California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm heading to South Africa soon, and my current reading is equipping me with facts and insight about the country and what I'll be doing there. I'll be spending part of the time learning from the Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation and the University of Cape Town Faculty of Health Sciences about their intervention programs for youth living with HIV. Then I'm going to a Zulu settlement called Embo that has one of the highest rates of HIV in the world, as well as dismayingly large number of people afflicted with tuberculosis to help teach a HIV and vaccination education program. I have a very rare disease called Addison's Disease; mine was caused by chickenpox-induced sepsis when I was an infant too young to be vaccinated (but the unvaccinated older child who infected me was not), but in Embo it's primarily due to TB that destroys the adrenal gland. I'm also going to be teaching about Addison's, since even many of the medical professionals there are unfamiliar with it.

One of the reasons HIV is so pervasive there is a lack of knowledge about how it is contracted and transmitted. There's also myths about vaccines, and historically there was a lack of access to them. Thank God a Christian organization has stepped in to provide medical care, including the life-saving vaccinations. I've never been more grateful for anything in my life than to have the opportunity to assist them.

Anyways, so I took a cover of the travel book I checked out because it's so adorable it makes me smile. Then I just took pictures of the other books I'm reading this week instead of listing them:
IMG_4395.JPG
IMG_4396.JPG

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Recently finished The Bible and Homosexual Practice by Robert Gagnon, and wrote the following review on Amazon:

Gagnon provides an exhaustive defense of Scripture's proscription against homosexual sex. He makes it clear throughout that the Bible doesn't oppose the impulse to have same-sex intercourse, but the act itself. His study of Old Testament texts offers an informative look at male temple prostitutes. For a fee, they would allow themselves to be penetrated by men. They would dress like women and even castrate themselves in some cases. The men penetrating them were thought to receive a pagan blessing.

Gagnon's study of New Testament texts is equally informative. Here undercuts various attempts to silence Scripture's warnings against homosexual sex, such as Paul was only concerned with exploitive forms of homosexuality, not stable relationships. Using both biblical and pagan texts, Gagnon shows that although there were exploitive forms of homosexuality in the Ancient World, pederasty was thought to be a noble pursuit, and stable relationships between young boys and men were common. Gagnon also undercuts popular attempts to justify gay sex within the church based on the church's willingness to tolerate divorce. He clearly shows that homosexual sex is never permitted in the Bible under any circumstances, but divorce is permitted in some circumstances.

Also, Gagnon shows the health consequences for individuals and society, especially for homosexual men. Depression, AIDS, and suicidal thoughts are the risks associated with the gay population. Yet, gay activists want to make having multiple partners normative for the gay community.

Written in 2001, Gagnon was prescient with regard to the normalization of transgenderism. He also anticipated the labeling of those with a moral opposition to gay intercourse as bigots (akin to racists) and the threat to their careers. Gagnon himself has recently left his long-time professorship at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, largely (it seems) due to the seminary's unhappiness with this biblical beliefs against homosexual practice.

Gagnon did a great service for the church in writing this book. It can not be recommended more highly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟841,492.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I just finished a book called The Guilt Trip by Hal Lindsey
"The more we let God down, the more we assume His anger, until such alienation sets into our minds that it is virtually impossible for us to enjoy a vital fellowship with God. And the pitiful tragedy is that all this is just in our minds, God isn't mad at us!"
"I, even i, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake; And I will not remember your sins." The Lord Isaiah 43:25

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Earatha

Feb 26, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
✟34,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Finished IT by Stephen King, loved the book. It's rare to see those things written about so well. I legitimately got scared reading that. Now I'm reading Carrie. Yuck. Just yuck.

Also reading the American Institute of Steel Construction manual. Because you can never know too much about steel construction. Yes, reading that for fun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Stanfordella, you might be interested in ‘The Man With the Key Has Gone’ by Ian Clarke. The book deals with the massive Aids problem in Uganda.

HereIstand, thanks for the recommendation - sounds like a very interesting and helpful book.

Almost finished reading the story of Robert Murray McCheyne, a Scottish minister who died aged 29, but had a powerful ministry in his short life.

Gillian

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟62,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
San Jose State University - An Interpretive History 1950-2000 by: James P. Walsh (published in 2003)

I saw this book online and bought it because I went to college there back in the 80's. It turns out that this is a very detailed and great read. I had no idea so many interesting things happened at SJSU during that era. The old saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" really applies here. The cover is bland and boring, but it's what's inside that counts. And I think anyone who likes history will enjoy this book.

Last edited:
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟841,492.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am reading God's Workmanship (The energy of the indwelling spirit of God working in those who are ready to walk in His name) by Oswald Chambers. His writing sure helps one to grow in the Lord. (Ephesians 2:8 -10)

Upvote 0