We can't reverse manmade climate change.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Manmade greenhouse gases are going to increase, not decrease. These gases result from manufacturing and commerce, which sustains the economy. While some may reduce consumption most cannot or will not, thus man's contribution to climate change will not decline but likely increase.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

The continuous increase of social security wage will never meet your need.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
it would appear to be that you have only listened to the deniers. Increases in global average temperature fuels weather cycles. It is NOT just that everything gets warmer.

If so, why should one worry about it?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, you did. In the bathplugging TITLE: 'We can't reverse manmade climate change.'

No, you didn't. You said: "While some may reduce consumption most cannot or will not, thus man's contribution to climate change will not decline but likely increase."

Like I said, look at the developed world for what is actually possible concerning GHG emissions and energy use.

What I meant by can't is that man doesn't have it within himself to reverse this problem. That's why it's getting worse, as we speak.

Regarding the developed world, Europe is going backwards, producing more co2. The west is also the pattern for the undeveloped world. They want to be like us, so look for more, not less, ghg in the future.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The energy needs of China and India cannot be fully met by clean energy. China is reducing it's use of coal but still builds new coal plants to replace older ones.

It is impossible to say what we can or can not do in the future. Providing we are still around in few hundred years we should be able to terraform planet or two so I doubt climate change could not be reversed.

The technology is improving fast as is our knowledge of the planetary ecology. Whatever it is going to be fast enough to save majority of the species we have now on the globe is a different thing.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is impossible to say what we can or can not do in the future. Providing we are still around in few hundred years we should be able to terraform planet or two so I doubt climate change could not be reversed.

The technology is improving fast as is our knowledge of the planetary ecology. Whatever it is going to be fast enough to save majority of the species we have now on the globe is a different thing.

Possibly. I'm referring to the near term, the next few decades. Unless there is a massive reduction in population manmade ghg's will certainly continue to increase.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is a quite different proposition from the title of your thread.

My title has a deeper meaning, that should be clear from the main post.

For example why don't we solve the problems of crime, poverty, injustice, racism, etc.

Answer: Because we can't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
My title has a deeper meaning, that should be clear from the main post.

For example why don't we solve the problems of crime, poverty, injustice, racism, etc.

Answer: Because we can't.
Again, we can't completely get rid of those things, but we can significantly improve the situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So will the earth continue to work. Don't worry about a thing.

Oh I'm not worried. I don't "dwell carelessly in the (coastlands)." My city is 860 feet above sea level. :ebil:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So let's just go ahead full throttle and do everything we can to destroy the planet God gave us? Is that what you're suggesting?

I'm suggesting that we should realize our limitations. At a certain maturity level people stop making such a mess. Sadly as a species we haven't reached that level.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course we aren't likely to reverse warming. The usual goal is to limit the increase, so as to cause as little damage to people as possible.

I hate to be a downer but I haven't seen much evidence of this goal. As soon as we address one problem another one pops up to take it's place. For example we successfully develop a drug to address a medical problem, then the patient has to be treated for the side effects (been there, done that). Ironically one of the side effects of blood pressure lowering medication is...high blood pressure. :swoon:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Your impression is unfortunately not what climate science says, Silverback.

Global warming heats up the entire globe and that heat powers a variety of weather from droughts to hurricanes to snowstorms. The predictions are more extreme droughts, hurricanes, etc. Is extreme weather caused by global warming?

Does record snowfall disprove global warming?

An effect of global warming is it weakens the polar vortex, allowing frigid Arctic air to move further south in the Northern hemisphere. This played a role in the recent cold in the central US. How polar vortex blasts are tied to global warming.

What you should believe is what the evidence supports, Silverback. If you do not know the evidence then you should believe in the scientific consensus: The 97% consensus on global warming

I am not a Climatologist, however, I am not ready to surrender my judgement to science. Now, I am not a flat earther, but I do believe in the six day creation described in Genesis.

If you take science at it's word, then the Earth is greater than 4 billion years old. Science also supports 5, or, 6 periods of glaciation, exceeding 10K years, the most recent ending around 10k years ago (that may be off a bit) What caused these periods of warming, and cooling? There was not one drop of man-made C02 emission.

The Ice caps on Mars are also melting, no man-made C02 there either.

The industrial revolution started in 1850, 169 years ago. Do you realize how insignificant that time frame is? compared to the 4 billion years the planet has been around.

Everyone agrees our parents, wives, children, employers, doctors, teachers, clergy, politicians, and judges can, and frequently do lie to us. However, if you mention that maybe scientist lie to us as well then the answer is no, scientist would never, ever lie to us. Think about that, there entire life revolves around the mighty research dollar.

In the end the fraud will be exposed, we all may be gone by then, but the truth will come out. Until then, read the third paragraph of my second post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Oh I'm not worried. I don't "dwell carelessly in the (coastlands)." My city is 860 feet above sea level. :ebil:

Even for those people live in the potentially hazardous coastal area, they still have at least a whole Century of time to deal with it.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Again, we can't completely get rid of those things, but we can significantly improve the situation.

How "significant"? Was ancient crime rate much higher than that we have today? Have we even improve the crime rate through the whole human history?

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I strongly disagree with the OP. Mankind could reverse GW, if we would just all come together and unite against a common enemy. In Christian terms it's called turning from your sins, but so what. Even if you're non-Christian, it's called "Peace".

The NASA space program has a competition out to find an efficient way to convert CO2 to O2.
NASA's New Competition To Convert CO2 To Oxygen
This is for mission to Mars, but space research has ways of being reusable.

Synthetic leaf to produce O2.
Inventor Develops Synthetic 'Leaf' That Produces Oxygen

Australia:
Macquarie University - 100 ways to reverse global warming

We can do this. You capture renewable energy in remote places, where there's lots of wind, lots of sun, lots of tidal energy, but where it is hard to transfer that energy to the grid. So don't: use it to convert CO2 to O2 on the spot instead.

But where is the resolve? That could take a trillion dollars, and meanwhile there are people who think it's stupid.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I strongly disagree with the OP. Mankind could reverse GW, if we would just all come together and unite against a common enemy.

Until mankind comes together you have little choice than to agree with me. That if is a very big if.

Upvote 0