We are in the newspaper....about Orthodoxy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nichole

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2007
✟23,232.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
An article was done on the Orthodox faith in our local newspaper. A few pictures from our church are in it, as well as 2 of us. The last picture in row 2 you can see the backside of us, and then the last picture of all of them (row 3) is of us (John and Jolene). We were also interviewed for the article. Just wanted to share with everyone here! :)

http://savannahnow.com/node/571871

Last edited:
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Overall, a positive article!

A few criticisms, though:

Where Orthodoxy once required that worshippers stand throughout the service, most U.S. churches allow followers to sit in pews.
Chatham County Commission Chairman and lifelong Orthodox Pete Liakakis recalls when women were required to wear a hat or head covering to church.
"Then about 25 years ago, women stopped. Very seldom do you see a female wearing a hat anymore," he said. "I think the females in our community saw how other people were (dressed) at church."

This is a) untrue as a general Orthodox trend and b) gives the impression that Orthodox are becoming wiser and more modern like most other people in getting rid of those unnecessary and pesky traditions.

"You feel like you're in the presence of something."
Not very inspiring...

Can't say I'm thrilled about their putting in the section teachings on what we believe when we die, either. Not all of that is dogma and there is much that we don't know, plus, it is not salvific, so why are they making it an important thing to know about Orthodoxy?

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Overall, a positive article!

A few criticisms, though:

This is a) untrue as a general Orthodox trend and b) gives the impression that Orthodox are becoming wiser and more modern like most other people in getting rid of those unnecessary and pesky traditions.

Not very inspiring...

Can't say I'm thrilled about their putting in the section teachings on what we believe when we die, either. Not all of that is dogma and there is much that we don't know, plus, it is not salvific, so why are they making it an important thing to know about Orthodoxy?

Of course not very inspiring, unless I am ignorant enough on my faith to utter such thing without further expounding on it. It is essentially a misquote, a deliberate misrepresentation, or a distortion to conform to the standards of acceptability in the protestant circles, we have no idea what Dana Clark Felty believes God and Salvation to be. I was actually half-asleep in bed when Nichole was reading that article to me, I was wide awake when she read that "something" part. I am assuming I said something with an explaining that adds meaning, substance, and distinguishes it from an ordinary "something", like Something greater, something mightier, something spiritual... Though a "pentecostal" who ends up reading this, what would s/he think? You should ask Fr. Vasile how he felt when he told the journalist that it was "the Fathers of the Church" not heads of the Church. Please feel free to contact her about her mistakes. Maybe she would post corrections next week!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

Not very inspiring...

Not to mention the part where they said Orthodox were encouraged to pray twice a day. I thought we were supposed to PRAY WITHOUT CEASING. We are supposed to begin and end everything - meals, work, other tasks - with prayer, and pray while we are doing it if we can.

Since when do churches "require" you to stand? Even old school monasteries in the boondocks of Greece and Russia have benches where infirm people can sit.

Anyway, someone forgot to give me the "memo" about females not covering heads. Guess I didn't know we were "liberated" from the oppressive piece of fabric now.

Upvote 0

cassc

Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian
Jan 24, 2007
New England
✟16,923.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
While there were some generalizations (there are few small things that haven't been mentioned that I personally didn't like) the point is that it is an overall positive article that offers a fair representation of our churches. If we are going to remove the "hidden gem" from Orthodoxy in America it is important that news papers cover our Churches...

Upvote 0

Nichole

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2007
✟23,232.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
While there were some generalizations (there are few small things that haven't been mentioned that I personally didn't like) the point is that it is an overall positive article that offers a fair representation of our churches. If we are going to remove the "hidden gem" from Orthodoxy in America it is important that news papers cover our Churches...

Thank you! ;) :D

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Philoptochos had organized a fundraiser "food and wine" festival that day the article was published. Well, at least one stranger came up and said "Thank you!" I told him to "come and see" when he has time. Fr. Vasile had Church tours and a few people seemed quite interested.

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Personally I thought it was a positive and enthusiastic article, especially since it features an Apostolic parish (and a beautiful one at that) in the center of the evangelical bible belt. While the article features John and Nichole, I must confess that all of the pictures featured tell more of a story than the article attempted to portray.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.