What are signs a Christian is becoming worldly ?

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Many Christians use the term worldly but what does it exactly mean when a Christian becomes worldly. Does it mean living in sin or choosing things of the world over God ?
Or both what does it look like to you.

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
The World vs God

John 15:18-19 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
  • The world hates you if you are not of the world.
1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
  • Love not the world, because if you love the world the love of the father is not in you.
1 John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
  • The world doesn't know us because it doesn't know God.
Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
  • You can't serve two masters (the world and God), because you will hate one and love the other, or hold onto one and despise the other.
Galatians 1:3-5 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
  • The world is evil, and sinful.

The World in the Church

Revelation 18:1-5 And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory. And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.
  • Babylon is a woman (church) sitting on a scarlet beast (kingdom), a harlot that is guilty of fornication (false worship, idolatry).
  • Come out of her my people, so that you do not partake of her sins and receive her plagues.
2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away [apostasy; defection from the truth] first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
  • Apostasy in the church; defection from the truth.

Conclusion
  • It does not know God, and does not know us.
  • It will cause you to hate or despise God, because you can't serve two masters.
  • It is found anywhere there is sin and evil. Sin is defined as transgression of the law of God (1 John 3:4), the wages of which is death (Romans 6:23).
  • The world is found in a church that is guilty of fornication, and of apostasy, and we are called out of it.
TL;DR—Both.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 John 2:16 KJV
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Upvote 0

Dosblade

Aug 5, 2013
✟20,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many Christians use the term worldly but what does it exactly mean when a Christian becomes worldly. Does it mean living in sin or choosing things of the world over God ?
Well before you knew God how did you live? Even if you didn't sin before knowing Christ you were worldly. You know there was :) Christian site and this girl was praising the lord because she prayed about something and He answered it. One would think on a Christian site that would be front page huh .. nope. If I want to know more about that I have to search but if I want to know just about the world that's always front page. See it was never that way from the start it took years to get there. So today its just normal. Some for our life's. Now there are other Christian sites where its always just about the lord.. I hang there.

There was a man that only read the bible nothing else. That man through Christ so many were saved healed delivered. If I want to know about whats really going on in the world I will seek and ask my Father. How can so many not know Christ post and no one tells them how loved they are.

You know OP there is that old saying that is not truth. Something like don't be so heavenly minded your no earthly good. That goes against the word of God. Seek Him and His righteousness. So to not get caught up in the world you have to always renew your mind. Always.. every moment of every day. The enemy never sleeps he is at this 24/7 never ever stops.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From I John 2:16 :

lust of the flesh:
"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Gal 5

lust of the eyes:
Includes "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's." Exo 20:17, Eph 5

pride of life: we know this one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I think instead of the inverse of this question. "What does it mean when the worldly become Christian?" How are our lives and actions changed when we become new creations in Christ? We are to turn away from sin and do our best to live according to how God wants us to live rather than living according to our own desires and inclinations.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Romans chapter 12.. Don't conform to ways of the world.

Discipline is the key.

Focus on Jesus and planting seeds for God. Studying the bible. God can't use biblically illiterate Christians.

If your too busy for God, He can't use you. A nazirine was totally dedicated to serving God. Not off in the ways of the world. Get the picture.

Amos chapter 2 . You can't have it both ways. You either serve God. Or thier walking in the way of the world.

God doesn't want religious fanatics.

Christian people have to get the seed out of barn and do some work for Jesus.

Getting involved in faise religion is worst thing. God won't use anyone who consorts with false doctrine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

That which is the way and operation of the world--the fallen and sinful disorder we see here--is worldly.

Exploiting others for personal gain, that would be worldly.
Acting in cruel ways toward others, that would be worldly.
Holding grudges, using and celebrating violence, hatred, war. These things are worldly.

Look at what the Lord Jesus says in Luke ch. 6, the contrast between the Beatitudes and the Woes. As you read through the Gospel stories, notice what Jesus says about the kingdom of God/heaven. The way God is king is that the least is called greatest, the last shall be first, we turn the other cheek, we love our enemy. It's about the values and virtues of the kingdom, in contrast to the values and virtues of the powers of this fallen age.

The world values power.
God values weakness.

The world values glory.
God values humility.

The world values selfishness.
God values selflessness.

The world offers power and wisdom, and God reveals Himself in weakness and folly, "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those that are perishing" "We preach Christ crucified, which is a stumbling block for Jews and foolishness to Greeks"

The world says put yourself first, seek wealth, seek prosperity, work for glory.
Jesus says "Take up your cross and follow Me" and "Whoever clings to his life shall lose it, but whoever gives it away shall find it."

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married