What are a few reasons why Christ died upon the cross? (Have a few answers, but would like input).

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are a few reasons why Christ died upon the cross?

I will start.

#1. Christ died upon the cross to forgive us our sins (Hebrews 9:22).

#2. Christ died upon the cross so that He might sanctify us with the washing of the water of the Word (Scripture) so that He might present to Himself a church that is holy and without blemish or spot (Ephesians 5:25-27). For Christ died for us to redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:14).

#3. Christ died upon the cross because it would nail to the cross those ordinances that were against us in the Old Law (Colossians 2:14-17).​

There are other reasons I can think of, but I will let others have a chance to answer, as well.

Oh, and please keep in mind that my reasons are not listed in order of importance or anything. For I have another reason that could potentially be a #1.

• Informative
Reactions: Siddhi Koli

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
- Because it is natural for man to destroy what it does not understand

- the world man has built in our own image sees any counter-culture as an enemy and Jesus represented the ultimate counter-culture

- the institutions of man protect themselves from any foreign threat. It's an oxymoron but weakness always uses power to protect itself.

- the weak run the institutions and the world and feel constantly threatened (as they should)

- God's will is a threat to the self serving will of man because the ways of man are adversarial to the ways of God

- etc.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
- Because it is natural for man to destroy what it does not understand

- the world man has built in our own image sees any counter-culture as an enemy and Jesus represented the ultimate counter-culture

- the institutions of man protect themselves from any foreign threat. It's an oxymoron but weakness always uses power to protect itself.

- the weak run the institutions and the world and feel constantly threatened (as they should)

- God's will is a threat to the self serving will of man because the ways of man are adversarial to the ways of God

- etc.

Not exactly sure what this has to do with the topic of thread. Are these truly reasons why Jesus died upon the cross?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are these truly reasons why Jesus died upon the cross?
Absolutely from the standpoint of human nature which of course the Romans and priests had and lived by. What happened to Jesus was an obvious outcome from the start. It still is today and has been all through history when anyone chooses to buck the system of man (through peace and not war)

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I will start.

#1. Christ died upon the cross to forgive us our sins (Hebrews 9:22).

#2. Christ died upon the cross so that He might sanctify us with the washing of the water of the Word (Scripture) so that He might present to Himself a church that is holy and without blemish or spot (Ephesians 5:25-27). For Christ died for us to redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:14).

#3. Christ died upon the cross because it would nail to the cross those ordinances that were against us in the Old Law (Colossians 2:14-17).​

There are other reasons I can think of, but I will let others have a chance to answer, as well.

Oh, and please keep in mind that my reasons are not listed in order of importance or anything. For I have another reason that could potentially be a #1.
Christ died, rose and ascended to heaven so that His Holy Spirit, once lost through Adam, could once again be restored in His people. He has made His Home in us once again.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely from the standpoint of human nature which of course the Romans and priests had and lived by. What happened to Jesus was an obvious outcome from the start. It still is today and has been all through history when anyone chooses to buck the system of man (through peace and not war)

Well, God had commanded wars or battles in the Old Testament to destroy sinful nations. The Lord Jesus will return a second time in battle to destroy all of the sinful nations to set up His peaceful kingdom.

• Winner
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, God has caused wars or battles in the Old Testament to destroy sinful nations. The Lord Jesus will return a second time in battle to destroy all of the sinful nations to set up His peaceful kingdom.
But that does not self justify our aggressive behaviour. It didn't take any supernatural power for God to already know the outcome of putting a peaceful counter-culture into the self serving world man has made in our own image. The outcome was a given and played nicely into his plans. However, the Kingdom will not stoop to using the ways of man to regain the world. God will not use what causes our problems to remove those problems. Thousands of years of history have shown that fractured thinking as leading to results being only temporary in nature.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But that does not self justify our aggressive behaviour. It didn't take any supernatural power for God to already know the outcome of putting a peaceful counter-culture into the self serving world man has made in our own image. The outcome was a given and played nicely into his plans. However, the Kingdom will not stoop to using the ways of man to regain the world. God will not use what causes our problems to remove those problems. Thousands of years of history have shown that fractured thinking as leading to results being only temporary in nature.

I think you missed the point of this topic of this thread. Please check the OP again to see what this topic is really about. For it appears you want to discuss something else. If so, please create another thread for that, my friend.

In any event, may God bless you.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know???

I guess i just figure He made a pretty big sacrifice coming from the Father to us here on earth, for our own good. I guess He planted the seeds within humanity that will eventually grow into the kingdom??
I guess He knew we would kill Him - but He did it anyway for our own good.

I don't understand all the animal sacrifice stuff - Jesus is basically an animal sacrifice for sin, but not an animal in this case - and for all time etc etc I don't see how killing Jesus on the cross joins us to God???

Mystery to me.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think you missed the point of this topic of this thread.
I understand you want to look at it from God's point of view but He was well aware of how things would turn out to His advantage because He simply looked at things from our point of view and sees how selfishly pathetic we are as a species. Unfortunately little of that concept is taught in church these days. It more about what's in it for us. Luke 16:15, James 4:4

The only reason it was necessary for Jesus to even come, let alone die is because we are useless at resolving our own problems. Time we took responsibility for His death, instead of simply glorifying the outcome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know???

I guess i just figure He made a pretty big sacrifice coming from the Father to us here on earth, for our own good. I guess He planted the seeds within humanity that will eventually grow into the kingdom??
I guess He knew we would kill Him - but He did it anyway for our own good.

I don't understand all the animal sacrifice stuff - Jesus is basically an animal sacrifice for sin, but not an animal in this case - and for all time etc etc I don't see how killing Jesus on the cross joins us to God???

Mystery to me.

First, man has sinned against God and man is deserving of being cut off from God and being punished in the Lake of Fire.

Second, Hebrews 9:22 says, “…and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.”
The animal sacrifices never took away sin permanently, but they only provided a temporary atonement in that the OT saint had to keep revisiting the same past sins year after year to atone for them by continually offering sacrifices with by a priest.

“For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.” (Hebrews 10:4).

When Jesus came, He became the ultimate perfect sacrifice to atone for mankind’s sins. Jesus became our sacrifice and Heavenly high priest.

See, our sins are really horrible to God and they separate us from Him because He is a righteous and holy God. God provided a way to atone for our sins properly by the exchange of life of one that is innocent (Jesus). In this case, Jesus who was sinless died in our place to offer us a way of escape from being punished or destroyed in the Lake of Fire. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but shall have everlasting life (John 3:16). For God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9).

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only reason it was necessary for Jesus to even come, let alone die is because we are useless at resolving our own problems. Time we took responsibility for His death, instead of simply glorifying the outcome.

Do you not see how Jesus died for our sins in order to save mankind?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christ died, rose and ascended to heaven so that His Holy Spirit, once lost through Adam, could once again be restored in His people. He has made His Home in us once again.
Blessings.

Thank you for contributing. Nice point, but I like to look at the grand scheme of things. I would say that this would also include the salvation of men so that God can be with man in His Kingdom for all eternity and not just here on this Earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you not see how Jesus died for our sins in order to save mankind?
Jesus died because of our sins, in order to save mankind. What he offered is a Kingdom contrary to the world man has made in our own image. Unless we relinquish hold of that world, his death will mean nothing to those who don't reject it.

Also don't forget what Jesus said was the reason for His coming.. to spread the good news that the Father would once again reign over and among man. People keep ignoring that, planning instead how they are going to benefit. Perhaps a little more attention should be paid to the good news making it about Him instead of about us.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus died because of our sins, in order to save mankind. What he offered is a Kingdom contrary to the world man has made in our own image. Unless we relinquish hold of that world, his death will mean nothing to those who don't reject it.

I agree with this statement, and this is more of the answer that I was seeking.

You said:
Also don't forget what Jesus said was the reason for His coming.. to spread the good news that the Father would once again reign over and among man. People keep ignoring that, planning instead how they are going to benefit. Perhaps a little more attention should be paid to the good news making it about Him instead of about us.

It is written…

“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (Hebrews 11:6).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and this is more of the answer that I was seeking.
Which is why I showed the nature of man first. It is our behaviour that triggered the need to create a new Kingdom to bring to us. Man can't reject and repent of what he doesn't first understand and take responsibility for, our adversarial actions.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which is why I showed the nature of man first. It is our behaviour that triggered the need to create a new Kingdom to bring to us. Man can't reject and repent of what he doesn't first understand and take responsibility for, our adversarial actions.

Painting one side of the story without the good news of Jesus is just painting one side of the story whereby one does not have a complete picture.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Painting one side of the story without the good news of Jesus is just painting one side of the story whereby one does not have a complete picture.
We must first know who we are in order to understand who we can become IMO. The people of Jesus' day and long before, longed for what He brought without being told of it. This when the only thing they knew was oppression. The first thought in anyone's head would be there has got to be something better than this when they prayed, or even if they didn't.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We must first know who we are in order to understand who we can become IMO. The people of Jesus' day and long before, longed for what He brought without being told of it. This when the only thing they knew was oppression. The first thought in anyone's head would be there has got to be something better than this when they prayed, or even if they didn't.

Again, but your point would be off topic to the thread if all you talk about is the bad condition or the problem of man with no solution or remedy that is found in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus gave us the remedy . That we should put the will of the Father ahead of our own which was love all as self. The Kingdom coming would not necessarily be a remedy but rather a fitting world for those who repented, thus made worthy to live with the Father when His Kingdom/governance comes to rule over us. His Kingdom come, His will be done in earth as it is in Heaven.

Upvote 0