Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ecclesiastes 8:15

eccl. 7:15 Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.
A good name is better than fine perfume,A)'>
and the day of death better than the day of birth.B)'>
2 It is better to go to a house of mourning
than to go to a house of feasting,
for deathC)'> is the destinyD)'> of everyone;
the living should take this to heart.
3 Frustration is better than laughter,E)'>
because a sad face is good for the heart.
4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure.F)'>
5 It is better to heed the rebukeG)'> of a wise person
than to listen to the song of fools.
6 Like the crackling of thornsH)'> under the pot,
so is the laughterI)'> of fools.
This too is meaningless.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
A good name is better than fine perfume,A)'>
and the day of death better than the day of birth.B)'>
2 It is better to go to a house of mourning
than to go to a house of feasting,
for deathC)'> is the destinyD)'> of everyone;
the living should take this to heart.
3 Frustration is better than laughter,E)'>
because a sad face is good for the heart.
4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure.F)'>
5 It is better to heed the rebukeG)'> of a wise person
than to listen to the song of fools.
6 Like the crackling of thornsH)'> under the pot,
so is the laughterI)'> of fools.
This too is meaningless.
Ah. You choose your verses, I’ll choose mine. The Bible offers verses for all.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah. You choose your verses, I’ll choose mine. The Bible offers verses for all.
All of Ecc. to me is a lamentation and we just do not know what Solomon is being sarcastic about. eat, drink and be merry might be part of all is vanity.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
All of Ecc. to me is a lamentation and we just do not know what Solomon is being sarcastic about. eat, drink and be merry might be part of all is vanity.
That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. I’ll take it at face value.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I think he goes on , in harmony with God's Other Instructions also,
to point out that to do that (e,d,and be m) instead of obeying God is folly/ sinful....
and
he continues then to show what to do actually , again in line with all of God's Word and not opposed to it.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think he goes on , in harmony with God's Other Instructions also,
to point out that to do that (e,d,and be m) instead of obeying God is folly/ sinful....
and
he continues then to show what to do actually , again in line with all of God's Word and not opposed to it.
context is hugely important.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I would like to ask all Christians and Non Christians alike the following 2 questions :

1) What are we here for on this earth?
2) What is my purpose on this earth?

Know God - John 17:3
Love God - Matthew 22:36-38
Glorify God - 1 Corinthians 10:31

How is this accomplished?

Put on Christ - Romans 13:14
Live in surrender to Christ - Romans 12:1
Be conformed to Christ - Romans 8:29; 2 Corinthians 3:18; Philippians 1:21

there is no wrong or right answers,

Oh? I don't think the Bible agrees with you, here. There are most definitely wrong answers.

Upvote 0

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would like to ask all Christians and Non Christians alike the following 2 questions :

You can answer anything you like, but please one request, please keep your answers positive as these questions are meant to help you as a person to think positively, OK?

Believe it or not this is intended to help all those who are having struggles, so answering these questions in a way that would help those with struggles would be a good answer, and there is no wrong or right answers, just keep them positive.

If you are having struggles , try to think of positive ways of expressing just that, you never know if someone else is having the same struggle.

Russ

Hello Russ,

I think your questions on the subject are answerable by you only. There could be many answers. Biologically speaking, we are the result of hundreds of thousands of years of evolution, with our ancestors having to survive wars, disease and early death before they could give birth to their children. We also could be descendants of rapists, murderers or just plain ole good and decent people. We could be descendants of royalty or peasants. Our birth could have been planned or accidental. We could be born out of illicit affairs, or born to rape victims or to loving couples.

Contrary to what a common religion tells, we are not born with a manual. In many ways, we repeat the story of our immediate ancestors. If our parents are racist, chances are we will be racists also. If parents were loving, chances are we'll be loving also.

There is also a hierarchy of needs at play. If you are starving for food or sex, your purpose questions would have different answers before and after you satisfy your needs and desires.

Personally, I grew up in a very religious home where my father was strict in discipline and guiding me where he wanted me to be. To a point where I'm not really driven to start anything new. I'm a good follower but not so great of a leader. Is it possible for me to change? Probably yes! But then why should I change? That's only for me to answer, right? Perhaps no change is needed and just stick to what has worked, for the better or worse.

How's that for a non-answer of an answer?

FYI I'm in the process of changing my religious status to an Atheist from "Baptist". I'm a former Christian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

You can answer anything you like, but please one request, please keep your answers positive as these questions are meant to help you as a person to think positively, OK?

Believe it or not this is intended to help all those who are having struggles, so answering these questions in a way that would help those with struggles would be a good answer, and there is no wrong or right answers, just keep them positive.

If you are having struggles , try to think of positive ways of expressing just that, you never know if someone else is having the same struggle.

Russ
We’re not here for any pre determined reason. We just are.

Reactions: BigV
Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

After Staff Review

Thread is Now

Permanently Closed
RV: SoP Violation

Struggles by Non-Christians
The Struggles by Non-Christians is a forum where non-Christian members (see list under non-Christians at the bottom of this link) may share struggles of a personal nature, of understanding about God, requests for prayer, and similar topics may be posted here. Orthodox Christians may respond and provide prayer, feedback, support, and encouragement.

This is a no debate forum. Questions that ask to prove God, rather than serious inquiries about God or faith, are not permitted in this forum.
General Apologetics is not permitted here.

Only non-Christians may start threads here, and only orthodox Christians may reply to your thread. Christians (orthodox and unorthodox) may not start threads here.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.