What do you do with revelations that defy accepted theories?

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to get into any specifics. But surely many of you have been given revelations or lets say interpretations of scripture that defy the commonly taught explanations.
What do you do with it?
Do you try to convince others? Do you keep it quiet? Do you share it online using an alias?

Curious.

Reactions: danstribe

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
There is a time and a place determined by YHWH (GOD) for everything.
If HE gives anyone a word or a psalm or a spiritual song,
HE will also provide / inspire/ show when the testimony is to be proclaimed or shared or told, and to who.

This is part of the instructions to the assembly of ekklesia in the NEW TESTAMENT.
Likewise there are those present who are to judge each word or revelation , appropriately and by GOD'S WORD and by GOD'S AUTHORITY, all in the directions GOD gives in HIS WORD.

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a time and a place determined by YHWH (GOD) for everything.
If HE gives anyone a word or a psalm or a spiritual song,
HE will also provide / inspire/ show when the testimony is to be proclaimed or shared or told, and to who.

This is part of the instructions to the assembly of ekklesia in the NEW TESTAMENT.
Likewise there are those present who are to judge each word or revelation , appropriately and by GOD'S WORD and by GOD'S AUTHORITY, all in the directions GOD gives in HIS WORD.
Everyone has the word. The question is about interpretation of said word. That has 41,000 variants to date. Meaning 41,000 denominations with differing interpretations.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to get into any specifics. But surely many of you have been given revelations or lets say interpretations of scripture that defy the commonly taught explanations.
What do you do with it?
Do you try to convince others? Do you keep it quiet? Do you share it online using an alias?

Curious.

Personally, I would test/research my new/different interpretation to make very, very sure that it is correct before attempting to teach it to others, as teachers receive a stricter judgement, based upon what they are teaching. James 3:1,

1) My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.​

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
RE: the last few comments.....

What I meant is when you see things differently. It boils down to interpretation. What I mean is what if your revelation differs from the commonly accepted views?
We all read the same bible but have varying interpretations. Thousands of them.
Im not pushing any particular agenda here,.....its a general question.

Reactions: rrguy
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟545,910.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to get into any specifics. But surely many of you have been given revelations or lets say interpretations of scripture that defy the commonly taught explanations. What do you do with it? Do you try to convince others? Do you keep it quiet? Do you share it online using an alias?

You watch for those who have ears to hear. God reveals His mysteries only to those who do (Matthew 13:10-16). The rest you pray for, and treat with the utmost respect, even if they won't do the same for you.

In short, be a blessing to everyone in whatever way they are able to receive it.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you do with it?

Curious.
Most of the time I keep them to myself, UNLESS the Holy Spirit urges me to share, sometimes it is with those I am close to, other times on a larger scale. Since the word of God is living and its breathing, that means it will truly always have a new meaning in ones heart in a special way. I can and have read scriptures a thousand times, and one day, under different circumstances, it seems to have a total new and different life to it. Never ceases to amaze me.

I would write your personal revelation down, keep a journal, and you never know one day and at a certain occasion God will urge you to share it. He will open the door for it, you just have to be patient and wait. Listen to the Holy Spirit, if the HS is wanting you to share, you will know. Mostly when the Lord has spoken to me thru scripture and it was so precious and personal, I almost did not want to share it, because it was as if He whispered a secret that only Him and I knew, I cherished it. Other times He breathed new life on a scripture and it burned with passion, like fire shut up in my bones, and He would always show me where and when to share it.

I would only caution you to be weary with sharing "personal revelation" on an open forum, it is ok to do that if you wish, but just know and be firm and strong in what you believe HE showed you, cause they are many waiting to put it thru the shredder, kinda hurts ya feelings a little bit. Im not a debater, never will be, I am spirit led and wont waste my time when I know the Holy Spirit says draw back, just get close to the Spirit of God, listen to His voice and you will know.

This was addressed to the OP and may God bless you in your journey :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟545,910.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mostly when the Lord has spoken to me thru scripture and it was so precious and personal, I almost did not want to share it, because it was as if He whispered a secret that only Him and I knew, I cherished it.

Beautiful.

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Everyone has the word. The question is about interpretation of said word. That has 41,000 variants to date. Meaning 41,000 denominations with differing interpretations.
There is only one interpretation and application of Scripture. The Holy Spirit. All else is meandering.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you do with it?

Curious.
Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22, 1984 NIV)

“If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid. (John 5:31, 1984 NIV)

If you choose to share it with someone, accompany it with an accurate rendition of how sure you are it (or parts of it) are from God. It's not your job to convince anyone of anything. (Btw, prophecy to an individual is not permitted on this web site, which would include information from visions and dreams.)

• Agree
Reactions: dcalling
Upvote 0

JesusIsMySavior101

Matthew 25:40 everything we do, we do it for Him!!
Oct 16, 2016
Usa
✟10,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I pray about it, I pray that his will be done and not my own. I ask him for guidance and the wisdom to discern His will plus the strength to do it.

If I'm ever not sure about him leading me somewhere I'll pray about it and wait for his answer if nothing happens I'm confident I'm where he wants me to be. Other then that I'm super careful and try my best not to get tricked by the enemy. So hopefully I'm doing a good job . I am as far as I know.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟407,266.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We may understand Scripture historically, collectively (for the church as a whole), or as personal. The majority of Scripture speaks in all three modes at the same time.

When it comes to personal revelation, two things come to mind:

On one hand, there is no sin in having personal revelations that makes sense to you, but perhaps makes no sense to others, providing they don't speak against elementary Christian truths. For example, you may receive a strong conviction that something in particular is a sin, and in this case, it does become sin to you, yet it's not a sin to your brother. Romans 14 speaks about this. In these kind of situations, we are to keep whatever we believe between ourselves and God, and not cause our brother to stumble. If someone exercises Christian liberty, he does so out of faith. If someone denies himself, he too does so out of faith. Though the two are contrary in practice, they are united in faith.

On the other hand, I also think we have to be very careful with unorthodox ideas. Schisms are often rooted in personal convictions, and likewise, I think most heresies throughout history comes from personal revelations and reasoning. People who start movements that cause schism or heresy, I believe originally tend to come from a place of defending the Christian faith, but ironically ends up pushing Scripture to the extremes and so end up with strange and unorthodox dogma; often entirely un-Christian.

In a nutshell, I would say - whatever you learn, if it seems unorthodox, keep it between yourself and God. Should you find that the idea goes hard against the ecumenical creeds, however, I'd probably read the Scripture a bit more carefully before jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archmike

May 5, 2016
Beaufort, SC
✟19,551.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"...there is nothing covered that shall not be revealed; and hid that shall not be known."
Matt 10:26

The incarnate angel of Rev 10 will reveal 7 end events ( the 7 thunders ). Before he ministers ...or messages....those end events to the world, he will publish a modern-day book that reveals those 7 end events.

We are to listen to him.....He is the 1st Horseman of Rev 6.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you do with it?

Curious.
Rom_14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Mat_10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.

We speak the truth in love.

Reactions: NeedyFollower
Upvote 0

Dwight55

Jun 5, 2008
✟17,390.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are heretics on both sides of the understanding of prophecy: the ones who close their little minds and say the Pope, the Elders, the Bishops or what "authority" have determined this to be true and nothing can change about it. They are the 2017 version of Pharisees and Sadducees.

On the other hand there are also a large pot full of "would be" prophets, all feeding off the other person's lies, interpretations, teaching what ever "feels good". It is usually accompanied with the statement: "Order our latest book now for only $29.95, and if you order within the next 30 minutes, well send you a second copy for a friend, just pay separate shipping and handling." They are the 2017 versions of those whos tables were turned over by Jesus in the temple area.

What one needs to do is remember very simply that the pre-tribulation rapture theory is a bald face lie, having no possible foundation in scripture: as well as a mid-trib, late-trib, etc. When the 7th trumpet sounds in the 11th chapter of Revelations, it is over, finished, completed. The dead in Christ will arise, we who are alive shall be changed, and go to be with the Lord forever.

May God bless,
Dwight

• Agree
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Not everyone has the word. The question is not about interpretation of said word. (all interpretation is wrong; private interpretation is specifically forbidden; when YHWH says something, just speak it or agree with HIM, do not try to interpret it - see the history of problems caused by all interpretation? - 41,000 variants to date, none authoritative) .
When JESUS opens the disciples minds to understand SCRIPTURE, they understand SCRIPTURE. They don't interpret it - they don't try to (they tremble at the thought of changing GOD'S WORD!!!!!) They just speak what the FATHER gives them to speak, always perfectly in line with and total harmony with HIS WORD. When GOD is accomplishing this. THus HIS children , HIS sheep, hear HIS VOICE, and follow HIM - not some interpretation of HIM. They follow and live daily in union in HIM. Not in dis-union, not in dis-unity, like 41,000 interpretations.

• Agree
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What do you do with it?

Curious.

Blind post.

Not all interpretations of Scripture are equal and many interpretations are just downright silly. For the most part, the natural, straightforward, literal reading of Scripture is the correct one - except where context (both immediate and general) and literary genre prevent such a reading. Some parts of Scripture are clearly poetic, or apocalyptic, or prophetic and these kinds of Scripture often utilize highly figurative, metaphorical language. In such cases a literal, straightforward reading is not appropriate. Much of Scripture, though, is very plain. When the Bible says, "Jesus wept," that's exactly what it means; when it says, "You shall not commit adultery," it means precisely what it says; when Scripture says, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth," it means nothing else. The idea, then, that the meaning of Scripture is up for grabs, that the interpretation of God's word can be legitimately as varied and many as those who read it is simply false.

God has had some 2000 years over which to illuminate the minds of His children to His truth. Scripture has been studied, and researched, and sifted with incredible fineness and care by some of the greatest minds of recorded human history. These minds, illuminated by the Holy Spirit, have made it quite impossible at this point for the modern reader of the Bible to say, "Oh, hey! I have understood in Scripture what two millenia of Holy Spirit-enlightened believers have not! I have a new revelation from God about His word! Listen to me! I've got it right where all others have got it wrong!" Baloney.

As for new, divine revelation, well, I am hugely skeptical of such a thing.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

If this is so, what need have we of "new revelation"? None that I can see.

Selah.

Upvote 0