Washington Post editor calls America 'a racist *and* patriarchal society,' reacts to 'revenge' tweet

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the article:

The tweet said: “White women are lucky that we are just calling them ‘Karen’s.' And not calling for revenge.”

Washington Post global opinions editor Karen Attiah called America “a racist *and* patriarchal society” in response to the threats she says she got over a deleted tweet that reportedly declared, “White women are lucky that we are just calling them ‘Karen’s.' And not calling for revenge.”

In a tweet over backlash she wrote: “America is a racist *and* patriarchal society. We cannot dismantle the full range of oppression in this society without addressing how toxic ideas of white masculinity interplay with the notion of ‘protecting’ their women from Black people.”

She added: “I explicitly said Black people *ARE NOT* calling for this. A good amount the threats and hate mail I’ve been getting are white men threatening me with violence to —*checks notes* protect ‘their’ white women. Exactly the point I’ve been making about ‘Karen’ behavior all along.”

Continued below.
Washington Post editor calls America 'a racist *and* patriarchal society,' reacts to 'revenge' tweet backlash

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From the article:

The tweet said: “White women are lucky that we are just calling them ‘Karen’s.' And not calling for revenge.”

Washington Post global opinions editor Karen Attiah called America “a racist *and* patriarchal society” in response to the threats she says she got over a deleted tweet that reportedly declared, “White women are lucky that we are just calling them ‘Karen’s.' And not calling for revenge.”

In a tweet over backlash she wrote: “America is a racist *and* patriarchal society. We cannot dismantle the full range of oppression in this society without addressing how toxic ideas of white masculinity interplay with the notion of ‘protecting’ their women from Black people.”

She added: “I explicitly said Black people *ARE NOT* calling for this. A good amount the threats and hate mail I’ve been getting are white men threatening me with violence to —*checks notes* protect ‘their’ white women. Exactly the point I’ve been making about ‘Karen’ behavior all along.”

Continued below.
Washington Post editor calls America 'a racist *and* patriarchal society,' reacts to 'revenge' tweet backlash
Threatening other people is probably a crime. People can be arrested for that.

If this woman has been threatened, she should produce evidence and allow the law enforcement agencies which she probably wants to be abolished to investigate the matter and arrest those responsible.

Until she produces evidence that she has received threats, I do not believe her. Period.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It's not sexist provided that it comes with the disclaimer that it's a joke, right?

I can pretty much guarantee that making fun of and threatening other women with violence (basically exhibiting patriarchal behavior) is not exactly the way to go if you really want to dismantle patriarchy.

I've noticed that the "Ken" meme isn't anywhere near as popular and widespread. Interesting but not unsurprising.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0