Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My sins? Well in the past they were many, and I mean many. I slept around, lied all the time, stole music everyday (online), tried to convince believers that God was a lie, did graffiti, scammed businesses, smoked weed everyday, got drunk all the time, sold drugs, heck, I even robbed somebody for a half ounce of weed in the parking lot of a church. One day back when I was 16 I even posted a blasphemous picture of Christ crucified with slanderous and mocking commentary under it on a church door. Chief of sinners? Yeah, that's me.

Praise be to God that the Lord opened my blinded eyes, saved me, and delivered me from so many of my sins. I'm a changed man. But you know what its funny, the more you grow in Christ the less you sin but the worse you feel about the sin that remains.

Today my biggest sins are lust (looking where I shouldn't be), getting angry (mostly at work), foul language, neglect of scripture, neglect of prayer, course joking once in a while, and pride. The Lord has been gracious to deliver me from so many of my former sins, but I've still got a long way to go. Praise be to God that Jesus took the wrath I deserved in my place, otherwise the hottest part of Hell would have my name on it.

I pray that we may all grow in the knowledge of the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and that we might all grow in holiness and be more like the Lord.

Upvote 0

Learning To Stand

Dec 24, 2011
Right here.
✟7,822.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Laziness, addictions, idolatry, gluttony, on top of this I have a tendency to grumble a lot. I don't pray, I'm a coward, I can't bring myself to study the bible. Like, I'll read it, but when it comes to studying, I just get so frustrated. It's like I don't know where to start or how to go about studying a bible. I have nobody who would do it with me since I have no Christian friends and I'm not making an effort to find any. I'm not a Church goer and that's part of my cowardice.

I feel like a huge mess. I have so many questions but I no clue who to ask.

Upvote 0

fishergirl16

Jul 14, 2012
✟15,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm prideful and selfish at times. I hate it so much. I think of myself as higher (usually in terms of intelligence) than other people, sometimes even my teachers. I've been working through this by acknowledging that God is the giver of wisdom, and any knowledge that I may have is all thanks to Him. It's helped a lot.

Another thing is lust... (like masturbation). I can't stand it. And afterwards, I feel so unclean. I've been praying about it, but when the urges come, it's so hard to remember God. I've been thinking of the Bible verse that says the human body is a temple for the Lord, and that helps me not to defile my body.

I'm also very insecure, and others are able to take advantage of me easily. I don't think the insecurity is a sin of itself (it's more of a weakness that I'm trying to overcome), but it causes me to easily give in to jealousy and anger, and all the emotions that we try to calm.

Occasionally foul language, but that's reduced a lot. Praise God for granting me self-control :D

When I list my sins out like this, I almost feel like crying. This is because I know that God loves such an imperfect, impure, horrible person like me. And that I am forgiven thanks to His love. Thank you Jesus :)

Upvote 0

bsd31

Aug 16, 2009
South of Canada, North of Mexico
✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The worst sin is blaspheme of the Holy Spirit. I say that because Jesus said every sin except that one would be forgiven man.
“Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— for they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.” - Mark 3:28-30 (ESV)
On the other hand there is the sin of an evil unbelieving heart which caused God to declare that the Israelis wandering in the desert would never enter into his rest.
Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later, but Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope. Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says,
“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,
on the day of testing in the wilderness,
where your fathers put me to the test
and saw my works for forty years.
Therefore I was provoked with that generation,
and said, ‘They always go astray in their heart;
they have not known my ways.’
As I swore in my wrath,
‘They shall not enter my rest.’”

Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. - Hebrews 3:5-12 (ESV)
When you look at blaspheme against the Spirit and "an evil heart of unbelief" they are actually the same thing just packaged a little differently.

Certainly if you die outside of Christ breaking even one of the 10 commandments will land you in an eternal hell but in Christ the blood of the Lamb covers all of those sins as if they never happened.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him. - Psalm 103:11-13 (ESV)
If you can start out heading East and ever find yourself going West please let someone know. You've broken through the space-time continuum.

My point is that God treats all sin exactly the same except unbelief.

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

Learning To Stand said in post 23:

It's like I don't know where to start or how to go about studying a bible.

The best way to study the Bible, as a whole, is simply to read every word of it (Matthew 4:4) over & over again. It ends up explaining itself once every word of it has become completely engrained in your memory, and you see all the connections between verses regarding something in one place in the Bible and other verses regarding that same thing in other places in the Bible. It's by comparing & combining related verses from different places in the Bible that we arrive at correct doctrine (Isaiah 28:9-10, 1 Corinthians 2:13).

It's also a good practice to always end each reading session with a prayer for understanding and remembrance of the entire Bible.

One way to read the Bible is to think of it as 7 volumes:

1. Genesis to Deuteronomy
2. Joshua to Esther
3. Job to Song of Solomon
4. Isaiah to Malachi
5. Matthew to Acts
6. Romans to Philemon
7. Hebrews to Revelation

You can read a chapter in each volume every day. This will keep you current in every part of the Bible. There won't be any part you haven't read recently enough to remember what it says. When you reach the end of a volume, simply start again at the 1st chapter of that volume. In this way, you will be cycling through smaller volumes like #6 & #7 much more often than larger volumes like #2, but the smaller volumes are so much more dense with doctrine it can be profitable to read them over & over more often.

Also, you can listen to recordings of people reading the Bible, whenever you need to keep your eyes on something else while you listen (such as keeping your eyes on the road while you drive, or on a cutting board while you're preparing food, or on your clippers while you're trimming a hedge). In this way, you can listen to the Bible throughout the day, whenever you don't need to be thinking about something else (such as at your workplace). And you can listen to the Bible even while you're going to sleep, so that it will become part of even your subconscious mind.

I have so many questions but I no clue who to ask.

You can ask your questions by starting new threads in this subforum. There are many people here who know the Bible well and can answer your questions with Bible-based answers.

Upvote 0

clo101

Jun 16, 2013
England
✟7,625.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel so normal all of a sudden

My most popular sins

• Before I decided to look into Christianity, I slept around, not at all proud of it and because everything I didn't ever want to be. I have since decided that if I am going to stick with my newly found religion I am going to remain celibate until I marry.
  • I drink too much or at least did (I have massively cut down and that has really helped my depression - the two just don't go together)
  • I have a habit of getting into gossipy sessions
  • Moaning, sounding like I'm always complaining
  • Stubborn
  • Argumentative
  • Selfish (I really struggle sometimes to put other people before myself)
  • Opinionated.
  • I have very little self respect
I must admit i feel really normal all of a sudden i was beginning to think that I just wouldn't be able to be a Christian, because one thing on this journey that I have learnt is i'm not proud of my actions.

Upvote 0

WeblogAlice

Mar 25, 2013
✟15,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Promiscuous/sexual behavior - I used to have sex with every person i dated. A few times with people i didn't even date. I used to do sexual things online. I have now chosen wait until marriage for sex and to close down the accounts i was doing sexual things with. I feel ashamed because of it but i have learned from it.
Self injury - is a bad behavior that i still struggle
Low self esteem.
Not spending enough time with God or reading the Bible
These are just the main things plus dealing with anxiety that i am trying to get better with

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Talihood nailed it. It's unfortunate that so many of us believe that our worst sins are things like sexual sin, laziness, drugs, over-eating, etc. C.S. Lewis calls those "fleabites in comparison" to pride, which I firmly believe is my worst.

Here's the quote from Lewis' book Mere Christianity:

There is one vice of which no man in the world is free; which every one in the world loathes when he sees it in someone else; and of which hardly any people, except Christians ever imagine that they are guilty themselves....The essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. Unchastely, anger, greed, drunkenness, and all that, are mere fleabites in comparison: it was through Pride that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind.…

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Thaddeusintokyo. If ever the day comes when you wish to try and overcome your sins, Jesus will have the best advice for you.
In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all
thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus
gives us this great truth: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God wants our Love, freely given and No conditions asked.
You need to be " Reborn," instead of following your selfish wishes, ask Jesus
to give you His Love and Joy. ( Matthew 7: 7-8) Jesus told us: " ask and ye shall receive," then thank God, and share all Love and Joy with your neighbour: all you know and all you meet, friends and not friends. You might stumble or forget at times, but then ask God to forgive you, and carry on loving and caring. You will slowly and surly change into the person which God wants you to be, kind and always with friendly words. Keep asking Jesus for His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower you, also. You will find that people will treat you the same as you treat people, and life will become
abundant. All we say or do, all we advice and stand for, should be FROM LOVE
AND COMPASSION. Love is very catching. Ask God, then thank God, and share
your Love and Joy with your neighbour. I say this with love, ThaddeusIntokyo.

Upvote 0

ewells36

Nov 11, 2013
Lansing, Michigan
✟15,608.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My Confession:

Sometimes I put on a front for people so that they will not see that inside I am dying. Instead of letting people in, I tend to close them out due to my past but God is indeed working with me on that and causing me to be broke down in order for Him to mold me the way He wants to and not the way I would want to be molded

Lack of consistency within my Christian walk. There are days where I would be on fire for God and that would usually last for weeks and then by the next month, I would be right back where I was at before I even came to Him. Thankfully again, He is working with me on that so that I do not burn myself out and He is molding me into what He wants me to be and once again, not what I would like to be

I am guilty of keeping Christ to myself and not sharing Him with others so that they could see His light and be set free from whatever does indeed bind them. I have been asking Him to just make me who He wants me to be and not what I want to be. God is teaching me reliance upon Him completely and utterly so that people will be able to see His light shining in my life and they may come to Him because they can see Him

Despite all my failings and shortcomings, what brings me the most joy in life, the most peace in life, the most happiness in life, is knowing how much He has truly given me and how much He has blessed me with. Too many times I would become depressed or down in spirit due to not having this, not having that, etc but God is teaching me that those things do not matter. That most of these things are just distractions keeping us from reaching out to Him in our darkest times. Sometimes we need to completely fall apart, completely hit rock bottom in order for Him to build us back up. Our pride indeed gets in the way of Him at times and sometimes it takes a tragedy in ones life for them to begin to look upon Him, rely upon Him, and to let go of ones life and to allow Him to overtake every area and to allow Him to build us back up again.

My sins are many. I am nothing but a fallen man who humbly seeks to know Him. Christ is everything!

Upvote 0
G

Godislove94

I am guilty of all sins, but I would say the two I struggle with the most are idolatry and judgment. Selfishness is a very close third.

Idolatry: God gave me the spiritual gift of mercy, and with that comes a heart full of compassion for everyone. However, in almost every situation where I've used this gift I've become so emotionally attached and involved with the person whom I've given it to that I put them on a pedestal and they become an obsession, hence an "idol". I feel the Lord has sanctified my attachment issues however and He has recently used this little quirk in my personality to minister to someone at my workplace. Yet at the same time I also feel He is using this as a test to not only break me of my obsessive tendencies, but to also strengthen this gift.

Judgment: Since becoming a Christian I've really noticed how I tend to condemn people who don't believe the same interpretation of some of the scriptures that I do, and yes I am definitely guilty of pride because I feel that I'm right and they're wrong, a "holier than thou" attitude. This is definitely being stripped from me also, as I've noticed the Lord keeps putting people in my path each day that before I was saved I would have passed judgment on without a second thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Thaddeusintokyo. Certainly the most overlooked sins, are to be without love and compassion. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself."
Then Jesus points out this great fact: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God wants from us our love freely given and NO conditions asked. Jesus will give us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower us with His Love, also. Matthew 7: 7-10: tells us to " ask and ye receive." Then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour:
i.e. all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. We keep asking God and thanking God, then share all Love and Joy with all around. That is straightforward, wouldn't you agree? why do still so very many men and women ignore these Commandments to Love?
God is Love, and God wants loving children/sons and daughters. A Christian`s
great weapon is Love. With love we overcome all enmity, adversity and wrong behaviour. Love is very catching and the men and women we meet daily, will treat us the way we treat the people: kindly and always with love and friendly words. What is wrong with loving and caring for our neighbour, when we follow by doing so, Jesus`s and God`s Commandments? We show our Heavenly Father that we Love Him by following His Commandments, and find our words often ignored??? We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on loving and caring? I ask this humbly and with wonder where the fault lies? Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Ruba

Perspective is power
Dec 12, 2013
United States
✟8,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Before I met God, I was worse than I am now.

Before I thought really hopeless of the world. I thought there was no good people, everyone was out for themselves, and no one would cared if something happened to you. I realized that I was really lonesome and got a lot of conspiracies stuck in my head thanks to the internet. It left me not to trust anyone, because I been backstabbed by many people in the past, and it was hard to reach out my hand out of trust than just out of needs. I was scared of people and I myself struggle to talk to people too. And since I didn't want to be mean to people, there was a ton of anger stored inside of me and I did not know how to get it out of my system.

I blew up on a lot of people, and lost a lot of trust, and probably enough friends who didn't even deserve this kind of behavior. I was really messed up, but I just really wanted to be happy, so I avoided talking about my problems to my friends as long as I can until I couldn't handle it anymore. I was playing nice girl, so I wouldn't even reacted if a friend offended me, or hurt me on the inside. i know that was a problem.

It took a good friend who didn't give up to get to know me, and forced me to talk about my problems instead of hiding them. That friend introduced me to God too, and my whole perspective on the world changed, and I felt something known as peace for the first time and I was really happy for once in my life.

I really met Christ earlier this year, and I have a lot of learning. Faith growing is my number one need because I still lack it and I face a lot of doubt of how things are going to turn out. I still am trying to reach out to communities, and struggle to find people to actually talk to. Most people are in their own bubbles not wanting to talk to newcomers or strangers, so the whole thing is difficult for me. I easily lose my confidence still, and at times I feel utterly useless and beat myself up not even picking up a sock.

I know God is working on me, and I try my best to communicate with Him everyday. I just wonder how I can improve my social skills and not be afraid to approach the world. I am sure God has a plan. :amen:

Upvote 0

katrina174

Apr 4, 2014
Portsmouth united kingdom.
✟7,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
1. Anger - sometimes saying things to family members, friends,boyfriend in anger and taking things out on them when Im in a bad mood. I feel bad afterwards and I don't know why I do it sometime. I guess its easy to take out your frustrations on the ones you know will love you no matter what.

2. Gossip- I try not to but sometimes get drawn into gossip about other people :(. I guess this would be linked to being judgemental too.

3. Not spending enough time focusing on the Lord. I don't read the bible or pray enough. I am often lazy or easily tempted with other things. I also don't share my faith to other people very often I have a fear of rejection which is hard to overcome.

Thank goodness for Gods love, forgiveness and Mercy is all I can say. Our good is Good.

Upvote 0