We must obey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scripture tell us that Christ is the Savior of those that obey.
Hebrews 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

So what about those that don't obey?
What if they claim they are Christians?
What about Eternal Security?
Those that don't obey are without faith...Even if they claim to be Christian...
OWAE, throughout the NT faith and obedience are so closely related that in the verse you listed obededience is used as a synonymn to faith... Other areas like Heb 11:8 show obeying as a by-product of faith.
It (obedience) is the inevitable outcome of faith, Paul recognises this in his chastisement in Titus 1:15:16.

A good study is on peitho and pisteuo's relationship etymologicaly such as in Heb 3:18-19 will help one understand the closeness of faith and obedience.

BTW nice to see you around again!

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In the end there is faith, love, and hope, but the greatest of these is love.

Love is the one defining principle that should separate Christians from the world. Our God is Love after all.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,456.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Depends on what you mean by obey?
For those who have faith there is forgiveness.

Christians fail. God forgives.

Depends on their faith.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
None of us can obey...At least not like we are told.
48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Thats why in my earlier post i shared how obedience and faith are veiwed as synonyms in the Hebrews 5:9 quote, and really obedience is inseparable from faith.

Phil 2:13 states...
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Reactions: MrPolo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what about the OSAS believers that claim once you get saved you cannot ''loose'' your salvation even if you return to a lifestyle of rebellion. Do any of those people have anything to say about what Hebrew 5:9 says?
If you're truly saved you won't return to this lifestyle. You may struggle with the sinful nature of the flesh, but that is part of the sanctification process.
By His stripes we are healed.

Upvote 0

onwingsaseagles

Jan 31, 2008
✟2,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're truly saved you won't return to this lifestyle. You may struggle with the sinful nature of the flesh, but that is part of the sanctification process.
I somewhat agree with that, but the question is....Are you saying a true christian will not return to a sinful rebellious lifestyle or that they cannot return you a sinful rebellious lifestyle?

Upvote 0

willowtrees

Feb 17, 2007
✟10,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes

Titus
3:3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.
3:4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared,
3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I somewhat agree with that, but the question is....Are you saying a true christian will not return to a sinful rebellious lifestyle or that they cannot return you a sinful rebellious lifestyle?
I don't quite get what your asking but let me say this, i am saved yet i fall back into the sins of the flesh from time to time and this pains me and i am offended by it as i know my LORD is offended by it, but as we read about trials and temptations like in James 1 we realise the LORD allows trials to strengthen our faith, HE doesn't tempt us but He allows us to be tempted...Again to strengthen the faith of those who are HIS and to bring Glory to Himself. It's why the model of prayer is to not be lead into temptation HE wants our complete servitude and reliance on HIM, it is all for HIS glory, and whats best for us.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes

Titus
3:3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.
3:4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared,
3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

This is such a great set of scripture, life changing even to some who hadn't understood in the past.:clap:

Reactions: willowtrees
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

willowtrees

Feb 17, 2007
✟10,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not that we don't sin from time to time, we won't be sinless after we are saved, but we will sin less and less over time.

A Christian wouldn't be in a continuous sinful lifestyle imo, for we are regenerated, we have the Holy Spirit within us.

We obey for it is God that works in us to do so, it is his will, and we do so out of love.

Philippians 2:13
for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

A true born again Christian will not return to the sinled life style. John tells us that those who are truly His do not live in a life of Sin. Those who do were not His to begin with..Will we sin.. Everyday we fall short of the glory of God if not in deed then in thoughts.. Do we live as the world lives and sin continually giving no thought of our sin and trying to justify our sin in someway or another? No because We have Christ in us Who is much greater than he that is in the world.. God is faithful to His people.

Reactions: willowtrees
Upvote 0

willowtrees

Feb 17, 2007
✟10,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A true born again Christian will not return to the sinled life style. John tells us that those who are truly His do not live in a life of Sin. Those who do were not His to begin with..Will we sin.. Everyday we fall short of the glory of God if not in deed then in thoughts.. Do we live as the world lives and sin continually giving no thought of our sin and trying to justify our sin in someway or another? No because We have Christ in us Who is much greater than he that is in the world.. God is faithful to His people.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sins are not counted against mankind. 2 Cor. 5:19

2 Cor. 11:
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Scriptures tell me that IF people are running around condemning other people, PARTICULARLY CHRISTIANS that they are going to be burned alive forever they have probably already been TRANSFORMED.

"They will not listen" to or for ANY reason. And there are MANY reasons not to believe 'them.'

enjoy!

squint

Upvote 0

&Abel

Aug 16, 2008
✟12,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sins are not counted against mankind. 2 Cor. 5:19

2 Cor. 11:
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Scriptures tell me that IF people are running around condemning other people, PARTICULARLY CHRISTIANS that they are going to be burned alive forever they have probably already been TRANSFORMED.

"They will not listen" to or for ANY reason. And there are MANY reasons not to believe 'them.'

enjoy!

squint

Squint how do you view the Apostasy?

when you read the bible you must be thinking "he wasn't kidding when he said few find the path that leads to life, its just me and that other guy"

I mean seriously how many universals are there?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.