• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What did it all started with?

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by alexanderfrank1985, Apr 29, 2021.

1. alexanderfrank1985

alexanderfrank1985 New Member

+5
    Norway
    Agnostic
    Single
    its kinda strange really, it needed some sort of an intelligence to know theres air out there and to use it to carry things out of your body, but how could it know there was air, it sort of must have startet with some sort of an intelligence that wasnt really life yet but somehow knew everything still, perhaps it was just the thing that we`re all made up from, energy, some say it`s a little like something living, what do you think?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. The IbanezerScrooge

The IbanezerScrooge I can't believe what I'm hearing...

+2,097
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Organisms don't need to "know" about their environments in order to live in the same way that rocks, pebbles and sand don't need to "know" the size of the holes in the different levels of a sifter to make it to the "correct" level. It's just natural selection.

Also, the first organisms likely did not need air, but probably started around hydrothermal vents on the sea floor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+21,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I don't need to know that there is air around me in order to breathe. My autonomic nervous system does all the work for me.

-CryptoLutheran

4. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,776
    Christian
    Married
    You can't have scientific laws without someONE creating those laws. Without a first cause, nothing would exist.

5. The IbanezerScrooge

The IbanezerScrooge I can't believe what I'm hearing...

+2,097
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Scientific laws are descriptive. Not prescriptive.

I think I know what you actually mean, but just to be clear noONE had to write laws in order for things to be as they are. The laws came after from our observations. I think you're actually talking about the conditions themselves and not "Scientific Laws" per se, so I get your meaning. There's no evidence of that either, though. :)

6. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+21,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Different meaning of "law" here. It's like how St. Paul uses the word "law" in Romans chapter 7, where he says,

"So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members."

The "law" he speaks of here isn't a prescriptive law, but descriptive one. There is no law that prescribes that when wants to do right evil is at hand; but Paul observes that this is the case, and therefore it is a "law", a "natural law" if you will.

And that's exactly what "natural laws" are, they are not prescriptive legislation, but observed descriptions.

The "law" describes what is observed.

-CryptoLutheran

7. SelfSim

SelfSim A non "-ist"

+1,199
    Humanist
    Private
    What 'conditions themselves' (and what 'things to be what they are') means, also came from (modern day) human minds/observations, there .. and then that forms the basis of what those laws describe too, eh(?)

8. renniks

+2,776
    Christian
    Married
    There are laws about how the creation acts. They are technically not natural because they were all created by a supernatural being who holds all matter together.
    You can not have rules about how nature acts without someone creating the rules. Why is there gravity? Because God designed the earth in such a way that gravity would be a result.
    There's a reason Satan is known as the chaos bringer, because God is a being of order and deliberate design.

9. Ponderous Curmudgeon

Ponderous Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

+468
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    As usual, evidence please?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  10. renniks

+2,776
    Christian
    Married
    The fact that there are laws of nature is the evidence.

11. sjastro

sjastro Newbie

+1,965
    Christian
    Single
    And I thought Henri Poincare was the father of Chaos theory not Satan.
    Guess the history books will have to be rewritten.
    What about the probabilistic nature of Quantum Mechanics; did Beelzebub come up with the theory?

12. renniks

+2,776
    Christian
    Married
    If you're not going to actually read what I wrote why bother commenting?

13. Ponderous Curmudgeon

Ponderous Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

+468
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    The "laws of nature" as written by humans which includes all the "laws" that we know of are descriptive, they are all human understandings of perceived regularity.

14. sjastro

sjastro Newbie

+1,965
    Christian
    Single
    Why don't you try reading what others are stating about laws; the penny might then drop.

15. renniks

+2,776
    Christian
    Married
    So? Why would nature have regularity? Why does it obey the rules of mathematics?

16. dlamberth

dlamberth Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,224
    Other Religion
    US-Others
    If your calling the ongoing creative force within the forever changing life itself the first cause, I'd have to agree. If your pointing towards a person outside of life sitting somewhere up high creating and controlling nature like a puppet, at that point I'd have to disagree.

17. renniks

+2,776
    Christian
    Married
    What is this creative force? Where did it come from?

18. sjastro

sjastro Newbie

+1,965
    Christian
    Single
    The entropy S of a system is defined by the mathematical equation;

S = k.logₑ(Ω)

k is Boltzmann's constant and Ω is the number of microstates of the system.
    Here we have an example of nature obeying a mathematical equation that describes disorder (entropy).

19. dlamberth

dlamberth Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,224
    Other Religion
    US-Others
    It came into being at the moment of the Big Bang. It's Life.

20. SelfSim

SelfSim A non "-ist"

+1,199
    Humanist
    Private
    What we call 'nature' is a model (just like @sjastro's descriptive one) which displays regularities because we all possess a common type of mind .. which perceives in similar ways .. (ETA: even whilst describing disorder).
    Because no-one can contradict the axioms (which humans wrote down). Ie: math tracks consistencies of statements, using its axioms as the basis of comparison for coming up with we mean by 'consistent'.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021