The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I thought about posting this thread in Traditional Theology, where I have posted collections of thrilling liturgical worship before, however, recently I have added to my collection several worship services which are not liturgical, even if they are broadly speaking liturgical, or are from denominations which do not precisely align with the SOP. Also, posting this thread here should allow some debate, and I am genuinely tired of seeing and hearing guitars and encountering people who think that worship consists of dancing to thinly disguised rock music with vapid lyrics that offer nominal references to our Lord but are utterly devoid of the deep theological meaning that characterizes traditional Christian hymnody.

I have elsewhere proposed that the loss of this traditional music is not only correlated with, but actively contributed, to the decline in church attendance, because this music works, whether the Protestant chorales composed by Martin Luther, Isaac Watts, Charles Wesley, and others, the Gregorian, Renaissance and Baroque motets and cantatas composed by Bach, Palestrina, Morales, Byrd, and other composers, primarily Lutherans, Roman Catholics, and starting in the 19th century, High Church Anglicans, to lyrics dating back to St. Ambrose of Milan, the exquisite Byzantine Rite music whether in Greek or Church Slavonic, whose lyrics are of equal antiquity, with the average age of hymns in an Eastern Orthodox or Traditional Latin Mass being roughly a thousand years, and with both ancient chant settings according to Byzantine antiphony, Georgian triphony, or the Znamenny Chant of the Old Rite Orthodox, as well as newer music by Greek, Russian, and Ukrainian composers like Tikey Zes, Pavel Chesnokov and Dmitri Bortniansky, as well as fine, lesser known Serbian, Georgian and Romanian composers, and in the same category as the Byzantine music we have the traditional West Syriac chant of the Maronites and Syriac Orthodox, the East Syriac chant of the Assyrians and Chaldeans, beloved of our friend @Pavel Mosko, the Tasbeha, or Coptic chant, which our friend @dzheremi and I greatly enjoy, and the melismatic and percussive music of the Ethiopian Orthodox, composed in the ancient Semitic Ge’ez language, which closely resembles Hebrew and Aramaic, and from which the current vernacular dialects of Ethiopia are derived, and which has the oldest system of musical notation in continual use in the world, and thus contains the oldest surviving melodies of Christian music. And finally we have the original hymnal of Christianity, the Bible itself, which is traditionally chanted or sung rather than read, and parts of which are specifically intended for singing, such as the Psalms, the Song of Songs, and the three Evangelical Canticles at the beginning of the Gospel of Luke, just to name a few. Indeed a Canticle most frequently refers to a song included in scripture, for example, Benedicite Omni Opera, the song of the three Hebrew youths kept alive by the presence of Christ or an angel representing Him typologically in the furnace in Babylon, despite Nebuchadnezzar’s insane desire to incinerate them (this incident is also one of many in Scripture which should give pious Christians pause about cremation).

The reason why this is relevant is of course because those churches which retain traditional worship in exclusivity, like Continuing Anglican parishes in the US, Traditional Latin Mass parishes worldwide, and the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, are outperforming mainline churches which admit elements of contemporary worship. And while megachurches with rock bands are well attended, they represent a tiny fraction of the total Christian population and of the total number of parishes in existence, so for your average neighborhood Baptist or Presbyterian or Catholic church to try to compete with that will only alienate people (also, consider the mega churches with rock concert style worship have very highly paid “worship teams” and can afford to license from Nashville the most valuable IP; in contrast, the exquisite Mass for Three Voices by William Byrd was designed to be sung by a small choir in a small space, written during a time when “Popery” carried the death penalty in Elizabethan England and Byrd was able to survive only because his music composed for the court, including an exquisite setting of Anglican worship music for the Chapel Royal, earned him royal favor. And we know from the success of Traditional Latin Mass parishes from the time they were universally authorized by Pope Benedict XVI until the time that a great many were suppressed a year ago by his successor that using Byrd’s Mass for Three Voices along with the rest of the traditional aspects of worship is a great way to attract Catholics to worship. And likewise, every indication shows that the 1928 Book of Common Prayer outperforms the 1979 and 2019 editions in the United States, and the same pattern holds true for most denominations. By the time we reach Southern Baptism, in many cases, square note singing will draw congregations an electric guitar could never draw, and likewise the attendance levels of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in Scotland and its North American counterpart the RPCNA with its A Capella Exclusive Psalmody, and worship which is not substantially different from that instituted by John Knox, are impressive in comparison with the established Church of Scotland and the mainline PCUSA. And likewise, PCUSA parishes less political in their worship and more traditional, for example, the Waldensian Presbyterian Church, whose attendees are descended from the ancient Protestant ethno-religious group which later joined the Calvinists in Geneva, has beautiful traditional worship, is not blatantly political, and is well attended.

Enough theory for the moment, as there are beautiful church services to see, to delight the soul and the senses in Godly bliss:

To start out with, I had been given cause to lament the scarcity of Anglican parishes in Canada still using the beautiful 1962 Book of Common Prayer, but here is one doing a splendid job, St. Thomas Huron Street in Toronto, and also with ceremonial during their Eucharist on a par with the Tridentine mass:

More traditionally Anglican is their Choral Evensong, which along with St. Sepulchre in the City of London is one of only two Anglican parishes where I have recently heard Choral Evensong conclude with the traditional collects including the Prayer of St. Chrysostom, which is always a delight as that prayer is also the prayer of the Third Antiphon in the Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy.

But if that is too high church for you, the Morning services of Congregationalist Park Street Church in Boston, the last traditional Congregationalist church in Boston, shows how low church worship can also be exquisite. Their Easter Sunday service and their service last Sunday show the breadth of their classical music program. Conversely, their contemporary Evening service is awful, although I still love Park Street Church and for a long time used a picture of their exterior as my profile pic om CF.com. But I wish their Evening service was more like that of St. Thomas Huron Street.

Easter service at Park Street:

Most recent Morning service:

Old South Church, a beautiful UCC parish with traditional worship, is hard for me to watch, because of the extremely political character of the clergy, not just their sermons, but even remarks made elsewhere in the service, which is a pity. Old North Church, of “Two if by sea” Paul Revere fame usually has an extremely nice, moderate young man as pastor and I have often linked to their services in Traditional Theology; he was on vacation until two weeks ago, and while he was away, they had an older Episcopalian priest who was not only political but abrasive and generally grouchy; I felt compelled to downvote their videos on YouTube while he was preaching. Fortunately, the regular priest has returned, and conducts the service in a manner inclusive and respectful towards Americans of all political views.

In my next post, I shall display three splendid services: a Syriac Orthodox liturgy, a Sunday worship service with traditional hymns of the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in a particular town in Kentucky, and a Salvation Army parish (called an encampment or citadel or something) in suburban London, UK on Palm Sunday, representing three tiers of churchmanship, maximum solemnity, traditional mainstream Protestant, and low church Evangelical, all done splendidly. And then later I think a Byzantine Rite liturgy, an Lutheran service, and a Reformed Presbyterian Church that uses A Capella Exclusive Psalmody should again show how worship can be exquisite regardless of what Anglicans call “churchmanship,” basically, the amount of ceremony and solemnity.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have sung in choral groups that had some of that style - but I enjoyed the more in-our-language hymns , gospel songs etc more.

Some people like that music and I think it is very compatible with praying or reading while that music is in the background.

A lot of contemporary music is not at all compatible with praying or reading the Bible while listening to it.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
A lot of contemporary music is not at all compatible with praying or reading the Bible while listening to it.

Indeed, this is my central argument. The only contemporary music I have come across suitable for prayer is contemporary classical sacred music, for example, the anthem This Is The Day by English composer John Rutter, and his other sacred music, and likewise the sacred music by Estonian composer Avro Part, some of which follows Byzantine Rite liturgical norms, for example, his Trisagion, Triodion, and Kanon Pokrajen, and others follow Western Rite (Lutheran or Catholic) liturgical norms, for example, his exquisite setting of Te Deum Laudamus, or his settings of the Evangelical Canticles Magnificat and Nunc Dimits, or his Missa Syllabica. Another composer to work in both fields is an English convert to Eastern Orthodoxy, John Taverner, who reposed about five years ago, although I myself have not been able to get into his work.

However, the fact we still have excellent composers of hymns and musical settings of psalms and canticles brings me great cheer. Indeed, Sir Francis Jackson, who in the 1970s was the celebrated traditional organist and choirmaster at York Minster, reposed in the Lord earlier this year in February at the age of 103.

The non-profit group I have organized to produce public domain liturgical material also has a resident composer. Alas I would note our liturgical material could still be used poorly, for example, there is nothing stopping someone from using the Congregational Service Book and the 2022 Book of Common Prayer with an electric guitar (we may change the release date to 2023 because of the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, to make it clear that the versions available contain references to His Majesty King Charles III; I am not the project lead on the new BCP as I am not an Anglican however; our goal is to produce a book to provide more options for Continuing Anglican Churches and also any ACNA parishes that decide not to use the 2019 BCP; I think the reason why we have the project was due to disappointment in our group with the 2019 BCP, the fact we had an Anglican priest, and the fact our traditional Methodist service book meant most of the work was already done, even though the Methodist book itself needs more work).

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For me, true worship is not something which is rehersed, or a performance, but something which spontaneously rises from within you inward being. Worship is an outpouring of love and an expression of your love for God who is your all in all. Also I think that praising God has a lot to do with our thankfulness for what He has done for us. If it's not an outpouring of your Heart, then what is it?

Are we all not those who have an awareness of what God has done for us. Are there not just times when we are aware of God's touch upon our lives, are these the only times we we reach out to Him? What about the times when nothing special has happened to us, can we not still reach out to Him, because we delight ourselves in our God?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
For me, true worship is not something which is rehersed, or a performance, but something which spontaneously rises from within you inward being.

Such a view it may surprise you to learn does not actually preclude liturgical worship. On the contrary, the standardization of liturgical worship allows people to focus on the interior worship without having to think about the ritual actions.

Worship is an outpouring of love and an expression of your love for God who is your all in all. Also I think that praising God has a lot to do with our thankfulness for what He has done for us. If it's not an outpouring of your Heart, then what is it?

Well, emotions are one thing, but the spirit is another, and just
too much emotion in worship can actually be a distraction from the actual function of worship, which is the glorification of God. Conversely, too little emotion results in cold and sterile services, and I find this to be a problem with mainline Protestant churches and Catholic parishes which use the Novus Ordo Missae with Eucharistic Prayer 2 exclusively, because it is the shortest, and in both cases using semi-contemporary liturgies, the sort of church where you have an ageing congregation, where children are dismissed to Sunday School, and where there is both praise and worship music of an amateur quality and maybe some traditional hymns accompanied on the piano, and a mediocre sermon, one which often is not original thanks to the prevalence of the Revised Common Lectionary.

I also think the Revised Common Lectionary sucks a lot of emotion out of the liturgy by deleting important but unpopular verses like 1 Corinthians 11:27-34, omitting surprisingly massive portions of the Gospel According to John, and forcing people to only hear one of the three beautiful Synoptic Gospels for a year; traditional one year lectionaries are more emotionally impactful because they ensure the most poignant texts are chosen given the particulars of each liturgical rite. Here is an article on the problem: http://liturgy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/LitCan_Oct_05.pdf

Since it was published, a Presbyterian seminarian has proposed what I consider a partial fix, Year D, focused on the Gospel According to John, but sadly uptake has been limited, and also the problem remains of having to wait to hear all the Gospels, only now you have to wait three years rather than two to hear your favorite. However, one possible solution would be to exploit the fact that the RCL assumes one Sunday service only, and in the course of a typical midsize parish, when there might be an early morning liturgy and late morning liturgy on Sunday, and a vespers or evening liturgy on both Saturday and Sunday, all four could be used, and this would work especially well if you had four pastors, which alas, you don’t.

Another solution might be to just massively increase the scripture reading by reading, for instance, Year A and Year B at Matins, and Year C and Year D at the Eucharist, and then increment each year so next year it would be Year B and C at Matins and D and A at the Eucharist, and in general, the pastor would preach at one or the other, or at both, but select from the smorgasbord of lessons particular texts. However, doing expositional preaching of all four would be impossibly difficult, as my friend @Paidiske pointed out. I myself do not enjoy preaching and frequently reuse Patristic homilies, and to me there is an appeal in the idea of hearing that much scripture without a sermon, but truly good sermons do move me. Whether or not I am capable of preaching such a sermon is another question, but I limit my sermons to 15 minutes for a reason.

Given the overall headaches of the RCL I think the best approach is to restore the traditional one year lectionaries, and Dr. Peter Kwasniewski, one of the foremost liturgical minds in the Roman Catholic Church, recently released a YouTube video on why this is a good idea (and why the three year lectionary was a bad idea):

And while Dr. Kwasniewski is focused on what is right for the Roman church, what is good for the Roman Catholic Goose is, in this case, equally good for the Protestant Gander (and for both Catholics and Protestants in both Goose Bay and Gander). This is because the problem is, the Roman Catholic three year lectionary was adopted into the Common Lectionary, which was then revised to become the Revised Common Lectionary, and a few other derivatives appeared like the erstwhile, marginally superior lectionary in the 1979 Episcopalian Church USA Book of Common Prayer, the use of which was suppressed in favor of the RCL around 2013 or 2014 I think (my Episcopalian friends @seeking.IAM or @PloverWing would know), and a few other three year lectionaries still in use in some denominations, but these all suffer from the same flaws pointed out in the LiturgyCanada article and by Dr. Peter Kwasniewski.

Indeed, the only denominations not suffering from the problems caused by the three year lectionary are either those which do not use fixed lectionaries, but rather lectio continua, reading the Bible “from Genesis to Revelation” like the Calvary Chapel, which has a downside in that traditionally, Christians hear the Gospel and at least one other scripture lesson at the main Sunday service, or worse, those churches where the pastor unilaterally decides which verse to read (since humans are very predictable and thus find it mathematically very difficult when it comes to making truly random decisions), and also the Continuing Anglicans, who use the 1928 Protestant Episcopal Book of Common Prayer exclusively, the SSPX, a religious order which is in a state of irregular canonical relations with the Vatican and which exclusively uses the 1962 Missal and Breviary, and the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian and Eastern Catholic churches, most of which are extremely traditional and would never consider adopting the Revised Common Lectionary** (except for the Maronites, whose liturgy was heavily modified at Vatican II after the style of the Roman Rites).

Are we all not those who have an awareness of what God has done for us.
Are there not just times when we are aware of God's touch upon our lives, are these the only times we we reach out to Him? What about the times when nothing special has happened to us, can we not still reach out to Him, because we delight ourselves in our God?

Of course! Formal worship serves a specific purpose, that being for the Church to come together and glorify God through an offering of praise and thanksgiving while receiving His grace through the operation of the Holy Spirit. Informal worship on the other hand consists of the prayers of supplication and thanksgiving we all make as part of our daily life, important prayers. We are commanded to pray without ceasing, and this is actually possible: Hesychasm, an Orthodox monastic discipline, being a way of attaining unceasing prayer of the heart, while the frequent recitation of the Jesus Prayer (“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me, a Sinner”), or the Rosary, or the Lord’s Prayer, or the Psalms, is popular among both monastics and laity. This prayer outside of scheduled church services is vitally important for spiritual health; if you stop worshipping when you leave church, you need to start, because praying as much as possible, about as much as one can think to pray about, is a critical part of one’s life in Christ.

Having stressed the extremely important function of informal worship, also known as private devotion*, let us review the function of formal worship: God is glorified through our worship by means of thanksgiving, in the form of doxologies, hymns and if course, the Great Thanksgiving, the Eucharist (Eucharist literally means thanksgiving), which has been ordained by Christ as a perpetual anamnesis, that is to say, a memorial and recapitulation of his sacrifice on the Cross, in which we are guests at the Lord’s Supper.
together with all Christians in all times and in all places, just as we are baptized with our Lord in the Jordan. There is also the petitioning of God for help, and prayers of expiation, seeking His forgiveness for our sins, forgiveness which is of course granted.

Many Christians believe this grace is received sacramentally. In most cases, this is through outward sacraments, such as Baptism through sprinkling, pouring, or the triple immersion, even of infants, in the churches with the most traditional liturgies (the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, the Assyrian Church of the East, and the Ancient Church of the East, and their Eastern Catholic counterparts like the Ukrainian Greek Catholics, Coptic Catholics and Chaldean Catholics), and Holy Communion by partaking of bread and wine which has become, depending on your denominational belief, either physically, spiritually, or symbolically in most cases (memorialists usually do not believe that Communion imparts sacramental grace, and often call it an ordinance, performing it and baptism because our Lord ordained them as mandatory observances, analogous to circumcision among the Jews). Additional means of outward sacramental grace can include confession and absolution of sins, Holy Matrimony, Holy Orders (ordination, from anything ranging from a reader or altar boy to a deacon, presbyter or bishop), anointing with oil either an individual person who is unwell, or for the health of the entire congregation (thus, this sacrament, also known as Holy Unction, and prescribed in seven New Testament verses which form the core of the Byzantine and Coptic liturgies for Unction, in both cases traditionally served on the Friday before Palm Sunday, although since the 19th century several Eastern Orthodox churches, and I assume their Byzantine Catholic counterparts, increasingly celebrate Unction on Holy Wednesdays. And I have seen it served on other days as well. It is actually I believe up to the parish priest if he feels he needs to give his congregation unction, for example, perhaps in the middle of the summer if the Apostles’ Fast is unusually long, or perhaps in winter if the majority of the congregation is recovering from a cold or food poisoning or other illness or trauma ( @prodromos and/or @HTacianas might be able to confirm that).

Some Christians however, such as Friends (Quakers) and Salvationists (members of the Salvation Army) believe strongly in an inward reception of the sacraments. So, spiritual communion and spiritual baptism. Interestingly, some liturgical churches also believe in these, but as a means of special grace provided by the Holy Spirit to those who are isolated and unable to get to church.

*There is also public devotion, which is particularly common in Roman Catholic and Anglo Catholic churches, and also exists in Eastern Orthodoxy: in the latter, it consists mainly of the singing of the Akathist hymn, and in the group recitation of the Jesus Prayer, which was stressed by St. Sophronius, the founder of one of the first Eastern Orthodox monasteries in the UK. In the former, it consists of the group recitation of the Rosary, the Novena, the Angelus, and Eucharistic Adoration, such as the Holy Hour, or less commonly, a Forty Hours Devotion, in which pious Catholics take turns adoring the consecrated Host over a period of forty hours.

** Part of the reason why the RCL works on an ecumenical basis is because all of the major Western Protestant churches use liturgies largely derived from the Roman Rite, with varying levels of modification. For example, even though in most ancient liturgical churches, the Nativity Feast, or Advent, is six weeks long, in the Roman Rite it is four weeks long, and this is normal across the majority of liturgical Protestant churches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
According to About the Revised Common Lectionary – The Episcopal Church , the Episcopal Church adopted the Revised Common Lectionary in 2006.

Indeed. The difference was very slight, but I preferred the old one because it included 1 Corinthians 11:27-30 as an optional Maundy Thursday lection, which is less desirable than the full pericope mandated by the classic 1928 BCP, but is still better than the RCL just dropping it, presumably out of fear of discouraging people from frequently taking communion (this is what I have read concerning the Novus Ordo lectionary on which the RCL was based).

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
  • Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
By the way, here is a useful comparison chart on the Epistle lesson between the Novus Ordo, RCL and 1979 BCP lectionary:

Modern Western Lectionaries: Second Readings – biblicalia

And this is a list of the lections for Year D, which I regard as the only plausible means of rectifying the RCL (albeit with the use of some sort of parallel track strategy as described above). The Year D Project: YEAR D - THE LECTIONS

Thanks for the comparison chart. It's much easier than trying to hold up the BCP and the RCL side by side.

Year D looks reasonable. Presumably, a year D is intended to bring in readings that the designers of years A-C didn't want to include in the Sunday cycle. So, I was afraid year D would be a year of plowing through all the death sentences in Leviticus and the begats in I Chronicles. And then some poor priest would have to figure out what sermon to preach. Yes, all Scripture is profitable, but I wouldn't want to have to preach on "Mikloth begat Shimeah". :confused: But year D looks better than I expected.

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for the comparison chart. It's much easier than trying to hold up the BCP and the RCL side by side.

Year D looks reasonable. Presumably, a year D is intended to bring in readings that the designers of years A-C didn't want to include in the Sunday cycle. So, I was afraid year D would be a year of plowing through all the death sentences in Leviticus and the begats in I Chronicles. And then some poor priest would have to figure out what sermon to preach. Yes, all Scripture is profitable, but I wouldn't want to have to preach on "Mikloth begat Shimeah". :confused: But year D looks better than I expected.

Actually Park Street Church has been preaching an excellent series on Leviticus. The real problem with the RCL is the surprising amount of widely known and popular pericopes that it lacks. And even Year D is missing content. There is an alternate proposal for a fourth year called “Beyond the Revised Common Lectionary.” Also, somewhat in jest, I have been toying with a Year E using the Gospel of Thomas and the Gospel of Peter (although I have as I once mentioned in WWMC seriously considered .

Speaking of the Gospel of Thomas, I really want to meet the elderly Bishop Stephen Hoeller, because although he is a heretic per se, he is an extremely interesting man, and specifically he has some knowledge on the Mandaeans and Yazidis, the latter of whom, along with the related Yarsani religion (which is similar but refers to the most recent incarnation of their figure of devotion as Sultan Sahak rather than Sheikh Adi, and is not endogamous nor closed to outside conversion, indeed I even found a catechism of theirs online, but their religion is so obscure I could not understand most of the references) as Crypto-Christian descendants of a Kurdish church which was probably influenced by Syrian Gnostics.

On the subject of heretical churches, it seems that King’s Chapel in Boston, with their modified Book of Common Prayer, and Stephen Hoeller’s church, have the most interesting liturgy, with the Jehovah’s Witnesses having the worst. Also Christian Science sounds fairly dull. The difference is of course the latter two religions are cults which in the case of the J/W group practice Scientology shunning (at least Christian Science doesn’t do that, and at one time they were respected in the 20th century as just another denomination, indeed I used to think that about them until I found out about the whole rejection of medical care in favor of simony thing). However, the one positive with Christian Science is that as they rapidly shrink, their edifices are being taken over in many cases by legitimate churches, or else demolished, for example, the Brutalist Third Church of Christ, Scientist in Washington. Sadly the Unitarians are growing, but at least they aren’t a cult.

By the way, there is a fully Nicene orthodox King’s Chapel in Brooklyn, New York City which is completely unrelated to the former Anglican parish that went Unitarian in 1786, and which appears to be an independent Reformed liturgical congregation which looks quite interesting, one of a number of single-congregation hidden gems, another being the Wesleyan Epworth Chapel on the Green in Boise, Idaho, whose services I love watching, as they are like the United Methodist services from my youth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

I should also note that Year D does have a drawback: the appointed lections for certain feasts, particularly Christmas, are highly unexpected.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
As promised, two more good services, a Syriac Orthodox liturgy and a Salvation Army Palm Sunday service. I will post the Christian Church/Disciples of Christ service but I havent decided which one to post yet, and these two extremes I think are more useful for the moment in showing just how high church and low church I am comfortable with. Also, as an intermediate level of churchmanship, I wanted to link to the aforementioned Epworth Chapel on the Green. So here we are:

The exquisite Syriac Orthodox Holy Qurbono (Eucharistic Liturgy), which along with the Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy is one of my two personal favorites:

Sunday Morning service of the independent traditional Wesleyan Epworth Chapel on the Green in Boise, Idaho (consider that in my youth, the vast majority of United Methodist liturgies looked like this):

A delightful Salvation Army Palm Sunday service from Staple Hill, where curiously the homily talked about the importance of Apostolic Succession (not what one would expect to here Salvationists preach about, but it was good):

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I should also note that Year D does have a drawback: the appointed lections for certain feasts, particularly Christmas, are highly unexpected.

I hadn't looked that closely, but you're right. The readings for Christmas are terrible. For the Feast of the Incarnation, we really do need to postpone our mission to read through the whole Bible, and take a couple of weeks to read about Baby Jesus. The Genesis 14 reading for Christmas 1 is almost as bad as the begats!

Similarly with Epiphany, Easter, and Pentecost, I see.

Year D isn't a bad concept, but I suggest that the authors of the proposed year D should look more carefully at the church year as they select their readings.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I hadn't looked that closely, but you're right. The readings for Christmas are terrible. For the Feast of the Incarnation, we really do need to postpone our mission to read through the whole Bible, and take a couple of weeks to read about Baby Jesus. The Genesis 14 reading for Christmas 1 is almost as bad as the begats!

Similarly with Epiphany, Easter, and Pentecost, I see.

Year D isn't a bad concept, but I suggest that the authors of the proposed year D should look more carefully at the church year as they select their readings.

I have the book by Professor Slemmons, and he was very meticulous; he provides a detailed rationale for each of his selections, even the unusual ones. It is a good book and I suggest it, and its on Scribd, so you can read it for free via a trial of Scribd or get it from your library. I also have it on Kindle. Furthermore, I will dig up a quote from him on the subject.

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought about posting this thread in Traditional Theology, where I have posted collections of thrilling liturgical worship before, however, recently I have added to my collection several worship services which are not liturgical, even if they are broadly speaking liturgical, or are from denominations which do not precisely align with the SOP. Also, posting this thread here should allow some debate, and I am genuinely tired of seeing and hearing guitars and encountering people who think that worship consists of dancing to thinly disguised rock music with vapid lyrics that offer nominal references to our Lord but are utterly devoid of the deep theological meaning that characterizes traditional Christian hymnody.

I have elsewhere proposed that the loss of this traditional music is not only correlated with, but actively contributed, to the decline in church attendance, because this music works, whether the Protestant chorales composed by Martin Luther, Isaac Watts, Charles Wesley, and others, the Gregorian, Renaissance and Baroque motets and cantatas composed by Bach, Palestrina, Morales, Byrd, and other composers, primarily Lutherans, Roman Catholics, and starting in the 19th century, High Church Anglicans, to lyrics dating back to St. Ambrose of Milan, the exquisite Byzantine Rite music whether in Greek or Church Slavonic, whose lyrics are of equal antiquity, with the average age of hymns in an Eastern Orthodox or Traditional Latin Mass being roughly a thousand years, and with both ancient chant settings according to Byzantine antiphony, Georgian triphony, or the Znamenny Chant of the Old Rite Orthodox, as well as newer music by Greek, Russian, and Ukrainian composers like Tikey Zes, Pavel Chesnokov and Dmitri Bortniansky, as well as fine, lesser known Serbian, Georgian and Romanian composers, and in the same category as the Byzantine music we have the traditional West Syriac chant of the Maronites and Syriac Orthodox, the East Syriac chant of the Assyrians and Chaldeans, beloved of our friend @Pavel Mosko, the Tasbeha, or Coptic chant, which our friend @dzheremi and I greatly enjoy, and the melismatic and percussive music of the Ethiopian Orthodox, composed in the ancient Semitic Ge’ez language, which closely resembles Hebrew and Aramaic, and from which the current vernacular dialects of Ethiopia are derived, and which has the oldest system of musical notation in continual use in the world, and thus contains the oldest surviving melodies of Christian music. And finally we have the original hymnal of Christianity, the Bible itself, which is traditionally chanted or sung rather than read, and parts of which are specifically intended for singing, such as the Psalms, the Song of Songs, and the three Evangelical Canticles at the beginning of the Gospel of Luke, just to name a few. Indeed a Canticle most frequently refers to a song included in scripture, for example, Benedicite Omni Opera, the song of the three Hebrew youths kept alive by the presence of Christ or an angel representing Him typologically in the furnace in Babylon, despite Nebuchadnezzar’s insane desire to incinerate them (this incident is also one of many in Scripture which should give pious Christians pause about cremation).

The reason why this is relevant is of course because those churches which retain traditional worship in exclusivity, like Continuing Anglican parishes in the US, Traditional Latin Mass parishes worldwide, and the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, are outperforming mainline churches which admit elements of contemporary worship. And while megachurches with rock bands are well attended, they represent a tiny fraction of the total Christian population and of the total number of parishes in existence, so for your average neighborhood Baptist or Presbyterian or Catholic church to try to compete with that will only alienate people (also, consider the mega churches with rock concert style worship have very highly paid “worship teams” and can afford to license from Nashville the most valuable IP; in contrast, the exquisite Mass for Three Voices by William Byrd was designed to be sung by a small choir in a small space, written during a time when “Popery” carried the death penalty in Elizabethan England and Byrd was able to survive only because his music composed for the court, including an exquisite setting of Anglican worship music for the Chapel Royal, earned him royal favor. And we know from the success of Traditional Latin Mass parishes from the time they were universally authorized by Pope Benedict XVI until the time that a great many were suppressed a year ago by his successor that using Byrd’s Mass for Three Voices along with the rest of the traditional aspects of worship is a great way to attract Catholics to worship. And likewise, every indication shows that the 1928 Book of Common Prayer outperforms the 1979 and 2019 editions in the United States, and the same pattern holds true for most denominations. By the time we reach Southern Baptism, in many cases, square note singing will draw congregations an electric guitar could never draw, and likewise the attendance levels of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in Scotland and its North American counterpart the RPCNA with its A Capella Exclusive Psalmody, and worship which is not substantially different from that instituted by John Knox, are impressive in comparison with the established Church of Scotland and the mainline PCUSA. And likewise, PCUSA parishes less political in their worship and more traditional, for example, the Waldensian Presbyterian Church, whose attendees are descended from the ancient Protestant ethno-religious group which later joined the Calvinists in Geneva, has beautiful traditional worship, is not blatantly political, and is well attended.

Enough theory for the moment, as there are beautiful church services to see, to delight the soul and the senses in Godly bliss:

To start out with, I had been given cause to lament the scarcity of Anglican parishes in Canada still using the beautiful 1962 Book of Common Prayer, but here is one doing a splendid job, St. Thomas Huron Street in Toronto, and also with ceremonial during their Eucharist on a par with the Tridentine mass:

More traditionally Anglican is their Choral Evensong, which along with St. Sepulchre in the City of London is one of only two Anglican parishes where I have recently heard Choral Evensong conclude with the traditional collects including the Prayer of St. Chrysostom, which is always a delight as that prayer is also the prayer of the Third Antiphon in the Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy.

But if that is too high church for you, the Morning services of Congregationalist Park Street Church in Boston, the last traditional Congregationalist church in Boston, shows how low church worship can also be exquisite. Their Easter Sunday service and their service last Sunday show the breadth of their classical music program. Conversely, their contemporary Evening service is awful, although I still love Park Street Church and for a long time used a picture of their exterior as my profile pic om CF.com. But I wish their Evening service was more like that of St. Thomas Huron Street.

Old South Church, a beautiful UCC parish with traditional worship, is hard for me to watch, because of the extremely political character of the clergy, not just their sermons, but even remarks made elsewhere in the service, which is a pity. Old North Church, of “Two if by sea” Paul Revere fame usually has an extremely nice, moderate young man as pastor and I have often linked to their services in Traditional Theology; he was on vacation until two weeks ago, and while he was away, they had an older Episcopalian priest who was not only political but abrasive and generally grouchy; I felt compelled to downvote their videos on YouTube while he was preaching. Fortunately, the regular priest has returned, and conducts the service in a manner inclusive and respectful towards Americans of all political views.

In my next post, I shall display three splendid services: a Syriac Orthodox liturgy, a Sunday worship service with traditional hymns of the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in a particular town in Kentucky, and a Salvation Army parish (called an encampment or citadel or something) in suburban London, UK on Palm Sunday, representing three tiers of churchmanship, maximum solemnity, traditional mainstream Protestant, and low church Evangelical, all done splendidly. And then later I think a Byzantine Rite liturgy, an Lutheran service, and a Reformed Presbyterian Church that uses A Capella Exclusive Psalmody should again show how worship can be exquisite regardless of what Anglicans call “churchmanship,” basically, the amount of ceremony and solemnity.
You made me homesick for the Pastor who introduced Eric Metaxes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
By the way, here is a useful comparison chart on the Epistle lesson between the Novus Ordo, RCL and 1979 BCP lectionary:

Modern Western Lectionaries: Second Readings – biblicalia

And this is a list of the lections for Year D, which I regard as the only plausible means of rectifying the RCL (albeit with the use of some sort of parallel track strategy as described above). The Year D Project: YEAR D - THE LECTIONS
For point of reference, in Lutheran Service Book, we are given a choice; the historic one year lectionairy that is more or less the same to the Tridentine one (actually pre-trent) and our mildly revised three year one. It is a free choice of the Pastor and Congregation to decide.

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Regarding how worship should look; here is Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Detroit; the Mass done right!!

Once again the synod of the Show Me State shows us how its done!

Missouri of course being officially known as the Show Me State.

• Haha
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
You made me homesick for the Pastor who introduced Eric Metaxes.
Didn't know who Eric Metaxes was, you referred to. Looked him up; Oh Yes!

Who was the Pastor?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Makes me think of something my family has always believed, and something a good friend once said. We have always believed that excellence in music is important, not that a little 'spontaneous' fun sometimes isn't good, but particularly in worship of our Creator and Lord; no matter how short we come, the excellence of it is important. Also, a quote comes to mind, I can't quote verbatim, but it says something to the effect that anything we add in worship to what God says about himself only detracts.

(I also love it when the congregation sings like a choir, not like cattle. Reminds me of our family devotions, my mother a concert pianist, and my many siblings all singing parts, the way the music was written. Two of them or more often playing wind instruments.)

Anyhow, once I told a friend of singing to stay awake, alone, on a long trip, singing to God from the heart —I said to him that I wondered how it sounded to God. He responded, "Can you imagine what it must be like to hear God singing!"

While I am partial to a huge pipe organ, 9-foot Baldwin grand piano (my mother had two, my father was a dealer), skilled orchestra and a well-tempered (haha) choir, I don't have an issue with newer instruments, to include a guitar and even drums done well and appropriately, but never for the sake of having a guitar and drums. I hate show business. If we are to worship, and sing music to God, it should be (as much as possible) as well as if we were to present it to him according to his own infinitely glorious singing.

Upvote 0