We Came Close Two Weeks Ago

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pence was within a couple minutes and a few hundred feet of getting killed. Also, many civil servants could died. THEN, the president might have called in the guard, the military and declared martial law. And then? And then?
Yes. Hopefully this never happens again . We need stricter standers of president nominees. Trump should have never been a thought of becoming a president .And worse becoming our president. Hopefully some day Trumps brainwashing will go away. And people will wakeup.

• Agree
Reactions: GreekOrthodox
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And people will wakeup.
Doubt it. They don't even see corporations now run the governments. The masses have never been meant to be awake. Their role is to dutifully follow like good little sheep.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The issue isn't that you have a president, the issue is that you have an imperial presidency where far, far too much power is concentrated in that single office. The founders deliberately set quite a lot of limits on that office yet over the years they've been continually watered down. The Cold War fears also pushed additional powers onto the president via the idea that there could be no time for getting congress together before responding to aggression. It's all extremely dangerous, and should be changed immediately.

Beyond simply powers, the whole attitude towards the president is badly broken. We've spent the last 4 years realizing that the president is basically above the law while in office, as long as his own party holds the senate and backs him. Think about that for a moment, the man at the very top is above the law. He can do pretty much anything he pleases with absolutely no way to prevent him from doing so. How can that possibly be healthy for a democracy?

Oh and lets not forget the pardon power. Absolute, unrestrained freedom to wipe away the crimes of anyone charged with federal crimes, regardless of whether its blatant and open corruption or not. Trump isn't the first to abuse that by far.

You can have a president without having a king. But it requires a real sea change in how you think about government. Treating a president like he's anointed by god just means you hand sickening amounts of power to a human being with all the flaws and weaknesses that all humans have.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nobody would have died at all if the police hadn't been trigger happy...
Trigger happy? They were about to storm into the chamber with the VP and congressmen present. The police and USSS were remarkably restrained. One shot was fired and it stopped the who thing when the traitors realized this wasn't a movie and that they could end up in a casket quite easily.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Hopefully this never happens again . We need stricter standers of president nominees. Trump should have never been a thought of becoming a president .And worse becoming our president. Hopefully some day Trumps brainwashing will go away. And people will wakeup.

My own personal standard is that someone standing for the presidency should have served as a state governor or in the Senate and hopefully at least once as a cabinet member of another administrator. Hopefully someone who has served in the military even if it was a single tour, but not required (for me at least). That way they have a fuller understanding of the position. Trump was the ONLY president never to have served in the military or in the government prior to the presidency. God willing, never again.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nobody would have died at all if the police hadn't been trigger happy...

I see we're just ignoring the murder of a police officer now to try and normalize what Donald's rioters did. Your work towards that goal is noted.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that January 6th was a law enforcement issue. The power of the presidency was balanced by the courts and by the legislators in the states (and would have been balanced by the federal legislature; if the House decided, it still would have been the legislature). However, on January 6th, law enforcement at the capitol stood down.

The security of the White House needs by under the military, to give it some independence from the White House.

In the next four years, the DOJ and the Congress needs to deal with domestic terrorism. Little was done under Bush, since he was focused on foreign terrorism. Little was done under Obama. Under Trump, the White House was supported by the domestic terrorists. At very least, domestic terrorism should be against the law, and the DOJ should put many of it leaders in jail.

To be clear, our law enforcement groups can indeed work effectively as they did in reducing the power and numbers of the Klan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
THEN, the president might have called in the guard, the military and declared martial law. And then? And then?

The military chiefs have been good about stating they are not the arbiters of who sits in the White House. So we would have had an additional tear-jerker section in the Biden inauguration speech as he praised Mike Pence's memory as a martyr to the lies that have poisoned the nation.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trigger happy? They were about to storm into the chamber with the VP and congressmen present. The police and USSS were remarkably restrained.
I agree. In fact neither side appears to have arrived desiring to shoot anyone or there would have been a lot more bullets exchanged.

A few of those protestors had scary bad intentions (man with zip ties) but most were acting more like idiots on holiday (Now we are inside, what should we do? Let's get a picture with the statue!)

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At very least, domestic terrorism should be against the law, and the DOJ should put many of it leaders in jail.
Terrorism IS against the law (domestic or foreign). Try flying a plane into a building or placing a bomb somewhere and see how the police react. THOUGHTS should not be a crime.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see we're just ignoring the murder of a police officer now
Do you mean the one whose family claims died of a stroke?
There is some conflicting evidence on a lot of the details about his death, so I will wait until after the facts are known.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Terrorism IS against the law (domestic or foreign). Try flying a plane into a building or placing a bomb somewhere and see how the police react. THOUGHTS should not be a crime.

There is law against foreign terrorism, so that actions will violate both regular and this special statute.

Should the punishment invasion of the capitol really be limited to local statute, while ignoring the terrorism? Intent does matter. Conspiracy does matter. Law enforcement believes that the foreign terrorism statutes helped in the aftermath of 911. They now should have the additional tool to fight the current threat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
There is some conflicting evidence on a lot of the details about his death, so I will wait until after the facts are known.

I'd like to point that dying from a stroke that was caused by being clobbered in the head by a fire extinguisher still counts as being murdered.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I certainly will wait. I trust the DOJ and other law enforcement agencies to investigate and prosecute the many hundreds who violated the law, and who consprired.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I see we're just ignoring the murder of a police officer now to try and normalize what Donald's rioters did. Your work towards that goal is noted.

I'm not ignoring that at all. The bullet that killed Ashli Babbitt didn't just kill her. Deadly force begets more deadly force. Police officers, of all people, ought to know that.

Trigger happy? They were about to storm into the chamber with the VP and congressmen present. The police and USSS were remarkably restrained. One shot was fired and it stopped the who thing when the traitors realized this wasn't a movie and that they could end up in a casket quite easily.

The protestors fired no shots at all, which presumably would make them even more restrained...

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to point that dying from a stroke that was caused by being clobbered in the head by a fire extinguisher still counts as being murdered.
  1. If he was clubbed with a fire extinguisher (some reports challenge that).
  2. and IF the beating was the cause of the stroke.
Don't get me wrong, attacking the police was wrong and those responsible MUST be prosecuted for their crimes. I just find too many "rumors" to state with certainty exactly what the facts in this case are. What I know:
  • he fought with protesters
  • he returned to the station
  • he died
What I have HEARD:
  • his family claims it was a stroke.
  • some claim he was hit with a fire extinguisher
  • some claim the fire extinguisher story was proven false.
So I am just waiting for a more official announcement on the cause of death or clearer images of exactly what happened before I will commit to a narrative of events beyond: one officer clashed with protestors and died; two protestors died of natural causes unrelated to the Capitol Building; one protestor was crushed between the police and the crowd; one protestor was shot by the police while climbing through a window. Those are the facts that I know for sure.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not ignoring that at all. The bullet that killed Ashli Babbitt didn't just kill her. Deadly force begets more deadly force. Police officers, of all people, ought to know that.

The protestors fired no shots at all, which presumably would make them even more restrained...

And yet they killed more people than the police did.

Upvote 0