Melbourne
✟48,366.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why hasn't Orthodoxy honoured pre-schism western saints with days and icons?

My son was given an anglicized Celtic name at birth but ended up choosing a different name at his (re)baptism, due to none of the 3 pre-schism saints having Orthodox saints name days. I have no great objection to the name he chose; it was an English pre-schism saint and bears some resemblance to his birth name. We have very much anglo-celtic heritage on both sides of his family. However, we do have ancestors who come from the area, where the most famous of the Celtic saints was born and lived.
He was originally going to keep his birth name but had to change because there was no saint day listed in ROCOR for the saint.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why hasn't Orthodoxy honoured pre-schism western saints with days and icons?

My son was given an anglicized Celtic name at birth but ended up choosing a different name at his (re)baptism, due to none of the 3 pre-schism saints having Orthodox saints name days. I have no great objection to the name he chose; it was an English pre-schism saint and bears some resemblance to his birth name. We have very much anglo-celtic heritage on both sides of his family. However, we do have ancestors who come from the area, where the most famous of the Celtic saints was born and lived.
He was originally going to keep his birth name but had to change because there was no saint day listed in ROCOR for the saint.
we have and do, I know plenty of folks named for pre-Schism Western saints.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Malleeboy

Jul 31, 2021
Melbourne
✟48,366.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Awesome, so what are the saint days for these saints in Orthodoxy??

St Eogan of Ardstraw
St Owen of Lichfiled
St Ewen of Brittany
St Abban

ROCOR church my son goes to, had no saints days recorded for any of these saints, so he couldn't be baptized in his given name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Awesome, so what are the saint days for these saints in Orthodoxy??

St Eogan of Ardstraw
St Owen of Lichfiled
St Ewen of Brittany
St Abban

ROCOR church my son goes to, had no saints days recorded for any of these saints, so he couldn't be baptized in his given name.
Found St. Abban of Kilabban (650) (Celtic & British). On March 29 (16) on a ROCOR calendar.

That was the only one I could find in the ROCOR calendar app I use, but I might have missed some. I have painted an icon of Saint Owen, however.
1000007732.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Malleeboy
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,100.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Where did you get the icon from? Be a good gift for my son?
He painted it. Fr Matthew (Nutroll) was an iconographer before he was ordained to the priesthood.

Reactions: Malleeboy
Upvote 0