Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My husband and I are very keen in attending a Western Rite Orthodox Mass. We've been learning about the Western Christianity and have learned about all these new and wonderful Western Saints that i didn't even know about. :angel:

I was wondering, did any of you ever attend a Western Rite Church? and if yes, how was your experience like? What's the difference between the Eastern Liturgy and the Western Orthodox Mass?

God Bless.

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I haven't been either, but I'm also interested, and have done quite a bit of reading on it. I was crushed to find out that the Western mission in Portland closed it's doors.

Mary is right. If you've been to a good Catholic Mass, a high-church Anglican Mass, or a really high-church Lutheran Mass, you should feel at home.

Upvote 0

Tsarina

Most Holy Theotokos save us!
Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I haven't been to either Catholic Mass, Anglican Mass or Lutheran Mass, so i really don't know what to expect.

I've seen some picture of the Western Rite Mass, it looked different because the vestments are different and there is no iconostas. I know the Western Rite mass is suppose to look like that.
However, i did read somewhere that the iconostas in the West was a gate to separate the the altar and the people.

Okay, so it had an iconostas but it didn't look like what we have today. All this is interesting, and so are the Western Saints! :)

Upvote 0

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello

I attend a Western Rite Mass.

The WR was adopted from the Anglican book of common prayer and was sent to a synod in Russia for approval by St. Tikhon.

I think it was implemented in America around 1904.

There is an ordained priesthood with proper vestments and prayers of consecration said during the service. To receive communion you have to be Orthodox.

Spanning the globe, Russia began missions from Russia to Alaska then to the United States.

It was from across the Pacific ocean and not across the Atlantic to Europe.

Upvote 0

Tsarina

Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello

The WR was adopted from the Anglican book of common prayer and was sent to a synod in Russia for approval by St. Tikhon.

There is an ordained priesthood with proper vestments and prayers of consecration said during the service. To receive communion you have to be Orthodox.

Spanning the globe, Russia began missions from Russia to Alaska then to the United States.

Thank you for sharing this information. How interesting!

I think I'll attend a WR Church once day. To bad they don't have one in my city. I'll you know about my experience.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello

The screen was sort of like an iconostasis but was less solid.
It was known as a "Rood", which is from the Old/Middle English meaning "Crucifix".
Basically, it was a wooden frame, sometimes with icons on it and above was a scene of the crucifixion.
Traditionally on Palm Sunday, the whole account of the Passion story would be read from the screen (they were often strong enough to hold people).

They were systematically destroyed and removed in the Protestant reformation though, with movements like that of the Oxford Movement, they were re-installed into many higher Church of England churches.

I must visit Durham Cathedral to see the old English icons there (very much pre-schism).

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I've always been interested in history, and the Western Rite.

Western Orthodoxy

The Sarum Missal

Sarum Rite (Use of Salisbury) High Mass

Orthodox England

Western Orthodoxy: WARNING: Self-Defense Ahead

Various mp3s of Sarum Chant

What do you think?

Fr. John Shaw: Bishop Kallistos Ware is reported to have said that having a Western Rite would confuse the Greeks in England. If that was Orthodox, they might assume that the Anglicans and Roman Catholics were "really Orthodox" as well. Perhaps that fear is also present in Russia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't it be, "there is neither Eastern or Western Orthodoxy, just Orthodoxy?"

:scratch:
Not really.

TAW is for Eastern Orthodox. How the Eastern part came in, I have no clue.

However, there are Western-rite Orthodox. Just no Western Orthodoxy. If there is a supposed Western Orthodox, than it is most likely Protestants who read a book about Orthodoxy and set up a false wannabe church.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Not really.

TAW is for Eastern Orthodox. How the Eastern part came in, I have no clue.

However, there are Western-rite Orthodox. Just no Western Orthodoxy. If there is a supposed Western Orthodox, than it is most likely Protestants who read a book about Orthodoxy and set up a false wannabe church.

So, to become Orthodox you have to become Eastern first?

Upvote 0

hungrytiger

I don't know what I'm talking about.
Feb 2, 2006
✟1,421.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't it be, "there is neither Eastern or Western Orthodoxy, just Orthodoxy?"

:) I like that.
I think I see what you're saying. Orthodoxy isn't intrinsicly eastern or western. Just like it's neither intrinsicly say Greek or Russian. They are just different expressions of the same Orthodoxy, because in the end there's only one Orthodoxy and it's independent of all that. The truth is the truth no matter your culture. And no one culture has a monopoly on it.
Something like that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
:) I like that.
I think I see what you're saying. Orthodoxy isn't intrinsicly eastern or western. Just like it's neither intrinsicly say Greek or Russian. They are just different expressions of the same Orthodoxy, because in the end there's only one Orthodoxy and it's independent of all that. The truth is the truth no matter your culture. And no one culture has a monopoly on it.
Something like that?

That's the way I understood it when I attended a Greek Orthodox Church...but then again, I wasn't Greek...if you know what I mean.

;)

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Orthodoxy is neither Eastern nor Western.

When the West fell away, Orthodoxy was uniquely preserved in the East. This should not be misunderstood as "belonging" to the East, however. Orthodoxia is oecumenicus.

Upvote 0

Qoheleth

Byzantine Catholic
Jul 8, 2004
✟11,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tsarina said:
I was wondering, did any of you ever attend a Western Rite Church?

I don't think we have any active posters who are Western Rite.

Sorry for not being so active.

This is the parish I am a member of...

http://holyincarnation.org/

We celebrate the Mass according to the rite of St. Gregory (Gregorian).

If you should have any specific questions regarding the "Western rite", I will be glad to help.

Q

Upvote 0

Tsarina

Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm reading a book on St. John the Wonderworker. Many times throughout this book, has he stated to many people about the Western Rite Church, and that it shouldn't be overlooked. St. John the Wonderworker always payed great attention to the Pre-schism Saints of the West. I just found that interesting.

However, in the book it didn't say that he participated in a Western Rite Mass. Other people told me that they have read in other writings that he did service Western Rite Mass. Did anyone else read this, or hear about this?

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sorry for not being so active.

This is the parish I am a member of...

http://holyincarnation.org/

We celebrate the Mass according to the rite of St. Gregory (Gregorian).

If you should have any specific questions regarding the "Western rite", I will be glad to help.

Q

Sorry - the only one I could think of was K3, and he hadn't posted here in a while. I forgot you! :doh:

Mary

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.