What did John mean by "I walk in the darkness?"

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I admit it, I'm not humble. In fact, I'm not humble at all. God hates proud people like me (sorry but thats just a fact) There are many times when I think im better than everybody else, and by John's own words that's walking in darkness instead of in God's light (obviously). I also sin way too much and I recognize that i am far behind many other Christians.

Yet, the Holy Spirit speaks to me all the time that I'm a child of God and God is working in me and I have this other nature wanting to break forth. I want to show love to all. Yet j do what my flesh desires and give into the passions of my flesh.. I want to obey God and it feels like all I can do is repent for the rest of my life. So, what did John mean when he said that people like me walk in the darkness? Is this a salvation issue or merely something that God will correct?

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1:6 - If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Only those who are born of God are in the light.

Acts 26:18 - to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

Ephesians 5:8 - for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light.

In 1 John 2:9, we read - He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. In vs. 11 - But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

*Compare with 1 John 3:10 - In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, (compare with 1 John 1:6 - does not practice the truth) nor is he who does not love his brother. *Notice that walks in darkness, does not practice righteousness, hates his brother is connected with children of the devil.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I admit it, I'm not humble. In fact, I'm not humble at all. God hates proud people like me (sorry but thats just a fact) There are many times when I think im better than everybody else, and by John's own words that's walking in darkness instead of in God's light (obviously). I also sin way too much and I recognize that i am far behind many other Christians.

Yet, the Holy Spirit speaks to me all the time that I'm a child of God and God is working in me and I have this other nature wanting to break forth. I want to show love to all. Yet j do what my flesh desires and give into the passions of my flesh.. I want to obey God and it feels like all I can do is repent for the rest of my life. So, what did John mean when he said that people like me walk in the darkness? Is this a salvation issue or merely something that God will correct?

Why do you think that you are better than everyone else? Surely you know that you aren't. Maybe you value the wrong things but even then there's always someone who has more. You have to see that it's a lie to think that. I never really understood those that think that way. I know plenty of people like that but when I ask they usually just get mad.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think that you are better than everyone else? Surely you know that you aren't. Maybe you value the wrong things but even then there's always someone who has more. You have to see that it's a lie to think that. I never really understood those that think that way. I know plenty of people like that but when I ask they usually just get mad.

I think I can be honest with the CF community since I figured this would cause discourse and I really didn't want to bring it up. But it seems I'm coming off the wrong way. I don't think I'm better than EVERYONE else, I mostly think I'm better because God gave me the talent of being able to play video games really good and that's... really where my elitist heart resides. I'll yell at people on discord who don't know how to play or who are playing badly. I'll rage quit on groups and I'll even yell at my own wife because she isn't as good as I am and as good as I expect her to be. It's common in the video game world.

In real life? Or here on CF or on most of the internet? I care and love. Yet, there's a dark side of me that comes out when I'm doing what I think is God's work. I recognize that it's difficult to do God's work when you're screaming at people for being bad. This isn't sending the message that God had in mind and It's evil.

I recognize the futility of this, just because I was born with skills in Computers and Video Games from pretty much infancy doesn't mean I have the right to treat other people who can't play like me like... well basically trash. Like they're subhuman and it fills my heart with extreme guilt. But yet, I keep on doing it anyway.

I think this problem is like this, I know what is right, I know what is noble, I know what is good, but, I do evil instead. Yes, I do good works. Yes, I'm capable of doing good works. Yes, I'm capable of accomplishing everything God desires from me, but I walk in the darkness. John is right, and I just don't know what to do. Maybe, I could abandon computers and video games altogether but, I wouldn't know what to do with myself afterwards. That's really... all that God gave me for talents. A better thing would be to use my talents for good but, It's easier said than done. I think I need to see a Christian counselor again. But not one that just says "Don't worry about this." because, I'll refuse to believe it. I cannot carry the title of "Sheep of God" and only half walk as I should. It doesn't work.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's really... all that God gave me for talents.

Maybe that's where the hostility is coming from. But I doubt it's your only talent, you just can't discover the other(s) because you spend all your time playing videos?

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I can be honest with the CF community since I figured this would cause discourse and I really didn't want to bring it up. But it seems I'm coming off the wrong way. I don't think I'm better than EVERYONE else, I mostly think I'm better because God gave me the talent of being able to play video games really good and that's... really where my elitist heart resides. I'll yell at people on discord who don't know how to play or who are playing badly. I'll rage quit on groups and I'll even yell at my own wife because she isn't as good as I am and as good as I expect her to be. It's common in the video game world.

In real life? Or here on CF or on most of the internet? I care and love. Yet, there's a dark side of me that comes out when I'm doing what I think is God's work. I recognize that it's difficult to do God's work when you're screaming at people for being bad. This isn't sending the message that God had in mind and It's evil.

I recognize the futility of this, just because I was born with skills in Computers and Video Games from pretty much infancy doesn't mean I have the right to treat other people who can't play like me like... well basically trash. Like they're subhuman and it fills my heart with extreme guilt. But yet, I keep on doing it anyway.

I think this problem is like this, I know what is right, I know what is noble, I know what is good, but, I do evil instead. Yes, I do good works. Yes, I'm capable of doing good works. Yes, I'm capable of accomplishing everything God desires from me, but I walk in the darkness. John is right, and I just don't know what to do. Maybe, I could abandon computers and video games altogether but, I wouldn't know what to do with myself afterwards. That's really... all that God gave me for talents. A better thing would be to use my talents for good but, It's easier said than done. I think I need to see a Christian counselor again. But not one that just says "Don't worry about this." because, I'll refuse to believe it. I cannot carry the title of "Sheep of God" and only half walk as I should. It doesn't work.

God doesn't make us great at doing things, we do that. God has different priorities.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe that's where the hostility is coming from. But I doubt it's your only talent, you just can't discover the other(s) because you spend all your time playing videos?

Not all my time actually. I play a lot less than I used to (I used to play video games 16+ hours a day before I became schizoaffective and had to stop playing long hours a day. It also was exhausting, sometimes I would play for several days straight at a time.) But I do play a large chunk of my morning, yeah. I go to bed around 8 and get up at 5 or so and I usually come on here or play video games to wait for my wife to wake up and then we'll game until lunch time or so.

I find myself here on CF more than I play video games anymore though.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People spend all their time reading books and listening to music and I don't hear people calling them slackers. Gamers do God's work by keeping something beautiful alive.

I didn't call anyone a slacker, is there a particular reason you read that into my post?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
God doesn't make us great at doing things, we do that. God has different priorities.

Says who? There are several passages of scripture that say that God gives us various talents and abilities and that we should use those abilities to serve God in their various forms. Unless I'm misreading scripture and what lots of Christians say we are all born with talents that God gave us whether it's Art, Speaking, Knowledge of Theology, A musical Instrument, Talking to Prisoners, Being good at school work ...etc.

Mine just happened to be computers and I've been talented and Knowledgeable in Computer Science and Computers since I was a little child.

I couldn't have taught myself Computers at a young age from programming, to diagnosing and fixing problems ...etc. Those were gifts of God. A young child doesn't just instantly know those things, especially when (trying not to brag) many adults can't do those things.

But it's no different than someone being able to play piano and write music from infancy and be able to do things many people can't do. Like sing perhaps. I definitely CANNOT sing.

How to play video games though? You might have a point. I don't know. I don't even remember when I picked up my first video game and was apparently good at it because I was still in diapers.

Oh I can think of one other talent though that God gave me, I'm good with numbers and math (But not Calculus and Algebra. They were the failure of my Computer Science degree). For most of my school years I used to aggravate my teachers trying to teach math problems by blurting out the answer before they even started explaining the problem. I also never understood why they made me show my work on paper when I knew already what the answer was without showing my work. I don't really see how that talent could bring people closer to Christ though or show people Christs love. It's kind of a condescending talent that says "na na I can do math that you can't do.". I could see my seven year old self saying that... lol

• Agree
Reactions: ParadiseMkX
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Says who? There are several passages of scripture that say that God gives us various talents and abilities and that we should use those abilities to serve God in their various forms. Unless I'm misreading scripture and what lots of Christians say we are all born with talents that God gave us whether it's Art, Speaking, Knowledge of Theology, A musical Instrument, Talking to Prisoners, Being good at school work ...etc.

Mine just happened to be computers and I've been talented and Knowledgeable in Computer Science and Computers since I was a little child.

I couldn't have taught myself Computers at a young age from programming, to diagnosing and fixing problems ...etc. Those were gifts of God. A young child doesn't just instantly know those things, especially when (trying not to brag) many adults can't do those things.

But it's no different than someone being able to play piano and write music from infancy and be able to do things many people can't do. Like sing perhaps. I definitely CANNOT sing.

How to play video games though? You might have a point. I don't know. I don't even remember when I picked up my first video game and was apparently good at it because I was still in diapers.

Oh I can think of one other talent though that God gave me, I'm good with numbers and math (But not Calculus and Algebra. They were the failure of my Computer Science degree). For most of my school years I used to aggravate my teachers trying to teach math problems by blurting out the answer before they even started explaining the problem. I also never understood why they made me show my work on paper when I knew already what the answer was without showing my work. I don't really see how that talent could bring people closer to Christ though or show people Christs love. It's kind of a condescending talent that says "na na I can do math that you can't do.". I could see my seven year old self saying that... lol

I am very similar to you. I am in the top 1% of general intelligence, was a year ahead of the other students as early as second grade, and was nicknamed "The Brain" by the other students. I was a member of Mensa for many years (top 2%) and am still a member of Intertel (top 1%). My career was in various forms of computer science: systems programmer, then GIS programmer. Those were and are gifts of God.

More importantly, I was an atheist for the first 34 years of my life. I used my superior intelligence and analytical mind to determine that God didn't exist. Then, God healed me in the hospital and I have been a serious, devout Christian since then. In Biblical terms, I "walked in darkness" for decades but now, thank God, I am walking "in the light" -- forever.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was born in New York City during World War II and was brought up on a
small suburban farm in lower Connecticut in the 50s and 60s. My parents
were members of a Reformed Jewish temple but they had no spiritual
awareness. They had a conflicted marriage that ended in failure and I
had a very unhappy childhood. I was Bar-Mitzvah at age 13 and, being
considered a full congregation member, diligently sought to follow the
Jewish holidays, traditions, and customs. I wanted to know YHWH, the
God of my people, but found him inaccessible through what I was
practicing: the keeping of the Sabbath, the lighting of the candles,
prayer, observance of the holy days, etc. Because nothing changed in my
life for the better, I became very disappointed and sadly accepted the
fact that there was no God. I had never read or heard John 14:6, “I
am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except
through ME”, so from the age of seventeen on, even though I was a Jew, I
was an argumentative, cynical atheist.

Eight years later I met my wonderful wife in Vermont; we were
married there on June 23, 1969. We lived a comfortable life with our
goats and pigs in the so-called Northeast Kingdom and had our first
child in 1973. However, we found that we were unable to find
satisfactory solutions to the difficulties that confronted us,
particularly the depression that had continued since my childhood. We
moved to a 40-acre farm in central Minnesota in 1974 but it proved to be
too difficult an undertaking for us. I was frequently ill with
bronchial asthma and was hospitalized twice during the fall of 1976.
Since I was so sick my wife often had to do all the chores by herself.

During those years the pastor of a local Pentecostal church visited us
regularly to tell us the gospel of Jesus Christ. As soon as she would
arrive my wife would go off to the barn but I remained in the house to
argue with the pastor, trying to prove to her that her Christianity was
nothing more than the synthesis of ignorance, superstition, and fear.
I was hospitalized a third time in March, 1977. This time the doctor
was unable to stop the asthma attack and I became extremely weak and
extremely depressed. The pastor who had been coming to our farm came
to visit me in the hospital. My wife tried unsuccessfully to dissuade
her from seeing me because she didn’t want me to get into another heated
religious argument in my condition. The pastor came into my room and
read me some scripture including Matthew 11:28-30: “Come to me, all you
who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon
you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will
find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Hearing those words, faith came alive within me. She put her hands on
my chest and simply prayed “Jesus, heal this man”. I was instantly
healed in spirit, soul, and body! It felt physically like a t-shirt was
being ripped apart from my chest. An overwhelming, intense feeling of
supernatural love and joy surged throughout my body, the unbreakable
bronchial spasms in my chest broke, and I knew beyond any doubt that the
God I had earnestly sought years earlier was real. I immediately
confessed Jesus Christ as my savior on March 19, 1977.

Mark 15:38 and 39 best describe what happened to me: “The curtain of the
temple was torn in two from top to bottom. And when the centurion, who
stood there in front of Jesus, saw how he died, he said, “Surely this
man was the Son of God!”” The doctor insisted that I remain in the
hospital for several more days, so I had a glorious time reading the New
Testament, getting to know the Lord and practicing my new faith. My wife
was totally confused about the change she saw in me. She went back to
the farm and asked God to give her a sign if my whole experience had
been real. Immediately a crow flew very slowly at eye level right past
the window where she was seated. She grabbed my young daughter by the
hand and headed for church.

Our life underwent an immediate change. We joined the local church and,
on August 21, 1977, we were baptized together in a local lake. A few
weeks later we sold our farm, animals, and equipment and moved to
Minneapolis to attend a two-year bible school at a non-denominational
Christian fellowship. Along with taking classes I traveled with other
students and teachers to churches throughout the region preaching and
teaching the word of God with joy. About that time my wife gave birth to
our second child. Since that day almost 40 years ago, in good times and
in bad times, I have lived in God’s grace, always thankful that he sought
to reach out and save a depressed, angry Jewish man and give him a
Christian life that has been blessed in more ways than I can possibly imagine.

My marriage is into its sixth decade, my children are happily
married, and I have two of the most beautiful grandchildren ever. Every
day I have shalom, the peace of God that passes all understanding, and
continue to live for him, in his presence, through Christ, by the Holy
Spirit, now and forever.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am very similar to you. I am in the top 1% of general intelligence, was a year ahead of the other students as early as second grade, and was nicknamed "The Brain" by the other students. I was a member of Mensa for many years (top 2%) and am still a member of Intertel (top 1%). My career was in various forms of computer science: systems programmer, then GIS programmer. Those were and are gifts of God.

More importantly, I was an atheist for the first 34 years of my life. I used my superior intelligence and analytical mind to determine that God didn't exist. Then, God healed me in the hospital and I have been a serious, devout Christian since then. In Biblical terms, I "walked in darkness" for decades but now, thank God, I am walking "in the light" -- forever.

Thank you for your story. I wasn't quite that smart but my wife was. My wife actually made me feel quite dumb when we met because there's a lot of things that I don't know lol.

I was an Atheist for years too. Well, I was raised Catholic but I never shared my mom's faith. I did believe in God for many years and I guess you could call him the "Christian" God but... I didn't worship him the way I should have. I didn't believe when I was a Child that Jesus was God I just thought that God was... well God. When I hit adulthood I became an atheist and abandoned God altogether and became an even worse person than I am today if you'd call me bad today. I was wicked, I was cruel, I was hateful. I hated the world and everyone in it and yes, I stole from people and was a con artist. I made a "living" if you will defrauding people out of a lot of money. Tens and Tens of thousands of dollars. Then God came into my life. I didn't ask for him, I didn't seek him, he came to me just like scripture says.

For years after my conversion I kept saying it wasn't me accepting God but rather that it was God that came to me. Because, I was perfectly happy in my multitude of sins. I was perfectly happy being in and out of prison conning thousands and thousands of dollars from people. I was happy hating the world, my family and hating myself. I'm not that person anymore and I'm clean now and I honestly think that God helped me out of that. God has also completely gotten rid of my addiction to inappropriate contentography. Something that I thought was completely impossible because I was that ensnared by its trap.

Eventually God lead me to Protestantism and then to Reformed Theology and it all clicked and finally the Bible made sense.

I saw God personally change me over the years so, I know that I'm his and of him. But, I do wonder about what John said. I recognize that I'm not perfectly "in the light." but rather somewhat "in the darkness". While I've made progress I have a long way to go. I guess I can just take it as God will finish my holiness, as I continue to rely on him each and everyday for my salvation and sanctification. That and constantly repent, that's all I can do really.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Im curious, what about Roman's 7:14-25 (particularly verse 19) I've read Sprouls comments on the verse in my ESV Study Bible but I'm curious as to everybody's interpretation. Because Paul's statement describes me to a tee.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if you're incredibly brave for being so honest about yourself, or lying and trying to con me out of the approx 0 dollars I have.

Were you being truthful about yourself in what you wrote?

Yes. 99.9% of what I said in this thread is true. I lied in a tiny part of it for personal reasons and for my own personal protection. I didn't see it as bravery but more like sharing the whole story and sharing my story as pescador shared his. I thought the two of us were just sharing stories o_O. Dont worry im well known around these forums people have seen my journey here since God found me back in 2013. They've seen my growth as a Christian over the last seven years and even the staff know what's been going on.

Plus, I don't know you and have never asked for money in this thread nor have I ever on CF in the several years I've been a member. If I did, I would have been permanently banned years ago. I also didn't steal money from message boards I stole them from people who played video games that I used to play with and from my parents. it was mostly very close family and friends that I stole from.

Also didn't mean my old self when I said I do evil if you maybe thought that. Like I said that part of me died years ago. It was stated earlier that I have an elitist sort of attitude toward others in things that I excel in. Thats the evil I was mostly talking about. I was mostly talking about not being perfected in love, recognizing it and wondering what John meant about it.

But then again maybe I was worried for nothing this morning. John was talking about the love of fellow brothers and sisters. I don't really have problems in that area I guess. Idk I'm going to bed, I haven't been up this late in forever I can't worry about this all day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I would recommend not playing video games in the same way I recommended to a fellow soldier in my youth that he stopped drinking to the point he was drunk because he hated it when he abused his fiancee whom he told me he loved.

I said, "Give up the grog mate. You won't do it then."

This was very hard for him to receive the same as it is hard for you to hear me say, stop playing those things.

Also, I recommend for your incessant rage that you get your blood pressure checked and be warned of the effects of those bright lights in some games. I was unemployed for about 12 months and computer games got a real hold on me, the superNES my wife bought. A particular game, Castlevania I think, had a level where you were in some kind of psychedelic tunnel that revolved, flashed and glowed around you that I could not pass. Every time I got into it I would fly into a rage, bash my knees savagely, curse, and throw the hand control across the room. It was the pattern of lighting effects that did it. My wife became terribly frightened. Some of these games have health warnings on them for this reason. When I learned what it was I stopped playing and peace returned to our home. Later I learned I had high blood pressure. Whether caused by this or not I cannot tell but that will make you more likely to rage and become angry.

The talent God gave you is not a skill but life. Use it for his glory. This is not glorifying him so stop it.

Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

i believe that the bible interprets itself

(1Jn 1:5) This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
(1Jn 1:6) If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
(1Jn 1:7) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
(1Jn 1:8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
(1Jn 1:9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(1Jn 1:10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

walking in darkness is:

-If we say that we have no sin
-If we say that we have not sinned

you confess your sin - so you are actually walking in light; you can't see your sin if you're walking in darkness, sin is only visible if you walk in light - specifically, the light of the law of God (the 'commandment', as in Romans 7). when you walk in darkness, you are blind to your sin; even to the point of believing you do not sin.

Romans 7:14-25 describes everyone who walks in the light. Paul's point is that the goal isn't to obey the law of God, but rather to recognize that, as long as we are in flesh bodies, we can't obey the law of God perfectly on our own.

(Jer 10:23) O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

(Psa 37:23) The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
(Psa 37:24) Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

(Joh 17:3) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

if you strive to obey the law on your own, you fail miserably; but if you'll strive to be led by God through relationship, you'll be free of the law; because He will never lead you to transgress His law.

when we receive salvation, we've been barreling down the superhighway to eternal death long enough to pick up considerable speed; even though we've committed to turning around, we have to slow down, find the exit, and circle around a bit before we can actually start picking up speed in the right direction.

try asking God several times a day 'what should i be doing right now, Lord?'; and then have faith that somehow you will perceive His direction - let Him order your steps, and you won't have so much to repent of :)

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
i believe that the bible interprets itself

(1Jn 1:5) This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
(1Jn 1:6) If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
(1Jn 1:7) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
(1Jn 1:8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
(1Jn 1:9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(1Jn 1:10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

walking in darkness is:

-If we say that we have no sin
-If we say that we have not sinned

you confess your sin - so you are actually walking in light; you can't see your sin if you're walking in darkness, sin is only visible if you walk in light - specifically, the light of the law of God (the 'commandment', as in Romans 7). when you walk in darkness, you are blind to your sin; even to the point of believing you do not sin.

Romans 7:14-25 describes everyone who walks in the light. Paul's point is that the goal isn't to obey the law of God, but rather to recognize that, as long as we are in flesh bodies, we can't obey the law of God perfectly on our own.

(Jer 10:23) O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

(Psa 37:23) The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
(Psa 37:24) Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

(Joh 17:3) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

if you strive to obey the law on your own, you fail miserably; but if you'll strive to be led by God through relationship, you'll be free of the law; because He will never lead you to transgress His law.

when we receive salvation, we've been barreling down the superhighway to eternal death long enough to pick up considerable speed; even though we've committed to turning around, we have to slow down, find the exit, and circle around a bit before we can actually start picking up speed in the right direction.

try asking God several times a day 'what should i be doing right now, Lord?'; and then have faith that somehow you will perceive His direction - let Him order your steps, and you won't have so much to repent of :)

So basically when John said that anyone who hates his brother (Which might not mean what I think it means) it was a warning that you are in sin and need to repent?

I knew it didn't mean what I had interpreted it temporarily to mean yesterday morning which means that John was telling people that these particular people don't have the Holy Spirit. It was the reason I started this thread because some Christian that I was talking to gave me the idea. I know It's stupid but I just freaked out yesterday.

I hate when Christians use John's letters to try to tell people that they don't have the Holy Spirit when there is several evidences in their lives that they are in fact being lead by God. One major fool proof one being Repentance. A human being cannot repent without being renewed by the power of the Holy Spirit. It's not just Calvinism that says so, the Bible says so.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would recommend not playing video games in the same way I recommended to a fellow soldier in my youth that he stopped drinking to the point he was drunk because he hated it when he abused his fiancee whom he told me he loved.

I said, "Give up the grog mate. You won't do it then."

This was very hard for him to receive the same as it is hard for you to hear me say, stop playing those things.

Also, I recommend for your incessant rage that you get your blood pressure checked and be warned of the effects of those bright lights in some games. I was unemployed for about 12 months and computer games got a real hold on me, the superNES my wife bought. A particular game, Castlevania I think, had a level where you were in some kind of psychedelic tunnel that revolved, flashed and glowed around you that I could not pass. Every time I got into it I would fly into a rage, bash my knees savagely, curse, and throw the hand control across the room. It was the pattern of lighting effects that did it. My wife became terribly frightened. Some of these games have health warnings on them for this reason. When I learned what it was I stopped playing and peace returned to our home. Later I learned I had high blood pressure. Whether caused by this or not I cannot tell but that will make you more likely to rage and become angry.

The talent God gave you is not a skill but life. Use it for his glory. This is not glorifying him so stop it.

If its in God's will, then God's will be done. God's sovereignty rules over all and I would be more than happy to quit if God told me to do so.

Funny thing though that people might be interested in, yesterday I spent about a half an hour talking with God and when my wife and I were playing I didn't yell at anybody once. I had a much more calm demeanor. My only regret is my friend wanted to play with us until 7:30 at night and my wife wouldn't get off the computer. We stayed up way too late last night, later than I've been awake in years. That kind of made me angry because, I dislike playing video games all day. My life is more than doing God's work It's also time with my wife that isn't spent behind a Computer screen and time with God.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So basically when John said that anyone who hates his brother (Which might not mean what I think it means) it was a warning that you are in sin and need to repent?

I knew it didn't mean what I had interpreted it temporarily to mean yesterday morning which means that John was telling people that these particular people don't have the Holy Spirit. It was the reason I started this thread because some Christian that I was talking to gave me the idea. I know It's stupid but I just freaked out yesterday.

I hate when Christians use John's letters to try to tell people that they don't have the Holy Spirit when there is several evidences in their lives that they are in fact being lead by God. One major fool proof one being Repentance. A human being cannot repent without being renewed by the power of the Holy Spirit. It's not just Calvinism that says so, the Bible says so.

(1Jn 4:7) Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
(1Jn 4:8) He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
(1Jn 4:9) In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
(1Jn 4:10) Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
(1Jn 4:11) Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
(1Jn 4:12) No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
(1Jn 4:13) Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
(1Jn 4:14) And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
(1Jn 4:15) Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
(1Jn 4:16) And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
(1Jn 4:17) Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
(1Jn 4:18) There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
(1Jn 4:19) We love him, because he first loved us.
(1Jn 4:20) If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
(1Jn 4:21) And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

if you hate your brother, whom God loves, then you are in disagreement with God about your brother - to disagree with God is to not believe Him - this is the conception of all 'sins' (wrong words and actions). so yes, you need to repent - but that means 'to think again, to reconsider', not 'stop all that sinning' (cease wrong words and actions). once you know that you aren't in agreement with God about something, and you set your mind to believe Him (align your thinking with His), you have repented - this will eventually result in an automatic reduction in 'sins' (wrong words and actions) as well. if you change your wrong words and actions ('sins') without changing your thinking to agree with Him (repenting), you remain in 'sin' (unbelief) by remaining in disagreement with Him, even though you have ceased wrong words and actions.

Upvote 0