Fellowship What are you studying/reading in scripture currently?

RonJohnSilver

Nov 1, 2023
Temple
✟13,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm reading or researching through two books on Jesus' parables. Parables by John MacArthur and Parables by James Boice. I'm teaching in Sunday School as a fill in this week so these are two of my sources, plus a couple commentaries. Not all the parables, only the Parables of Wisdom and Folly; the 10 Virgins, the two sons, the wise/foolish builders, the unjust steward and the foolish landowner.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
@dwb001

IRT Revelation, I recently read through the book. Some insights I came to about the book are this:

It seems to me that Revelation can be comprised of three major sections. The first section is Revelation 1-3. The second section is Revelation 4-11. The last section is Revelation 12-22. IMO, the book gets more symbolic as the book goes along. In fact, it gets so symbolic that John has to explain the symbolic parts or everyone would be completely lost as to the meaning. The middle section is my favorite part. Why? Because it seems to be based on concrete examples and tends to be the most straightforward IRT prophecy. The book as a whole is unique in the Bible, however, it may be because it varies so much in the degree to which it is symbolic. The whole talk of the dragon (Satan), the beast (antichrist), and the other beast (false prophet) would be completely unintelligible if we didn't have John and the rest of scripture explaining it.

I also think that the second section shows Dispensationalism to be extremely lacking. The reason I say this is because a "mark" is placed on the faithful, who is a group that is so numerous that "no one could number" (compared with 200 million people, which is a number of people that is numbered) who "come out of the Great Tribulation." I can't see a way to read that passage without saying that the number of Christians will be a lot of people (billions presumably) AND that there is a second group of people on who God will pronounce great judgment.

Revelation 1-3 seems to be about blessings and curses for the church, Revelation 4-11 seems to be about God working powerfully in His people and Revelation 12-22 seems to be mostly about a warning to the wicked and a promise to the faithful.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm reading or researching through two books on Jesus' parables. Parables by John MacArthur and Parables by James Boice. I'm teaching in Sunday School as a fill in this week so these are two of my sources, plus a couple commentaries. Not all the parables, only the Parables of Wisdom and Folly; the 10 Virgins, the two sons, the wise/foolish builders, the unjust steward and the foolish landowner.
Not a fan of Johnny Mac. For a Bible teacher he disagrees with the Bible an awful lot.

...and I just looked up James Boice, and he's reformed theology too, so I wouldn't waste my time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trying to take a break from the back and forth debate type threads. What are you currently studying or reading about in scripture? A particular topic or subject? What led you to that particular theme?
I am currently working on the 13th and 14th books. One is on the Security of the Believer, and the other is Confession of our Faith.
So I am working through my notes and material on these subjects. I took a break from my larger project regarding what is included in the Atonement... which will be a much larger work.

Upvote 0

RonJohnSilver

Nov 1, 2023
Temple
✟13,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our home Bible study group, which I teach, will start studying Zechariah after the new year. To prepare, I'm starting the book "God Remembers" by Charles Feinberg, my usual source commentaries (EnduringWord by Davd Guzik and SonicLIght by Tom Constable) plus the online series by Gary Hamrick of Cornerstone Chapel in Leesburg, Va.

Upvote 0