What do nonCatholics think of this Catholic teaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But our suffering can take on meaning in the form of redemptive suffering. You do not have to believe in purgatory. You can just join your suffering with the suffering of Christ by meditating on his trials, such as the temptation in the wilderness, the agony in the garden, the scourging at the pillar, the crowning of thorns, the carrying of the cross, and the crucifixion. You can do this by reading the Gospel accounts in a meditative way.

This is a good example of how people of different faiths can unintentionally talk past each other. If all that were involved were meditation on the events in Christ's life, almost everyone would say that it was good to do. But "redemptive suffering" in practice, if not in theory, isn't that. It does involve a host of superstitions which we cannot accept. Nothing would please me more than to have good churchgoing Roman Catholics separate the myths from the good in their worship and devotional lives.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
steve bakr,

I don't mind you having an issue with me but please do NOT assume that I am suggesting that you are an apostate. My beef is not with you as an individual (catholic) but with an hierarchy that has been lying to you and millions of other catholics; they are the apostates and their religion is false.

G.
I tried to make that same point with an "RC" co-worker yesterday. I use quotation marks because this guy is obviously not involved with critical thinking in any depth. He needs structure in his chaotic life & they provide it. But to discuss doctrine with him is a waste of time. He has no focus for it & all terminology is loaded with emotional baggage. Context is a foreign concept. I'm not saying the RCC is to blame, just that I'm glad we got this place to look for appreciation of such distinctions.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As a Catholic, I do not believe that evil comes from God. Certain physical ailments, my Deacon would say, comes as a secondary result of original sin. This does not mean that you did anything yourself to deserve illness, but that the effect of physical suffering is present in a fallen world.
As a generic Christian, I agree.

But our suffering can take on meaning in the form of redemptive suffering.
Here is where you lose me...

You do not have to believe in purgatory. You can just join your suffering with the suffering of Christ by meditating on his trials, such as the temptation in the wilderness, the agony in the garden, the scourging at the pillar, the crowning of thorns, the carrying of the cross, and the crucifixion. You can do this by reading the Gospel accounts in a meditative way.
In no way do I intend to be offensive but to me, this is just wrong.
To in any way compare MY pain ... (brought on by lack of proper nutrition,
lack of exercise and failure to care for my body properly, living with anxiety
and stress (which is lack of faith= sin)... etc.) to the pain God endured,
which was brought on NOT by His sin or lack, but was needful for one end
only and that being you and me!... So yeah, I maybe still don't understand
what you mean...

It also amounts to the fact that, since Christ suffered for us, we ought to bear willingly our own suffering by saying, "Not my will, but Thy will be done."
Bear willingly our own suffering would be to never
use pain meds and also to assume it IS His will for me to suffer.
This malady has impeded my praise and worship time.. in so much pain sometimes
all I can do is cry. It's taken away from my prayer time, in which I engage
in intercessory prayer for the saints...
That doesnt even include the fact that I only recently went into business,
with 2 streams of income, of which it hurts too much to even think let alone
work sometimes...
So I still don't quite "get it". Seems to me it would be the enemy who'd
seek to kill me and destroy my body that I might be incapable of spreading
His love...praying for the saints... etc.

Did God SAY to join this with the suffering of God, or did He say "If you're
sick, pray for healing"?
See what I mean? It has to all add up and it's not adding up.

IMO
blessings
sunlover

Upvote 0

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I am a Catholic and I definitely believe in redemptive suffering. I offer up my suffering every day, often for the holy souls in Purgatory.

This is Part I of my response to your statement above. I decided to split this post into two separate posts, because the original message I posted was far too long. I also thought it would be easier for you to read and to respond, if I shortened it. The second part of my response to you is here. I'm replying to your post because I was wondering if you would be willing to discuss the subject of purgatory with me. The questions I would like to ask you are taken from my previous post in this thread, located here. Before I go any further in writing this post, I would like to make it clear to you that I am by no means questioning your salvation nor trying to judge you or belittle your personal faith. I am not trying to be harsh and I certainly don't want to insult you, offend you, or hurt your feelings. It is my sincerest intention for my words or deeds to be done in the name in Jesus and for my words and deeds to glorify God (Colossians 3:17).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Scripture: Jesus bore our sins, nailed them to the cross once and for all.

Question 1: Do you believe that Jesus bore your sins and nailed them to the cross once and for all?

Scriptural References:

Colossians 2:14; 1 Peter 2:24; 1 Peter 3:18
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Scripture: Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was sufficient enough to atone for our sins.

Question 2: Do you believe that Jesus’ death on the cross was sufficient enough to pay the penalty for ALL of your sins?

Scriptural References:

Romans 3:25; Romans 5:8-9; Hebrews 7:27; 1 Peter 1:18-19; 1 John 2:2; 1 John 4:10
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Scripture: His suffering and death on the cross appeased God's wrath against sin.

Question 3:
If you have to atone for your sins in purgatory then doesn't that deny the sufficiency of Jesus' atoning sacrifice on the cross?

Scriptural References:

Isaiah 53:4-6; Romans 3:24-26; Romans 11:6; Hebrews 2:17; Hebrews 9:26; Hebrews 10:10-18; 1 Peter 2:24
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Scripture: Our works of righteousness are like filthy rags to God and the sacrifice of the wicked is detestable to Him and an abomination to Him.

Question 4:
How will you be able to atone for your sins in purgatory when your own works of righteousness are like filthy rags to God?

Scriptural References:

Isaiah 64:6; Proverbs 15:8; Proverbs 21:27
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Scripture: Before we believed and accepted Christ as our Savior, we are under the condemnation and under the wrath of God. We
were storing up wrath against us to be revealed when we stand before God on the Day of Judgment. God render to each of us according to what we have done.

Question 5: If you have to atone for your sins in purgatory, then wouldn't that mean you are still under condemnation and still a child of wrath?

Scriptural References:

John 3:18; John 3:36; Romans 1:18-32; Romans 2:5-6; Ephesians 2:3; Revelation 2:23; Revelation 20:12; Revelation 22:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,785,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has had a small clean up. As a reminder, the site rules include this:

Flaming and Harassment
● Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.
● If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button. Do not report another member out of spite.
● Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian.

You need to keep it civil and debate without flaming

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Would you be willing to answer my questions, since you believe in redemptive suffering and purgatory? The questions I would like to ask you are taken from my previous post in this thread, located here. I'm going to adapt the questions to align with the theme of this post. I ask that you to please take the time to read the post in its entirety, so you will have a better understanding of my position on this subject. The apostle Paul said that even if we speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, we have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. He said that even if we have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though we have all faith, so that we could remove mountains, but have not love, we are nothing (1 Corinthians 13:1-5). I will apply what the apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:1-5 to my own life. He said even if I speak to you with the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I have become a sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And even if I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. Therefore, may the LORD set a guard over my mouth and keep watch over the door of my lips (Psalms 141:3). I pray my words are a blessing to you and not a curse (James 3:8-10).

Therefore, before I go any further in writing this post, I would like to make it clear to you that I am by no means questioning your salvation nor trying to judge you or belittle your personal faith. I am not trying to be harsh and I certainly don't want to insult you, offend you, or hurt your feelings. It is my sincerest intention for my words or deeds to be done in the name in Jesus and for my words and deeds to glorify God (Colossians 3:17). I hope and pray that you and I can have a respectful and civil discussion on this subject. I want to thank you, in advance, for reading my post. I hope you will be willing to discuss this subject with me. I would like to encourage you to seek God first (Matthew 6:33) in everything you do and acknowledge Him in all your ways (Proverbs 3:6), because He has already overcome the world (John 16:33) and He is your refuge and strong tower (Psalm 61:3; Proverbs 18:10). He will never leave you nor forsake you (Deuteronomy 31:6; Hebrews 13:5). You can turn to Him in your troubles and He will comfort you (Psalm 55:22; 1 Peter 5:7). May He bless you abundantly (John 10:10), and give you a peace that will surpass all understanding (Philippians 4:6-8). I pray He will strengthen you in your faith (Isaiah 40:29-31;
Philippians 4:13), so that you can live for Him (Galatians 2:20) as a living sacrifice unto Him, holy and acceptable to Him (Romans 12:1).

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." (1 Peter 3:15-16)

And now, I would like to continue on with my questions.

(1) Do you believe that Jesus bore your sins and nailed them to the cross once and for all?

According to Scripture:

Jesus bore our sins (1 Peter 2:24) and nailed them to the cross (Colossians 2:14) once and for all (1 Peter 3:18).
(2) Do you believe that Jesus’ death on the cross was sufficient enough to pay the penalty for ALL of your sins?

According to Scripture:

His sacrifice on the cross was sufficient enough to atone for our sins (Romans 3:25; Romans 5:8-9; Hebrews 7:27; 1 Peter 1:18-19; 1 John 2:2; 1 John 4:10), once and for all (1 Peter 3:18).
(3) If you have to atone for your sins in purgatory then doesn't that deny the sufficiency of Jesus' atoning sacrifice on the cross?

According to Scripture:

His suffering and death on the cross appeased God's wrath against sin (Isaiah 53:4-6; Romans 3:24-26; Romans 11:6; Hebrews 2:17; Hebrews 9:26; Hebrews 10:10-18; 1 Peter 2:24).
(4) How will you be able to atone for your sins in purgatory when your own works of righteousness are like filthy rags to God?

According to Scripture:

Our works of righteousness are like filthy rags to God (Isaiah 64:6)and that the sacrifice of the wicked is detestable to Him and an abomination to Him (Proverbs 15:8; Proverbs 21:27).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(5) If you have to atone for your sins in purgatory, then wouldn't that mean you are still under condemnation of God and still a child of wrath?

According to Scripture:

Before we came to Christ, we were under the condemnation of God (John 3:18) and His wrath remained on (John 3:36), making us, as the apostle Paul described, children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3).

According to Scripture:

When we come to Christ, we are saved from God's wrath through Jesus' atoning sacrifice on the cross (Romans 5:9) and we are no longer under condemnation (Romans 8:1).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(6) Do you believe that you can be forgiven, justified, and redeemed by the grace of God through our faith in Jesus Christ?

According to Scripture:

We are forgiven, justified, and redeemed by the grace of God through our faith in Jesus Christ (John 1:12-13; 3:16-18; 3:36; 4:14; 5:24; 6:26-27; 6:35-40; 6:47-51; 6:54; 10:27-29; 11:25-26; 12:44-46; 17:1-5; Romans 3:21-26; 5:1-11; 6:22-23; 10:9-10; 1 Corinthians 1:4-9; 2 Corinthians 5:17-19; Ephesians 1:13-14; 2:8-9; Colossians 1:13-14; Galatians 2:16; 3:4; Titus 1:2; Titus 3:4-7; 1 John 5:9-13; 1 John 5:20), in accordance with the riches of His grace (Ephesians 1:7-8).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life." (John 5:24)

Jesus said, 'I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.'” (John 6:35-40)

Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. I and My Father are one." (John 10:27-30)

Jesus said,
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. "Do you believe this?" (John 11:25-26)

Jesus said, "Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You, as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." (John 17:1-5)

John 1:12-13 "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

John 20:30-31: "And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name."

Romans 3:21-26 "But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus."

Romans 8:28-30: "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified."

Ephesians 1:13-14: "In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory."

Ephesians 2:4-9:
"But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

1 Thessalonians 5:9-10: "For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him."

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24: "Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it."

1 John 5:9-13: "If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; for this is the witness of God which He has testified of His Son. He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God."

Amen, sister!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, I am a Catholic and I definitely believe in redemptive suffering. I offer up my suffering every day, often for the holy souls in Purgatory.

the only redemptive suffering has been done with the shed blood of Jesus Christ. He died on the cross for man's sin. it is HIS blood that paid the price for all of our sins. Jesus Christ only is the Lamb of God Who takes away the sins of the world, and none other. Our righteousness is as filthy rags to God, and insults God's only begotten Son's sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In reality what happened was that the Church at Rome progressively twisted the faith and innovated.
That is what apostacy is.

If it had apostacized, the Reformers, such as Blessed Martin Luther, would not have had a church capable of being reformed.
None of the various orthodoxies have reformed, so they are incapable, so far.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean the 'real' history that has been unbiasedly written by people within the Roman Catholic Church? Well, your opinion is duly noted. However, I don't agree with you or with any of the indoctrination you have been exposed to while you have in a member of the Catholic Church. And I'm well aware of what the "true Church" is and who it consists of, as it has been written in Scripture, and it is not nor has it ever been confined within the Roman Catholic Church.

So, in your opinion, what is the "real" and "true" history of the church? Be careful, you might be in danger of committing the No True Scotsman fallacy. It did not stop with the New Testament and pick up again during the Great Awakenings of the nineteenth century. It is very ironic to hear you chastize someone on account of supposed "indoctrination."

Also, now might be the time to demonstrate what you have actually read all of those church history books in your library. Particularly interesting will be whether or not any of them go back before 1600 or so. Do you happen to have The Trail of Blood featuring prominently in your church history collection?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is what apostacy is.

No, apostacy is abandoning the faith of Christ altogether, as when a baptised Christian becomes a Buddhist. Coming up with erroneous doctrines or practices while still believing the basics of Christianity is not apostacy.

None of the various orthodoxies have reformed, so they are incapable, so far.

??? But Luther et al did cull out the innovations of the Roman church made in the several centuries prior to the Reformation in an attempt to return the church to its Apostolic profile. That's what I was speaking of. Had the RCC severed all connection to Christianity, there would not have been any church to reform. It would have been a case similar to the claims of Joseph Smith, i.e. church gone for centuries, so God is not recreating it or returning to Earth. Luther definitely did not believe anything like that as he looked at the church of his day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The RCC understanding of purgatory was brought about because of their position on 'good works.' Determinists claim that such works are 'superfluous' and irrelevant for anything pertaining to judgments. The RCC doesn't. I agree with the RCC on this matter, as not seeing God being against 'good works' and a multitude of scriptures that point to God actually being FOR good works. Imagine that.

I'm not saying I understand everything there is to understand about purgatory, but in the line of God being 'for' good works, and potentially even being 'involved' Himself with those who do so, it is reasonable to see that there could be some form of 'showing' or 'revealing' God in Christ post death to those who have not heard, yet did good works.

If a believer doesn't understand this matter along the general lines above, their doctrinal positions force them into a proposition where the multiple billions of people who have never heard the Gospel, yet lived a good and faithful life to what they perceived as good and Godly, where 'all such' are without any MERCY whatsoever automatically eliminated and sentenced to either eternal death or endless burning.

To me such views are just not credible, and are in my opinion, a reflection of the darkness within such holders.

IF 'believers' want and practice heaping the Divine Mercy of God in Christ in boatloads upon themselves, one might see the benefit of letting a little squeak out to a few others.

s

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The RCC understanding of purgatory was brought about because of their position on 'good works.' -snip-

General question for anyone. We know the OT "salvation" is based on "good works" (bring the sacrifice, observe the sabbath, etc). Did the Jews have a notion of purgatory?

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The one thing that I have never understood - Jesus taught Peter - Peter went to Rome - The teachings then changed and was not totally the same as what Jesus taught to Peter - how then can it always be said that the RCC is the one 'true' church.

The teachings of anyone holding what Jesus taught would be the 'true' church (and we are the church) So much has been added to the teachings of Jesus that it would be impossible to sort it all out.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
General question for anyone. We know the OT "salvation" is based on "good works" (bring the sacrifice, observe the sabbath, etc). Did the Jews have a notion of purgatory?

It's a good question and I won't get in the way of someone else who'se better informed answering it

but I am confident that they didn't have any Treasury of Merit, venial sin vs mortal sin, indulgences, and plenty more concoctions without which Purgatory wouldn't be Purgatory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The "Israelites" never held the position of 'eternal torture in fire' to any person and still don't to this day, though the Sadducee sect held to eternal death.

s

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The one thing that I have never understood - Jesus taught Peter - Peter went to Rome - The teachings then changed and was not totally the same as what Jesus taught to Peter - how then can it always be said that the RCC is the one 'true' church.

The teachings of anyone holding what Jesus taught would be the 'true' church (and we are the church) So much has been added to the teachings of Jesus that it would be impossible to sort it all out.

Scripture and very earliest tradition only mention that Peter was martyred in Rome. Nothing less, nothing more.

Some 150 years later when various folks were trying to establish bishop authority, the idea that Peter taught, ordained, etc, was invented.

So, while Peter was martyred at Rome, the teachings about which so many disagree, from Rome, are pretty much her own.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a good question and I won't get in the way of someone else who'se better informed answering it

but I am confident that they didn't have any Treasury of Merit, venial sin vs mortal sin, indulgences, and plenty more concoctions without which Purgatory wouldn't be Purgatory.

Definitily developed apart from apostles, but I was looking for a source for the idea of purgatory.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Definitily developed apart from apostles, but I was looking for a source for the idea of purgatory.

Right. I wasn't trying to answer your question but just throw in some additional considerations. I presume that there are others who will help out with the Jewish roots material that is at the heart of your question.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right. I wasn't trying to answer your question but just throw in some additional considerations. I presume that there are others who will help out with the Jewish roots material that is at the heart of your question.

In the Mary thread, a poster was saying the source for praying to saints (the deceased in Christ) arose out from Judaism.

I'm wondering how many practices were retained in Christianity?

Given how virulently some groups, especially at Nicea and after, like with Chrysostom, railed against Judaistic practices, it is very odd so much was apparently retained (priests, sacrifices, praying to the dead, papacy (high priest on earth), etc). It's like a don't do what I say (don't practice Jewish stuff), but do what I do (practice Jewish stuff). Quite a disconnect.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.