✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I used to be a Christian.

When you were, was there a time when you felt confident to have an intellectual explanation for your beliefs to a non-Christian, or would you pretty much tell people you were a Christian because of faith?

I know that many times I have felt like I could literally hold a debate against myself! Felt like I can argue both for or against it.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We have something we can agree on; it's a mutation. Personally, I have nothing against a homosexual person, you are what you are. But as poster pointed out, as for the human race, it's a dead end journey that adds nothing to our future.
:)-

No, the other poster made an ignorant mistake and would not listen to reason. It is not a dead end since not only homosexual men might have this gene. Women could have this gene too. That there may be a genetic component is shown by the increased fertility of sisters to homosexual men.

In other words if it is a gene it could still be a positive trait if it raised the fertility of women enough to cover the men, and not all men would be affected this way, that became homosexual.

In fact since one man can service several women the loss of a small percentage of men from the gene pool is not significant.

Sorry, but your homophobic tendencies cannot lead to the refutation that you are an evolved being.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
When you were, was there a time when you felt confident to have an intellectual explanation for your beliefs to a non-Christian, or would you pretty much tell people you were a Christian because of faith?

I know that many times I have felt like I could literally hold a debate against myself! Felt like I can argue both for or against it.
I never really debated the religion at that time. To be honest I could not say. I was not into debate at that time in my life.

Upvote 0

curiouskay

Jun 10, 2017
dallas
✟39,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the other poster made an ignorant mistake and would not listen to reason. It is not a dead end since not only homosexual men might have this gene. Women could have this gene too.

This is where you and I go down separate paths. I do not believe homosexual is a gene derived condition. It is a social conditional that is learned for one reason or another. But the “gene” you suggest existing; does not exist. Sorry, if you need to believe this to sleep at night; by all means continue to believe it.

May you and yours sleep well & have great dreams on the way

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is where you and I go down separate paths. I do not believe homosexual is a gene derived condition. It is a social conditional that is learned for one reason or another. But the “gene” you suggest existing; does not exist. Sorry, if you need to believe this to sleep at night; by all means continue to believe it.

May you and yours sleep well & have great dreams on the way

Studies have shown that you are wrong. It makes not difference to me, but hatred of others because of how they are born is not very Christian. Also, it is a natural trait, like it or not. It is observed in almost all mammals.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Frankly, since I was not a debater at that time, if I did debate with someone that was well practiced I would very likely have not fared too well. But how an individual debater does no a topic does not really say anything. The person may be an expert and lose because he is wrong, or a neophyte that wins because his opponent is worse than he is.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Frankly, since I was not a debater at that time, if I did debate with someone that was well practiced I would very likely have not fared too well. But how an individual debater does no a topic does not really say anything. The person may be an expert and lose because he is wrong, or a neophyte that wins because his opponent is worse than he is.

It also factors in how a person's brain is wired, plenty of times I've asked a Christian why they are Christian and their reason gave me the reaction of "Lol that's it!??" I think it's not even close that the HUGE majority of Christians have their internal Jesus experiences as their #1 argument.

I think the evolution...

Hold on hit Send by mistake

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the evolution debate reveals how my brain is wired. I feel like if I were to get thrown totally into the other camp it would be of no consequence. One person's mind might see the figures of '99.8% compatible to a chimp' and be moved in the direction of us being CLOSE cousins, case closed! I really could not have that reaction, if i were to ever be sold on common descent, I would not be able to shake the reaction of it being proof that physiological similarity must mean absolutely nothing.

Because here's how my thinking would go...Ok, I am 0.2% different than a chimp...yet I could sit down right now and write a 500 page book about how humans are drastically different than chimps in so many ways. I would literally read it as proof that the compatibility must mean almost nothing. I'm sure you know by now that I struggle to wrap my head around the peculiar uniqueness of humans, I can't shake that, it's even puzzled me when I didn't have a religious bone in my body.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think the evolution debate reveals how my brain is wired. I feel like if I were to get thrown totally into the other camp it would be of no consequence. One person's mind might see the figures of '99.8% compatible to a chimp' and be moved in the direction of us being CLOSE cousins, case closed! I really could not have that reaction, if i were to ever be sold on common descent, I would not be able to shake the reaction of it being proof that physiological similarity must mean absolutely nothing.

Because here's how my thinking would go...Ok, I am 0.2% different than a chimp...yet I could sit down right now and write a 500 page book about how humans are drastically different than chimps in so many ways. I would literally read it as proof that the compatibility must mean almost nothing. I'm sure you know by now that I struggle to wrap my head around the peculiar uniqueness of humans, I can't shake that, it's even puzzled me when I didn't have a religious bone in my body.
But we are very similar to chimpanzees physiologically. The differences look large to you because you are a human. We are very similar to chimps on all sorts of levels. The problem is that you were brought up with a myth and those can be hard to shake.

Learning what is and what is not evidence is a big step in understanding evolution. The definition of evidence that is used in the sciences is reasonable and fair. And yet it scares creationists to no end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heissonear

Geochemist and Stratigrapher
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are decedents of space traveler’s; not monkeys

Humans did not evolve from monkeys. Humans have been humans since making our first step on this planet.

Earth was formed 4.543 billion years ago

The earth was covered entirely in ice 2.6 million years ago (climate change debate is over)

Homo sapiens first walked on this planet 200,000 years ago. So humans have been around for a mere 0.004% of the Earth's history.

It was not evolution that transformed us into what we are today, it was the seed of life that visitors “planted” on this planet.

Just as we will do on another life supporting planet in our near future.

We are aliens on our own planet

The question remaining is when will they say hello?
This thread was created to facilitate discussion, so go for it.
BTW I have supporting evidence​
Now let the debate begin :)-
Time to wake up to the invisible world in our midst.

Satan and the demonic are as active as physical realm activities.

Time to wake up, my friend.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I guess that it is invisible because you can never show any evidence for it.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I suppose all that can be imagined can exist, in the invisible.

Wake up folks!

Upvote 0

curiouskay

Jun 10, 2017
dallas
✟39,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Studies have shown that you are wrong..[/QUOTE]

Please, educate me. It's not that I don't believe you; but some evidence to support your "claim" would be nice.

It makes not difference to me,.,.,.,.,.,.

It does to me and mine.

but hatred of others because of how they are born is not very Christian.,.,.,.,..

I have never used the term "hate" in 1st tense. I suggest you stop using this term & walla, that thought will soon be forgotten. Left for history books of fiction.

Also, it is a natural trait, like it or not. It is observed in almost all mammals.

Find me/show me "one" mammals that hates & I will let this go; Ok?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I've been talking to theists a loooong time. This conversation is not my first encounter with religious folks. If you aren't aware that there are massive amounts of different god-beliefs out there, then I'll just suggest you to leave your home town once in a while and talk to some people outside of your comfort zone.

How many denominations are there again?
Plenty are so different, you might as well call them different religions.
In fact, several christians already do so.
Ask a hardcore protestant what he thinks of catholicism, for example.

The proof is in the pudding friend :)

There are 2 major christian camps.

Catholic 1.2 billion

Protestant 900 million.

There are an estimated 2.4 billion christians from many denoms.

So there are 2.1 billion catholic and protestant christians who have a belief in the same Jesus. This leaves 300 million who do not fit in those 2 camps.

One could suggest 7 out of 8 Christians believe in the same Jesus. Wouldnt call that massive friend :)

Again prove it for your self. Ask 10 random christians on this forum about Jesus and see for yourself.

In the meanwhile i will explore the known world and endeavour to chat to as many ppl as a can.

How many denominations are there again?
Plenty are so different, you might as well call them different religions.
In fact, several christians already do so.
Ask a hardcore protestant what he thinks of catholicism, for example.

The Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary estimated 34,000 denominations in 2000, rising to an estimated 43,000 in 2012. These numbers have exploded from 1,600 in the year 1900.

Im hardcore protestant. Some call me a person who believes in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture in a religion.

I believe there will be many catholics in heaven.

Protestants protest the papalcy and are a movement against what its followers considered to be errors in the Roman Catholic Church. This is not to say all catholics wont see Jesus.

I have met many delightful Catholics and some have seemed pious.

Conversation with people who believe very different things then I do.

Which ppl or group do you refer to?

Software engineering and some minor business management.

Cool. Im a construction worker. Just high school.

Sorry
I was meaning what was educational about being on christian forums?

Remove the first 4 and replace them with "you shall not own other humans and consider them your property" and you've already improved upon it.

U forget the 2 great commandments that nt christians are under. These 2 commandments take in the 10 commandments and expand slightly.

Love God with all your heart

Treat your neighbour as your self. Which is a Do unto others friend. :)

You would include abolishing slavery in the ten commandments?

So 6 out of 10 are cool?

Have you considered that the christian west stopped african slavery and slavery in the west?

I could rewrite the 10 commandments right now and do a MUCH better job.

Improving is not the same as a rewrite. Seems like you have failed the challenge friend :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Romans 1:22
Professing to be wise, they became fools,

That is rather amazing. You all but state your error and then you can't see it

No. :)

No, it wasn't. Please, if you don't understand something you should ask questions politely and properly. Let me help you with the concept. First drop the attitude. Second if you want a thorough answer ask only one question in a post. When you ask a lot of questions you can only get a short answer.

No. :)

Hold it, when you can't follow a conversation don't accuse others of "being distracted"

No.:)

Please, you are simply being dishonest again. I did read properly what you wrote, you were being dishonest.

No. :D

Nope, that was a fact.

No! :)

No ad hominem. You do not seem to understand that term.

Probably not. Im not very bright obviously :)

Do you think you could every be friends with someone as dishonest and ignorant as me.

That is not what you wrote. Now it is clear that you do not understand that phrase.

It is very clear. Can you help me?

That's better.

I would call it being honest hey :)

Because it is factual. Because it is supported by scientific evidence. There is no reliable evidence for creationism.

An appeal to authority! Nice work :)

No, that is not ad hominem. You need to learn the difference. You are wrong and yet you have a smart alecky approach. Try to ask proper questions. So far you have not been honest. Gotcha questions are not honest, especially when you are wrong. You should be trying to find out why you are wrong.

I have a friend who loves dogs. He got one and called it scooter

Pretty cool and its a spoodle!!!

If there is any improvement in morals it will be done. And they will be right, just as we are right about the "ethics" of the Bible.

Please dont answer to another persons discussion.

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good

Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

We are done my friend. :)

Keep an eye out for you. Maybe our next discussion will be 'better'

God bless you my friend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've heard the panspermia theory from Crick before, anything to leave God out of the picture.

"We are decedents of space traveler’s; not monkeys "

Next it will be 'We are descended from Space traveling monkeys'. :)

I mean it's not that far fetched,DNA discovered in 1869, in 1871, Scientist Lord Kelvin gave the more modern version of Panspermia which Francis Crick later expanded upon in 1973 with his 'directed panspermia' theory.

The first monkey in space was in 1949 btw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
This is where you and I go down separate paths. I do not believe homosexual is a gene derived condition. It is a social conditional that is learned for one reason or another. But the “gene” you suggest existing; does not exist.
Last I heard, studies have shown that there is a genetic contribution - but this doesn't mean there are particular genes that dictate homosexuality - like many other traits, it's multifactorial - a combination of genes that causes a greater or lesser predisposition, in this case to influences on brain development in the womb. It's not clear which factors are involved - perhaps foetal proteins may trigger a maternal immune response, or there may be a particular sensitivity to maternal hormone levels, which influence early foetal brain development. Post-natal social development will be correspondingly predisposed.

The fact that years of research have identified a degree of heritability but no definitive genetic, hormonal, or social developmental influences, suggests that gender identity is a subtle combination of nature and nurture.

As a left-hander, I find the determinants of handedness rather similar (although handedness seems to have a stronger genetic profile). It seems to be polygenetic, around 25% genetic and 75% developmental contribution, and the distribution is strongly skewed to right-handedness, but the degree of left-handedness or cross-dominance is unpredictable.

Upvote 0