United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
1 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,

3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.

5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.

7 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.

8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.

9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.

10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.

11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen. - Matthew 22:1-14

Understanding that Jesus was telling a parable, what is meant by "a wedding garment" (without which one is cast into "outer darkness, where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth"?)

To understand this, we must look at other Scriptures. Scripture always provides an answer when we take the time to study and learn the full counsel of God.

Isaiah 61:10
I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Romans 14:11-14
11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Ephesians 4:21-24
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

2 Corinthians 5:16-21
16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Galatians 3:24-29
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Revelation 19:7-9
7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

The "wedding garments" we are to be clothed with to be accepted into the "wedding feast of the Lamb, is Christ Himself. We, who have "put on Christ", have, by faith in His one time and all sufficient sacrifice for sin, believed God, and it has been "imputed to us for righteousness." (Just as with Abraham. - Genesis 15:6, Romans 4:3, Galatians 3:6-9, James 2:23) And so, we too are "heirs of the promise."

It is the righteousness of Christ that we wear, having been found in Him by faith. Not having our own righteousness, (Philippians 3:1-11) not being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish our own (Romans 10:1-4).

In contrast to the true righteousness of Christ that is imputed to us by faith, the only wedding garments acceptable to God, Scripture describes our righteousness this way:

Isaiah 64:6
6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

And regarding his having been a Pharisee who was "zealous" and even "blameless" according to the "righteousness which is in the Law", Paul was inspired to write:

Philippians 3:8-11
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

So, what will you wear to the Wedding Feast of the Lamb? The pure, white, spotless garments of Christ's perfect righteousness, received by faith in Him, or the "filthy rags" of your own "righteousness?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,

3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.

5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.

7 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.

8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.

9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.

10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.

11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen. - Matthew 22:1-14

Understanding that Jesus was telling a parable, what is meant by "a wedding garment" (without which one is cast into "outer darkness, where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth"?)

To understand this, we must look at other Scriptures. Scripture always provides an answer when we take the time to study and learn the full counsel of God.

Isaiah 61:10
I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Romans 14:11-14
11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Ephesians 4:21-24
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

2 Corinthians 5:16-21
16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Galatians 3:24-29
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Revelation 19:7-9
7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

The "wedding garments" we are to be clothed with to be accepted into the "wedding feast of the Lamb, is Christ Himself. We, who have "put on Christ", have, by faith in His one time and all sufficient sacrifice for sin, believed God, and it has been "imputed to us for righteousness." (Just as with Abraham. - Genesis 15:6, Romans 4:3, Galatians 3:6-9, James 2:23) And so, we too are "heirs of the promise."

It is the righteousness of Christ that we wear, having been found in Him by faith. Not having our own righteousness, (Philippians 3:1-11) not being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish our own (Romans 10:1-4).

In contrast to the true righteousness of Christ that is imputed to us by faith, the only wedding garments acceptable to God, Scripture describes our righteousness this way:

Isaiah 64:6
6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

And regarding his having been a Pharisee who was "zealous" and even "blameless" according to the "righteousness which is in the Law", Paul was inspired to write:

Philippians 3:8-11
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

So, what will you wear to the Wedding Feast of the Lamb? The pure, white, spotless garments of Christ's perfect righteousness, received by faith in Him, or the "filthy rags" of your own "righteousness?

It still sounds like the example was from an actual event, perhaps with a different ending in real life.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It still sounds like the example was from an actual event, perhaps with a different ending in real life.

Are you referring to the parable from the beginning of the OP?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you referring to the parable from the beginning of the OP?

Yes, every parable shows evidence of being taken from an actual event. Since God has all knowledge of everything, this is not that hard to swallow.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes, every parable shows evidence of being taken from an actual event. Since God has all knowledge of everything, this is not that hard to swallow.

Yes, the “marriage supper of the Lamb” is no doubt an actual event. I was simply looking further into what is meant (in the light of other Scriptures) by not having a “wedding garment”, and therefore being cast into outer darkness.

I believe the Bible is clear, we are admitted on Christ’s righteousness, which we receive by faith in the Gospel, and not on our own “righteousness”.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm Colossians 3 Paul tells us to 'put on': compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, forgive as your forgiven and most importantly love that binds these virtues together in perfect unity. When Christ returns the weeding dress of the church are the deeds of the saint. Rightiousmess as a garmet is a common New Testament figure of speech.

Now I'm this parable it should be understood the host provided the wedding garments. This guy without one refused to wear it, he is effectively arriving at final judgment without the righteousness of God. Now this will be after the millennial kingdom, and these are the one Jesus says to, depart from me he that work lawlessness, I never knew you. These are Christians, even ministers, that never recieved the righteousness of God by faith.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm Colossians 3 Paul tells us to 'put on': compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, forgive as your forgiven and most importantly love that binds these virtues together in perfect unity.

“Fruits of the Spirit”, as confirmed in Galatians 5:22.

Galatians 3:1-3 is clear that it is absolutely “foolish” to believe we are “made perfect by the flesh.”

When Christ returns the weeding dress of the church are the deeds of the saint. Rightiousmess as a garmet is a common New Testament figure of speech.

The Church, the “Bride of Christ”, is all those who are born again through faith in Him. All saved and born again believers have “put on Christ” and His righteousness. The “wedding dress” is Christ’s righteoussness, not our own. We know we do not go about to establish our own righteousness, in ignorance of God’s righteousness.

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.- Hebrews 10:1-4

Now I'm this parable it should be understood the host provided the wedding garments. This guy without one refused to wear it, he is effectively arriving at final judgment without the righteousness of God. Now this will be after the millennial kingdom, and these are the one Jesus says to, depart from me he that work lawlessness, I never knew you. These are Christians, even ministers, that never recieved the righteousness of God by faith.

Agreed. He never knew them. The only “wedding garment” that is acceptable is Christ’s righteousness, not our own, which is “filthy rags.”

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
“Fruits of the Spirit”, as confirmed in Galatians 5:22.

Galatians 3:1-3 is clear that it is absolutely “foolish” to believe we are “made perfect by the flesh.”

The Church, the “Bride of Christ”, is all those who are born again through faith in Him. All saved and born again believers have “put on Christ” and His righteousness. The “wedding dress” is Christ’s righteoussness, not our own. We know we do not go about to establish our own righteousness, in ignorance of God’s righteousness.

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.- Hebrews 10:1-4

Agreed. He never knew them. The only “wedding garment” that is acceptable is Christ’s righteousness, not our own, which is “filthy rags.”
The wedding garment of the bride are the deeds of the saints, they are not the filthy rags of the hypocrites, but the peaceable fruits of righteousness. Truly it is the righteousness that is by grace through faith but God is glorified by the works that are manifest in the life of a repentant believer. God is not some cruel taskmasters who calls ministers to heap up burdens that are grevious to be born. The fruits of the Holy Spirit Paul describes in Galations indicate a life of sincere compassion and kindness, a generous nature born of the mercy extended to us at the cross, at conversion, and throughout the believers journey as a pilgrim and stranger in a world that suppresses the truth in unrighteousness.

Righteousness is based on the divine attributes of an eternal God who gives asking nothing in return. That's why we forgive as we have been forgiven, to judge not least we be judged, to go the extra mile and turn the other check. Because that the compassion and kindness we have been shown.

Grace and preace,
Mark

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The wedding garment of the bride are the deeds of the saints, they are not the filthy rags of the hypocrites, but the peaceable fruits of righteousness.

There are definitely "fruits of the Spirit" which should absolutely be evident in a believer's life.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23

I am not arguing against that. (And indeed, only saved, born again believers even have the Holy Spirit indwelling them.)

Yet, Scripture is also clear that those who have believed and been saved have "put on Christ." (Romans 13:14, Galatians 3:27) We have His righteousness, by faith. (Philippians 3:8-9)

Truly it is the righteousness that is by grace through faith but God is glorified by the works that are manifest in the life of a repentant believer.

Of course He is, I never said otherwise.

God is not some cruel taskmasters who calls ministers to heap up burdens that are grevious to be born.

Indeed. I never said He was. Jesus is clear; His "burden" is "light." (Matthew 11:28-29)

The fruits of the Holy Spirit Paul describes in Galations indicate a life of sincere compassion and kindness, a generous nature born of the mercy extended to us at the cross, at conversion, and throughout the believers journey as a pilgrim and stranger in a world that suppresses the truth in unrighteousness.

I agree, the "fruits of the Spirit" are evidence of our salvation. (For all of us who have "put on Christ", having been made a "new creation" in Him (2 Corinthians 5:17) We abide in the "Vine." (John 15:5)

Righteousness is based on the divine attributes of an eternal God who gives asking nothing in return.

Agreed.

That's why we forgive as we have been forgiven, to judge not least we be judged, to go the extra mile and turn the other check. Because that the compassion and kindness we have been shown.

Grace and preace,
Mark

Again, agreed. I have not denied this.

God bless!

Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are definitely "fruits of the Spirit" which should absolutely be evident in a believer's life.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23

I am not arguing against that. (And indeed, only saved, born again believers even have the Holy Spirit indwelling them.)

Yet, Scripture is also clear that those who have believed and been saved have "put on Christ." (Romans 13:14, Galatians 3:27) We have His righteousness, by faith. (Philippians 3:8-9)

Of course we are in agreement on that point, I was just elaborating as I'm sure you were.

Of course He is, I never said otherwise.

I never ment to suggest you were, the subject matter just interested me is all.

Indeed. I never said He was. Jesus is clear; His "burden" is "light." (Matthew 11:28-29)

I wasn't trying to contradict you, certainly never meant to suggest we disagreed, just trying to expand the conversation.

I agree, the "fruits of the Spirit" are evidence of our salvation. (For all of us who have "put on Christ", having been made a "new creation" in Him (2 Corinthians 5:17) We abide in the "Vine." (John 15:5)

Exactly, when we abide as ingrafted branches we inevitably bear fruit, that's what we are saved for.

Agreed.

Again, agreed. I have not denied this.

I have spent a lot of time debating, perhaps I came off as confrontational, that thought never entered my mind. I saw what looked like a pretty interesting Bible study, I was trying to build on what you posted. You have some pretty solid insights, I'm just trying to expand on that.

God bless!

Grace and peace,
Mark

• Friendly
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Of course we are in agreement on that point, I was just elaborating as I'm sure you were.

I never ment to suggest you were, the subject matter just interested me is all.

I wasn't trying to contradict you, certainly never meant to suggest we disagreed, just trying to expand the conversation.

Exactly, when we abide as ingrafted branches we inevitably bear fruit, that's what we are saved for.

I have spent a lot of time debating, perhaps I came off as confrontational, that thought never entered my mind. I saw what looked like a pretty interesting Bible study, I was trying to build on what you posted. You have some pretty solid insights, I'm just trying to expand on that.

Grace and peace,
Mark

My apologies if I came off as argumentative or confrontational as well.

Thank you for contributing to the discussion. :)

God bless you.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My apologies if I came off as argumentative or confrontational as well.

Thank you for contributing to the discussion. :)

God bless you.
Oh my pleasure, I thought your post was great. I've fielded so many controversial topics sometimes I should be more careful about coming off as abrasive. You're fine, I just didn't want you to feel defensive, a study like this should be mutually edifying. It's sometimes hard to find a good Bible study, would hate to muddy the waters by having it mistaken for a debate.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Oh my pleasure, I thought your post was great. I've fielded so many controversial topics sometimes I should be more careful about coming off as abrasive. You're fine, I just didn't want you to feel defensive, a study like this should be mutually edifying. It's sometimes hard to find a good Bible study, would hate to muddy the waters by having it mistaken for a debate.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Absolutely. We are definitely to encourage and edify one another in the faith. I engage in a lot of debates as well, so I know where you're coming from on that. :) It is sad actually that it is more often then not the disagreements that keep a thread going. It's nice to just explore Scripture with brothers and sisters in Christ.

Blessings!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Absolutely. We are definitely to encourage and edify one another in the faith. I engage in a lot of debates as well, so I know where you're coming from on that. :) It is sad actually that it is more often then not the disagreements that keep a thread going. It's nice to just explore Scripture with brothers and sisters in Christ.

Blessings!
I know I've fielded so many arguments from James 2 and 'faith without works is dead', Paul dealt with the same thing in 1 Cor. 11. The works of righteousness is a very different thing the works of the law. I wasn't trying to be confrontational, just think there is an important difference. The royal law according to James is to love your neighbor as yourself. God cares very much how we treat one another, that is how the fruit of the Holy Spirit is manifest in our lives and fellowship. It's an important point to consider and there is ample New Testament authority on that point.

I know it's always been helpful to me, thanks for letting me clarify what I was trying to say.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I know I've fielded so many arguments from James 2 and 'faith without works is dead', Paul dealt with the same thing in 1 Cor. 11. The works of righteousness is a very different thing the works of the law. I wasn't trying to be confrontational, just think there is an important difference. The royal law according to James is to love your neighbor as yourself. God cares very much how we treat one another, that is how the fruit of the Holy Spirit is manifest in our lives and fellowship. It's an important point to consider and there is ample New Testament authority on that point.

I know it's always been helpful to me, thanks for letting me clarify what I was trying to say.

Grace and peace,
Mark

I definitely agree. And such are the "good works" we have been saved "unto."

Ephesians 2:1-10
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Right, which is an important distinction. You are saved for good works not by them. When Paul describes how he worked harder then the other Apostles he said it wasn't him, but the Grace that worked in him. Because he persecuted the church it took more grace to save him. Grace saves us, sanctified us and prepares us for service. Even the gifts of the Holy Spirit are synonymous with grace. How much more so the fruit of the Holy Spirit and the works of righteousness inextricably linked to the power of the Holy Spirit?

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The wedding garment of the bride are the deeds of the saints, they are not the filthy rags of the hypocrites, but the peaceable fruits of righteousness. Truly it is the righteousness that is by grace through faith but God is glorified by the works that are manifest in the life of a repentant believer. God is not some cruel taskmasters who calls ministers to heap up burdens that are grevious to be born. The fruits of the Holy Spirit Paul describes in Galations indicate a life of sincere compassion and kindness, a generous nature born of the mercy extended to us at the cross, at conversion, and throughout the believers journey as a pilgrim and stranger in a world that suppresses the truth in unrighteousness.

Righteousness is based on the divine attributes of an eternal God who gives asking nothing in return. That's why we forgive as we have been forgiven, to judge not least we be judged, to go the extra mile and turn the other check. Because that the compassion and kindness we have been shown.

Grace and preace,
Mark

The definition of a Christian is a Hypocrite.
Romans 7:15
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.

19 For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul was writing regarding the battle between the “flesh” and the “Spirit.”
And when you are no longer flesh, the problem will go away.
No one claims to have any perfect flesh on earth
though we do say Jesus did. He was the one exception.
The only changes we get from God are Spiritual ones.
The flesh remains on us. Look in your bathroom for
cold remedies. Are their none in Christian homes?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
And when you are no longer flesh, the problem will go away.
No one claims to have any perfect flesh on earth
though we do say Jesus did. He was the one exception.
The only changes we get from God are Spiritual ones.
The flesh remains on us. Look in your bathroom for
cold remedies. Are their none in Christian homes?

I’m not sure why you seem to think I started this thread to claim that our flesh is perfect or sinless (or that it should be) Quite the opposite actually. Did you read the OP?

I don’t actually disagree with what you wrote above.

Upvote 0