Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Video Talk

1 Peter 4:1-2 ESV

“Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God.”

I believe this is speaking about Jesus Christ and his suffering on that cross for our sins. In his death on that cross he became sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). And he put our sin to death with him in order that we might die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness, and that we might walk in obedience to his commands (1 Peter 2:24; Romans 6:1-23; Ephesians 4:17-24; Luke 9:23-26).

So, by God-given faith in Jesus Christ, we are crucified with Christ in death to sin, and we are raised with Christ to walk in newness of life in him, no longer like our old lives, but now in righteousness and holiness, and in obedience to our Lord and to his commands (New Covenant). And now we have been set free from our slavery to sin so that we can now walk as slaves of God and of his righteousness, and no longer for human passions.

1 Peter 4:3 ESV

“For the time that is past suffices for doing what the Gentiles want to do, living in sensuality, passions, drunkenness, orgies, drinking parties, and lawless idolatry.”

Now “Gentiles” is a term that was used to speak of non-Jews, but it was also a term used to refer to non-believers in Jesus Christ, although many Gentiles became believers in Christ. So we can safely substitute this word “Gentiles” for “unbelievers.” But biblically speaking an “unbeliever” is anyone who does not walk in obedience to the Lord and who walks in sin, instead, regardless of what faith they profess with their lips.

So, we, as followers of Jesus, are not to live as though we are unbelievers. We are not to be living in (practicing) sensuality, sinful passions, orgies, drunkenness, drinking parties, and lawless idolatry. And idolatry is the worship of anything or anyone in place of or over and above God. And idolatrous worship is the giving of our passions, hearts, time, affections, devotion, loyalties and obedience to anyone or anything above God.

1 Peter 4:4-5 ESV

“With respect to this they are surprised when you do not join them in the same flood of debauchery, and they malign you; but they will give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.”

Now, when our lives change, and we are crucified with Christ in death to sin, and so we are now living to God and to his righteousness, in obedience to our Lord, the ungodly, including many who profess faith in Jesus Christ, will malign us, and they will mock us, and they will reject and even scorn us and treat us with disdain, and they may even accuse us of wrongdoing when we are following the Lord, and when we are doing what his word teaches.

And this is because many people profess faith in Christ, but they never died with him to sin, and they are not living to him and to his righteousness, for they have bought into a lie which is telling them that they don’t have to repent of their sins, and that they don’t have to obey the Lord, and that no works are required of them (but read Ephesians 2:10). But they will be judged by God according to their works, as we all will be judged by God.

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Caution: This link may contain ads

Praise the “I AM!”

An Original Work / February 24, 2012

Jesus, my Savior, full of compassion,
Glorious in power, mighty in strength;
Gracious Redeemer, mighty deliv’rer,
My heart adores Him. Praise to His name!
Perfect salvation my Lord provided
When He died for my sins on a tree;
Crucified my sins; conquered in vict’ry,
When He arose, so I could be free!

I am so thankful for His forgiveness;
Grateful that He chose to pardon me,
Giving me new life full in His Spirit,
So I can serve Him; His servant be!
Walking in daily fellowship with Him,
Obeying Him whate’er He commands;
Forsaking my sins, living in freedom,
I will endure with Him to the end!