What do people who don't believe in the Real Presence think about Eucharist stories?

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Every time I go up to receive the Eucharist, it's like a blacklight is shined on my soul, and I become intensely aware of how unworthy I am to receive the Savior Jesus Christ. After receiving Him, the peace is fantastic.

This sort of thing happens to a lot of people; sudden answers to prayers, awareness of mercy, all sorts of cool things happen to Real Presence believers at Communion.

For those of you who don't believe in the Real Presence...what do you think about all this?

(I also included the most powerful testimony I've ever seen, which later references the Eucharist).

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That the RCC has no scientific evidence of these symbols changing to flesh and blood upon ingestion indicates that they are just symbolic, as is commonly understood by most other denominations.

Jesus offered the bread and wine as symbols, not actual flesh and blood.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reverand Alex,

Keep in mind that receiving the Eucharist is not the only religious experience that produces the effect in people that you have described. There are also Christians who report the same thing with respect to beliefs and practices that you would not for a moment agree with.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Every time I go up to receive the Eucharist, it's like a blacklight is shined on my soul, and I become intensely aware of how unworthy I am to receive the Savior Jesus Christ. After receiving Him, the peace is fantastic.

This sort of thing happens to a lot of people; sudden answers to prayers, awareness of mercy, all sorts of cool things happen to Real Presence believers at Communion.

For those of you who don't believe in the Real Presence...what do you think about all this?

(I also included the most powerful testimony I've ever seen, which later references the Eucharist).
I experience those things in everyday life, not just church.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus offered the bread and wine as symbols, not actual flesh and blood.
I agree. In my opinion, Jesus was saying to His disciples, "this Passover meal represents my body and blood."

It was not some miracle as RCC teaches, but was a simple revelation. IMO.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Without having watched the video, I can say all sorts of cool things happen to people who believe sacraments themselves are only symbolic and not of themselves supernatural action.

Cool things happening is circumstantial and not of themselves proof of anything.

Lasting, positive changes in one's life is a cool thing happening, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus died "once for all". The broken body and shed blood represents the actual death of Christ. He is being put to death countless times each week through the sacrifice of the Eucharist. This is not good.

It also seems that Christ has an inexhaustible supply of flesh and blood. o_O

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Jesus died "once for all". The broken body and shed blood represents the actual death of Christ. He is being put to death countless times each week through the sacrifice of the Eucharist. This is not good.

It also seems that Christ has an inexhaustible supply of flesh and blood. o_O
Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So when did that first appear in the Church?
I think before Pentecost people had problems with it.
On both sides of the issue!
Some believed and couldn't stomach the implications of consuming literal flesh. Some believed it literally and could rationalize the implications.
Some of those who grasped it was metaphor stayed with & without realizing everyone wasn't on the same page about it.
Some who realized it was metaphor still could not accept the concept because of consuming flesh being so taboo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So when did that first appear in the Church?
I think before Pentecost people had problems with it.
On both sides of the issue!
Some believed and couldn't stomach the implications of consuming literal flesh. Some believed it literally and could rationalize the implications.
Some of those who grasped it was metaphor stayed with & without realizing everyone wasn't on the same page about it.
Some who realized it was metaphor still could not accept the concept because of consuming flesh being so taboo.

That's my underrated opinion. ;)

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I partake of the Lord's Supper my heart soars with rejoicing as I remember the Lord who gave Himself for me. I use to think about my unworthiness but then I found as I grew in Him, I thought less about myself and more about Him.

Upvote 0