What do you do with revelations that defy accepted theories?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't want to get into any specifics. But surely many of you have been given revelations or lets say interpretations of scripture that defy the commonly taught explanations.
What do you do with it?
Do you try to convince others? Do you keep it quiet? Do you share it online using an alias?

Curious.
First off, "Test them"... "Test" the spirit that inspired them... Make absolutely sure it is scriptural...

Don't be afraid to give it up (on that one) if it isn't...

This will and should take some time, afterward decide how you want or if you want to tell others about it...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JingshenBianxi

So Cool
Mar 16, 2017
Houston, TX
✟17,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't want to get into any specifics. But surely many of you have been given revelations or lets say interpretations of scripture that defy the commonly taught explanations.
What do you do with it?
Do you try to convince others? Do you keep it quiet? Do you share it online using an alias?

Curious.

1 John 2:27

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You can never hope to understand a text unless you understand what its author meant by the words and phrases he used
I believe the best thing to do is to talk to the author.
Ask him what his word means - he delights to reveal this ! (to little children)

1 John 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
This thread has been
upload_2017-4-9_22-18-6.png

Of a lot of posts in violation
Of the SOP
Christian Philosophy & Ethics Forum Statement of Purpose
All member's who participate in this forum are self-identified Christians through adherence to the Christian Forums' Statement of Faith and the Trinitarian nature of God. It is expected that everyone who posts in this forum will respect all members of the Christian faith, regardless of their denominational differences. Discussions may at times become heated, so please remember to keep your emotions in check and your responses in line with our sitewide rules. We expect our Christian members to show courtesy and respect to each other as brothers and sisters in Christ, and staff will moderate the Christians only forums with this expectation in mind.
Do not post Non-Trinitarian posts; they can only be posted
in the Christianity & World Religion forum and the Debate Non-Christian Religions forum.
Carry on.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Everyone has the word. The question is about interpretation of said word. That has 41,000 variants to date. Meaning 41,000 denominations with differing interpretations.
GOD is right.
Men are wrong.

GO with GOD.
GOD knows what GOD means.
GOD does not contradict HIS WORD.
So,
do what HE says - ask HIM, and keep asking HIM.
Keep reading HIS WORD< asking HIM for understanding.

He gives the holy spirit to those who ask him -
He is the only one who can give understanding of SCRIPTURE.
(even to his apostles)

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
GOD is right.
Men are wrong.

GO with GOD.
GOD knows what GOD means.
GOD does not contradict HIS WORD.
So,
do what HE says - ask HIM, and keep asking HIM.
Keep reading HIS WORD< asking HIM for understanding.

He gives the holy spirit to those who ask him -
He is the only one who can give understanding of SCRIPTURE.
(even to his apostles)
I get what you are saying. I have heard over and over that scripture interprets scripture and that it is of no private interpretations. Well if that were really true then we would not have disagreements.
So what we are left with again is 41,000 groups saying THEY alone have the proper interpretations and the rest are misguided or deceived. They ALL claim the Holy Spirit tells them the real truth.
So we're back where we started again.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I get what you are saying. I have heard over and over that scripture interprets scripture and that it is of no private interpretations. Well if that were really true then we would not have disagreements.
So what we are left with again is 41,000 groups saying THEY alone have the proper interpretations and the rest are misguided or deceived. They ALL claim the Holy Spirit tells them the real truth.
So we're back where we started again.
The truth is Love... You'll know them by their love.... Any people group... Let love be the judge...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Historical Christianity

Site Supporter
Apr 6, 2017
Silicon Valley, CA
✟24,515.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the best thing to do is to talk to the author.
Ask him what his word means - he delights to reveal this ! (to little children)

But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
Funny, but ignores my clear and obvious meaning. People write to convey their ideas, using words and phrases as they are commonly understood in the time and place of the writing.

As to claims of Gnostic special knowledge, that's extremely dangerous, since the claims are untestable, even by the one claiming. It's how people rationalize drinking Kool-Aid and flying airplanes into buildings. These claims are thoroughly debunked in the specific context of understanding the meaning of a Bible text. Were it true, all such claims would reach the same understanding. They never do.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funny, but ignores my clear and obvious meaning. People write to convey their ideas, using words and phrases as they are commonly understood in the time and place of the writing.

As to claims of Gnostic special knowledge, that's extremely dangerous, since the claims are untestable, even by the one claiming. It's how people rationalize drinking Kool-Aid and flying airplanes into buildings. These claims are thoroughly debunked in the specific context of understanding the meaning of a Bible text. Were it true, all such claims would reach the same understanding. They never do.
The bible states that Jesus spoke to the multitudes in parable, and in secrete he relieved the "mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven." Are you saying that there is in fact nothing hidden, and that the bible actually details all the things Jesus told His disciples?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Historical Christianity

Site Supporter
Apr 6, 2017
Silicon Valley, CA
✟24,515.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible states that Jesus spoke to the multitudes in parable, and in secrete he relieved the "mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven." Are you saying that there is in fact nothing hidden, and that the bible actually details all the things Jesus told His disciples?
Those were explanations by the synoptic authors for why the ideas of Christianity were unknown during the lifetime of Jesus. All teachers and preachers use parables (examples) to explain concepts.

The gospels are ancient bios narratives, not transcripts or even histories. Tell stories about your protagonist to show what kind of person you believe them to have been. Portray him saying things you think he could have said. We have no writing credibly by any disciple or any other person who met Jesus. It's all third-hand at best. And since all the gospels were written at least 4 decades later, in the greater Roman Empire (not in Judea), it's unlikely they even met anyone who met Jesus.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
What do you do with it?

Curious.
If there is any wisdom I have learned in life, it is what a fool I am. I've learned that I often confuse my own emotions, thinking, and intuition with the voice of the Holy Spirit. I no longer have the arrogance of thinking my personal "revelations" are God-breathed. If they don't line of with Church teaching, they are deceits.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That the Bible is open to all and every interpretation is a myth probably propagated by Satan in order to confuse and denigrate.

2 Corinthians 11:14
No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

2 Corinthians 11:3
But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.

Ephesians 6:11
Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is the nature of most research done at seminaries or universities on the text of scripture or the exegetical meaning of a passage, or theology, or systematics.

If you are Catholic, the magesterium handles these issues. But for us Protestants we are free to argue for the best explanation of the biblical data. That is to say, if there are several înferences say to how God foreknows the future, open theism, molinism, Calvinism, Arminianism. Historically the two held sway. But we are free to test the explanatory power of molinism and open theism against fulfilled prophecy and the like.

Cautionary note: avoid gaining new inferences on the Trinity, or nature of Christ, or his work on the cross without exhausting the old inferences. While foreknowledge, and end times study are interesting, if we get the inference wrong, little to no damage is done.But new interpretations around Jesus's nature or work are the source of a majority of the cult groups and church heresies.

P.S.

If you don't know the difference between exegetical and eisogeting a passage, or the rules of hermeneutics, you may want to leave the new interpretations to the scholars.

Reactions: Shempster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is excellent.
It would appear that the facts are found in the black letters, the hints are found in the red letters but the truth is found in the white spaces in between. Thats just the way I see it.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are certain revelations that are so obviously demonic that a Christian is justified in rejecting without giving the matter any serious consideration whatsoever. A revelation that depicts Jesus as being in cahoots with Satan for example. Or one which denies that Jesus died for our sins. Or any other revelation that blatantly contradicts the Bibles explicit prohibition of a certain behavior such as adultery or murder.

Here is an example:

1 John 2:22
New International Version
Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist--denying the Father and the Son.

Upvote 0