• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

We Came Close Two Weeks Ago

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by mark46, Jan 20, 2021.

1. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,842
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Pence was within a couple minutes and a few hundred feet of getting killed. Also, many civil servants could died. THEN, the president might have called in the guard, the military and declared martial law. And then? And then?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+7,139
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It does seem as if such things could be imagined. But...people did pray for the nation and its government, with faith. Consider how easy it would have been to have a much bigger shootout. Yet the police seemed to have amazing good effort beyond what seems natural.... and instead of 12 or 45 dead, there was no fire fight.

The real spirit behind the assault on Congress was thus very clearly highlighted, undeniable.

The attack was undone, and it seems the culprits are many being caught.

3. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+5,821
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    We definitely don't want to take this moment for granted. I'm thinking we need to severely limit the Executive Branch. I'm uncomfortable with wanna be tyrants. I'm not even sure we need a President. I understand having a unified head in times of emergency. Except that didn't work, so...

4. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,832
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    So the sky didn't fall this week as the media would have us believe it would and the crickets enjoyed a spacious day in DC in the silence. Yet a couple of despondent female senior citizens partying like it is still 2016, are still harping on in a podcast about what was proven false, created no less by one of the bitter bids; while the rest of their side in this foolish game have lost their favourite whipping boy and have no recourse but to relive the last four years every day instead of progressing.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  5. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,414
    Agnostic
    Single
    The system isn't so much broken other than there was an entire political party ready and willing to aid the president in whatever he wanted to do.

A long as those same people and their like are in power, no system will ultimately be safe.

6. public hermit

+5,821
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others

Limit the power of the President, limit the party. We should tighten the restraints on Executive Orders. We don't need two legislative branches, much less one whose power is party dependent.

7. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,414
    Agnostic
    Single
    We need at least one legislative branch, and the executive order has been adopted because congress has for the most part abdicated the responsibility of legislation.

The same people that made regular legislative action impossible, also spent their entire time enabling a presidents whims.

These people need to go, and there will be no fixing anything until that happens.

8. public hermit

+5,821
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    That's true. Congress has been in gridlock since the Tea Party days. Lol.

9. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,414
    Agnostic
    Single
    It's been in a downward trend for longer than I have been alive.

10. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+6,005
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yeah I’ve always thought the Presidential office unnecessary, except to appease our small-minded desire for a “king.” But not sure were evolved enough to go without one person at the “top.”

11. timothyu

+4,832
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    The movements of last summer claimed to do just that. Didn't work out so well.

12. public hermit

+5,821
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    It does feel like a hangover from a long past lust for monarchy. Blah.

13. timothyu

+4,832
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Leaders take many forms, but it is only power wearing a disguise.

14. Sparagmos

+6,005
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That’s a pretty extreme comparison. I’m not proposing a leaderless government, just the elimination of the office of the presidency.

15. Sparagmos

+6,005
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well put!

16. timothyu

+4,832
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    And enable the old corporate ladder slaughter of those struggling to gain power? I think an elected rep leader is a better plan as the position is not open to debate, although I suppose the corporate ladder route might cull some of the undesirables from the herd.

17. SoldierOfTheKing

SoldierOfTheKing Christian Spenglerian

+2,723
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Nobody would have died at all if the police hadn't been trigger happy...

18. Sparagmos

+6,005
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

I’m not proposing that we get rid of any elected rep other than the president. I’m not even proposing eliminating the executive branch, just the office of the president. A slate of five people each with particular focuses could do the job. If, as I said, were evolved enough to pull it off. Not sure of that.

19. timothyu

+4,832
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Wouldn't that just further the notion of doing something similar to packing the court or packing that States let alone the struggle of the five each without a tie breaker??

20. Sparagmos

+6,005
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    How do you get a tie with five people?

if you can’t “pack” the presidency or the senate, why do you think we’d be able to “pack” a five person office? And I said a slate, which means they are all from one party. Not that I’m opposed to something different.