Was the use of drugs forbidden among ancient Jews?

fishmansf

May 24, 2018
Seattle
✟25,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I hear so many skeptics use the argument that the visions of God and prophecies or miracles were the product of hallucinogens. I would lie if I said I haven’t had that thought a few time in my faith but to rebut this I want to know what the use of drugs were like in ancient Israel. I know we are called to be sober minded even in the OT but did this include drugs as well? Most people seem to be aware they are hallucinating but we’re drugs forbidden in the times of the prophets?

While I don’t believe this, it would be useful to know for future debates. Additionally could you provide sources?

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hear so many skeptics use the argument that the visions of God and prophecies or miracles were the product of hallucinogens. I would lie if I said I haven’t had that thought a few time in my faith but to rebut this I want to know what the use of drugs were like in ancient Israel. I know we are called to be sober minded even in the OT but did this include drugs as well? Most people seem to be aware they are hallucinating but we’re drugs forbidden in the times of the prophets?
While I don’t believe this, it would be useful to know for future debates. Additionally could you provide sources?
The Greek word for magic, potions etc. is Pharmakeia from which we get "Pharmacy." WHere the word occurs in the Bible highlighted in blue. It also occurs in the LXX
φαρμακεία, ας, ἡ (also-κία; X., Pla. et al.; Vett. Val., pap, LXX; En, AscIs; Philo, Spec. Leg. 3, 94; 98; Ar. 13, 7; Tat. 18, 1) sorcery, magic (φάρμακον; Polyb. 38, 16, 7; Ex 7:11, 22; 8:14; Is 47:9, 12; Wsd 12:4; 18:13; En 7:1; SibOr 5, 165) Rv 18:23. Pl. magic arts 9:21 (v.l. φαρμάκων). In a list of vices Gal 5:20; B 20:1 (AscIs 2:5 ἐπλήθυνεν [ἡ] φαρμακία καὶ ἡ μαγία καὶ ἡ μαντία … καὶ ἡ πορνία … ); pl. D 5:1.—B. 1495. DELG s.v. φάρμακον. M-M.
φαρμακεύς, έως, ὁ (φάρμακον; Soph., Trach. 1140; Pla., Symp. 203d γόης καὶ φαρμ.; Philo, Det. Pot. Ins. 38 [otherw. φαρμακευτής, so also Just., A II, 6, 6]; Jos., Vi. 149f; Orig., C. Cels. 3, 46, 27. Whether poison is implied depends on the context) maker of potions, magician Rv 21:8 t.r. (so Tdf. app., based on Erasmus’ 2d ed. 1519; the 1st ed. 1516 has the correct rdg; s. RBorger, GGA 143; s. φάρμακος 2).—DELG s.v. φάρμακον.
φαρμακεύω fut. φαρμακεύσω; aor. ptc. φαρμακεύσας 2 Macc 10:13 (φαρμακεύς; Hdt., Pla. et al.; POxy 472, 1; 5 [II A.D.]; LXX; Philo, Det. Pot. Ins. 38) to make potions, practice magic D 2:2 (here mixing of poisons is not especially indicated; cp. Ps.-Phoc. 149 Horst p. 212f; Wengst, Didache p. 69 n. 8).—DELG s.v. φάρμακον.
Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., Bauer, W., & Gingrich, F. W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed., pp. 1049–1050). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Why use drugs for something God can do?
We cannot trigger dreams and visions from God, because they are His to give to whom ever He chooses.

Reactions: GospelS
Upvote 0