What are a few reasons why Christ died upon the cross? (Have a few answers, but would like input).

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yet somehow managed to become king makers and establish their own worldly kingdom built upon the same foundations as all other institutions of man. Jesus rejected rule over the world of man built upon those foundations. Too bad His representatives didn't and instead rejected God's Kingdom for their own.
Right. The church has always seen itself as necessarily having a foot in both worlds and Christianity would never have survived and spread without there being a group, of Christians, which means an entity, a social structure, with governance and a hierarchy. Some entities are good, some bad, some indiffernt but they all have to do with accomplishing some goal of some group of people-and they're as much a part of human life as is our own need to perform the practical and mundane and not-so-spiritual matters such as work and brushing our teeth and making sure things in our life are organized and in order.

People play different roles, some are more spiritually oriented while others will be more earth-bound. One of the most spiritual figures I've ever studied was a Spanish believer called Teresa of Avila. She managed to combine a strong, practical and powerful work ethic with perhaps the highest spirituality I've ever encountered. Others will end up as scoundrels, liars, fools, hypocrites -still hanging on to worldliness in any case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Faithful777

Nov 16, 2021
Recife
✟1,680.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Believers need to confess and forsake sin in order to have mercy (Proverbs 28:13). So if a Christian were to sin tomorrow, they are abiding in spiritual death until they confess of their sins with the intention of forsaking those sins and in battling to overcome them with the help of the Lord. But many today in the church think we can sin and still be saved on some level. In one way, they think you can serve two masters although many of them will not admit to saying that.

Sorry, one verse quoted, does not mean you can talk away as you like, it means only as far as this verse shows.

Forsaking sins is the opposite to forsaking God, and it is confessing the Lord ( sinning is denying the Lord)

Those who deny the Lord do so with a hardened heart, and that hardened heart cannot approach the Lord..

Proverbs 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.
14 Happy is the man that feareth alway: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief.

Then the correct and next order of events, is who God chooses and causes to approach unto Him..

Psalm 65:4 Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.

Jesus confirms, they did not choose Him, He chose them and ORDAINED them..

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
Just as Jesus told the disciples, they did not choose Him He chose them and ordained them.

The ones , as many as were ORDAINED to eternal life, belIeved..

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

It is also later confirmed that NO MAN, can approach to Jesus Christ, To His light ( NO MAN IS ABLE TO SEE HIM)...

1 Timothy 6:14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;16
Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

No man has seen God at any time ( no man is able to ever see God) but the Son declares the Father, and only he which is of God has seen the Father ( Christ)

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

Upvote 0

Faithful777

Nov 16, 2021
Recife
✟1,680.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The root of all evil was with Lucifer and his love for power (wealth).

12 “Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
19 All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.” (Ezekiel 28:12-19).

For Paul says that others also erred from the faith because of the love of money (Which is the root of all evil in that it began with Satan).

“For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.” (1 Timothy 6:10).

Verses 4-5 say the prince of Tyrus got wealth himself, by his wisdom and by his traffick, increased riches...

Ezekiel 28:4 With thy wisdom and with thine understanding thou hast gotten thee riches, and hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures:
5 By thy great wisdom and by thy traffick hast thou increased thy riches, and thine heart is lifted up because of thy riches:

Also Psalm 73 shows how it is all ungodly men who increase in riches, by prospering in the world ( as the Prince of Tyrus prospered in the world)

Psalm 73:3 For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

Psalm 73:12 Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.

The wicked all prosper in the world...

Psalm 37:7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

Job 12:6 The tabernacles of robbers prosper, and they that provoke God are secure; into whose hand God bringeth abundantly.

This shows the exact same for Israel, perfect through comeliness, that God had put upon them ( as Hod said He did with Tyrus also) and prospered into a kingdom..

Ezekiel 16:13 Thus wast thou decked with gold and silver; and thy raiment was of fine linen, and silk, and broidered work; thou didst eat fine flour, and honey, and oil: and thou wast exceeding beautiful, and thou didst prosper into a kingdom.
14 And thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God.

The same as Tyrus ended its prosperity, so did Israel...

Jeremiah 22:30 Thus saith the Lord, Write ye this man childless, a man that shall not prosper in his days: for no man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah.

So God prospered Israel, and prospered Tyrus, then took it away. Because they got wealth by their wisdom and by their trasffick.

The difference with the devil is that it is the devil who gives the power and wealth of this worlds to who he chooses, as it was delivered to him for that purpose ( not to be taken away from him)

Luke 4:6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, one verse quoted, does not mean you can talk away as you like, it means only as far as this verse shows.

Forsaking sins is the opposite to forsaking God, and it is confessing the Lord ( sinning is denying the Lord)

Those who deny the Lord do so with a hardened heart, and that hardened heart cannot approach the Lord..

Proverbs 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.
14 Happy is the man that feareth alway: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief.

Then the correct and next order of events, is who God chooses and causes to approach unto Him..

Psalm 65:4 Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.

Jesus confirms, they did not choose Him, He chose them and ORDAINED them..

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
Just as Jesus told the disciples, they did not choose Him He chose them and ordained them.

The ones , as many as were ORDAINED to eternal life, belIeved..

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

It is also later confirmed that NO MAN, can approach to Jesus Christ, To His light ( NO MAN IS ABLE TO SEE HIM)...

1 Timothy 6:14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;16
Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

No man has seen God at any time ( no man is able to ever see God) but the Son declares the Father, and only he which is of God has seen the Father ( Christ)

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

So you believe in Calvinism? This is the belief that God elects (forces) some to be saved against their free will, and He either un-elects (does not choose to save) others to be tortured alive in flames for all eternity when He had the power to save them by He simply chooses not to save them. Is that what you believe the Scriptures teach? That God creates life specifically to torture them for all eternity?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is that what you believe the Scriptures teach?
How about that if they sin it is not their fault and need not take responsibility for their actions. It's always someone else's fault, in this case God's. That thinking would have come in handy during the bloody reformation.

Upvote 0

Faithful777

Nov 16, 2021
Recife
✟1,680.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nobody is tortured for all eternity, everlasting destruction in damnation is enough to make men regret living without a conscience, or is it..

2 Thessalonians 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jeremiah 5:22 Fear ye not me? saith the Lord: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it?
Definitely a call for respect

Upvote 0