Do you believe we are under the old testament law or the new convenant?

• Old Testament Law

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
God had many purpose for giving the Law, but providing a means of becoming saved was never one of them, and while I have see a number of people on this forum who believe that we are required to obey the Law, not one of us believes that we need to obey it in order to become saved. Rather, the Law is God's instructs for how we should live because we have been saved. Our salvation is from sin and sin is defined as the transgression of the Law, so our salvation necessarily involves being freed from our penalty for transgressing the Law, and being trained by grace through faith to stop sinning and start doing good works, both of which are what Christ gave himself to accomplish (Titus 2:11-14). So this training we are receiving to stop sinning is what our salvation from sin looks like, not what we need to obey in order to become saved. However, I have met many people on this forum who mistakenly think that the Law was given to provide a means of salvation through perfect obedience, and not one of these people think that the Law should be obeyed.

In Romans 7:21-25, Paul said that he delighted in obeying God's Law and that he served it with his mind, but contrasted that we the law of sin that held him captive that he served with his flesh, which is a summary statement of what he said previously. So it is the law of sin that came about to increase tresspasses (5:20), that stirs up sin to bear fruit unto death (7:5), that held Paul captive (7:6), that gives sin its power (7:8), that deceived Paul through the commandment and slayed him (7:11), and that caused him not to do the good that he wanted to do (7:13-20), while God's Law is not sin, but reveals what sin is (7:7), is holy, righteous, and good (7:12), is the good that Paul did not blame for bringing death to him (7:13), and that is the good that he wanted to (7:13-20).

Romans 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

So we need to ask ourselves whether this verse is speaking about us not being under the law of sin or God's Law. Paul specified that it was a law where sin had dominion over us, which does not fit at all with Paul's description of God's Law, which he explicitly said was not sin, but rather it fits perfectly with his description of the law of sin. Furthermore, it wouldn't make any sense to interpret this verse as saying that we are not under God's Law, but then say in 6:15 that being under grace means that we are required to refrain from everything that God's Law revealed to be sin. In addition all of the surrounding context of 6:12-19 supports obedience to God's Law is not presenting ourselves is instruments of sin, but as instruments of righteousness.

Agreed. If I were to give you something, then it would be an unmerited favor, but the content of what I gave you would not itself be unmerited favor. I've also seen "grace" defined as "the power of God to overcome sin in our lives".

Please clarify your distinction between nullifying the Law, but not doing away with it. The Law was given to instruct us how to walk in God's ways, so if the Law has been nullified, then God's ways have been nullified. In other words, if the way to act in accordance with God's righteousness has changed, then God's righteousness has first changes, but God's righteousness is eternal and doesn't change (Psalms 119:142), so neither does God's instructs for how to act in accordance with His righteousness (Psalms 119:160). In Titus 2:11-14, it doesn't say that Christ gave himself to free us from the Law, but to free us from all Lawlessness, which is so that we will be free to obey it in accordance with the example that he set for his followers to follow. It doesn't make any sense for you to say that we are called to be like Christ while rejecting the example that he set of obedience to the Law.

Have no more need of a tutor is not at all the same as having no more need for what they taught you. Disregarding everything that the tutor taught you after they left would be completely missing the whole point. When a student learns everything their 1st-grade teacher taught them and moves on to the 2nd grade, their new teacher doesn't tell them to forget everything they learned in 1st grade, but rather they built upon what they were previously taught. Now that Christ has come, we have a superior teacher by word and by example, but the subject matter is still how to walk in God's ways. Furthermore, the Spirit also has the role of leading us in obedience to God's Law (Ezekiel 36:26-27). The Law brings us to Christ because it is all about him and how to have a relationship with him.

Whenever Jesus quoted Scripture, he proceed it by saying "it is written", but when he was quoting from what the people had heard by taught by the teachers of the Law, he proceeded it by saying "you have heard that it was said. So in Matthew 5, Jesus was not teaching anything that was brand new, but rather he was fulfilling the Law by correcting what was incorrectly being taught about it. In Leviticus 19:17, we are commanded not to hate our brother, so Jesus violating Deuteronomy 4:2, but was simply teaching on what was already commanded. In any case, if we are required to live at a higher standard, then that is necessarily inclusive of meeting a lower standard, so we would still be required to obey the Law.

While we should certainly seek to love our neighbor perfectly in accordance with Messiah's example, this verse does not say that we only fulfill the Law if we are able to obey it perfectly. It is true that we become a Lawbreaker when we break any part of the Law, but the consequence of that is not that we won't be justified, but that we need to repent and turn back to obedience. In James 2:1-10, he was encouraging them to do a better job of obeying law more consistently by not showing favoritism, so it would already be too late for them to have perfect obedience, and that is not the issue.

Have a good day. I like written communication because it gives me time think about what I want to say and how I want to say it without having to worry about being interrupted, but I do agree that sitting and talking also has its advantages, and I also agree that we have a number of important things in common.
I'm sure you've worked through the scriptures I'm going to share, through your paradigm of thinking, but they too are part of the reason for me saying what I say. I am admittedly Charismatic and do put more weight on the 'life' of the 'Spirit code' than I think a fundamentalist normally would. And I also think that having the spirit of Christ in me also helps with my walk in the absence of scripture or the law. I'm not discounting scripture as worthless or anything like that. I love the bible and hopefully it is obvious I do study it., which I believe also leads me into a knowledge of 'the truth' aside from scripture.

I am of the persuasion that the 'old written code' is the 'law' we're discharged from.

Romans 7:6 But now we are discharged from the law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.

2CO 3:6 who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not in a written code but in the Spirit; for the written code kills, but the Spirit gives life.
7 Now if the dispensation of death, carved in letters on stone,

Hebrews 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Be blessed, and when we get to glory I'm not going to be surprised at how wrong we both might be.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure you've worked through the scriptures I'm going to share, through your paradigm of thinking, but they too are part of the reason for me saying what I say. I am admittedly Charismatic and do put more weight on the 'life' of the 'Spirit code' than I think a fundamentalist normally would. And I also think that having the spirit of Christ in me also helps with my walk in the absence of scripture or the law. I'm not discounting scripture as worthless or anything like that. I love the bible and hopefully it is obvious I do study it., which I believe also leads me into a knowledge of 'the truth' aside from scripture.

Do you think that the Spirit is in disagreement with the Father about what conduct we should have or that the Spirit will ever lead us to do anything other than what the Father has commanded? If not, then it seems to me that if we want to see where the Spirit will lead us, then we can look at all that the Father has commanded, starting in the Mosaic Law, though the Spirit will certainly help us to obey it. There is a reason why all of the fruits of the Spirit are in accordance with the Law, while all of the works of the flesh that are against the Spirit are also against the Law.

I am of the persuasion that the 'old written code' is the 'law' we're discharged from.

Romans 7:6 But now we are discharged from the law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.

I agree that we are discharged from the law, but there are three different categories of law talked about in Romans 7, so it is important to correctly determine which law we are discharged from. In Romans 7:23, Paul described the law of sin as a law as being one that held him captive in contrast with God's Law and in Romans 7:6, Paul described the law that we are discharged from as one that held us captive, so it makes sense to interpret this verse as us being discharged from the law of sin. Again, we need to keep in mind that Paul said that he delighted in obeying God's Law, which is a sentiment that is repeated many times throughout the Psalms along with extremely high regard throughout the OT, so there is that the Law that God said was commanded for our own good to bless us is something that is so horrible that He had to send His son to die on the cross in order to free us from having to obey it.

The distinction between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law is reflected in modern discussions about law enforcement and is not in regard to whether the law should be obeyed, but in the manner in which people obey the law with respect to its intention. For example:

Leviticus 19:12 You shall not swear by my name falsely, and so profane the name of your God: I am the LORD.

Someone who is focused on obeying the spirit of the law will understand this as commanding us not to swear falsely, but someone who is focused on obeying the letter of the law will understand this as saying that we are free to swear falsely just as long as we don't do so in God's name. However, someone who was outwardly obeying this law in the correct manner might still not be obeying it according to its intention of teaching us how to walk in God ways in accordance with His attributes: holiness, righteousness, goodness (Romans 7:12), justice, mercy, faith (Matthew 23:23), love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, and self control (Exodus 34:6-7, Galatians 5:22-23). Obedience to God has always been about growing in a relationship with Him based on faith and love and God has always disdained it when His people outwardly obeyed Him while their hearts were far from him, because that would be missing the whole point of God's commands. Paul counted obedience to the Law without being focused on growing in a relationship with Christ to be rubbish because again he was missing the whole point (Philippians 3:8). Obeying the Law only according to the letter leads to death just as assuredly as disobeying the Law, which is why we need to obey the Law according to the spirit.

who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not in a written code but in the Spirit; for the written code kills, but the Spirit gives life.
7 Now if the dispensation of death, carved in letters on stone,

In Deuteronomy 30:15-20, the Bible is up front that obedience to the Law brings life and a blessing, while disobedience brings death and a curse, so that fact that the Law brings death for disobedience hardly a good reason for someone to choose to disobey it.

Hebrews 8:13 In that he saith,
A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

I agree that we are under a New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, however, we are still under the same God with the same ways. For example, God's righteousness is eternal, so there existed a way to walk in accordance with God's righteousness before He made any covenants with man, which is therefore not dependant on any covenant, though it has been revealed through them. So there is a distinction between a set of instructions for how to walk in God's ways and a covenant agreement to walk in those ways, where a covenant agreement can come and go, but God's ways are eternal and unchanging. So if anyone wants to look up how to practice righteousness, then they can do so by looking up God's instructions for that as revealed in His Law regardless of which covenant they are under, but as part of the New Covenant, we are still told to practice righteousness (1 John 3:10, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Be blessed, and when we get to glory I'm not going to be surprised at how wrong we both might be.

And you be blessed as well. I'm sure we're all going to find out things that we were wrong about, so it is a good thing that having 100% correct theology isn't a requirement, but we must nevertheless endeavor to seek out and correct those things that we are wrong about. I grew up as a Baptist, so I held a mainstream view of God's Law for most of my life, but that is one of the things that I discovered that I was wrong about was the negative view of God's Law that I had been taught. That was triggered in part by reading Psalms 119 and realizing that if I considered it to be Scripture, God-breathed, and true, then it expresses a correct understand of God's Law, which did not match the understanding that I had been taught, so my understanding needed to change to match Scripture. In Isaiah 58:13, God wanted His people to delight in His Sabbath, so God wants us to delight in His instruction, and that is the correct response to it.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Summary of the "gospel"?:

Jesus the Christ, the God-Man, Son of God, Son of Man, THE Divine Messiah, TRUE Man, TRUE God, (many names/titles) etc...
has come down / was sent down from the heavenly realms to earth to SAVE Man from eternal spiritual death (separation from God).

GOOD NEWS! GLAD TIDINGS!

"the gospel" >used only in the NT!<...Greek 2098...euaggelion...
as the Messianic rank of Jesus was proved by his words, his deeds, and his death,
the narrative of the sayings, deeds, death, and resurrection of Jesus the Christ
came to be called the "gospel" or "glad tidings".

Mark 1:14-15 (NASB)...Jesus Preaches in Galilee
Now after John (the Baptizer) had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the "gospel of God",and saying,
“The time (prophecy) is fulfilled, and
the "kingdom of God" (Jesus) is AT HAND; (Jesus the Divine Messaiah has COME!)
Repent (turn to God) AND BELIEVE in the (this?) "gospel".”

Jesus was the personification of the "Kingdom of God".

Luke 17:21...nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’
For behold, the "kingdom of God" is (standing) in your midst.”

GOSPEL of the KINGDOM / GOSPEL of GOD

Matthew 4:23 (NASB) (see also Matthew 9:15; Matthew 24:14)
... [ Ministry in Galilee /synagogues + Prophecy of the end of the ages]
Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and
proclaiming "the gospel of the kingdom", and
healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Ephesians 1:13..In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth,
the gospel of your salvation — having also believed,
you were sealed in Him with (God) the Holy Spirit of promise,

1 Timothy 1:11...according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.

Upvote 0