Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What are the reasons someone would want to follow God?

To be honest I a searching for a reason to continue, and I am only finding one: Not going to Hell. I am hoping I see something on the list I might care about besides that one.

Also let me clarify something, if the reason is sufficient for you, that is great, I am happy for you. I do not mean to demean anyone's reason.

• Useful
Reactions: Tone

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We find happiness in the Holy Spirit: Galatians 5:22-23 by serving God and his children. Also we hope for the resurrection of the dead, and to live in Heaven with a loving family and Father. There is no greater thing for mankind.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

To be honest I a searching for a reason to continue, and I am only finding one: Not going to Hell. I am hoping I see something on the list I might care about besides that one.

Also let me clarify something, if the reason is sufficient for you, that is great, I am happy for you. I do not mean to demean anyone's reason.

If avoiding hell is the only reason you follow God, then do you really love him for who he is? Don't you want to follow him because he is the very pleasure and end of your existence? Don't you want to follow him because only in him there is true happiness and joy of living? What is life without the one who gave and enriched it? What is pleasure without the source of all delight? These temporal things in life are but beams and streams and shadows, he is the very source and substance of them all. The Christian is one who is most willing to continue to follow God, even if there isn't life after death, because to know and love God surpasses all the passing pleasures that can be experienced without him.

John Piper once said, if you could go to heaven and have all that you ever want: perfect health, enjoy any recreation possible, never age, see all of your friends and family, etc, but God was not there, would you be happy? Examine your heart. Most, I'm afraid, would say yes. They do not see God as their only happiness, but just another name on a list or a means to an end.

If you love your dear mother or father, brother or sister, for who they are how could you think less of your Creator? We don't treat him as the one and only of our precious souls, the only reason to live.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

What do you mean by "follow God"? Do you mean be obedient to the Creator? Well, it is very reasonable for me to do what I was created to do, since He is the author of Reason. Wickedness may be explained as when something does not fulfill its purpose,e.g. a chair that does not support any weight, is wicked. So, if one does not desire to "follow God", it is impossible for this to be according to reason, in fact,...it is the exact opposite. Therefore, one who is reasonable will desire to follow God.

*Of course, it is Messiah and His work that has lightened our sight, that we may clearly see this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's proper to consider that God doesn't just arbitrarily say to follow Him or go to hell. There are reasons and there is an overall logic to why hell is right for those who won't follow Him and why God cannot righteously allow anyone into heaven otherwise. He Created all things, we owe our very existence to Him, His ways are inherently good/right/true/holy and going contrary to Him is inherently dark/evil/unrighteous/unholy; He has also labored and spent Himself through His Son to reconcile us to Him and restore us into His kingdom in a way that satisfies His Justice and upholds His law by the shedding of His blood for our redemption. We should follow Him in light of WHY He had to labor to redeem us and in light He has done in following through with His plan of redemption to bring us to Himself and save us from our sins. What else is there to live for? How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation? Is not life vain otherwise (the point of the book of Ecclesiastes, by the way)? Where are His enemies who refused to repent and follow him- have they not died in their sins and not only have hell to look forward to, but also Judgment Day when what God did for them and God offered them will be laid out so that they will be proven to be ungrateful rebels who did not appreciate this enough to repent, live for Him, and fall in line with His purposes? What reasons could any person think of not to follow Him that will hold up in court when all the evidence is laid out and considered honestly? Who could ever provide a righteous excuse that their Creator was unreasonable to demand that they be subject to Him and/or claim that He did not have their best interests in His heart in demanding this? Absolutely no one. "Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness." (Hebrews 12:9-10)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One Word. "Love."

We humans need love, to feel we are loved. And when we don't, we get sad, or worse, when someone tells us we'll never be loved, we start to believe it.

But God is the source of Infinite Love, that ascends way beyond what a human can give, or say or do.

Really listen to the lyrics of this song:

When you know God's Love, you'll never be satisfied with the love of anyone else.

Peace be with you, Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aquatic Waves

Mar 31, 2019
USA
✟29,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1. To be closer to him and love him
2. He created us and died for our sins
3. To have him forgive you for your sins
4. Accept him as your savior to receive everlasting life

FYI I'm still learning how to follow God and I continue to learn more

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 16:24 (KJV) Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Through following Him we die to self and are alive to Him.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I need Him. He’s brought purpose, joy, and peace to my weary soul. I sought Him everywhere. And when I found Him He drew me near and never let go. I’ve found my home in Him.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,546.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

The bottom line is that if you turn your back on Christ, then you will fall into unbelief, and the Scripture says that the unbelieving will never inherit the kingdom of God.

I don't think that you have ever experienced real conviction of sin and have not yet seen your total hopeless state before God in that unless you have total faith in Jesus Christ alone, you deserve to go to hell.

• Agree
Reactions: Clara Bear
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Better yet and more pertinent to the question.

What are the reasons someone would (NOT) want to follow God?

Go ahead, make a list for yourself, listing all of the petty reasons you can think of and maybe just maybe the Holy Spirit will intervene in your behalf,
before God Prunes you from the Vine.

John 15:5
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 15:2
Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away:

John 15:6
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

To be honest I am searching for a reason to continue, and I am only finding one: Not going to Hell.

You really don't have to worry about your staying, even because you don't want to go to Hell, because that is not sufficient reason enough, this is what Jesus has said.

Rev. 3:16
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot,
I will spue thee out of my mouth.

I do not have a list for you, you are here asking for someone to help change your mind, Only the Holy Spirit is capable of doing that, all I am able to say is, you need to do some deep soul searching in order for you to find what is missing because, something is definitely missing or you would not be here asking for help.

Make a decision before God makes it for you, and the thing you fear the most, will surely come upon you.

Seek the Lord while He may be found.
Be Blessed in Christ

Reactions: Aquatic Waves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

There are only two choices.
To follow God (being our father)
or
Having the devil (as our father)

No grey area.
Even though we try to fool ourselves.

M-Bob

Upvote 0