What actually happens when we ask Jesus to be in our lives?

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where do you come up with that nonsense? No!

What does it mean to be dead?
Death is simply a separation.
Physical death is the separation of the soul from the body. The body ceases to function, but the soul still exists.
Spiritual death is the separation of the soul from connection to God. The soul still exists, but it is cut off from the sustaining root: God.

A spirit cut off from God (dead) can still seek God and find Him, because God is not far from any of us, but being close is not the same as being connected. The soul is not resurrected (reconnected to God) until the person is baptized into Christ (Rom 6:1-4, Col 2:11-14). That is when the Holy Spirit unites the soul with Christ’s resurrection.
Good Day, Doug

This is the fourth or fifth time you have referred to dead being defined as separation.

None of the Greek lexicons I have show that as a normative translation to English.

Can you provide a Greek resource (lexicon) that shows this and no English translation has "separation" in the Eph text if you could point me to that also version of scripture.

nekros

Thayer Definition:
1) properly
1a) one that has breathed his last, lifeless
1b) deceased, departed, one whose soul is in heaven or hell
1c) destitute of life, without life, inanimate
2) metaphorically
2a) spiritually dead
2a1) destitute of a life that recognises and is devoted to God, because given up to trespasses and sins
2a2) inactive as respects doing right
2b) destitute of force or power, inactive, inoperative
Part of Speech: adjective
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from an apparently primary nekus (a corpse)

(ASV) And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins,
(Bishops) And you that were dead in trespasses and sinnes,
(Darby) and *you*, being dead in your offences and sins—
(ESV) And you were dead in the trespasses and sins
(NIV) As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins
(ESV+) R10And you were R11dead in the trespasses and sins
(Geneva) And you hath he quickened, that were dead in trespasses and sinnes,
(KJV) And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
(KJV+) AndG2532 youG5209 hath he quickened, who wereG5607 deadG3498 in trespassesG3900 andG2532 sins;G266
(YLT) Also you—being dead in the trespasses and the sins,

In Him

Bill

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟14,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Doug

This is the fourth or fifth time you have referred to dead being defined as separation.

None of the Greek lexicons I have show that as a normative translation to English.

Can you provide a Greek resource (lexicon) that shows this and no English translation has "separation" in the Eph text if you could point me to that also version of scripture.

In Him

Bill
You are right, I cannot find a lexicon that makes this connection. But I can do you one better than a man written lexicon. I can give you Scripture that says so.

Exodus 32:33
Isaiah 59:2
Micah 3:4
1 Cor 15:15

All of these passages say that sin separates us from God, or causes God to hide His face from us.

Rom 5:12
Rom 7:23
James 1:16

These passages tell us that sin is death, or brings about death.

Further, Jesus is life, and He came to bring life to the dead through reuniting us with God (spiritual resurrection).

This makes these two equal: spiritual death = separation from God, and this is caused by sin.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are right, I cannot find a lexicon that makes this connection. But I can do you one better than a man written lexicon. I can give you Scripture that says so.

Exodus 32:33
Isaiah 59:2
Micah 3:4
1 Cor 15:15

All of these passages say that sin separates us from God, or causes God to hide His face from us.

Rom 5:12
Rom 7:23
James 1:16

These passages tell us that sin is death, or brings about death.

Further, Jesus is life, and He came to bring life to the dead through reuniting us with God (spiritual resurrection).

This makes these two equal: spiritual death = separation from God, and this is caused by sin.
Good Day, Doug

Well seeing Scripture are written words and written words have meaning, and the "word" choices made by the writer are made in order to convey truth and idea's in a standardized and useful way.

I have seen you struggle with the grammatical construction of the "prepositions"

Your continued assertion here is baseless and lacking any meaningful support at all:

"What does it mean to be dead?
Death is simply a separation."

Quoting other Scripture to in some way patch together you own subjective definition of a word choice made by the author is not a very good form of hermeneutics. So your understanding and application of those written texts is some what questionable in my mind.

If the writer wished to teach that it was separation as you assert the word choice would have been or some form of:

chōrizō
Thayer Definition:
1) to separate, divide, part, put asunder, to separate one’s self from, to depart
1a) to leave a husband or wife
1a) of divorce
1b) to depart, go away

I do believe that our sin separates us from God, and that we are dead in sin. Both are true but they are not the same.

Thanks for your interaction.

In Him,

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟14,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Doug

Well seeing Scripture are written words and written words have meaning, and the "word" choices made by the writer are made in order to convey truth and idea's in a standardized and useful way.
Indeed, words have meanings. And sometimes concepts that were not thought of as similar are brought together in Scripture. One example is Jesus being called “Israel” in fulfillment of a passage of OT Scripture that said “Out of Egypt I will call my Son”.
I have seen you struggle with the grammatical construction of the "prepositions"
Ahh, I see. I am the one struggling because I don’t agree with your interpretation of a passage. Got it. Thank you for the clarification.
Your continued assertion here is baseless and lacking any meaningful support at all:

"What does it mean to be dead?
Death is simply a separation."

Quoting other Scripture to in some way patch together you own subjective definition of a word choice made by the author is not a very good form of hermeneutics. So your understanding and application of those written texts is some what questionable in my mind.
You are welcome to question me all you want. But I didn’t give you my opinion. I gave you Biblical fact.
If the writer wished to teach that it was separation as you assert the word choice would have been or some form of:

chōrizō
Thayer Definition:
1) to separate, divide, part, put asunder, to separate one’s self from, to depart
1a) to leave a husband or wife
1a) of divorce
1b) to depart, go away
Not necessarily. Separation gives a temporary, soft, gentle connotation. But death connotes something final, hard, and violent. God, through the writers, wanted to covey the permanence of the separation from God, thus “death” is the word chosen.

But we can see from both the Old and New Testaments the concept of sin causing a separation from God, and that sin is “death”.

Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
He tells you to open the Bible to the 4 Gospels, then the rest of the NT, then the rest of the Bible. To show you understand anything, you should be able to show how Re:12 is an expansion of this verse:
Ge:3:15:
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman,
and between thy seed and her seed;
it shall bruise thy head,
and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Start reading when you are about 30 years old, when you are about 60 you might have some insights into the big picture.
Just killing, make it 70 years old instead.

Upvote 0