What do you do when you can't go to sleep?

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I take melatonin. It's a natural sleeping aid to help you fall asleep. Melatonin is what kicks in at night in your brain, your brain then starts sending off the 'sleepy' hormone in orxder for you to fall asleep at night. Sometimes our brains just don't want to shut down at night, hahaha...so...sometimes we need to help it along. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SweetAvenue

Nov 28, 2011
Massachusetts (North Shore)
✟15,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Usually if I can't sleep I'll pray or just talk to God for a while. Then if I still can't sleep I'll just make up a story in my head and sort of play it out like I'm watching a movie.

Then if I still can't sleep I'll just count:

Breathe in, 1

Breathe out, 2

Breathe in, 3

Breath out, 4

And repeat like you're keeping time to a really slow song. I find this helps when I'm really desperate for sleep.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes, I'm able to jump start my sleep by daydreaming in a way that reflects my night dreams. When I'm about to fall asleep, the visions in my head start to become surreal. I've had some luck with mimicking those thought patterns.

Upvote 0

Keri

Jan 1, 2006
✟51,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't attempt sleep until I'm tired usually. But I've set a routine to help myself get tired. I haven't had a roommate in the last 2 and a half years. It shall be interesting adjusting to having a roommate again. I'll need to figure out a new routine.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
usually I'll lay in bed for an hour or two and wait till I fall asleep. If I'm particularly wired or stressed out and its clear its just not going to happen, I'll read, watch TV, hop online, whatever, and wait until I get exhausted enough that I cannot keep my eyes open any longer. Sometimes counting slowly as high as I can in my mind helps me to turn off my thoughts when my brain refuses to turn off and let me sleep. Doesn't always work, but it can be helpful to focus all my thoughts on one thing.

but I'd suggest chamomile tea, warm milk, and/or melatonin for most people to help them drift off.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes, I'm able to jump start my sleep by daydreaming in a way that reflects my night dreams. When I'm about to fall asleep, the visions in my head start to become surreal. I've had some luck with mimicking those thought patterns.

I've done this too. The images in my mind can become very bizarre just before I finally fall asleep :D

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Watch public television or something on Netflix. I find Xena: The Warrior Princess is good for putting me to sleep in an instant.

Public television? As in public access?

I don't know about that. Some of the things they show here...you would think I'm lying just to prove a point.

Upvote 0