Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! I'll keep it in mind for watching.

Be prepared to get your tissues out when you watch it. It is an emotional film. Well, at least both my wife and I teared up. It's not a sad movie, but it has moments that are very emotional. It is an "action / sci fi" with some great Christian messages. I have watched it several times and I liked it so much that I bought the DVD and watched the behind the scenes featurette, and the commentary. Don't let the trailer fool you. It's actually a great movie. Just pop it in and enjoy the ride, brother.

In fact, I actually did not even want to watch this movie after seeing the trailers. But after having watched another Christian movie on Amazon Prime, this movie came up to play next, and I was like, "Okay. I will give it shot but I do not have high hopes for it." Man, was I wrong. This is a great Christian film!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible.

If you are referring to "The Bible: In the Beginning", I never seen this classic film.

You said:
The Ten Commandments.

I think I seen parts of it, but I don't really recall much of it. I like the Prince of Egypt animated film. For me, that is a close equivalent to the story of Moses. It has some great performances and animation.

Then again, art is subjective.
We each like what we like.

Anyways, thank you for sharing, and blessings to you in the Lord tonight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am also not a big fan of Jim Caviezel as an actor, either. His reading for the Word of Promise dramatized audio Bible is really bad - IMO. No emotion went into the reading for the part of Jesus. It just felt like he was reading the lines flat with no change in inflection. The best reading for Jesus for a dramatized audio Bible is Blair Underwood - IMO.

I thought Caviezel was pretty good with the Word of Promise but I listened to this Blair Underwood clip you put down....very good as well.

Some audio renditions of other's I didn't quite like. I have one by James Earl Jones, a good rendition and I always smile when I hear it as it makes me think Darth Vader got saved and he's reading us the scriptures. (as many know James Earl Jones was the voice of Vader in Star Wars) John Cash did the full New Testament too. Very nice to hear.

Carleton Heston did the book of Genesis too. Pretty good.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I thought Caviezel was pretty good with the Word of Promise but I listened to this Blair Underwood clip you put down....very good as well.

Some audio renditions of other's I didn't quite like. I have one by James Earl Jones, a good rendition and I always smile when I hear it as it makes me think Darth Vader got saved and he's reading us the scriptures. (as many know James Earl Jones was the voice of Vader in Star Wars) John Cash did the full New Testament too. Very nice to hear.

Carleton Heston did the book of Genesis too. Pretty good.

The thing is that the other voices for dramatized audio version Bible (i.e. called: "Inspired by: The Bible Experience" which stars Blair Underwood as Jesus) is not so good. The other voice actors are kind of cheesy. It would be nice if they did another Word of Promise audio Bible series with with the readings of Jesus by Blair Underwood. Also, another narrator would be better, too. Perhaps Alexander Scourby. I suppose I will just have to just flip back and forth for now, though.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you are referring to "The Bible: In the Beginning", I never seen this classic film.
The poster for the movie has THE BIBLE in big letters with "in the beginning" decidedly small. Almost as an afterthought.

I saw the movie around the time that it was in theatres. 1966. I didn't know the actors and actresses from other movies that they may have done so that helped me to accept what was portrayed.

If I've seen actor/esses in other movies or tv then it detracts from the story for me.
I think I seen parts of it, but I don't really recall much of it. I like the Prince of Egypt animated film. For me, that is a close equivalent to the story of Moses. It has some great performances and animation.
I couldn't enjoy a Disney portrayal of anything close to Biblical. I've been too exposed to the other works of Disney to make it work for me.
I never seen the original, but the remake is really entertaining (albeit not a perfect film).
On average remakes usually don't work.
I remember liking it the first time I seen it in the theaters.
But many years later when I tried to rewatch it after I renewed my faith in the Lord, I could not stand to watch it anymore. It was too slow. I am also not a big fan of Jim Caviezel as an actor, either.
Strangely contradictory to what I've previously said.. I could accept Jim's portrayal of Jesus. Mostly because I knew that he is Christian. But strangely again.. I usually can't get into the story if the actor who portray's Jesus was also in other movies I've seen. I just can't get over the recognition of who they really are.
His reading for the Word of Promise dramatized audio Bible is really bad - IMO.
I haven't listened to any audios of Jim C. But, on the topic of how portrayers of Jesus talk.. it always bothered me when "Jesus" sounded more like the actor watched sermons from preachers in order to get an idea how he should sound.
No emotion went into the reading for the part of Jesus. It just felt like he was reading the lines flat with no change in inflection.
Yes, like a preacher preaching a sermon. Or such as Alexander Scorby. In UK accent. Appropriate Elizabethan, but not likely how Jesus sounded at all.
The best reading for Jesus for a dramatized audio Bible is Blair Underwood - IMO.
I picked a video at random to listen to. Sorry but I'm too picky I guess. He voiced several people, as well as Jesus. I couldn't get into it for that reason.
My favorite Jesus films are: Risen, and the Life of Jesus (Gospel of John).
My favorite scene for the Lord's supper, and the crucifixion is: The Son of God film (that was originally a part of an episode in a TV mini series).

It's good that there are movies and dramas taken from the Bible in the marketplace for Christians to enjoy, but there are so many reasons why I have trouble enjoying them.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Be prepared to get your tissues out when you watch it. It is an emotional film. Well, at least both my wife and I teared up. It's not a sad movie, but it has moments that are very emotional. It is an "action / sci fi" with some great Christian messages. I have watched it several times and I liked it so much that I bought the DVD and watched the behind the scenes featurette, and the commentary. Don't let the trailer fool you. It's actually a great movie. Just pop it in and enjoy the ride, brother.

In fact, I actually did not even want to watch this movie after seeing the trailers. But after having watched another Christian movie on Amazon Prime, this movie came up to play next, and I was like, "Okay. I will give it shot but I do not have high hopes for it." Man, was I wrong. This is a great Christian film!
If I'm not married will it strike me the same, I wonder? :scratch:

Does anyone remember some movie about a teenage kid who has a bad relationship with his dad and whose mother dies of cancer? There's a shed in their backyard or something that was left unfinished after the mother died and then this kid decides to finish it. I saw the first half and then never saw the rest and don't know what it was called...

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I never seen the original, but the remake is really entertaining (albeit not a perfect film).

I remember liking it the first time I seen it in the theaters.
But many years later when I tried to rewatch it after I renewed my faith in the Lord, I could not stand to watch it anymore. It was too slow. I am also not a big fan of Jim Caviezel as an actor, either. His reading for the Word of Promise dramatized audio Bible is really bad - IMO. No emotion went into the reading for the part of Jesus. It just felt like he was reading the lines flat with no change in inflection. The best reading for Jesus for a dramatized audio Bible is Blair Underwood - IMO.

My favorite Jesus films are: Risen, and the Life of Jesus (Gospel of John).
My favorite scene for the Lord's supper, and the crucifixion is: The Son of God film (that was originally a part of an episode in a TV mini series).

Yes, I really liked Risen for it's accurate depiction of the Roman culture and for the actor who played Jesus. He was basically the way I always hoped Jesus will be like (though I'm sure He'll be a whole lot better even). Plus, I enjoyed the focus on the church's beginning which isn't as often focused on.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The poster for the movie has THE BIBLE in big letters with "in the beginning" decidedly small. Almost as an afterthought.

I saw the movie around the time that it was in theatres. 1966. I didn't know the actors and actresses from other movies that they may have done so that helped me to accept what was portrayed.

Movies that I thought I liked from long ago, I sometimes no longer like anymore. I have found that my taste in movies change with time.

You said:
I couldn't enjoy a Disney portrayal of anything close to Biblical. I've been too exposed to the other works of Disney to make it work for me.

Although Disney animators may have worked on Prince of Egypt, it is technically not made by Disney. Dreamworks pictures made the film, and it was one of the most sucessful non-Disney animated films for it's time.

The Prince of Egypt - Wikipedia

You said:
On average remakes usually don't work.

I have not seen the original. So for me, it was not a problem. It was an entertaining film (albeit not a perfect movie). It had some great Christian messages.

You said:
Strangely contradictory to what I've previously said.. I could accept Jim's portrayal of Jesus. Mostly because I knew that he is Christian. But strangely again.. I usually can't get into the story if the actor who portray's Jesus was also in other movies I've seen. I just can't get over the recognition of who they really are.

Well, Jim Caviezel is Catholic. So that is a different version of Christianity that I do not exactly agree with in regards to what the Bible says.

You said:
I picked a video at random to listen to. Sorry but I'm too picky I guess. He voiced several people, as well as Jesus. I couldn't get into it for that reason.

Art is subjective. We like we like, and we don't like what we don't like.

You said:
It's good that there are movies and dramas taken from the Bible in the marketplace for Christians to enjoy, but there are so many reasons why I have trouble enjoying them.

Have you seen the Christian movies on my list?
Or are you simply not interested?
If you are not interested, what troubles you in watching such movies?
For me: I only watch Christian movies and educational documentaries, and not secular movies.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If I'm not married will it strike me the same, I wonder?

Not sure. Everyone is different.
If marriage is important to you in the future, then I suppose on some level, .... "yes."

You said:
Does anyone remember some movie about a teenage kid who has a bad relationship with his dad and whose mother dies of cancer? There's a shed in their backyard or something that was left unfinished after the mother died and then this kid decides to finish it. I saw the first half and then never saw the rest and don't know what it was called...

It does not sound familar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I really liked Risen for it's accurate depiction of the Roman culture and for the actor who played Jesus. He was basically the way I always hoped Jesus will be like (though I'm sure He'll be a whole lot better even). Plus, I enjoyed the focus on the church's beginning which isn't as often focused on.

I agree, brother.

:oldthumbsup:

Reactions: Messerve
Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Movies that I thought I liked from long ago, I sometimes no longer like anymore. I have found that my taste in movies change with time.

Although Disney animators may have worked on Prince of Egypt, it is technically not made by Disney. Dreamworks pictures made the film, and it was one of the most sucessful non-Disney animated films for it's time.
Disney owns Dreamworks so I don't see the difference that you seek to make.

I have not seen the original. So for me, it was not a problem. It was an entertaining film (albeit not a perfect movie). It had some great Christian messages.
As long as I equate it with Disney, I couldn't watch it.
Well, Jim Caviezel is Catholic.
Yes, I know that however I consider Catholics to be an acceptable branch of Christianity so I referred to him as Christian.
So that is a different version of Christianity that I do not exactly agree with in regards to what the Bible says.
I don't agree with some of the Catholic theology, doctrines either. However, that is no cause for objection as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have an actor who believes in God portraying Jesus than one who doesn't. Such as the actor in "Jesus Christ Superstar". Who has btw become Christian since then.
Have you seen the Christian movies on my list? Or are you simply not interested? If you are not interested, what troubles you in watching such movies?
When movies are made depicting events of the Bible I tend to avoid them.. because.. they can be over dramatized, they can be inaccurate in attempting to act out what is not clear in the Bible concerning the actual person's response or reaction. Things like that break the margin of acceptance for me.

I seek accuracy in order to allow full immersion .. in my opinion that is something that no movie can fully give.

What I would want to be possible is that God (when we're all in heaven, or during the Messianic Millennium) make the events of the Bible literally viewable as exactly they happened like watching a movie or tv series.

Now that I would definitely watch.
For me: I only watch Christian movies and educational documentaries, and not secular movies.
So, you dismiss the Bible based movies that I've seen because they were made by secular means.. yet you consider Dreamworks "to technically" not be secular?

Indeed, I have my reasons why I watch or don't watch, and so do you.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Now if they did a remake of The Prince of Egypt with real people like Disney has been doing with everything lately, that would be a movie I would definitely go to see.

I know there are inconsistencies with the Biblical narrative for sure, but it's still not a horrible artistic take on the story.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Disney owns Dreamworks so I don't see the difference that you seek to make. As long as I equate it with Disney, I couldn't watch it.

Well, when Dreamworks made "Prince of Egypt," it was not owned by Disney. According to Wikipedia, "Prince of Egypt" is not a Disney film. For Wikipedia states, I quote:

"The film went on to gross over $218 million worldwide in theaters, which made it the most successful non-Disney animated feature at the time."

Source:

You said:
Yes, I know that however I consider Catholics to be an acceptable branch of Christianity so I referred to him as Christian. I don't agree with some of the Catholic theology, doctrines either. However, that is no cause for objection as far as I'm concerned.

Well, let's agree to disagree on this one.
I am also not a fan of Jim Caviezel's acting, either.
For me, this pulls me out of the film.

You said:
I'd rather have an actor who believes in God portraying Jesus than one who doesn't. Such as the actor in "Jesus Christ Superstar". Who has btw become Christian since then.

This is not surprising. Jesus Christ Superstar is a film that actually insults or mocks Jesus Christ. So I do not consider it to be a Christian film.

You said:
When movies are made depicting events of the Bible I tend to avoid them.. because.. they can be over dramatized, they can be inaccurate in attempting to act out what is not clear in the Bible concerning the actual person's response or reaction. Things like that break the margin of acceptance for me.

Well, not all Christian films are based on an actual narrative taken directly from the Bible. Only 3 out of the 16 films on my list are taken directly from the accounts within Scripture. I also do understand where you are coming from. For me, if there is no major violation of Theology, and or a change of major Biblical facts (unlike the recent big budget movie called Noah starring Russell Crowe) I think it is wonderful to have Bible based films so as to help lead people to Jesus Christ.

You said:
I seek accuracy in order to allow full immersion .. in my opinion that is something that no movie can fully give.

Again, most Christian movies are not always based on adaptations from the narratives in the Bible. The problem with Christian movies today is finding one that does not have a low production value, and or poor acting, etc.; So you have to look around to find the good ones. I believe my list is a successful portrayal of a handful of good Christian films.

What I would want to be possible is that God (when we're all in heaven, or during the Messianic Millennium) make the events of the Bible literally viewable as exactly they happened like watching a movie or tv series. Now that I would definitely watch.

Yes, that is something I thought about, as well.
However, it is possible that nothing of the past within the Millennium will be brought to anyone's attention anymore. For the Scriptures suggest that the Millennium will be a time when the former things will not come to mind anymore. For it is written:

"For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind." (Isaiah 65:17).

Bible Highlighter said:
You said:
So, you dismiss the Bible based movies that I've seen because they were made by secular means.. yet you consider Dreamworks "to technically" not be secular?

For me: A secular movie (and not a Christian movie) is defined by the fact that it does not promote Jesus Christ, and or the Bible in some way as it's core central point of it's narrative and it does not uphold the moral values of the Bible so as to lead a person to the Lord and or building a relationship with Him.

Yes, a Christian movie should be directed by a Christian, and the protagonist should be a Christian. I think we can tell the fake Bible films that have cropped up in recent years like Noah (starring Russel Crowe) and Exodus: Gods and Kings (starring Christian Bale).

Its sad when this happens because it mutilates the Bible.
While the story of the film may not be inherently secular in that it denies God, it is an attempt to re-write the Bible in a way that is insulting to what the Bible actually says.
Darren Aronofsky (director of Noah) says he is not religious. Russell Crowe (Noah) has professed that he has never made a commitment to any particular religion. Ridley Scott (director of Exodus: Gods and Kings) is a professed atheist, and Christian Bale (the star of this Exodus film) gave thanks to satan at his recent golden globes win. So yeah, I understand that there are false Bible films out there that seek to attack what the Bible says. The fact that these men seek to re-write the Bible in a way that insults God is not correct. You can tell how really bad these kinds of movies are. They not only are horribly directed, and performed, but they also seek to mock God and His Word (even though they mention God and base the story loosely on the Bible).

This is not what I was referring to when I say "secular film."
Those would be a highly inaccurate Bible based films.
A secular film is any movie that does not promote God, the Bible, or Jesus in any way as it's core central theme or plot. When I say I don't watch secular movies, I am referring to movies like the Avengers, Star Trek, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, etc.

You said:
Indeed, I have my reasons why I watch or don't watch, and so do you.

For me: Christ comes first in everything I do. If something does not promote the Lord and His good ways, then I am not going to watch it. We are told in Scripture this:

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him." (1 John 2:15).​

A good Christian movies helps me to rejoice in the truth of what is within Scripture. But I do understand some of your concerns.

Anyways, may God bless you (even if we do not exactly agree on everything).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@fwGod

For me, here is an example of a good Christian film.

full

To see the show time dates and if it is playing near your city, check out the bottom page of their website here:
Play The Flute Movie

It is directed by a Christian, and it stars a Christian.
The core central idea of the film is to lead people to Christ and to study His Word. This was great film, and this is what I had in mind when it comes to a good Christian movie.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, when Dreamworks made "Prince of Egypt," it was not owned by Disney. According to Wikipedia, "Prince of Egypt" is not a Disney film. For Wikipedia states, I quote:

"The film went on to gross over $218 million worldwide in theaters, which made it the most successful non-Disney animated feature at the time."

Source:
It's sad when this particular thing has to be repeated. The similarity with Disney is still there because of Jeffrey Katzenberg who formerly worked there. But now that I think of it.. any cartoon production of Bible content and characters done by anyone would probably turn me off.
Well, let's agree to disagree on this one.
I am also not a fan of Jim Caviezel's acting, either.
For me, this pulls me out of the film.
Agreement to disagree on this one.
This is not surprising. Jesus Christ Superstar is a film that actually insults or mocks Jesus Christ. So I do not consider it to be a Christian film.
Exactly why I mentioned as diametrically opposing that of a Christian movie.
Well, not all Christian films are based on an actual narrative taken directly from the Bible. Only 3 out of the 16 films on my list are taken directly from the accounts within Scripture. I also do understand where you are coming from. For me, if there is no major violation of Theology, and or a change of major Biblical facts (unlike the recent big budget movie called Noah starring Russell Crowe)
That wasn't intended to be honoring the Bible. But just using minor elements and taking it wherever they wanted to go with it.
I think it is wonderful to have Bible based films so as to help lead people to Jesus Christ.
If it's possible, Christians should use every available means.
Again, most Christian movies are not always based on adaptations from the narratives in the Bible. The problem with Christian movies today is finding one that does not have a low production value, and or poor acting, etc.; So you have to look around to find the good ones. I believe my list is a successful portrayal of a handful of good Christian films.
As long as people are not as picky as me.
Yes, that is something I thought about, as well.
However, it is possible that nothing of the past within the Millennium will be brought to anyone's attention anymore. For the Scriptures suggest that the Millennium will be a time when the former things will not come to mind anymore. For it is written:

"For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind." (Isaiah 65:17).
That makes it sound like the Bible will not be around or remembered by anyone at that time. That would include your list of Scriptural based movies.

But that way of thinking just isn't correct. God's word endures forever. And anything made by God's word, anything honoring God's word will endure forever.

What will not come to mind anymore are the secular ways. Just like we who lived in sin but when we got saved, "all of the old is passed away, and all of the new is of God."

Therefore, my thought of God providing actual Bible events as they occurred in movie form is very much possible. After all, would God let Christians who make their movies to tell the Bible stories out-do Him?
For me: A secular movie (and not a Christian movie) is defined by the fact that it does not promote Jesus Christ, and or the Bible in some way as it's core central point of it's narrative and it does not uphold the moral values of the Bible so as to lead a person to the Lord and or building a relationship with Him.
Yet, God used a donkey to get a man to obey. The story of the prodigal son proves that God can use any secular thing to lead or turn a person to redemption.
Yes, a Christian movie should be directed by a Christian, and the protagonist should be a Christian. I think we can tell the fake Bible films that have cropped up in recent years like Noah (starring Russel Crowe) and Exodus: Gods and Kings (starring Christian Bale).
I don't know of either of those.
Its sad when this happens because it mutilates the Bible.
While the story of the film may not be inherently secular in that it denies God, it is an attempt to re-write the Bible in a way that is insulting to what the Bible actually says.
Darren Aronofsky (director of Noah) says he is not religious. Russell Crowe (Noah) has professed that he has never made a commitment to any particular religion. Ridley Scott (director of Exodus: Gods and Kings) is a professed atheist, and Christian Bale (the star of this Exodus film) gave thanks to satan at his recent golden globes win. So yeah, I understand that there are false Bible films out there that seek to attack what the Bible says. The fact that these men seek to re-write the Bible in a way that insults God is not correct. You can tell how really bad these kinds of movies are. They not only are horribly directed, and performed, but they also seek to mock God and His Word (even though they mention God and base the story loosely on the Bible).

This is not what I was referring to when I say "secular film."
Those would be a highly inaccurate Bible based films.
A secular film is any movie that does not promote God, the Bible, or Jesus in any way as it's core central theme or plot.
When I say I don't watch secular movies, I am referring to movies like the Avengers, Star Trek, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, etc.
When I was prodigal.. I watched those movies. But I wouldn't want to get into discussion about them any more.
For me: Christ comes first in everything I do. If something does not promote the Lord and His good ways, then I am not going to watch it. We are told in Scripture this:

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him." (1 John 2:15).​
I didn't watch those movies because I loved them. I watched them because I found them to be entertaining one way or another. But I didn't become a fan of them. I didn't frame my way of life according to them. They were simply a way to use up an hour or two in my day. After they finished, I went on to other things to occupy my time.
A good Christian movies helps me to rejoice in the truth of what is within Scripture. But I do understand some of your concerns.

Anyways, may God bless you (even if we do not exactly agree on everything).
I think that it would be dull indeed if we all agreed completely on movies to watch or not watch.. and why.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's sad when this particular thing has to be repeated. The similarity with Disney is still there because of Jeffrey Katzenberg who formerly worked there. But now that I think of it.. any cartoon production of Bible content and characters done by anyone would probably turn me off.

So it is more of it being the medium that you don't like and not the company and or the person? Yes, I am aware of Disney and it's immorality pushed within its films. Jeffrey Katzenberg is actually Jewish, so regardless of his previous work material (that I am unaware of), I am sure his work in regards to the Prince of Egypt would have been to seek to honor God. For me: It was really great movie (even if it is not taken verbatim from the Scripture), but seeing you do not like animated films or any slight deviation of the Bible (that does not change major theology, then that is something you simply will not like. So I would not recommend this film for you to see. Some of my family (who are older) do not like animated films. This is understandable. They did not have the same childhood that I had. I grew up watching cartoons as a kid, so an animated film works for me and it is not a problem.

Bible Highlighter said:
(unlike the recent big budget movie called Noah starring Russell Crowe
You said:
That wasn't intended to be honoring the Bible. But just using minor elements and taking it wherever they wanted to go with it.

Why are you lecturing me about something I already condemned?
The reason why I brought up Noah and Exodus: Gods and Kings is because they do not honor God, and they insult the Bible, friend. I also see the Apostle Paul movie as being in league with these kinds of films.

Bible Highlighter said:
I think it is wonderful to have Bible based films so as to help lead people to Jesus Christ.
You said:
If it's possible, Christians should use every available means.

I agree. But we should make it clear that not everything in these films is an exact representation of reality, and Christ should be exalted above all.

You said:
As long as people are not as picky as me.

I find it hard to imagine not liking some of the films on my list. But to each their own (of course). I would recommend "Redemption of Henry Myers" and "Play the Flute" for you. They are really good Christian films.

full

You can rent it online at Amazon Prime Video:
Amazon.com: Watch The Redemption of Henry Myers | Prime Video

full

To see the show time dates and if it is playing near your city, check out the bottom page of their website here:
Play The Flute Movie

You said:
That makes it sound like the Bible will not be around or remembered by anyone at that time. That would include your list of Scriptural based movies.

But that way of thinking just isn't correct. God's word endures forever. And anything made by God's word, anything honoring God's word will endure forever.

What will not come to mind anymore are the secular ways. Just like we who lived in sin but when we got saved, "all of the old is passed away, and all of the new is of God."

I don't see it that way, but let's agree to disagree.

You said:
Therefore, my thought of God providing actual Bible events as they occurred in movie form is very much possible. After all, would God let Christians who make their movies to tell the Bible stories out-do Him?
Yet, God used a donkey to get a man to obey. The story of the prodigal son proves that God can use any secular thing to lead or turn a person to redemption.
I don't know of either of those.
When I was prodigal.. I watched those movies. But I wouldn't want to get into discussion about them any more.

Well, I don't believe Christians today (Who are taken up in the Pre-Trib Rapture) will go through the Millennium. Select Jews (who have the land promise) and those Christians who are beheaded for Christ during the End Times will go through the Millennium. I understand that the works of man (that includes Scripture) is not the same as the Bible. But we can agree to disagree on this point.

You said:
I didn't watch those movies because I loved them. I watched them because I found them to be entertaining one way or another. But I didn't become a fan of them. I didn't frame my way of life according to them. They were simply a way to use up an hour or two in my day. After they finished, I went on to other things to occupy my time.

The Bible says be not deceived, evil communications corrupt good manners (1 Corinthians 15:33).

You said:
I think that it would be dull indeed if we all agreed completely on movies to watch or not watch.. and why.

I am not expecting for you to agree with my taste in Christian movies. I can only recommend what I think you may like. Whether you like them is another matter. We all like what we like and don't like. But after this discussion, it has helped me to ponder my recommendation on films that are taken from Bible stories, though.

Anyways, may you be blessed by the Lord today.

Sincerely,

~ J.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I also like Christian movies set in a specific historic time. I saw an old one called "A Man for All Seasons" about Thomas More and King Henry VIII.

I cannot get into anything Catholic because I am strongly against Catholicism (biblically speaking).

You said:
And I saw a more recent one about the Underground Railroad that was good.

Trailer?

Upvote 0