4. The Shape of the Liturgy by Gregory Dix
5. Wagner and Philosophy by Bryan Magee
6. The Christian Faith by Michael Horton
7. The Torah's Vision of Worship by Samuel Balentine

Seven is a nice number ;)

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Haven't decided what to read next. Just finished +Timothy Wares Orthodox Church.

I want to read +Benedicts new book, but it looks like I can't get it electronically in Australia, so I'll have to wait for a paper copy to arrive.

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I reading (and will be for a very long time) Summa Contra Gentiles by St. Thomas Aquinas.

I'm 2/3s the way through Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton.

I recently finished C.S. Lewis' Space trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength (via audio book).

I also recently finished the Bartimaeus trilogy: The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stoud. These books are a blast to read.

I hope to return to John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion and St. Augustine's City of God in the near future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Primacy of Peter by John Meyendorff
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
An Exorcist Tells His Story by Gabriele Amorth
Early Christian Writings by Penguin Publishing
The Salvation Controversy by James Akin
The Reformation by Diarmaid MacCulloch

All between rosaries of course! :liturgy::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice to see a Protestant reading Chesterton. As for Institutes and Calvin, that's a different story! :p

I reading (and will be for a very long time) Summa Contra Gentiles by St. Thomas Aquinas.

I'm 2/3s the way through Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton.

I recently finished C.S. Lewis' Space trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength (via audio book).

I also recently finished the Bartimaeus trilogy: The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stoud. These books are a blast to read.

I hope to return to John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion and St. Augustine's City of God in the near future.

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Nice to see a Protestant reading Chesterton. As for Institutes and Calvin, that's a different story! :p
Thanks.

I've read Imitation of Christ. It is a wonderful book. I also have Akin's The Salvation Controversy waiting in the wings. It was loaned to me by a friend.

I try to read a divers group of Christians writers. I am a big fan of St Cyprian and have read all his writings that we still exist.

I've read a fair amount (for a layman) of the Church Fathers, some medieval guys (a Kempis, St. Anslem), Protestant reformers (Luther, Calvin) and lots of guys between now and then including some Catholics, Orthodox, Lutheran, Reformed, Baptist and various other guys.

I was born and baptised Roman Catholic, raised baptist after age seven, in my mid-twenties I became started moving theologically -- Today I seem to be too Protestant to return to Rome and to Catholic to be accepted by most Protestants.

Later,
Kenith

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After reading the Fathers, hasn't it piqued your interest about the possibility of returning to Catholicism? The Fathers were most definitely not Protestant in the least. Usually it is a solid reading of the Fathers and their views on apostolic succession, episcopacy, the Eucharist, faith and works, church polity, sacramental theology, and soteriology all tend to convict the reader toward either Orthodoxy or Catholicism it seems. I'd like to hear your views. God bless Kenith. :)

Thanks.

I've read Imitation of Christ. It is a wonderful book. I also have Akin's The Salvation Controversy waiting in the wings. It was loaned to me by a friend.

I try to read a divers group of Christians writers. I am a big fan of St Cyprian and have read all his writings that we still exist.

I've read a fair amount (for a layman) of the Church Fathers, some medieval guys (a Kempis, St. Anslem), Protestant reformers (Luther, Calvin) and lots of guys between now and then including some Catholics, Orthodox, Lutheran, Reformed, Baptist and various other guys.

I was born and baptised Roman Catholic, raised baptist after age seven, in my mid-twenties I became started moving theologically -- Today I seem to be too Protestant to return to Rome and to Catholic to be accepted by most Protestants.

Later,
Kenith

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
After reading the Fathers, hasn't it piqued your interest about the possibility of returning to Catholicism? The Fathers were most definitely not Protestant in the least. Usually it is a solid reading of the Fathers and their views on apostolic succession, episcopacy, the Eucharist, faith and works, church polity, sacramental theology, and soteriology all tend to convict the reader toward either Orthodoxy or Catholicism it seems. I'd like to hear your views. God bless Kenith. :)

When I first started reading the Fathers I expected to have to return to Rome I was baptised in the RCC as an infant and all my kin (Louisiana Cajun French) are Roman Catholic. For a time I hoped to be able to return to Rome, but (thus far) I can not.

Reading the Fathers did bring changes. They played a major part my change in ecclesiology. I have moved from believing in a presbyterian view of church government to episcopacy. My view on the sacraments have changed dramatically as well, though I have not arrived at the Roman position.

I do see the Roman bishop as first among equals but I do not see the First Vatican Council being taught by the Fathers.

I do plan to read Newman in the near future. I've read the intro to his An Essay On The Development Of Christian Doctrine last year and hope to return to that book later this year.

I am a theological conservative and I am very uncomfortable with much of what is happening in the Episcopal Church in the USA. My parish church is solid and Louisiana has a solid bishop, so I am OK for now.

I have been receiving the the Coming Home Network's newsletter for many years, I've read Scott Hahn and listened to a number of his lectures.

Like I said, I try to read divers Christians. I see myself as a Reformed Catholic who is praying that the Lord will bring His Church together again in His time and I do try to do my part (as much as I can) toward that goal.

Kenith

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In the middle of Paul In Fresh Perspective, but I'm probably going to put it aside when I get Love Wins next week... Trying to simplify my reading list. I have some Lewis, Vanhoozer and more Wright to power through...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps as we read the ECF's, we will realize the center of the Church is not Rome, the language of the Church is not Latin and the heart of the Church is not in the West.

Perhaps we will understand that the Church had many roots in Africa and that the Church was in Asia from the beginning.

Emphasizing the apostle who founded the churches of Antioch and Rome is fine. Even having the Patriarch of the West as the first among equals might be fine. But it will take an extreme reading of the ECF's to move me to believing that pope should speak from the Chair, infallibly, in the name of Christ, on salvation issues for all Christians.

I believe that The RCC found this necessary after they walked out on the rest of us and there were no more Councils of the "whole" Church, that is the "catholic" church, that is the "one holy catholic and apostolic church". The RCC has devised a top-down view of church hierarchy that I don't think works at all. The model that Christ left us with was of 12 apostles, with a first among equals.

Make no mistake, I can accept the popes since Vatican II as the face (the leader) of Christianity in the world. These Holy Fathers have indeed been annointed by the Holy Spirit. I could even accept uniting under their leadership. The RCC has taken important steps by having non-Italian popes. The Ordinairiate is an interesting experiment. I find it fascinating that so many non-Catholics truly like and accept the current Holy Father.

When I first started reading the Fathers I expected to have to return to Rome I was baptised in the RCC as an infant and all my kin (Louisiana Cajun French) are Roman Catholic. For a time I hoped to be able to return to Rome, but (thus far) I can not.

Reading the Fathers did bring changes. They played a major part my change in ecclesiology. I have moved from believing in a presbyterian view of church government to episcopacy. My view on the sacraments have changed dramatically as well, though I have not arrived at the Roman position.

I do see the Roman bishop as first among equals but I do not see the First Vatican Council being taught by the Fathers.

I do plan to read Newman in the near future. I've read the intro to his An Essay On The Development Of Christian Doctrine last year and hope to return to that book later this year.

I am a theological conservative and I am very uncomfortable with much of what is happening in the Episcopal Church in the USA. My parish church is solid and Louisiana has a solid bishop, so I am OK for now.

I have been receiving the the Coming Home Network's newsletter for many years, I've read Scott Hahn and listened to a number of his lectures.

Like I said, I try to read divers Christians. I see myself as a Reformed Catholic who is praying that the Lord will bring His Church together again in His time and I do try to do my part (as much as I can) toward that goal.

Kenith

Upvote 0

R_A

Mar 2, 2011
✟7,865.00
Faith
Anglican
After reading the Fathers, hasn't it piqued your interest about the possibility of returning to Catholicism? The Fathers were most definitely not Protestant in the least.
But that's all wrong of course. If we consider Augustine as one of the utmost pillars which support all of Christendom, a monkey-wrench enters your worldview, for Augustine was Calvinist. Or more accurately, Calvin was Augustinian, and Calvinists are more akin to Augustine's theology than most of modern Christianity; certainly much closer than either Catholicism or Orthodoxy.

Usually it is a solid reading of the Fathers and their views on apostolic succession, episcopacy, the Eucharist, faith and works, church polity, sacramental theology, and soteriology all tend to convict the reader toward either Orthodoxy or Catholicism it seems. I'd like to hear your views.

Well the reader might be convicted towards ancient Catholicism it's true. The Catholicism that condemned Pelagius. Modern (post-Tridentine) Catholicism is certainly not what the reader would be convicted towards, which views works as aiding towards salvation, nor Orthodoxy, which is by its own admission, semi-Pelagian.

By being convicted towards ancient Catholicism, I mean Catholicism which never worshipped the Papacy, or ever accepted the doctrine of infallibility.

So if we're talking about the reader being convicted towards a sola fide, sola christo, sola gratia, etc, Catholicism, which didn't hold any ideas of Papal infallibility -- then yes.

In short, the reader would be convicted towards Anglicanism :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On

dr-seuss-cat-in-hat.jpg

Thread closed for review.
We'll get back to you asap -t.hanks for your patience

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hisbygrace

Carried On The Wings Of An Eagle
Sep 22, 2004
California
✟158,418.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat

MOD HAT ON
After careful review it was determined by staff through consensus to do a thread cleanup for off topic posts. If you find your post(s) has been removed it is because they were a part of cleanup. Please remember to stay on the topic of the OP. Also we would like to remind everyone of the following CF rule:

Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts
Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

Respect and become familiar with each forum's Statement of Purpose. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose; submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion. Off Topic posts will be moved or removed.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

HisHomeMaker

Reading the Bible in 2011. Join me!
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.christianforums.com/f235/
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am a long-time churchgoer but a new follower of Christ. I've just finished

C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity
and
Outlive Your Life by Max Lucado (many references to the book of Acts)

Today I started a teeny gift book called What Does the Bible Say About Patience? that a friend thought I needed (and I agree that I do).

Thanks for this thread. I think I'd like to read more about The Sermon on the Mount and the book of Matthew if anyone can suggest a good study guide.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
HisHomeMaker said:
Thanks for this thread. I think I'd like to read more about The Sermon on the Mount and the book of Matthew if anyone can suggest a good study guide.
Matthew for Everyone - Tom Wright

Reactions: HisHomeMaker
Upvote 0