Feb 6, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
✟955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I'm a non believer and very comfortable with my position, but I have one question which I would like to ask in all respect simply because it's bugged me for a while.

As I understand it, Jesus was sent here to pay for our sins. I don't really understand why God would do that given that he likes us to have free will.

But my questions is, what sins did Jesus want to make right? Murder, theft etc... as I see it, nothing was achieved because we still sin.

What do Christians think about this?
It's an everlasting process, someone has to pay our way out of hell. Which God had to create on punishment of sin nature, which kinda doesn't make sense.

He's basically saving us from him and what he has to do, he's an awesome dad.

Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey, d1976mon, I need to add a few thoughts to my last post. The hour was late, past midnight, and my computer froze up on me as I was finishing the post; I had to re-write more than half of it. Due to my frustration over having to re-write much of that post I failed to completely explain a major point I was attempting to make when I started writing it, so I will attempt to finish here.

I began the post by explaining that I was an unbeliever who wasn't certain that God existed, but having been raised attending a Baptist church something was driving me to search for the truth about God & the bible. My post ended with an explanation of how I found the truth I was seeking and how my life was changed as a result of the influence of the Holy Spirit through the Word of God.

Now, I want to say that although I do have a better understanding of scripture & spiritual matters, I still do not understand everything about God. I still have some of the same question that I had before becoming a believer, but I don't fret over that which I do not understand about God. I do not use my lack of understanding about spiritual matters as an excuse to not believe God or His Word.

D1975mon, you said that you understand that Jesus was sent here to pay for our sins, but that you don't understand why God did that given he likes us to have free will. Well, the Gospel is the message of the cross, which is God's way of redeeming mankind back to Himself. God's perfect justice demands that innocent blood be shed for the remission of the sins of mankind. Mankind owes God payment for a debt, a sin debt, that we cannot pay because our blood is tainted by sin. God does not want people to die in their sins and spend eternity in hell which He created for satan & his demons, so He stepped out of heaven and became a Man, Jesus. Jesus, God, cannot sin, and His virgin birth meant that His blood was not tainted by sin, therefore Jesus was the only man who ever lived who was qualified to die on the cross & shed His blood there to pay that sin debt to God that we cannot pay. God gave man free will so he, man, could choose to accept or to reject the Gospel message which is the choice of either eternal life with God or eternal death in hell with satan & his demons.

I know from my experience that anyone who chooses to seek after God will find Him; He is not hiding from anyone. This scripture, Jeremiah 29:13, “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart” says that if you earnestly search after God you will find Him. It IS our choice to seek Him or to ignore Him.

Also, you asked what sins Jesus paid for. Several others forum members have answered that question, and I will just say that Jesus paid for all of our sins, except for one. There is one sin that is unforgiven and that is the sin of “unbelief.” John 8:24, “I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.”

Finally, I want to say that “believing in Jesus” means more than just believing that He exists. The devil & his demons believe in Jesus and know He exists, because they were created by Him. They are fallen angels who rebelled against God in heaven, and they tremble at His name. A belief in Jesus that results in our sins being forgiven and in a new life in Him involves a transfer of trust from self to the finished work of Jesus on the cross. Believing in Jesus for “salvation” requires the working influence of the Holy Spirit through the truth found in God's Word in a persons life. Again, it is a choice we make; a choice to allow the Holy Spirit to use the truth of the Gospel message to change us or the choice to ignore Him & that message.

Choosing Jesus is the difference between darkness & light, between death & life, between fear & peace, between confusion & understanding, between evil & good, between hate & love, between hell & heaven, and much more.

ldonjohn

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm a non believer and very comfortable with my position, but I have one question which I would like to ask in all respect simply because it's bugged me for a while.

As I understand it, Jesus was sent here to pay for our sins. I don't really understand why God would do that given that he likes us to have free will.

But my questions is, what sins did Jesus want to make right? Murder, theft etc... as I see it, nothing was achieved because we still sin.

This thread has given a lot of responses to your questions, and they're not all entirely consistent or complete. I don't mean by this that they are wrong. I want to imply that the issue is more complicated than "Jesus came to pay for sins." He did a lot more than that. And I will say from the beginning that there's lots I don't understand ... But here are some things I have been learning:

We are, and Christians believe we were created to be, social and spiritual beings. In some sense we were made "in the image or the likeness of God." At the core of this is that we are "relational." God wanted to hang out with us. We believe God IS love, intrinsically. As such he cannot behave except "in love." A person who acts in true love does not impose himself on the one he loves. He respects the person's dignity and integrity and right to make his own decisions about his own life. He will give information about the consequences of those decisions. But he does not command or demand a certain choice. He may not like or approve of those decisions, or choices, but he respects the individual's right to make them. However, he is consistent and he does not suspend the consequences of our choices - he views us a responsible, accountable beings.

When God created the universe part of what he did was establish physical-chemical processes. Some of these we have had fairly good understanding of for a long time (like gravity). Others our scientists are learning more and more about. All of them that I have ever come across involve some form of cause and effect. But God also established equivalent principles for social and spiritual spheres of our lives. All of these also have consequences that derive from specific behaviours.

In our relationships we know that we can and do hurt one another, sometimes very deeply. We damage our relationships. If we're fortunate we can ask and receive forgiveness and try to rebuild the relationship. But in most cases the consequences, the "collateral damage" doesn't go away because we are forgiven. You spread lies about someone in a way that destroys their reputation, you may be forgiven, but that act doesn't in itself restore the relationship or the reputation. So forgiveness doesn't deal with all of the consequences. What is needed is reconciliation (the restoration and rebuilding of the relationship) and some form or restitution (restoring or repaying the collatoral damage that was the consequence of our actions).

Our relationship with God (but not only with him) lies in the sphere or our spiritual core. He gave us, with our birth a huge variety of gifts and opportunities. You are gifted beyond your imagination! And he maintains the life processes that keep you going. He gives you every 24 hours a new day, sunshine and rain, etc etc. He gives much of all this to even the most evil of individuals. God is by nature a Giver. Driven by love. He planted in you enormous potential, and set you on the path to become a whole human being - a complete human being, ALL THAT YOU WERE MEANT TO BE. But He doesn't want a robot; he wants a friend; he wants a relationship with you/us. He wants to see you in beautiful, constructive and growing relationships, growing as a person without stop.

Christians generally preach "Believe in God, believe in Jesus, put you trust in him." The reality is that from the beginning God has believed in YOU, God is convinced you can be "the model human being" and given you a set of pre-conditions that when you link up with him, will let you grow to be all that! And he will never give up! Love doesn't give up!

Sin is ultimately any attitude, action or behavioural pattern that entails turning your back on all the potential, despising (even ignoring is equivalent to despising, if you think of it) his gifts and refusing to listen to, or see and respond to the opportunities to become all he intended you to become - including becoming his friend. Of course, part of what he intended and continues to intend, is that we give or pass on what we have received; that we act in the same kind of love that he treats us with; that we see and encourage the potential in the people around us rather than destroy it. So anytime we behave badly to someone else it's a slap in the face of God.

God forgives. But like I wrote above, saying "I forgive you" doesn't alone heal the relatiomship nor does it deal with the consequences of our wrongdoing. We can never pay God back when we wrong him - everything we have we received ultimately from him - so we would only be giving him what is already his. We can bring nothing of our own to the table for reconciliation or restitution.

But Jesus can. Jesus came for many reasons. One of the most important was to identify himself with us. To know us from our side. He shared our life and experienced the worst things we expose one another to. One of the consequences of our wronging God was spiritual death - the destruction of our relationship with him. Jesus couldn't just say "death be gone" because we were already "dead" and many people before us. The only way was for him to identify himself with us all the way and die, and then, from the inside of death, break out and bring us with him (if we want to - that's our choice). That's the only way he could defeat death. Puting it off till later by not dying would never have got rid of it. He must do it from the inside.

Then he says, I identified myself with you all the way to death and burial. Now I invite you to identify with me and I will give you life. Life like you can't imagine! And I, he says, will be your reconcilitation, and together we will build a new relationship and deal with the restitution bit. I, he says, will be your representative in the courts of heaven, and I will make you my Ambassador wherever you are on earth. I invite you to join me in creating heaven on earth!

Jesus ALSO came to show us what God is really like. And he wasn't an ogre! In doing so he also showed us a model of character and of social interaction for us to live up to. He demonstrated live what it means to be "created in the likeness of God." Everyone of us is different, but the character traits he showed in his life right up to his death and even after his resurrection are character traits that we can display, each in our unique way.

Then he went on to share the very spirit of God with us, the life force that will give us the energy and the personal coaching for direction, as well as the inner workings that will transform us, develop that unique set of talents and skills you have, to become all you are meant to be. He guides us by helping us understand those social and spiritual principles that will ensure that we make behaviour choices that have constructive and positive outcomes for ourselves and the people around us.

That was a lot. Much more than just "Jesus came to pay for our sins." And I've hardly started. He wants you to live life to the full - but that means living the life that he intended you should have. Forgiving you is just the start.

Blessings!
Monna

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hi,.... this issue of omniscience always fascinates me,.....not only on free will but on a much larger scale,....If God knows everything, it would mean that he knows everything about me even before I was born,..everything about me, every thought that I would have, every decision I would make, and every action that I would take, ...from the moment I am born, till the moment I draw my last breath,....and for argument sake, lets say that I'm destined for the fires of hell,....wouldn't it be more merciful to not let me exist in the first place since another one of God's characteristics is omnibenevolence?

What are your thoughts, thanks

Isaiah 43:21 ESV / 37 helpful votes
The people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.

Hebrews 9:27 ESV / 13 helpful votes
And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,

Philippians 3:10-11 ESV / 11 helpful votes
That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV / 11 helpful votes
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope

John 17:3 ESV / 10 helpful votes
And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

Exodus 9:16 ESV / 7 helpful votes
But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.

God has plans for us. God has planted many seeds ie man, for a harvest. In order to have a good harvest one must plant many seeds not just a couple.

The harvest is the judgement when God decides about us, not when we decide about Him. Until you are dead God has not given up.

God knows your future but you do not. You do not know yet if you will end up in hell. Thats what you believe not what you know. The fact that you are thinking about your destiny is Gods opportunity.

Your point seems to be that you have given up on heaven.

Your question also seems to imply if 'im destined for hell why should i exist?'

No it is not more merciful. If you did not exist you could not choose anything. The whole point of your spiritual existance is to make the right choices with Gods help.

Life is a testing ground, God tests everyone. Gold is refined with fire, fire symbolises suffering. The refuse must be burnt and the pure gold is treasured.

God wants the creme de la creme, God has a standard that we must reach in order for us to take part in the next stage of our adventure ie the new jerusalem.

I assume you believe in a God who has power to send you to hell if He chooses.

Then why shouldnt He have the power to send you to heaven?

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi,.... this issue of omniscience always fascinates me,.....not only on free will but on a much larger scale,....If God knows everything, it would mean that he knows everything about me even before I was born,..everything about me, every thought that I would have, every decision I would make, and every action that I would take, ...from the moment I am born, till the moment I draw my last breath,....and for argument sake, lets say that I'm destined for the fires of hell,....wouldn't it be more merciful to not let me exist in the first place since another one of God's characteristics is omnibenevolence?

What are your thoughts, thanks

There is an incorrect assumption being made here, that God alone has created you. You are the product of choices made by your parents. Therefore, God has not predestined you to be born at all, so how can He be blamed for creating you, to send you to hell? This is not to say that God is not involved at all in the creation of life. The Bible says that once a new human life is made God creates a spirit within the fetus and knows us at that point.

There is also a logical problem with not creating the people who will wind up in hell. It would mean that no one would go to heaven. You see, without the crucifixion no one could be saved. But, in order for Jesus to be crucified, evil people had to lie about Him and murder Him. His crucifixion is the means by which we are saved. So, if God doesn't create people He knows will go to hell, then there would have been no crucifixion by which people could be saved. In that case, all people would go to hell. Therefore, if God was to not make anyone who would go to hell, then He would not make anyone at all.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What sins did Jesus die for? All of them! 1 John 2:2(NLT): 2) He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.
Hi, If that is so, then why is it that everyone is still born with 'original sin' ? Just curious thanks

Because one has to choose to believe in Jesus and His death, burial and resurrection before His payment for your sins is credited to your account, so everyone is still born with a sin nature. Romans 5:12 tells us that, through Adam, sin entered the world and so death was passed on to all men because all have sinned. This passed-on sin is known as inherited sin. Just as we inherit physical characteristics from our parents, we inherit our sinful nature from Adam.

16) For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 18) “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God (John 3:16,18). 9) If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10) For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by openly declaring your faith that you are saved (Romans 10:9-10).

Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 43:21 ESV / 37 helpful votes
The people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.

Hebrews 9:27 ESV / 13 helpful votes
And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,

Philippians 3:10-11 ESV / 11 helpful votes
That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV / 11 helpful votes
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope

John 17:3 ESV / 10 helpful votes
And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

Exodus 9:16 ESV / 7 helpful votes
But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.

God has plans for us. God has planted many seeds ie man, for a harvest. In order to have a good harvest one must plant many seeds not just a couple.

The harvest is the judgement when God decides about us, not when we decide about Him. Until you are dead God has not given up.

God knows your future but you do not. You do not know yet if you will end up in hell. Thats what you believe not what you know. The fact that you are thinking about your destiny is Gods opportunity.

Your point seems to be that you have given up on heaven.

Your question also seems to imply if 'im destined for hell why should i exist?'

No it is not more merciful. If you did not exist you could not choose anything. The whole point of your spiritual existance is to make the right choices with Gods help.

Life is a testing ground, God tests everyone. Gold is refined with fire, fire symbolises suffering. The refuse must be burnt and the pure gold is treasured.

God wants the creme de la creme, God has a standard that we must reach in order for us to take part in the next stage of our adventure ie the new jerusalem.

I assume you believe in a God who has power to send you to hell if He chooses.

Then why shouldnt He have the power to send you to heaven?

Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry I should have made myself clear in the way I presented my question,...I'm a non believer, was born into a catholic family but I was never one as I had never believe, since I was young whatever I was told did not make any sense to me, and whenever I asked questions, the reply I got either confused me more or the standard 'God works in mysterious way' and I just have to believe or the term they use is ...have faith. No matter how I spin the narrative in my head,...it is completely illogical and maybe due to my character/personality,....rationality is paramount to me, ...I cannot believe something if I don't understand it,....and any further questioning would lead to rebuke for not having faith,...I learn to just shut up and go along with whatever I was told to do....the moment I was independent,....I immediately drop the 'act' as it was disingenuous, and because of that,....was rejected by my family, ...never spoken since as I rather be honest then to live a lie....

My thoughts were, God is supposedly all-knowing,...which means that he knows the result of this supposed 'test' which is life,...he knows my final destination,....but on the other hand,...the concept of free will does not fit into that scenario,...since if I am the one who ultimately makes decisions that either lead to my salvation or eternal destruction,....then logically speaking God can't know beforehand...in other words,...if right now at this moment my destiny is undecided,...God necessarily does not know,.... I hope you get what I mean,.... once again, thank you for your time

Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is an incorrect assumption being made here, that God alone has created you. You are the product of choices made by your parents. Therefore, God has not predestined you to be born at all, so how can He be blamed for creating you, to send you to hell? This is not to say that God is not involved at all in the creation of life. The Bible says that once a new human life is made God creates a spirit within the fetus and knows us at that point.

There is also a logical problem with not creating the people who will wind up in hell. It would mean that no one would go to heaven. You see, without the crucifixion no one could be saved. But, in order for Jesus to be crucified, evil people had to lie about Him and murder Him. His crucifixion is the means by which we are saved. So, if God doesn't create people He knows will go to hell, then there would have been no crucifixion by which people could be saved. In that case, all people would go to hell. Therefore, if God was to not make anyone who would go to hell, then He would not make anyone at all.

Thanks for your reply, I still don't understand, but its not your fault,....its probably just me seeking a rational solution to a question of faith and maybe there is no resolution to it,...at least for me,...but nonetheless, I thank you for trying to explain it...I guess I just have to leave it as it is....

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I cannot believe something if I don't understand it,....and any further questioning would lead to rebuke for not having faith,...I learn to just shut up and go along with whatever I was told to do

I am glad that you found CF. You can ask ever question that you have, continue to ask them as long as it takes to understand and, I can't speak for everyone on CF, but most of us will continue to lend a helping hand and answer your questions for as long as needed. Do keep in mind that, CF is a very diverse community, so oftentimes you'll probably get conflicting answers, even among Christians.

My thoughts were, God is supposedly all-knowing,...which means that he knows the result of this supposed 'test' which is life,...he knows my final destination,....but on the other hand,...the concept of free will does not fit into that scenario,...since if I am the one who ultimately makes decisions that either lead to my salvation or eternal destruction,....then logically speaking God can't know beforehand...in other words,...if right now at this moment my destiny is undecided,...God necessarily does not know,.... I hope you get what I mean,.... once again, thank you for your time

I certainly don't know how it all works but the Bible tells us that God does know all things about us;

Psalm 139:1-4, 16
1) O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. 2) You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. 3) You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. 4) You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord.

16) You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.
God knows what we will do but that does not mean that we don't have a choice. God knowing does not mean that He made the choice for us. Yes, it's complicated. God does not neatly fit in a box that humans can easily understand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for your reply, I still don't understand, but its not your fault,....its probably just me seeking a rational solution to a question of faith and maybe there is no resolution to it,...at least for me,...but nonetheless, I thank you for trying to explain it...I guess I just have to leave it as it is....

Or, keep delving into it until you do understand. We're here to help. And you never know at what point the Holy Spirit will turn the light on for you and it will all start to make sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
JD16, you are not alone in struggling with these kinds of apparent contradictions. Can the almighty move the immovable mountain? How can our free will exist alongside predestination? How can an omniscient God say truthfully "your sins I will remember no more"?

I struggled a long time trying to find the key to issues like these. In some cases I found some satisfaction when I looked at them from a different perspective, sometimes that didn't help. Somewhere along the line, when I get super frustrated, I tell myself a number of things:
1. God is far "bigger," far "greater," much more "whole" than I can imagine. Do I have to understand exactly how things work within the mind of God in order to be satisfied? Isn't it rather arrogant of me to think that I can explain how God thinks and works? And if I were able to explain all the details, where would trust come in?
2. When it comes to the issue of free will and predestination, especially being predestined to hell, I have to fall back on my experience that God is love, and in the end "the judge of all the world will do right."

One of the things that confused me was the idea on one hand that we describe God as a hard-nosed judge - and there are descriptions in the Bible that make him seem totally without mercy or compassion; while he also describes himself as "love." Put this with the idea of predestination, and it seems even more uncompromising and hopeless.

What if: God set up social and spiritual "laws" like the physical "laws" we know - gravitational forces, the speed of light, the interaction of elements in set ways under specified conditions? The physical "laws" are consistent enough that we can repeat experiments over and over again and get the same results. The results are "predestined," the "natural" consequences of doing certain things.

If these same kinds of cause and effect relationships exist for social and spiritual realms, then we could know that, if you behave in such and such a way, within a particular context, the outcomes will be predictably this and that. There is a measure of certainty, i.e. predestination about them. If you behave in certain positive and constructive ways, you will see good results; if you behave in destructive and negative ways, you will see bad, or negative results. God has given the sourcebook, the handbook, to know what is what, and he has given proof (in Jesus) that "right" living leads to "right" results. He does not command us to make bad choices, but when we do the results are "predetermined" by the nature of those underlying cause and effect "rules."

We seldom if ever ask God why he created the law of gravity when someone jumps off a 50 floor building and dies on impact on the sidewalk below. After all we all know that when we jump we come down again. Why then do we think God should not have given us free will, if he already knew the results of us/Adam and Eve eating the fruit? He in fact gave ample warning to them of the consequences. It's like a mother cooking in the kitchen with her 3 yr old watching. She says to the child "don't touch the hotplate on the stove, it will burn you." When the child touches the hotplate, the mother doesn't punish the child by burning her. Nor does the hotplate punish the child. Getting burnt is the obvious outcome of touching the hotplate.

Personally I think that when I stand before God, he will not have to say anything. Jesus will be there - the model human being. I will see him as he really is, and I will see myself, and (without God's mercy) I would see how totally I have failed to meet even my own low standards, and I would condemn myself. God doesn't really send anyone to hell, except in the sense that before any of us came along, he set the principles and the outcomes of our choices. Anybody who goes there, goes by their own free will. Sometimes I think we try to impose our sense of fairness on God. But he sees a lot more of the picture of any one life than we do and he will weigh up the things he feels are important - many of them probably things that we would be surprised about.

Because I believe God is love (read 1 Cor. 13 to understand what that is), I also believe that God works in every single person all over the world, to inform them and urge them to follow the right way. He says he hurts even when the evil person dies. He does not want even the worst human being you've ever heard of, to die. But in the end, I just have to believe that he will do right. Put your confidence in him rather than in your own sense of fairplay, or in your own rational intelligence seeking to find answers to what would appear to be impossible questions.

At the same time, don't stop seeking answers to these kinds of riddles. Just don't get hung up about not finding satisfying answers. ;)

• Winner
Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry lost track of this thread, but hope you still want to discuss.

I have read your reply, thank you for taking the time to do that.

Your first sentence is: The reason you have free will is because it is required for you to complete your earthly objective." I didn't ask to have to under go earthy objectives. God forced that on me when he create me.

God knew by creating lots of people most would reject His Love, but what can He do “if” God is going to create people that are willing and wanting to become like He is (with Godly type Love) for the sake of those that will become like He is.

You did not have a choice in being created, but prior to God “deciding” to create you, God does not know what you will do. This sound like God does not know everything when God does know everything, so you should be confused, right?

God is outside of time so it is like everything is happening simultaneously for God. God does use before and after in His communication with humans, but that is in humans terms and man’s time frame.

Think of it like this:

The God at the end of time knows everything as history and history cannot be changed, but God at the end of time can send back to Himself at the beginning of time everything free will choice humans made, so God at the beginning knows everything throughout human history which has not happened for humans yet.

The “problem” is God cannot change history, since it already happened even if God did a “do-over” the first try would still be part of history.

As soon as God “decided” to make you; you were born lived, made free will choices, died and went to heaven or hell in God’s time frame. If God decided not to make you; He does not know the free will choices made by a never to exist human, since there are none, but God could know every possible choice that nonexistent human could make.

He made you for the sake of and to make those that would accept His Charity.

You also said that "there are just something even an all-powerful Creator cannot do" (that would make him not all-powerful surely!) "the big inability for us is create humans with instinctive Godly type Love, since Godly type Love is not instinctive"

My point exactly. God should have made it instinctive. Let me ask; if we found a way to make our brains develop into enlightened states much easier with a new type of machine, for example, we would all take it and be much happier. God could have just given us that (and much more) from the start.

How can you make Godly type Love “instinctive”? A pet dog can “love” you instinctively, but is that love Godly type Love?

How is an instinctive “love” different from a robotic type love, something programmed into you?

I appreciate your replies but I think there are too many assumptions that have to be made to accept even a small part of your argument. Even if I play along and make numerous assumptions, I am still very far away from your thinking. It's been interesting but I I will wish you well and we will have to agree to disagree!

We are full of preconceived notions and I like to go through our assumptions.

Please think further about what I am saying.

Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
'God knows what we will do but that does not mean that we don't have a choice. God knowing does not mean that He made the choice for us.'

That I understand, he knows the choices that I would make before I do, the very definition of omniscience,......what I don't get is,...if he knows that my fate is ultimately my doom,..eg, that I will make all sorts of bad choices in life that will lead me there,...tho no fault of his,...I was thinking his omnibenevolence nature would have intervened by not making me exist in the first place,...not blaming him, just wondering,...and the omnipotence part of him most certainly would allow him to do anything ....But yea, I'll stop here as this is only a hypothetical thought experiment

'Put your confidence in him rather than in your own sense of fairplay, or in your own rational intelligence seeking to find answers to what would appear to be impossible questions.'

That I can't do as I'm not a believer, and I find that intellectually dishonest, believing just because I want to, without any basis or rationale for it,....I wish I could, but try as I might, I can't lie to myself,....

Thank you all for your response, you have been most helpful

Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
JD16

That I can't do as I'm not a believer, and I find that intellectually dishonest, believing just because I want to, without any basis or rationale for it,....I wish I could, but try as I might, I can't lie to myself,....

Jeremiah 29:13, “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” That scripture says that if you earnestly search after God you will find Him. Unbelievers can't see & understand the truth because they are living in spiritual darkness; their spiritual eyes are blinded to the truth. I speak from experience. As an unbeliever who was living in deep spiritual darkness, I wanted to believe, but like you I could not make myself believe, and I thought I would never know the meaning of believing in Jesus for salvation. Jesus said to the Pharisees in John 5:39-40 “You search the scriptures looking for eternal life, and they testify of me, but you will not come to me that you might have life.” And He said in John 6:37, “All the Father gives to me shall come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will not turn away.” So, how does God the Father give someone to Jesus so that they come to Him for forgiveness of sin? Well, that is the meaning of Jeremiah 29:13. When a person searches God's Word earnestly seeking the truth about God & Jesus, God the Holy Spirit will open that person's blind spiritual eyes and allow that person to see & understand spiritual truths. As an unbeliever who was desperate to become a true believer I chose to seek the truth from God's Word. God did not disappoint me; He wasted no time showing me the truth I so desperately needed & He made a believer out of me as I explained in my previous posts. He will do the same for you. If you will choose to earnestly seek after Him you have His Word that you will find Him. Then you will know the truth.

ldonjohn

Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
JD16

Jeremiah 29:13, “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” That scripture says that if you earnestly search after God you will find Him. Unbelievers can't see & understand the truth because they are living in spiritual darkness; their spiritual eyes are blinded to the truth. I speak from experience. As an unbeliever who was living in deep spiritual darkness, I wanted to believe, but like you I could not make myself believe, and I thought I would never know the meaning of believing in Jesus for salvation. Jesus said to the Pharisees in John 5:39-40 “You search the scriptures looking for eternal life, and they testify of me, but you will not come to me that you might have life.” And He said in John 6:37, “All the Father gives to me shall come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will not turn away.” So, how does God the Father give someone to Jesus so that they come to Him for forgiveness of sin? Well, that is the meaning of Jeremiah 29:13. When a person searches God's Word earnestly seeking the truth about God & Jesus, God the Holy Spirit will open that person's blind spiritual eyes and allow that person to see & understand spiritual truths. As an unbeliever who was desperate to become a true believer I chose to seek the truth from God's Word. God did not disappoint me; He wasted no time showing me the truth I so desperately needed & He made a believer out of me as I explained in my previous posts. He will do the same for you. If you will choose to earnestly seek after Him you have His Word that you will find Him. Then you will know the truth.

ldonjohn

Thanks for replying,

What you speak of requires faith, and that I have non. I'm at peace with all that now, what I was referring to was when I was young and still living with my family, and was forced to go along. I'm here to seek understanding, not actual believe. But thank you for sharing your experience, but I guess that maybe religion is not for some of us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Blind post.

How do you think God atoning for our sins negates or diminishes our free will? According to the Bible, God's forgiveness is not imposed upon anyone. It is a free gift offered to every person who will take it. If some wish to refuse it, they can.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make sins right." Making atonement for our sin did not require God to suspend our free agency. People can still choose to do evil.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No matter how I spin the narrative in my head,...it is completely illogical and maybe due to my character/personality,....rationality is paramount to me, ...I cannot believe something if I don't understand it

I've struggled with the inter-linked issues of "belief" and "doubt." I'm nowhere close to finishing with this struggle. But here are a couple of things that I have found out about myself. I don't know if you can relate to them at all. But for what it's worth...

Most if not all of us make a distinction between head (the intellectual side of us) and "heart" (the feeling side of us). What we think and what we feel. Of course these two things are closely related; after all they are parts of us. Feelings/emotions tend to come unplanned for. Depending of what they are and how strong they are, they need to be controled and it is usually our mind or will that must do the controlling.

I, apparently like you, like to think of myself as a thinking person, a rational one. I am constantly weighing things up in my mind to make sense of them, to reach a point in understanding that is intellectually satisfying. But I find there are a whole lot of "facts" that I cannot find a satisfactory intellectual reason for, yet I "know" them to be true; I "believe" them to be true. Somebody loves me. Knowing what I am REALLY like, I find this hard to believe intellectually. That's the truth. It's a real wonder to me that there are actually people who like to have me around. So there is a truth that I experience in my heart because I see evidence (though I could explain the "why" in a variety of ways) but which I cannot fully rationalise in my head. I am not particularly lovable or even likable.

Then there are things that appear to be absolutely certain at the intellectural level, but which my "heart" simply says are not true. Without going into great detail this has happend to me in very traumatic circumstances. My head "believed" one thing, because there was NO evidence to the opposite, all available information and experience supported the head. But I received an unmistable and unshakable assurance in my heart to the opposite. The situation remained like this for over two weeks. My heart turned out to be right.

I find a parallel with doubt. I battle with doubt in my mind - the intellectual kind. And I battle with doubt in my heart - the emotional, gut-level kind. And I find them to be quite different. My mind is usually able to find all sorts of things that prove something cannot be, raise many different arguments to question and cast doubt on something being true. My heart's doubts work quite differently, and I haven't got to the point where I can explain how they come about. Gut instinct? Not always. An inner voice? not unusual - but where does this come from? In a few cases I believe from God. In others, I don't know, possibly just because I want to feel something different.

When I read your first post, it didn't occur to me, but having recently talking to someone else who is having a lot of uneasy doubts, I began to wonder if doubt in the heart, isn't actually an indication that there is indeed a small grain of belief. Did you write your post to provoke, or were you genuinely interested in getting answers. I want to believe that it wasn't simply a provocation, and that is partly because you claim intellectual honesty.

You say you must understand something to believe it. Do you understand "heat" - if so please explain it to me. Also energy. I'm serious - I have never found an intellectually satisfying explanation of what heat actually IS. We can see evidence of it, our bodies sense it, but what is it actually? "Energy" comes the answer. But what ist that? how is energy transformed into matter? I imagine that there are probably quite a few things you cannot understand, but you believe them ... how your brain works for example, or why blood clots when you cut yourself, but not inside your body, and how does the blood know which is which?

I'm not trying to provoke you - I don't know if any of this makes sense to you. I wouldn't mind you giving your thoughts or even rebuttal, because I am still exploring these things. But could the existence of a niggling doubt and questioning mind, actually be evidence of an embryo belief, that you say you want, but can't accept? Suspend the voices of judgement, cynicism and fear that you may have accumulated from previous experience - let go, and let come (to quote staff at the Presencing Institute).

Monna

Upvote 0

ronandcarol

Mar 9, 2014
✟27,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” Jesus came to free mankind of ALL sins, ALL. Yes we still have free will to sin and die if we want, or to thank Him for the sacrifice He made and put our faith and trust in Him as our Savior. We as humans cannot stop sinning, it is in our DNA. What the blood of Jesus will do for us is to help us change our focus from our sinful desires to becoming followers of Him. He promises that the Holy Spirit will come and reside within you to help you become the Christian that God created us to be. It is an ongoing process that has eternal results.
ronandcarol

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Jesus didn't want to make any sins right. He wanted our relationship with God to be right. Sin was in the way - it was and still is rooted in an attitude that says "God, I know better than you. I know miyself better than you, I know what is good for me better than you. I don't need you and I don't want you in my life."

Sin has an inevitable effect on your own personal character and development. There is a verse that says "know that your sins will find you out." I used to think this meant that the wrong things I did in secret would be revealed. I have no doubt that that is true, but I have come to understand that what it really means is that your wrong attitudes, your wrong habits, the some total of all the nasties you commit against other people, all work to affect who and what you become. And this is always towards being less or a human being than you could be and were meant to be.

Some people feel guilt over the wrongs they have done. Our court systems want an accused person to confess to a crime, in part because admitting that an act (that we view as criminal) was committed somehow gives us the right to punish. In the legal system there is no room for forgiveness, even if there may be room for reducing punishment because of circumstances. But punishment doesn't take away the guilt. Pol Pot admitted that he had led the mass extermination of millions of Cambodians. But he never admitted that it was wrong. In God's system of justice, confession that we have sinned is a prerequisite first for forgiveness and then for healing and restoring a relationship. God is interessed in restoration, rehabilitation, healing, moving forward to becoming all you can be. Jesus' death was an essential part of this process in many many ways.

The blockage (that we continue to sin) is very much because we still continue being slaves to our attitudes, our habits, our fears, our prejudices, etc. etc. Even if we accept God's forgiveness, we find we need his strength, his encoragement, his direction to change us on the inside. We can't do it on our own. (This is partly because our sin is "finding us out" - we have it so entrenched in us.) Being more and more hooked on "instant this" and !instant that" we expect to see miraculous change overnight. But just as you cannot learn patience without waiting, you can't build character overnight, you can't exchange bad habits for good ones by a snap decision. Then, when we think progress is going too slowly, it is easy to fall prey to doubts --- "is God really doing anything to me? Is he even there? Is it all nonsense?"

Don't give up, He doesn't!
Monna

Upvote 0