✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
jwsiii said:
My understanding is that the purpose of fasting is to weaken the flesh and therefore strengthen the spirit. I am an athlete and fasting could have undesirable consequences to my athletic ability. Is there another way to weaken the flesh?

Hi jwsiii,

Forgive me if you're not a Christian, I've just assumed as much but here it goes :D

Some denominations extend fasting to the giving up of a practice which may prevent you from concentrating on your relationship with God, especially if the giving up of food would be detrimental to your health. This would mean that if for example you watch a lot of tv, then part of your fast would be to give that act up and replace it with Bible Study, prayers etc. Or they may only recommend a partial fast either for part of the day or one day a week. It depends on the denomination.

It might be worth contacting your local church and see where they stand with this.

God bless

Upvote 0

sojeru

just a Jew
Mar 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟1,145.00
Faith
Judaism
there are two ways to fast.

one is this, depriving the body of a pleasure and need, the main one is food.
the reason why it was always food was because it showed a remorse and repentance.
notice in sepher Yonah (the book of jonah)
that Nineveh went into fasting for repentance (this SHOWED their repentance)
We jews say you NEED TO MAKE teshuvah (repentance)
repentance is an act not a feeling.
so to fast is a way to show it.

and also look at esther, her people fasted for Hashem to protect our people from death.

the second type of fast is giving to the poor, freeing those captive and bound, and etc. look in the book of Isaiah.

but both are needed

shalom

Upvote 0

Composer

Jun 25, 2003
✟267.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. {little: or, for a little time' (1 Tim. 4: 8) KJS

for BODILY Training is profitable for a little ; ‡ but PIETY is profitable for all things, ‡ having a Promise of the PRESENT Life, and of THAT which is FUTURE. (1 Tim. 4: 8) Diaglott Original Greek Text Interlinear

Just to put a lateral opinion forward for us none athletes

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
jwsiii said:
My understanding is that the purpose of fasting is to weaken the flesh and therefore strengthen the spirit.
Fasting is not designed to weaken the flesh, but to gain more control over it and its desires, imho.

I am an athlete and fasting could have undesirable consequences to my athletic ability. Is there another way to weaken the flesh?
There are other things that you can fast from, e.g., television, internet, candy, chocolate, video games, etc. Or you could also fast by taking on something extra, like sacrificing your time and effort through community service or a Christian ministry. Either way, you're giving up something you want, be it a food, an activity, or time.

Upvote 0