Florida
✟18,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This question is for those who do not believe in the Theological teaching of Invincible Ignorance...

What do you believe/teach is the eternal fate of those Native Americans who lived and died in North America, prior to the Continents discovery who never heard the name Jesus Christ?

Library : Ignorance—Invincible and Vincible - Catholic Culture

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This question is for those who do not believe in the Theological teaching of Invincible Ignorance...

What do you believe/teach is the eternal fate of those Native Americans who lived and died in North America, prior to the Continents discovery who never heard the name Jesus Christ?

I am not concerned about it.

The reason that I am not is this.

I trust God.

He is more than wise enough.

He is more than smart enough.

He is more than fair and just enough.

Therefore:

He is more than capable of deciding those things.

:)

Upvote 0

Defensor Christi

Oct 25, 2012
Florida
✟18,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am not concerned about it.

The reason that I am not is this.

I trust God.

He is more than wise enough.

He is more than smart enough.

He is more than fair and just enough.

Therefore:

He is more than capable of deciding those things.

Why cant you give an answer? According to most protestant theology there are only two possible destinations...heaven or hell.

So, what happened to their souls? I understand you are not God, but certainly you can apply your theological beliefs to this question and give an answer, right?

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why cant you give an answer? According to most protestant theology there are only two possible destinations...heaven or hell.

So, what happened to their souls? I understand you are not God, but certainly you can apply your theological beliefs to this question and give an answer, right?

I did answer!

My answer is that God knows how to handle it and I agree with whatever He says.

Upvote 0

Defensor Christi

Oct 25, 2012
Florida
✟18,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There's a verse in Scripture about how people are without excuse. Can't recall it, but the message I think is that nobody dies with a legitimate excuse about being unsaved.

So living and dying in a part of the world with absolutely zero contact from anyone...isnt a valid excuse?

Remember, they had no internet, televisions, cell phones...they were living and existing in a part of the world that had not been discovered by anyone who knew of Christ or the Gospel...

Upvote 0

MercyandFaith

Dec 25, 2012
✟22,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So living and dying in a part of the world with absolutely zero contact from anyone...isnt a valid excuse?

Remember, they had no internet, televisions, cell phones...they were living and existing in a part of the world that had not been discovered by anyone who knew of Christ or the Gospel...

I'm sure God makes a path to salvation known to them either through the Holy Spirit or by other means.

Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I believe John 3:18 and the opening chapters of Romans answer it pretty directly. While salvation is ultimately of the Lord and by His grace, the normal means of salvation is trust in the saving work of Christ. Apart from trust in Jesus Christ, men justly perish in their sin.

Upvote 0

Defensor Christi

Oct 25, 2012
Florida
✟18,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe John 3:18 and the opening chapters of Romans answer it pretty directly. While salvation is ultimately of the Lord and by His grace, the normal means of salvation is trust in the saving work of Christ. Apart from trust in Jesus Christ, men justly perish in their sin.

So your answer is hell? Is that correct?

Upvote 0

MercyandFaith

Dec 25, 2012
✟22,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So your answer is hell? Is that correct?

My guess is that even if someone never heard the Gospel directly from another human person, they'd still go to Hell after death for being a sinner.

Might not sound fair, but sin is sin and being unfallen is being unfallen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Defensor Christi

Oct 25, 2012
Florida
✟18,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

So tell me, how do you reconcile a Just and Loving God with an injustice such as this?

That these men and women, who didnt have the opportunity to begin to contemplate the existence of Jesus Christ, sin or the God of Abraham to be eternally damned because of the location of their birth?

Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So tell me, how do you reconcile a Just and Loving God with an injustice such as this?

Well the "just" part is super easy. They are sinners. Justice for them is condemnation, just as it is for any of us apart from Christ.

God's love and justice are not at odds. He has mercy upon whom He has mercy.

That these men and women, who didnt have the opportunity to begin to contemplate the existence of Jesus Christ, sin or the God of Abraham to be eternally damned because of the location of their birth?

No, they are eternally damned because they are sinners. Paul makes very clear in Romans that they have no excuse. They are not innocent victims; they are sinners in the hands of a God of justice. If He is in any way required to do anything other than punish that sin, then there is no true grace in salvation...only obligation.

Upvote 0

Defensor Christi

Oct 25, 2012
Florida
✟18,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well the "just" part is super easy. They are sinners. Justice for them is condemnation, just as it is for any of us apart from Christ.

God's love and justice are not at odds. He has mercy upon whom He has mercy.

No, they are eternally damned because they are sinners. Paul makes very clear in Romans that they have no excuse. They are not innocent victims; they are sinners in the hands of a God of justice. If He is in any way required to do anything other than punish that sin, then there is no true grace in salvation...only obligation.

So then, what must you do to be saved?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

They had their own dealings with God. God knows . my ancestors weren't there to pass down stories .. so how could i know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am asking your theological opinion...

oh . my theological opinion is

if i haven't had a chance to see the depths of their soul

if i haven't heard a word leave their mouth

if body language is as silent as the grave to my eyes

then what sound judgment can i make?

if i do not understand God's plan from end to beginning from age to age

then how can i accurately say what their destiny is?

basically . i don't think the scripture really talks about it enough in depth for me to make a sound judgment on the matter . being that i would be judging others .. and in that the same judgment would be measured back to me .. and i don't even know how they lived and how they died .

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved" (Acts 16:31)
but s a Calvinist, you believe that we are saved without our own actions but totally by God

so it is possible that there were some elect among the Indians even before Columbus came to the Americas?

that they repented of their sin and understood that they were saved not by their own actions but totally by the grace of their Creator
they might not have had the Christian vocabulary, but it is possible that some were saved?

or am I misrepresenting your beliefs?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
also I do not think it is good to speculate about the salvation of others

those who are dead are dead, if they are in hell we can not help them and if they are in heaven they do not need our help

if you are Catholic, say a quick prayer for the poor souls in Purgatory and then stop worrying about it.
if you are Protestant, well then you would obviously not do this

We all have more then enough things to work on in our own walk with the Lord
far too many brothers and sisters in Christ who could use our help
let the dead burry the dead

Upvote 0