What actually happens when we ask Jesus to be in our lives?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been doing a lot of study on this lately, but I thought I'd ask this question here...
Is there anything that happens TO us?
What happens IN us?

This covers that:
Knowing God Through Answered Prayer - Steps 1, 2, 3

Long answer:
One has to "make a request" and continue making the request over and over and over.

Eventually, you realize that your request focused on what you want.
Is what you want really the best for you?
Then you have to understand that The Father already knew about the request before you started.

At some point, you need to stop pushing your own agenda and fully release the results over to God and KNOW that your request has already been fully answered.

So we should pray as Jesus instructed us to. In the same framework as the Lord's Prayer.
Lord's Prayer Explained

Yes, at the instant that you fully release your ego from the results
the Father will instantly fill your mind with relief. Usually, you get the relief and "knowing He has heard you" and your eyes open in search of His answer to your prayer that He planned out long ago.

So the next passage explains why this happens:

John 3:21
But whoever practices the truth
comes into the Light, so that it may be
clearly seen
that what he has done has
been
accomplished in God.

Practice the Truth that God knows you full and knows fully what is best for your life.
Do this and He will open your eyes to His answer for you. It is done. It is a done deal.

I've reached the point of fully removing my ego from the prayer a few times, but the results were quite dramatic as if God has reached in and changed the world around me, it seemed in that minute.
The landscape and the weather changed in one instant, one time. While I was flooded with relief of "It is Done" the clouds cleared, the rain ended, and the place my wife and I needed to have suddenly appeared. We got out of our car into the sunshine after hours of pouring rain.

On continued analysis in the years since, what I discovered was that God had changed my prayer to match what was about to occur and made sure the timing was correct, just to let me know He was there.

In one case, I needed dramatic help.
In another, my wife needed dramatic help.
In another, the request was stupid but still granted.
The commonality between all events was the total release of the request from my ego that called for me to have control over the outcome.

This is the method needed to allow the Spirit in:
Suppress your desire to control the outcome and even your insistence on controlling the request.

The Father already heard your past and future prayers before He formed the World. Then He set up the entire world to answer each one of your prayers and conversations with Him.

Again:

He then set up the entire world to answer each one of your prayers and conversations with Him.

Now, all one has to do is trust His judgment to either get their prayer changed, or their prayer answered as He wills it. But on the occasion of true surrender, He steps in AS IF with a magic wand and grants your prayers.

On one occasion, God answered my prayers weeks before I prayed for somebody else's benefit. He then handed me the prayer in those minutes before answering it just so I would know He was with there and was the "God With Us". He fill my mind with the message "It is Done."

Now...skeptics have informed me that of my thousands of prayers, I only recall the 3 answered ones. That's not the case. I only remember the times that I totally committed the outcome to God and KNEW that my prayers were answered, well before they were answered. God mentally informed me that He had taken care of my problem. Then He took the next few minutes to show me what He had already done hours or weeks before.
And this explains that:

Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Getting prayer answered is as simple as looking forward.

Mark 11:24
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer,
believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

(It is done. The answer is already in front of you. God heard your request and already acted on it.)

Jeremiah 33:3
Call to me and I will answer you and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.
(It is done.)

Matthew 6:5-8
“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Colossians 4:2

Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.
(It is done.)

Matthew 7:7
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. (It is done.)

John 9:31
We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him.

Psalm 55:17
Evening and morning and at noon I utter my complaint and moan, and he hears my voice.
(It is done.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMisso
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been doing a lot of study on this lately, but I thought I'd ask this question here...
What happens IN us?

a turning to see ... the door God causes us to knock on is Himself ...

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wondering what you've found.

One thing that happens is from "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus which reconciles us to God is the baptism for salvation. Baptized "by" the Holy Spirit "into" the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection.
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5;18).)

2-'water baptism - most everybody knows Scripture on this one

3- By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, He endures us with power for service to Him and to keep His Word. (Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; John 1:33, Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: MarkMisso
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What happens IN us?
We are made alive in Christ Jesus. Previously, we were dead in trespasses and sin.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
What happens IN us?
Not sure quite what you are referring to, with, "when we ask Jesus to be in our lives." Are you talking about repentance and submission after having been already saved, or is it just another way of saying, "when we become saved", or what?

Reactions: msortwell
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What happens IN us?

the 66 books are a singular cohesive narrative of a process happening within us at this present moment ... a wilderness we walk in (strangers in a strange land), when God calls us we begin to question where we are, which is the first of three questions he asked Adam who is a portrayal of us all ...

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What happens IN us?
Paul says it the best in Galatians 2:20!

20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

It means that God has given you the Holy Spirit and the same life that the Christ lived can be lived in and by you, if you believe that Jesus is able and willing to direct your path.

:oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,801.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved [(justified and progressively sanctified)]. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? Rom 10:13-14a

If a person calls honestly on Jesus it is because he is already saved. Calling may be that first evidence of a saving faith.

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness [justified - declared righteous by God], and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation [progressing sanctification]. Rom 10:10

The answer would be the same if the question was, "What happens when someone invites Jesus into their heart?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faithisthekey1

Jan 5, 2022
Auckland
✟937.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What happens IN us?
Hello
When I first became a christian I responded to an altar call. I wouldn't say I felt much different at all that evening, maybe strangely. But what I began to gradually notice, and markedly in my life was an awareness of my shortcomings before God, or my sin you might say. Before I made that commitment I was trouble free in this area, but not afterwards. And over time, it became more and more acute.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,801.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Too often, our understanding of the work that was performed in us in our regeneration/conversion/salvation is influenced more by what we felt that by what the Word tells us about what happened. That makes sense for a new believer but for maturing saints, it ought not to be.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What happens IN us?
To ask Jesus into our lives is first of all to simply acknowledge and believe in Him, meaning that we now agree with Him in who God is: that He exists and is good, merciful, kind, and loving-and in what He wants: the very best for man, to elevate us out of our pit and into fellowship with Him in His kingdom, a world founded on love directed to eternal life. And so He begins to do just that; He infills us with His Spirit and righteouness and continues to walk with us, a life of grace providing we remain in Him.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What happens IN us?

We are firstly not just asking Jesus to be a part of our lives, we are admitting Jesus as our Lord and Savior, claiming that the truth of His life, death and resurrection gives Him the right and the place to be just that.

When we do this in truth, we become a person in Covenant with God, and our relationship with God is restored to it's rightful place.

Because all relationships take two, both we and God have responsibility to that Covenant.

Upvote 0

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What happens IN us?
Short answer
First you must repent from your sins and then ask got to be in your life because Jesus Christ cannot enter in your life unless you stay away from sin and ask for forgiveness
Then your body will feel very light. You will feel like you have a new heart that is very light. You will feel like something has left your body. Something has been removed from you. That is a sign that Jesus Christ is now with you. When he enters your body, the evil spirits leaves!
May God Bless You

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

What happened in us is that... He (God) removed our heart of stone, and gave us a heart of flesh, God put His sprit with in caused us to walk in his ways and obey his commandments.

The wonder and design of the New Covenant.

God is the cause, we are effected by him, and the results are inescapable... we walk and obey as He purposed. He acts we directly react simple (cause and effect)

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What happens IN us?

Which baptism is a part of the salvation process, based on what the Bible says?

What did Peter say below?

Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

Acts 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

Based on Luke 3:16, and John 1:33, and Acts 11:15-16, the most important thing about the word "baptize" in the New Testament has nothing to do with water. The Holy Spirit is the master teacher promised to New Covenant believers in Jeremiah 31:34, and John 14:26, and is found fulfilled in Ephesians 1:13, and 1 John 2:27. Unfortunately, many modern Christians see water when they read the word "baptize" in the text. Based on the above, what is the one baptism of our faith found in the passage below? How many times is the word "Spirit" found in the passage, and how many times is the word "water" found in the passage?

Eph 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

Eph 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

Eph 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

“baptize” KJV

Mat_3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Mar_1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

Luk_3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Joh_1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;

Joh_1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

1Co_1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do not think we need to ask Jesus into our lives. He has always been there from the moment of our conception. He has loved us from our first breath. In his Being we have our being. He has been waiting for us to love him back and be his disciple. I think we come to a place where we recognize Jesus IS in our life, that He has always been in our life waiting for us to declare Him Lord, follow him, and live as the Body of Christ in this place and this time. Once we do that, the first act of being a disciple is obedience. That is a decision to live differently, being "reborn" if you will -- not necessarily some spine-tingling emotional experience but a conscious decision to live differently and follow his commandments. If you claim to be a Christian without surrendering some part of your worldly self, you probably still have a little more work to do.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What happens IN us?
So what happens to us when we ask Jesus to come into our lives? Depends. He's watching the person. Are they saying it as cliche or are they really meaning it. Do they add with that taking actions to become a disciple of the Lord or is it rather just mouthing words. God looks upon the heart.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟14,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What happens IN us?
What happens to us or in us when we “ask Jesus to be in our lives”?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!

There is no verse, passage, or concept in Scripture that has anything to do with “asking Jesus to be in our lives”. That concept is completely foreign to Scripture.

What is in Scripture is the concept of faith: our belief in the Gospel that causes action in obedience to the things God says lead to our reception of salvation. (James 2:26)

Rom 6:1-4 and Col 2:11-14 both say that when we are baptized into Christ the Holy Spirit takes action to cut our sin from us by the power of Jesus’ blood as we are united with Christs death, and we are made new because we are united with Christ’s resurrection. If we are not baptized, then the Holy Spirit never cuts away our sin and we remain lost in it.

Reactions: msortwell
Upvote 0

Tygra_1983

Dec 29, 2022
Brighton
✟8,226.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Short answer
First you must repent from your sins and then ask got to be in your life because Jesus Christ cannot enter in your life unless you stay away from sin and ask for forgiveness
Then your body will feel very light. You will feel like you have a new heart that is very light. You will feel like something has left your body. Something has been removed from you. That is a sign that Jesus Christ is now with you. When he enters your body, the evil spirits leaves!
May God Bless You

Not to sound too harsh, but that really isn't the gospel.

We are justified (declared righteous, acquitted, pardoned, have peace with God) "by his grace as a gift through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" Romans 3: 24.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0