Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, what will you wear to the Wedding Feast of the Lamb?
The pure, white, spotless garments of Christ's perfect righteousness, received by faith in Him, or the "filthy rags" of your own "righteousness?
I agree. Amen!

I looked up where that particular exact form of the greek word is used in verse 11 and behold!
Only 1 other verse: Revelation 1:13

Matthew 22:
11 And entering yet the King to gaze of the ones the reclining,
he saw there a Man not clothed /endedumenon <1746> apparel of wedding-feast
Revelation 1:13
and in the midst of the seven lamp-stands, one like to a son of man, clothed/endedumenon<1746> to the foot, and girt round at the breast with a golden girdle,
He mentions the king destroying both them and their city. Pretty harsh for not coming...........
5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
7 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
Then the servants go out again and bid any that wanted to come, both bad and good:
8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
Jesus calls the man "friend/comrade".
12 And he saith unto him, friend/comrade, /hetairos<2083> how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
It is interesting that #2083 is used in only 4 verses of the NT.
One of those in Matt 26:50 when Judas arrives with soldiers to have Jesus arrested after betraying Him
Mat 26:50
And Jesus said unto him[Judas], friend/comrade! G2083 wherefore art thou come?
Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him
2083. hetairos het-ah'-ee-ros from etes (a clansman); a comrade:--fellow, friend.

Perhaps Jesus recognized Him as a type of "Judas" or maybe a type of Jewish ruler?
And why would the Pharisees want to trap Jesus in His words unless they felt He was talking about them?
14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”
15 Then the Pharisees went out and plotted to trap Jesus in His words
John 14:30
"Not still much I shall be talking with ye, for is coming the ruler/Chief/arcwn <758> of the world, and in Me not he is having anything.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I agree. Amen!

I looked up where that particular exact form of the greek word is used in verse 11 and behold!
Only 1 other verse: Revelation 1:13

Matthew 22:
11 And entering yet the King to gaze of the ones the reclining,
he saw there a Man not clothed /endedumenon <1746> apparel of wedding-feast
He mentions the king destroying both them and their city. Pretty harsh for not coming...........

Then the servants go out again and bid any that wanted to come, both bad and good:

Jesus calls the man "friend/comrade".
It is interesting that #2083 is used in only 4 verses of the NT.
One of those in Matt 26:50 when Judas arrives with soldiers to have Jesus arrested after betraying Him2083. hetairos het-ah'-ee-ros from etes (a clansman); a comrade:--fellow, friend.

Perhaps Jesus recognized Him as a type of "Judas" or maybe a type of Jewish ruler?
And why would the Pharisees want to trap Jesus in His words unless they felt He was talking about them?

Very interesting indeed.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The definition of a Christian is hardly 'hypocrit', I think I know the point you are making but it's a bogus statement, pure and simple.

"Hypocrites"

I don't think that everything Paul wrote was bogus.

13Did that which is good, then, become death to me? Certainly not! But in order that sin might be exposed as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

14We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do. 16And if I do what I do not desire, I admit that the Law is good. 17In that case, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. 20And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s Law. 23But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I serve the law of God, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

(Christians are by nature, Hypocrites.)

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"Hypocrites"

I don't think that everything Paul wrote was bogus.

13Did that which is good, then, become death to me? Certainly not! But in order that sin might be exposed as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

14We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do. 16And if I do what I do not desire, I admit that the Law is good. 17In that case, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. 20And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s Law. 23But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I serve the law of God, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

(Christians are by nature, Hypocrites.)
Oh baloney, Paul only uses the term once because Peter was mistreating Gentile Christians. Spare me the hyperbole and if your trying to make a point get on with it. Hypocrit is a normal Greek word for an actor, it literally means one who wears a mask. Jesus described hypociits as white washed tombs, beautiful on the outside and dead on the inside. Christians are nothing of the sort, I wanted to hit the report button but I'm going to give you a chance to explain. Where do you get the nerve to characterize Christians in such broad terms as hypocrits?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh baloney, Paul only uses the term once because Peter was mistreating Gentile Christians. Spare me the hyperbole and if your trying to make a point get on with it. Hypocrit is a normal Greek word for an actor, it literally means one who wears a mask. Jesus described hypociits as white washed tombs, beautiful on the outside and dead on the inside. Christians are nothing of the sort, I wanted to hit the report button but I'm going to give you a chance to explain. Where do you get the nerve to characterize Christians in such broad terms as hypocrits?

Becasue this is the perfect description of a hypocrite:
for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do.

So Christians are hypocrites, if they are at all like Paul.
(a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.)
Paul is also the chief of all sinners.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

mark kennedy said:
Oh baloney, Paul only uses the term once because Peter was mistreating Gentile Christians.
Matthew 24:51
Mark 7:6
Matthew 23:27
Matthew 22:18
Matthew 15:7
Matthew 23:25
Matthew 23:29
Matthew 23:13
Matthew 6:16
Matthew 23:15
Luke 12:56
Matthew 6:2
Matthew 6:5

L

Matthew 23:23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you ...

..... Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! ... Hypocrites!

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Actually, Paul was the opposite of a "hypocrite" in expressing the reality of his "flesh" warring against the Spirit. A hypocrite is one who is dishonest and represents themselves as something other than what or who they truly are. A true hypocrite is deceptive and seeks to cover up the truth. Paul was actually admitting that in his "flesh" he failed, a hypocrite would not have admitted this. A Christian, therefore, is not a hypocrite when they are honest about the battle between flesh and Spirit, they are a hypocrite when they, like the Pharisees, pretend to be someone or something they are not.

Here are some synonyms for "hypocrite": pretender, dissembler, deceiver, liar, phony, fraud, sham, fake

Which of these do you think describes Paul in his honesty about the spiritual battle all Christians face?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

That's not describing a hypocrit if Paul said he had no sin that would be hypocritical. Jesus had no problem hanging out withj prostitutes and publicans, but the pious and devout scribes and pharisees hated him. Because the sinners would repent while the white washed tombs never acknowledged that they were sinners. Hypocricy is being superficially religious but being internally bitter and coveteous. One of the reason the religious of his day hated him is the were jealous, that's why they wanted to kill him. Being a Christian means honestly acknowledging that you are a sinner and God is righteous. The purpose of the Law was to bring you to the knowledge that you are a sinner. That's what Paul was saying, that the commandment, Thou what not covet, produced every kind of coveteous desire. The irony here is once under conviction of sin, your a prime candidate for God's grace. By grace you can"put to death the things that belong to your earthy nature" (Col. 3:5).

May our prayer always be, God have mercy on me a sinner. That path leads to repentance, denying that you are a sinner leads to hypocricy.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not describing a hypocrit if Paul said he had no sin that would be hypocritical. Jesus had no problem hanging out withj prostitutes and publicans, but the pious and devout scribes and pharisees hated him. Because the sinners would repent while the white washed tombs never acknowledged that they were sinners. Hypocricy is being superficially religious but being internally bitter and coveteous. One of the reason the religious of his day hated him is the were jealous, that's why they wanted to kill him. Being a Christian means honestly acknowledging that you are a sinner and God is righteous. The purpose of the Law was to bring you to the knowledge that you are a sinner. That's what Paul was saying, that the commandment, Thou what not covet, produced every kind of coveteous desire. The irony here is once under conviction of sin, your a prime candidate for God's grace. By grace you can"put to death the things that belong to your earthy nature" (Col. 3:5).

May our prayer always be, God have mercy on me a sinner. That path leads to repentance, denying that you are a sinner leads to hypocricy.

Saying you are good or even better than others, or qualified to judge others, but still being less than perfect, that is hypocrisy. Or claiming to know a better way for others, but not performing up to the standards you claim, that is hypocrisy.

Matthew 7:1-5
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

See? No bitterness involved. Just the mistake of judging others.

Matthew 6:1
“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

This is judging others to boost your own ego.

1 John 2:9
Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness.

Judging others.

2 Timothy 3:5
Having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.

Hypocrisy.

Matthew 6:5
“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

No bitterness. Pride of being a saved Christian, or other ribbons, or jewelry crosses.

Matthew 6:2
“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

Boasting about being a Christian or being saved.

Matthew 23:23
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.

People who tithe, but don't help the needy.

Matthew 23:13
“But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. For you neither enter yourselves nor allow those who would enter to go in.

People who fail to treat others just as they would wish to be treated, like "Bruce" Jenner.

It has nothing to do with bitterness or covetous desire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
1 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,

3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.

5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.

7 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.

8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.

9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.

10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.

11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen. - Matthew 22:1-14

Understanding that Jesus was telling a parable, what is meant by "a wedding garment" (without which one is cast into "outer darkness, where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth"?)

To understand this, we must look at other Scriptures. Scripture always provides an answer when we take the time to study and learn the full counsel of God.

Isaiah 61:10
I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Romans 14:11-14
11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Ephesians 4:21-24
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

2 Corinthians 5:16-21
16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Galatians 3:24-29
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Revelation 19:7-9
7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

The "wedding garments" we are to be clothed with to be accepted into the "wedding feast of the Lamb, is Christ Himself. We, who have "put on Christ", have, by faith in His one time and all sufficient sacrifice for sin, believed God, and it has been "imputed to us for righteousness." (Just as with Abraham. - Genesis 15:6, Romans 4:3, Galatians 3:6-9, James 2:23) And so, we too are "heirs of the promise."

It is the righteousness of Christ that we wear, having been found in Him by faith. Not having our own righteousness, (Philippians 3:1-11) not being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish our own (Romans 10:1-4).

In contrast to the true righteousness of Christ that is imputed to us by faith, the only wedding garments acceptable to God, Scripture describes our righteousness this way:

Isaiah 64:6
6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

And regarding his having been a Pharisee who was "zealous" and even "blameless" according to the "righteousness which is in the Law", Paul was inspired to write:

Philippians 3:8-11
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

So, what will you wear to the Wedding Feast of the Lamb? The pure, white, spotless garments of Christ's perfect righteousness, received by faith in Him, or the "filthy rags" of your own "righteousness?
The kingdom is like a king who prepared
A wedding feast for his son, and as the time neared
He sent out his servants to those he did invite.
To come to his feast and to bring their appetite
But they refused going back to their work
And some went so far as to go beserk
The servants they seized, mistreated and killed
The king was enraged and so he willed
For those men to be killed and their city burned.
For that was really what they earned.
Then he told other servants to go all around
And invite anyone so that guests may be found
But when the king came in to see all of those
He noticed a man not wearing wedding clothes
How did you come in dressed that way?
The king asked the man but he had nothing to say
So he tied him hand and foot and threw him out
Into the night where he will weep no doubt
For this is a warning to those who assume
They can dress how they like when they meet the groom
You may have accepted Christ's invitation