We can't reverse manmade climate change.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Manmade greenhouse gases are going to increase, not decrease. These gases result from manufacturing and commerce, which sustains the economy. While some may reduce consumption most cannot or will not, thus man's contribution to climate change will not decline but likely increase.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Manmade greenhouse gases are going to increase, not decrease. These gases result from manufacturing and commerce, which sustains the economy. While some may reduce consumption most cannot or will not, thus man's contribution to climate change will not decline but likely increase.

My current car goes twice as far per gallon of gas as my first car. My LED lightbulbs use one twentieth of the electricity per lumen of light delivered. My computer uses a third of the electricity as my first one did, and it's quieter. Things are much better than they were, and will become better than they are. Mostly because those in the third world, when their standards rise, will be using more efficient equipment than we had twenty years ago.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I'm skeptical about it, I lean to not drinking the Koolaid

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm skeptical about it, I lean to not drinking the Koolaid
The rise in carbon dioxide levels measured at Mauna Loa from 1959 to the present have gone up from 315.98 ppm to 385.34 ppm in 2008 and are now above 411.75 ppm as of February.

You can see the graph here: ESRL Global Monitoring Division - Global Greenhouse Gas Reference Network

You can drink or not drink Koolaid but the CO2 levels have increased dramatically, and every year since 1959. They sample at Mauna Loa in the same method they used since 1959 and it is a real thing they see there.

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

This is why I'm planning to invest in northern Canadian real estate. That's going be some primo property in a few decades.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
This is obviously wrong, OldWiseGuy. The greenhouse gas primarily responsible for global warming is CO2. There are existing technologies that reduce our emissions of CO2 and are being increasingly used. For example
  • Electric vehicles.
  • Solar power.
  • Wind power.
  • Hydroelectric power.
This new manufacturing and commerce more than sustains the economy - it makes it better! Cheaper transport generally leads to a better economy.

Manmade greenhouse gas emissions will eventually decrease.
Renewables can reduce CO2 emissions by 70% by 2050 (about the energy sector)
Some countries have already decreased their CO2 emissions.
Analysis: Why the UK’s CO2 emissions have fallen 38% since 1990.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The rise in carbon dioxide levels measured at Mauna Loa from 1959 to the present have gone up from 315.98 ppm to 385.34 ppm in 2008 and are now above 411.75 ppm as of February.

You can see the graph here: ESRL Global Monitoring Division - Global Greenhouse Gas Reference Network

You can drink or not drink Koolaid but the CO2 levels have increased dramatically, and every year since 1959. They sample at Mauna Loa in the same method they used since 1959 and it is a real thing they see there.

The climate has changed, the winters are not as severe back home in Michigan as they were in the 60's and 70's when I was growing up.

I don't believe it's man-made though, I have several reasons for my belief, I will spare you most of that.

I happen to like clean air, water, and soil, so I support most climate change proposals, because they are non polluting, and energy is a national security issue and that's important to me.

The man-made part of it has become to sensational, and when things become to sensational, it usually turns out to be Bologna.

To hot, global warming
To cold, global warming

No snow, global warming
Blizzards, global warming

Too much rain, global warming
Drought, global warming

Cat 5 storms, global warming
No cat 5 storms global warming

Everything is global warming, and it's to the point of ridiculousness.

So, I am skeptical, but lean against the theory.

Additionally, look at the people who support man-made global warming in DC, AOC, Omar, Sanders, Warren, and most of all Hillary Clinton. With these names in support, it drives me even farther away.I

You can believe what you like though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
The climate has changed, the winters are not as severe back home in Michigan as they were in the 60's and 70's when I was growing up.
Your impression is unfortunately not what climate science says, Silverback.

Global warming heats up the entire globe and that heat powers a variety of weather from droughts to hurricanes to snowstorms. The predictions are more extreme droughts, hurricanes, etc. Is extreme weather caused by global warming?
There is growing empirical evidence that warming temperatures cause more intense hurricanes, heavier rainfalls and flooding, increased conditions for wildfires and dangerous heat waves.
Does record snowfall disprove global warming?
Far from contradicting global warming, record snowfall is predicted by climate models and consistent with our expectation of more extreme precipitation events.

An effect of global warming is it weakens the polar vortex, allowing frigid Arctic air to move further south in the Northern hemisphere. This played a role in the recent cold in the central US. How polar vortex blasts are tied to global warming.

What you should believe is what the evidence supports, Silverback. If you do not know the evidence then you should believe in the scientific consensus: The 97% consensus on global warming
Surveys of the peer-reviewed scientific literature and the opinions of experts consistently show a 97–98% consensus that humans are causing global warming.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I don't believe it's man-made though, I have several reasons for my belief, I will spare you most of that.

I happen to like clean air, water, and soil, so I support most climate change proposals, because they are non polluting, and energy is a national security issue and that's important to me.

The man-made part of it has become to sensational, and when things become to sensational, it usually turns out to be Bologna.

To hot, global warming
To cold, global warming

No snow, global warming

Drought, global warming

So, I am skeptical, but lean against the theory.

Additionally, look at the people who support man-made global warming in DC, AOC, Omar, Sanders, Warren, and most of all Hillary Clinton. With these names in support, it drives me even farther away.I

You can believe what you like though.
Notice that I did not pontificate at all on man made global warming. Just measurable CO2 increases as measured at Mauna Loa since 1959. That is real no matter who blames who. And since it is basically chemistry, it doesn't matter much how we interpret what happens because chemistry doesn't care what we or AOC think.

• Agree
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My current car goes twice as far per gallon of gas as my first car. My LED lightbulbs use one twentieth of the electricity per lumen of light delivered. My computer uses a third of the electricity as my first one did, and it's quieter. Things are much better than they were, and will become better than they are. Mostly because those in the third world, when their standards rise, will be using more efficient equipment than we had twenty years ago.
Yes that is true but we are demanding more electricity than ever before.

Nearly everyone has air conditioning, all have television and pool pumps. Computers, microwaves, ovens, e.t.c. We consume far more electricity than we did forty years ago.

Double the world population.

Add another fifty countries that now consume electricity on an increasing scale.

Greenhouse gases are increasing not decreasing.

Climate change will accelerate.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes that is true but we are demanding more electricity than ever before.

Nearly everyone has air conditioning, all have television and pool pumps. Computers, microwaves, ovens, e.t.c. We consume far more electricity than we did forty years ago.

Double the world population.

Add another fifty countries that now consume electricity on an increasing scale.

Greenhouse gases are increasing not decreasing.

Climate change will accelerate.
My air conditioner has a higher SEER number and uses less electricity than the older air conditioner did. The new house is better insulated as well. A microwave uses less electricity than an electric stove or oven. I don't have a pool, so no rich person pool pump. A quarter of the electricity in my state is already renewable. I use far less electricity than I did. Less natural gas too. Less gasoline than my old belchfire V8.

US electrical consumption has been flat since 2007. Global use of electricity is up but per capita usage is down in the USA and the trend is down in all of the developed world. We will not see the per capita electrical use we in the USA had in the 1980's again on this planet. Lights and everything electric or electronic are far more efficient than they were, and there is no going back to less efficiency there. Nowhere in the world.

And the world population will not double. I doubt we will make it to ten billion people. There are 7.6 billion people now, and a realistic plateau for population is about 9.5 billion.

If we Americans and Europeans can follow what Amory Lovins called a 'Soft Energy Path' and the Chinese can make the leap to solar and wind power, as they are trying to do, the doom and gloom scenario can be put to rest. We don't need anything so draconian as AOC has dreamed up for us.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

You really don't investigate a topic at all before posting about it, do you?

Take a look at OECD emissions in 2017 and then tell me that GHG emissions can't be reduced.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My air conditioner has a higher SEER number and uses less electricity than the older air conditioner did. The new house is better insulated as well. A microwave uses less electricity than an electric stove or oven. I don't have a pool, so no rich person pool pump. A quarter of the electricity in my state is already renewable. I use far less electricity than I did. Less natural gas too. Less gasoline than my old belchfire V8.

US electrical consumption has been flat since 2007. Global use of electricity is up but per capita usage is down in the USA and the trend is down in all of the developed world. We will not see the per capita electrical use we in the USA had in the 1980's again on this planet. Lights and everything electric or electronic are far more efficient than they were, and there is no going back to less efficiency there. Nowhere in the world.

And the world population will not double. I doubt we will make it to ten billion people. There are 7.6 billion people now, and a realistic plateau for population is about 9.5 billion.

If we Americans and Europeans can follow what Amory Lovins called a 'Soft Energy Path' and the Chinese can make the leap to solar and wind power, as they are trying to do, the doom and gloom scenario can be put to rest. We don't need anything so draconian as AOC has dreamed up for us.
I don't know where you sourced your information from but it appears to be wildly incorrect.

World Energy Consumption

According to IEA data from 1990 to 2008, the average energy use per person increased 10% while world population increased 27%. Regional energy use also grew from 1990 to 2008: the Middle East increased by 170%, China by 146%, India by 91%, Africa by 70%, Latin America by 66%, the USA by 20%, the EU-27 block by 7%, and world overall grew by 39%.
(wikipidea.org)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is obviously wrong, OldWiseGuy. The greenhouse gas primarily responsible for global warming is CO2. There are existing technologies that reduce our emissions of CO2 and are being increasingly used. For example
  • Electric vehicles.
  • Solar power.
  • Wind power.
  • Hydroelectric power.
This new manufacturing and commerce more than sustains the economy - it makes it better! Cheaper transport generally leads to a better economy.

Manmade greenhouse gas emissions will eventually decrease.
Renewables can reduce CO2 emissions by 70% by 2050 (about the energy sector)
Some countries have already decreased their CO2 emissions.
Analysis: Why the UK’s CO2 emissions have fallen 38% since 1990.

Every one step forward by the developed world is met by two steps backward by the developing world. Sadly even Europe is going backward. The energy needs of China and India cannot be fully met by clean energy. China is reducing it's use of coal but still builds new coal plants to replace older ones.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I didn't say we can't.

Yes, you did. In the bathplugging TITLE: 'We can't reverse manmade climate change.'

I said we won't. (We, the global community as a whole.)

No, you didn't. You said: "While some may reduce consumption most cannot or will not, thus man's contribution to climate change will not decline but likely increase."

Like I said, look at the developed world for what is actually possible concerning GHG emissions and energy use.

Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
To hot, global warming
To cold, global warming

No snow, global warming

Drought, global warming

it would appear to be that you have only listened to the deniers. Increases in global average temperature fuels weather cycles. It is NOT just that everything gets warmer.

• Agree
Upvote 0