Suicide seems to be the safest bet.

Yeah, Hollywood portrayed her as an over the top sexual icon for men. Engaging in baby talk, having labored breath.. just acting stupid.. Many people may be putting on an act in Hollywood, but in Marylin's case I think it might have been rather extreme and her huge popularity probably took a life of it's own.

I have read other women feeling the urge to act like Marylin, although in a less drastic manner. While my thoughts are conflicted, these attractions are part of human psychology and in small doses it is probably not harmful and maybe even beneficial. Unfortunately with Marylin I think circumstances pushed her into the deep end.

Well, this thread is a pretty small sample size, lol.

Yes she was using lot of drugs but I believe she was killed. But who knows. In Hollywood lot of weird things happen all the time.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Geez...I just meant I like the look of a woman in glasses. I should've come up with a different example, I guess. Haha. Also, Marilyn Monroe was treated horribly by the Hollywood machine, no doubt, but if you watch her in Bus Stop it is obvious that she could really act when she had a serious role.

And I prefer brunettes to blondes. I think that's a pretty common opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Geez...I just meant I like the look of a woman in glasses. I should've come up with a different example, I guess. Haha. Also, Marilyn Monroe was treated horribly by the Hollywood machine, no doubt, but if you watch her in Bus Stop it is obvious that she could really act when she had a serious role.

And I prefer brunettes to blondes. I think that's a pretty common opinion.

Sorry, I wasn't implying anything about you regarding my comments about Marylin Monroe.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sorry, I wasn't implying anything about you regarding my comments about Marylin Monroe.

Oh, no...I didn't think you were. Sorry for not being clear. I just thought I probably could've come up with an example that wouldn't lead to discussions of suicide in a thread about attractiveness.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, no...I didn't think you were. Sorry for not being clear. I just thought I probably could've come up with an example that wouldn't lead to discussions of suicide in a thread about attractiveness.

Yeah, I am the one who brought it up. I thought it was a related topic to this thread, or at least my suspicions regarding one of the reasons she may have potentially killed herself.

I do find the idea of men being attracted to dumb women fascinating. Most men will probably not cop to it and find it embarrassing in the modern age. As for me.. yeah I find dumb women alluring. Not for the bad faith reasons feminists often mention. Like me, I suspect most men just find less intelligent women appealing because they promote feelings of protection and care. It's just another aspect of psychological neotenic attraction.

Although I do not seek such women out and personally I think it is best to curb such desires. Especially as someone who considers themselves an egalitarian. Sadly this mindset is probably responsible for many cultures developing the idea that women at least in some ways are intellectually deficient compared to men. Which is not true at all. Yet men curiously subtly evolved a psychology that tends to veer into such thinking. A product of our evolution. Both sexes selected traits for intelligence in their own ways. Men took on selecting for our morphology, and women more on the psychological. Unfortunately men's selection for intelligent traits has less to do with being aware of intelligence and ironically can make men seek out women who are less intelligent. Although like the Marylin Monroe example, most of it is an act or pressure from culture.

I've read writings from men in the past and many of them fawn for the idea that women are closer intellectually with children. These men do not say this from a place of cruelty, instead out of something they romantically desire. Sometimes I do wonder deep down if they knew this idea was full of crap or not.

I watch this one podcast that is pretty left leaning, but for laughs they occasionally invited a white nationalist on. He always harked about superior IQ and whatnot.. but it was later found out that he specifically seeks really low IQ women.. like intellectually disabled.. and he was even barred from further seeing one through a court order. He was a weird guy, although he was a former professor and obviously had a pretty decent high IQ himself. Many just found it funny and amusing.. here is a guy speaking about his race being superior in IQ and he's going around sleeping with obviously intellectually impaired white women. He's pretty much a Nazi engaging in dysgenics.. lol.

Although I guess he is following Hitler.. he did once remark that intelligent men should take primitive and stupid women for wives.

Saying that.. I think he's on the more extreme end of that curve.. most men find dating women that obviously impaired creepy and abusive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0