LDS What caused eternal matter to exist?

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
dzheremi says:

This is not rocket science. The church started into an apostacy even before the apostles died. But by the time the apostles were all killed, the apostacy was in a sharper decline. By 150-170, at the time of Justin were still those that lived that had learned directly from the apostles and had been ordained by the hand of apostles, but the apostacy decline was continuing. There is no magic date, but by 200, Sabellius was messing with the very nature of God and Jesus and the HS, and was creating a proto-1 god Christian God. The last of those taught by the apostles were now dying, and the apostacy decline moved sharper down.
With the Arian disputes and the head of the church being in the hands of a non-Christian tyrant, the apostacy decline moved markedly downward, so that by Constantines Council of Nicea, it was in full swing. By this time the church was in the hands of the Constantines and it was gone. Good and righteous people still performed good and righteous deeds, but the priesthood was gone, the true foundation of the church was gone, the keys of the kingdom of heaven were gone, so the doctrines were changed, there was no more revelation. What is left?

Just because I use a 4th century bishop to make a point about the 1st century, that does not damage my point at all. I will even quote a 16th century Luther to support my view of the apostacy, so how does that damage my point?

What do you think about Eusebius's comment about the church of Jerusalem was a beautiful virgin before the apostles were killed, but after the apostles died, it lost its virginity. What does that mean? You side stepped the quote by concentrating on the date of the quote.

I will compare the organization of the Mormon church to any mainline Christian church in existence today and I promise you that we will be far closer to the original church than any of them. People understand this and join our church because of this.

You quote who you wish, I will quote who I wish. If you are going to quote a person after 200ad, then in my eyes it does not hold much weight, unless they are witnessing, and telling the truth about the apostacy.

You study an early church of your own making too. Your leaders must maintain the illusion so as to continue to live in luxury and have power and prestige. Like I said before, since 200 or so, the history of the church is not a lot different than the game of thrones. If you were to read the history with that kind of a view, you would know that I am right. You read all the bad in the history with little thought, and tuck it away in some dark closet or sweep it under the rug.
These bishops were empire builders as much or more than they were overseers of the flock. The history is clear, and again that is why we have hundreds of Christian churchs all teaching different doctrines and ways of salvation. Think about it.

A few things Peter.

The section I have put in bold seems to imply on your part that you are willing to dismiss evidence which goes counter to your Mormon faith and only accept that which you accept. That is, whatever confirms your initial belief of the great Apostasy is true, whatever speaks against that belief is false. Historically, if we find people testifying to the reality of the Church not being in Apostasy how can we take any statements of theirs which are perhaps implying the Church is not perfect (it never has been perfect) and use that as evidence for an apostasy? This seems like an unjustified bias on your part, you are looking at one side of the evidence and refusing the other.

For instance You are quoting Eusebius who is not actually making the comment himself regarding the Church being until that point (the death of the Apostles) a pure and undefiled virgin but rather a man called Hegesippus. The context reveals that it wasn't the Church that was the cause of this accusation but the existence of heretics seeking to lead others astray by their "impious error." History bears this out with the existence of many gnostic groups who tried to teach people a false gospel while the Church responded to these challenges and defended the truth through men like Ignatius of Antioch, Ireneaus and etc.

Now you call our vision of the Church an illusion and accuse our Church leaders of having to believe in it simply to live in luxury. Far be it from me to know the hearts and minds of my Church leaders but perhaps you do know their hearts and minds. But you were addressing Dzhremi here and his Church is the Oriental Orthodox Church and in their native Egypt could you really stand in front he current Pope and tell him that he is holding on to a delusion for the sake of his own prosperity? The Egyptian Coptic community faces persecution on a daily basis at the hands of Muslims and it was even recently that the Pope while participating in the Holy Week liturgy (palm Sunday I believe) was caught up in a terrorist attack. You might be right but please consider, you might be wrong and that you have no right to judge the hearts of all non Mormon Church leaders as if you know them. The same accusations could be levied against your own living Apostles whom are guaranteed a house, food and as some recent documents have revealed even money (contrary to Mormon apologists claims they are not paid). Could I not make the same accusation against them that you are making against our clergy?

I would also question the notion that since the Church "was in the hands of Constantine" it ceased to exist. What is the reasoning behind this? What in the essence of the Church changed exactly? Yes there was now a co-operation with the state but that is hardly against what God has done before using Israel as a state. Does the Emperor now giving Christians the freedom to worship, patronising it and even helping it overcome a Church dividing issue like Arianism mean that it ceased to exist when he became a member of it? This is not a Mormon idea alone but it is an idea without merit, especially when we consider the development of theology before and after Constantine. I think it an amazing testimony to the Church's ability to resist the power of Emperors in that it did not become Arian despite there two Emperors after Constantine who embraced that heresy and favoured it, along with Julian the Apostate who sought to fracture Christendom.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
A few things Peter.
The section I have put in bold seems to imply on your part that you are willing to dismiss evidence which goes counter to your Mormon faith and only accept that which you accept.
Although I view the history with an eye on the apostacy, I do not dismiss the incredible good works of thousands, maybe millions of good and righteous people down through the ages. So much of the history is beautiful and fulfilling.

But then again, so much of the history is filled with greed, and avarice, and empire building, and maintaining thrones, and luxury, and unrighteousness, and hunger for power, and slaughter, and ruthlessness, ungodliness at the highest levels, and I can go on, but I stop.

I would also question the notion that since the Church "was in the hands of Constantine" it ceased to exist. What is the reasoning behind this?

To help you understand this concept, I will refer to the apostate condition of the Jewish church in the time of Christ. In fact the last prophet to speak in the name of the Lord was Malachai, 500 years before Christ. From Malachai's time till the time of Christ, the church was on a direct downhill slide into full apostacy.

So by the time of Christ, the man that chose the High Priest was not God, it was Rome, and the emperor of Rome or one of his representatives. Therefore, not being chosen by God, the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven were lost. All decisions by a High Priest chosen by Rome had no powers from heaven. He could not even identify his Messiah, which he preached about every Sunday when he preached a sermon. None of his ordained clergy had any real power from God and therefore their ordinances were not recognized by heaven. None of the priests in the Jewish church by the time of Christ were recognized by heaven. Hence no real technical Jewish church.

Constantine was the titular head of the church. He called the shots.
All the bishops bowed to him, because he could raise them up or he could crush them. He, however, did not have the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Therefore, all decisions he made, all bishops he approved and disapproved of, and all ordinances done by these bishops were not recognized in heaven. IOW the technical church, with its power to bind and loose on earth and it would be bound and loosed in heaven did not exist

A church with the outward appearance of a church existed, but the power to act in the name of Jesus Christ through the keys that Jesus left with Peter did not exist. Hence no real or technical church existed.

The apostacy really did take place, Constantine is the poster boy for that condition.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think you do dismiss the good work Peter in that I don't know if you could point to specific examples of people doing good for God and the Church after the apostasy. Certainty you would have to look at any text written by a clergyman, monk or faithful person as being suspect given your Mormonism. It's an empty claim to say there were many who did good when you can't provide any examples of people who positively were good. I consider it much like the claim certain landmark Baptists make. They say there was a true Church, it was there all throughout history, yet they can't point to a single person in the second century or third century or fifth century that represents their particular group. So my question following that would be, how do you know people did good or that there were sincere religious people? If there were sincere religious believers why did God allow them to be under an utterly corrupt an abominable Church and not bring them into full communion to himself? Think of the missed opportunities by people who thought they were married in a sacrament but were in reality lied to. Their earthly marriage was useless.

Now I've heard this point before about the Judaism of Jesus' day being in Apostasy yet I don't buy it. For one thing we see Prophets after Malachi at work before Jesus came to us and in fact those prophets testified about Christ. We see Jesus also participating in the life of the Jewish Synagogue of his day and he even tells the people to listen to the pharisees who sit on the seat of Moses but not to do what they do. The Pharisees as a group being relatively recent and antedating the bible and the Maccabean period, so how if there was an apostasy can they be said to sit in the chair of Moses? They can't. Paul even respects the Chief Priest as a leader of the Jewish people though obviously they disagree.

As for Constantine being the head of the Church, how so? He was Emperor sure, but was he the one who decided the Church's doctrine? Which Bishop did he approve of exactly except for maybe the Bishop of his own local Constantinople? Was he one who organised the Church on a local level? What about the succession of Churches which Constantine didn't have a hand in? But I am curious, since you identify Constantine as the primary cause of Apostasy, what do you do about the second century Church which did not have Prophets or Apostles as visible leaders? Surely the Apostasy was in effects since at least the early second century since there is no hint of Mormon doctrine existing anywhere.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
in their native Egypt could you really stand in front he current Pope and tell him that he is holding on to a delusion for the sake of his own prosperity? The Egyptian Coptic community faces persecution on a daily basis at the hands of Muslims and it was even recently that the Pope while participating in the Holy Week liturgy (palm Sunday I believe) was caught up in a terrorist attack.

Yes, it was during the Palm Sunday celebrations in Alexandria and Tanta this year. In total, 45 people were martyred and 126 were injured. The attack in Alexandria occurred at the Cathedral of St. Mark, which is the seat of the Coptic Orthodox papacy together with Cairo (only since the time of HH Pope Christodolos, 1047-1077) at the Hanging Church (Al Mollaqa). Thanks be to God, HH Pope Tawadros left the Cathedral only minutes before the bomb exploded at the gate, in order to go to Tanta to be with the people after learning of the bombing there. (And may God be pleased with the soul of 'Am Nseem, the gate-keeper of the cathedral who gave his life in stopping the terrorist from entering the building.)

Be that as it may, we need not look to such things to prove the point, as the historical examples of the patriarchs and other bishops who bore oppression for the faith began long before the modern era. We might wonder where the luxury was in the life of our common father HH St. Athanasius the Apostolic, who was several exiled from his see by hostile forces which the emperor acquiesced to after Nicea, as was the case with regard to the Arian Synod of Tyre in 335, which led to HH's exile to Trier. This also sheds light on Peter's claim that the Church was in the hands of Constantine, as I am sure we both know (so I write this for Peter; please pay attention here, Peter) that HH St. Athanasius was received as the sole rightful bishop of Alexandria at Trier, Rome, Sardica, and everywhere else he went, and found innocent of any wrongdoing at synods held during this time in Alexandria (339), Rome (340), and Sardica (343). This was all subsequent to the reinstatement of his banishment in 338 after the death of Constantine (May 337), by Constantine's son Constantius II who had Arian sympathies.

Not to mention that even if this were so in the way that Peter would have it, with emperors controlling what the Church believes (rather than some trying to do that and failing, as history actually shows), this then could only have conceivably extended within the Roman/Byzantine Empire itself. As an OO person, I feel somewhat obliged to point out the following facts relevant to this way of looking at history:

• Armenia, which is the first modern/recognizable nation to adopt Christianity in the entire world (under King Tiridates III in 301 AD), was not under the control of the Byzantine Empire until 387, when Armenia was divided between the Sassanid Persians and the Byzantines, with the Byzantines taking control of Western Armenia only. (Aside: the Sassanid Persians and the Byzantines continued to fight each other to the degree that this caused the Armenians to not be able to attend the Council of Chalcedon, as that would be akin to fraternizing with the enemy during an active conflict.) This is obviously well after Nicaea (325), and Western Armenia would remain under Byzantine control only until 536.
  • Pursuant to the above, we should really remember that for a large number of Christians who would've been in 387 and for some time afterwards considered orthodox by all, they were in a hostile environment under leaders within the Persian empire who oppressed all forms of Christianity, as it was the religion associated with their hated enemies, the Byzantines. This was so bad in fact that the Church of the East (since Ephesus 431 known as Nestorians, though that would be anachronistic for this time period) were moved to hold the Synod of Dadisho' in 424, at which they declared their Church to be ecclesiologically independent of the Byzantine Empire, probably in an effort to get the authorities to stop arresting their clergy for having contact with their Byzantine counterparts. See Suha Rassam's Christianity in Iraq for more on this. (It is perhaps interesting to note that the formal rejection of Chalcedon by the Armenians also came by reference to the Armenians in Persia, as it was to them that the two letters of HH Catholicos Babken II, who would chair the council at Dvin in 506 which would formally reject Chalcedon, were addressed in order to assure the Orthodox, by which he of course meant Armenians, that what the Nestorians had been telling them -- namely, that the Greek and Latin churches now agree with them, and not with the Armenians -- was false; HH had not yet learned of what had gone on at Chalcedon, as the Armenians had no representatives there, as I've already mentioned.)
  • The Church in India, est. 52 by St. Thomas, should also be mentioned, as it too was outside of Byzantine control.
  • Likewise too the churches of East Africa, both the Orthodox Tewahedo (modern Ethiopia and Eritrea) who were first sent bishops by HH St. Athanasius the Apostolic after the conversion of the Kingdom of Axum under King Ezana c. 330 (by which point it had been its own kingdom for approximately 230 years), and the Nubian Christian kingdoms, who were a bit later (5th-6th century) but only ever partially theologically allied with Byzantine Christianity and hence the wider Byzantine empire (Nobatia and Alodia were OO, while Makuria was EO).

Taken together, that's a lot of the Christian world right there, including churches that still have millions of followers to this very day, and would've had a much, much larger share of world Christianity in earlier times much closer to the so-called 'apostasy'. I am writing from memory at this point, because I don't have the book in front of me, but I think the previously-mentioned Christianity in Iraq mentions at one point that something like 25% of all the world's Christians were within the territory governed by the See of Seleucia-Ctesiphon in Mesopotamia, which is not too hard to believe if you have ever read about the geographical spread of the Church of the East at its zenith, before it was essentially crushed to death by the twin onslaught of Islam and the Mongols.

So I don't at all buy that saying that "the church was in the hands of Constantine" or any Roman (Byzantine or Latin) emperor actually means anything, particularly if the accusation stays as general as that, with only the assertion that some people somewhere were bad (a point which nobody disputes in the first place) to back it up. Chances are Peter's version of "the church" is a lot more geographically limited than mine, and much more importantly a lot more limited than what the historical record shows us regarding the establishment of Christianity itself across the entire world, spanning several distinct empires with their own rulers, relations, and histories.

That's the problem with worldwide, irrecoverable apostasies lasting hundreds upon hundreds of years: they have to include the entire world during the entire period (which you are loathe to even define with concrete dates, as we have seen), not just the parts or eras you want to selectively focus on in an attempt to prove your unprovable case.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
1 John 4:1 - Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Joseph Smith's spirit encounters do not pass the Biblical test.

The Mormon method of testing spirits:

Doctrine and Covenants 129
1 There are two kinds of beings in heaven, namely: Angels, who are resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones—

2 For instance, Jesus said: Handle me and see, for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

3 Secondly: the spirits of just men made perfect, they who are not resurrected, but inherit the same glory.

4 When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you.

5 If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand.

6 If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear

7 Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the order of heaven for a just man to deceive; but he will still deliver his message.

8 If it be the devil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him.

9 These are three grand keys whereby you may know whether any administration is from God.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Mormon method of testing spirits:

Doctrine and Covenants 129
1 There are two kinds of beings in heaven, namely: Angels, who are resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones—

2 For instance, Jesus said: Handle me and see, for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

3 Secondly: the spirits of just men made perfect, they who are not resurrected, but inherit the same glory.

4 When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you.

5 If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand.

6 If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear

7 Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the order of heaven for a just man to deceive; but he will still deliver his message.

8 If it be the devil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him.

9 These are three grand keys whereby you may know whether any administration is from God.

Odd that Smith never offered his hand in his first vision encounter, nor with any recorded encounters with Moroni. The inconsistency is not surprising though, since he made up who angels are (resurrected personages) and I can't recall any angelic Biblical encounters with this offering of one's hand to verify they were a messenger.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It would be interesting to see if the handshake test described above in the D&C was established before or after the introduction of the Mormon temple rites, as I understand that those also involve various special handshakes with heavenly personages. Maybe it's less about Joseph Smith having done it himself (because it would make sense that he didn't receive this particular 'revelation' until after having started Mormonism based on his earlier visions, and so he presumably would not have known to do that at those times), and more about reinforcing/establishing the connection between handshakes as confirmation and the supposedly God-given nature of Mormon sacred ceremonies.

I don't know enough about the chronology of Mormonism to be able to do anything more than speculate, but that would make sense to me, in a manner analogous to how Christian baptismal ceremonies usually follow the basic outline given in our own scriptures (immersion in water, baptism in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and so on).

Upvote 0