United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kelly said:
the "was" in "The earth was without form and void" can also be translated as "became" - something to think about in terms of value to the 'gap theory'.
Are you a gap theorist Kelly?

Upvote 0

keyarch

Nov 14, 2004
✟16,070.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
tinkerbell said:
I hold to the view of young eart creation, because that's what the Bible teaches, and there are so many implications that go along with other povs.
Scripture has taught me that the "creation week" started with the stars already existing and the earth covered in water before the first day, and that all the biology was created between days 3 and 6 some 6,000 years ago. Do you know of any negative implications or conflicts with scripture for this creation model?

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe old earth....partly because all the vegetation mountains valleys rivers etc, were full blown, I dont' think God does anything 1/2 way...when he made a tree....he made a big tree :)

Same with Adam...he didn't create a baby...He created a man.

Just my 2 cents...

Upvote 0

Truth and Reconciliation

Gloria in Exceslis Deo
Dec 30, 2004
Johns Hopkins University
Visit site
✟15,656.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am personally YEC, but I often refrain from discussing this topic because I feel it's not crucial (I'm not saying that it's unimportant.) to leading a godly life.

So here's my two-cents:

http://www.drdino.com

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

fluffy_rainbow

I've Got a Secret ;-)
Oct 20, 2004
Georgia, USA
✟2,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that the through scientific research that coincides with the Bible to a T that the world is not as young as many YEC believe. Was the earth, universe, and all living things come into existence in literally a week's time? I don't believe so. The Word says that God's timing is different from our own and that a day to God is like a thousand years to us. I believe that God could certainly create all of the universe and living things in seven literal days, but I don't believe that He did.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,740.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
fluffy_rainbow said:
I believe that the through scientific research that coincides with the Bible to a T that the world is not as young as many YEC believe. Was the earth, universe, and all living things come into existence in literally a week's time? I don't believe so. The Word says that God's timing is different from our own and that a day to God is like a thousand years to us. I believe that God could certainly create all of the universe and living things in seven literal days, but I don't believe that He did.

Hi Fluffy:wave:

So do you believe the bible is flawed? When it says seven 'yoms' (days) it could mean just about anything?

What if salvation can be interpreted differently also? God's ways are much higher than ours and who can stop him when he decides to do something.........

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
TwinCrier said:
Only YOU can answer how or if this effects your salvation or helps you live more Christ-like. It's obviously of some importance else it wouldn't be mentioned in the bible at all.
It was a rhetorical question. It does not affect my relationship with God, my salvation, or my duties to live as a follower of Christ.

As for the importance of how God created the universe and the argument that the mere mention of it in the Bible makes it "important" enough for there to be seven or eight hotly contested theories to divide up believers, why then do we not spend as much time staking out our positions on how many nails were used on the cross or whether he carried the whole cross or just the crossbeam. All that is mentioned in the Bible, too.

When do we sweep on to the "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin" question?

A. an infinite number (infinitarians)
B. one only (solitudism)
C. unknowable (anti-gnostic theory of angelology)
D. varies by time (theistic anti-matter dispensationalists)
E. none (perpetual angelic gap theory)

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are we talking push pin or hat pin? J/K Ok, if your own origin isn't impoertant in your walk with the Lord, so be it. But for many of us it is of importance, so don't expect us all to dismiss it. This forum is to discuss and debate it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
TwinCrier said:
Are we talking push pin or hat pin? J/K Ok, if your own origin isn't impoertant in your walk with the Lord, so be it. But for many of us it is of importance, so don't expect us all to dismiss it. This forum is to discuss and debate it.
Oh, debating it is fun, all right and you are entitled to do just that. My question was this, "what good does it do?" Really, what exactly IS this importance to anyone of us that you speak of?

You asked *if my origin is not important to me in my walk,* etc., but I never said that. On the other hand, I'm open to you telling me how it is. You didn't do that although I asked the question before.

There's a difference between atheistic theories of evolution and believing in it being God's work, I recognize, but what do we gain by arguing several competing theories about how God did it?? That's part of this exercise.

Our human minds can't comprehend eternity, what was before the beginning, or just what God's timetable might have been like, anyway. We know he did it. Now we have a little time to do other things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
TwinCrier said:
If your asking what good does it do for you, only you can anser that. As for me, it builds my faith tremendously and encourages me in my walk with God.
OK, we can only speak for ourselves on such matters as this one. For me, I have no doubt that God is in charge of the universe and created it. Debating with other believers over the details and worrying about the exact way in which God did his creation is a distraction, not something that builds my faith. But each of us is entitled to see things differently, and thanks for comparing notes.

Upvote 0

Dale Martin

Jan 6, 2005
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Young Earth,

Because I know that the scriptures contain verifiable history and verifiable prophecies, and because God sent his only BEGOTTEN Son to die a extremely cruel death to redeem us from our sin, I absolutely believe that all of scripture is true and complete, the final word of God and that God does not lie or deceive. I may not be able to explain how God did it to your satisfaction. I do know that the "THEORY" of evolution is full of holes and so for full of unexplainable events and when studied in total it takes much more "blind faith" to accept the "theory" of evolution as real.

"AS for me and my house we will serve the Lord. . ."

Upvote 0

Dale Martin

Jan 6, 2005
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
RE: "Young Biological Creation (YBC) and a Old Universe."

I have to admit that it sounds very plausible and I used to lean in that direction but in my case it was from a position of ignorance. At one time I was very week and insecure in my faith. I was trying to believe by "Blind Faith". I have since come to believe that blind faith does not exist. When I began a sincere search for the truth I came to understand the complexities of the scriptures and fully realized that the scriptures are fully and completely the word of God. Faith is built on knowledge so I no longer just believe in God I know God. So in short the exact method of creation became unimportant. I know that God did create "our" world in six days. I still except the Genesis account primarily because I know that the God that created any part of this earth, man or animal or what ever could have created the whole thing just as the traditional Genesis account states. I am not saying that (YBC) is wrong or incorrect I simply believe the new earth creation. It is not an essential of faith in my eyes. It is a issue on which we can disagree and still know each other as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Micah 6:8
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Have a blessed weekend,
Dale

Upvote 0

Dale Martin

Jan 6, 2005
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Albion said:
....and the right answer affects my salvation or helps me live a more Christlike life, how?
Just my opinion but, I feel that to begin accepting flaws in the scripture is inviting trouble. If God did not inspire the translation of the scriptures including Genesis then we can not trust the rest of the Bible to be accurate. I agree that as our knowledge increases in Greek and Hebrew we are able to clarify scripture to a better understanding. Nothing as yet would hold up to the standards that is required for amendment or change to the creation account.

In Christ,

Dale

Reactions: keyarch
Upvote 0