Were Matthew, Mark, Luke, John etc authentic people?

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do we know exactly who they were?

No we don't. Those names were attached to the gospels about a century later mostly on the basis of legend.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
No we don't. Those names were attached to the gospels about a century later mostly on the basis of legend.
Why do you say that? All of the earliest surviving manuscripts have their names on them.

• Agree
Reactions: Barney2.0
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I assume they were sinners like the rest of us...For we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23) ... Matthew was a despised tax collector, Mark was a servant of Peter who initially denied Christ under pressure, Luke was Paul’s apprentice - Paul who brutally persecuted the Church- and a John was the beloved disciple who lived to an old age.

God willuse whoever He will use to spread His word, as He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy...He is God and Sovereign...of what importance are His tools, if they preach the Truth that is in Christ Jesus?

Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, we do. Especially Luke who travelled with Paul (the apostle and author of 11 of the NT books/letters) and was his personal physician (doctor).

We have the writings of historians of that day also, and Josephus is one of them that you could become familiar with (he was a non follower of Jesus but later, after hearing and writing of him, accepted Jesus as Savior .) Josephus’ Writings and Their Relation to the New Testament

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I assume they were sinners like the rest of us...For we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23) ... Matthew was a despised tax collector, Mark was a servant of Peter who initially denied Christ under pressure, Luke was Paul’s apprentice - Paul who brutally persecuted the Church- and a John was the beloved disciple who lived to an old age.

God willuse whoever He will use to spread His word, as He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy...He is God and Sovereign...of what importance are His tools, if they preach the Truth that is in Christ Jesus?
You can't get more authentic than "just like the rest of us". They weren't very different from the rest of us.

When did Mark deny Christ, though? I never heard of that before.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes but we still do not know who they were then how can they be trusted?
What do you want to know about them? I mean, I don't think we'll figure out who educated them/apprenticed them as children or what sort of delinquency they may have engaged in if that's what you're looking for, but I don't need to know that stuff about the editors of my textbooks, either.

Upvote 0

Godistruth1

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2018
Somewhere
✟97,167.00
Country
India
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
What do you want to know about them? I mean, I don't think we'll figure out who educated them/apprenticed them as children or what sort of delinquency they may have engaged in if that's what you're looking for, but I don't need to know that stuff about the editors of my textbooks, either.
I mean to say their history should be at least documented so it can be once established for them to be credible people

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Were Matthew, Mark, Luke, John etc authentic people?

Of course they were. We know about them mostly from the New Testament, but also from other writings by early Christians. Several people who studied under John went on to become important Church leaders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do you say that? All of the earliest surviving manuscripts have their names on them.

And a number of early Christian writers (writing around the year 150), such as Papias and Polycarp, confirm that authorship.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I mean to say their history should be at least documented so it can be once established for them to be credible people
Well, four of them documented their own (or someone else's) three years with Jesus. The gospels tell us that Andrew and Simon were fishermen. So were James and John, and they worked with their father. Matthew was a tax collector. Judas ended up betraying Jesus.

Again, what is it that you're looking for?

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You can't get more authentic than "just like the rest of us". They weren't very different from the rest of us.

When did Mark deny Christ, though? I never heard of that before.
I don’t know that Mark denied Christ...but Peter did (for whom Mark wrote the Gospel) three times before the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crowed on the night of Jesus’ trial...then was later restored. All of us have sinned...but can still be used mightily by God, praise His Name...

Non nobis, Domine, sed nomine tuo da Gloriam!

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As far as Mark "denying Christ" -- I don't think that's what happenned.

What I see is that Mark (also known as John Mark) was accompanying Paul and another disciple (I think Barnabus) but that young Mark bails out on their mission and leaves. Later, when he wants to go on another one, Barnabus is for him but Paul says No, he wussed out before, I am not taking him again

But later on in life Paul asks for Mark specifically, saying he is profitable for the ministry.

Matthew (also named Levi) was the hated tax collector, Luke a doctor and companion of Paul, John possibly the longest-living and only disciple to die of natural causes-- all the rest martyrs.

All gospel writers were authentic people

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Paul writes to Timothy thinking his life will soon be over:

2Tim 4:6
For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
2Tim 4:7
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
2Tim 4:8
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
2Tim 4:9
Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me:
2Tim 4:10
For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia.
2Tim 4:11
Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes but we still do not know who they were then how can they be trusted?

We know a lot more about the 4 who wrote the Gospels than we know about the so called prophet Muhammad.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Act 15:37
And Barnabas determined to take with them John, whose surname was Mark.
Act 15:38
But Paul thought not good to take him with them, who departed from them from Pamphylia, and went not with them to the work.
Act 15:39
And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other: and so Barnabas took Mark, and sailed unto Cyprus;
Act 15:40
And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God.

Upvote 0

Godistruth1

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2018
Somewhere
✟97,167.00
Country
India
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Well, four of them documented their own (or someone else's) three years with Jesus. The gospels tell us that Andrew and Simon were fishermen. So were James and John, and they worked with their father. Matthew was a tax collector. Judas ended up betraying Jesus.

Again, what is it that you're looking for?
I mean how can we accept people's own testimony? I want to know how we can trust the people whom we are taking religion from?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean how can we accept people's own testimony? I want to know how we can trust the people whom we are taking religion from?

Well, if you don't trust Jesus, and you don't trust the people who wrote about Jesus, and you don't trust the people who wrote about the people who wrote about Jesus, who do you trust? And why?

Upvote 0