Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SAINTS & ART: Steeled by the example of these great saints, let us not be ashamed of proclaiming the name of Jesus in the public and private lives of Canada and the United States.

Eight Jesuit missionaries were tortured and killed over a seven-year period, from 1642-49, in what is today upper New York State and Ontario. They were Sts. René Goupil, Isaac Jogues, Jean de Lalande, Antoine Daniel, Jean de Brébeuf, Noël Chabanel, Charles Garnier and Gabriel Lalémant.

The French had begun settling Canada in the early 1600s. As with the Spanish in Latin America, French arrival in Canada opened the door to Christianization of its native peoples. The Jesuits were the primary agents of that missionary evangelization work.

Continued below.

Reactions: JimR-OCDS

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I read the book, "Saint Among Savages, The Life of Saint Isaac Jogues." by
Francis Talbot.

I also visited the Shrine of North American Martyrs in Auriesville NY. They did
not have the book there, and I believe it was because the title was politically incorrect.

None the less, the book was written based on the memoirs by
Saint Isaac Jogues.

It's an eye-opener to what life was like in the 17th century New World, what the missionaries
went through and what the natives were actually like back then. Fact is, the Native Americans
would have been better served had they sided with the French instead of the English during the
French Indian War.

Upvote 0