Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to CF.

Well, if God is the one who acts first and saves us out of our sin, gives us faith with which we respond in worship and love for him (and could then rightly be labelled a 'Christian'), and if it is God who continues to give us that faith to stay close to him and persevere, then I don't see how there could be anything like an ex-Christian. Hence I reckon you'd be a non-Christian.

But then again labels aren't really that important. You're here in 'Exploring Christianity', so what in particular would you like to explore?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was a xtian on and off for 3 years..by that i mean i kept falling away during that time...and now am no longer a xtian.
so does thhat make me a non xtian?or an ex xtian?

Hi and welcome to CF! I think this makes you an xtian ^_^

As JJ stated, even from this short post it's dubious you ever really knew the Lord, personally. Knowing about Him isn't enough ...

Upvote 0

Londongal

Nov 30, 2010
London ,Uk
✟7,652.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
if im honest...im not really sure.
i could ask the age old question....what are your thoughts on the once saved always saved debate?
mny ppl have said to me that i cdnt hve been a "real" xtian,if i had known god and then turned away.
yet scripture itself says that believers must guard agaisnt falling away.
(its 2.15 am in london so i wl sign off now.bt i will be intereseted to see what ppls views are.)

Upvote 0

Londongal

Nov 30, 2010
London ,Uk
✟7,652.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Hi and welcome to CF! I think this makes you an xtian ^_^

As JJ stated, even from this short post it's dubious you ever really knew the Lord, personally. Knowing about Him isn't enough ...

well....i ws baptised both in water and the holy spirit...but i just kept going back to past influences.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i ws baptised both in water and the holy spirit...but i just kept going back to past influences.

About this Baptism in the Holy Spirit - how do you know? If that was legitimate and you keep going back to past influences, then you are in the same refining process we all go through. Just your version is uniquely you :)

This is part and parcel of the OSAS debate. Scripture plainly teaches it's possible to fall away, and in fact must be guarded against.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was a xtian on and off for 3 years..by that i mean i kept falling away during that time...and now am no longer a xtian.

Was there ever any indication that you were truly saved? Did you ever hunger after the Word of God? Did you find yourself repulsed by the wrongness of things in which you once indulged? Did you find yourself desiring the company of other believers? Did you have that inward certainty of your salvation, that witness of God's Spirit to yours of your adoption into God's family?

so does thhat make me a non xtian?or an ex xtian?

I don't believe there is any such thing as an ex-christian. I find nothing in Scripture that suggests with any compelling force that one can be born again and then unborn again. From what you've shared so far, it seems you were never actually adopted into God's family.

either way...im here and im looking at the discussions.

Great!

Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Londongal

Nov 30, 2010
London ,Uk
✟7,652.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Was there ever any indication that you were truly saved? Did you ever hunger after the Word of God? Did you find yourself repulsed by the wrongness of things in which you once indulged? Did you find yourself desiring the company of other believers? Did you have that inward certainty of your salvation, that witness of God's Spirit to yours of your adoption into God's family?

I don't believe there is any such thing as an ex-christian. I find nothing in Scripture that suggests with any compelling force that one can be born again and then unborn again. From what you've shared so far, it seems you were never actually adopted into God's family.

Great!

Selah.

I did have that certainty...i did hunger for the word...and i was utterly horrified at things id done in my past.
the next part is a grey area...discussion wise.
and im actually nt sure if im prepared to share it as yet.chiefly cos its been the bone of contention and sticking point in the whole faith debate.
i will throw it out there ...i was involved in the occult for 30 years ,since i was 15.i worship Baphomet/or Satan...whichever term one prefers.i have channelled demons etc...and the whole demonic is the area where the conflict arises.
whenver i became really drawn to god ,the inner conflict would begin...and it was demonisation nt simply sinful nature...and i do know the difference.
bt the church i was going to didnt believe in demonisation.even tho i was virtually begging for their help.
and i am now at the stage where i cant go that route anymore.i wd rather stay with what i know...than be deemed sm kinda nut that believes she is "demonised".having given in to the "bad" stuff again...at least i have peace.

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Londongal, can you find any other churches in your area that do provide counselling and special prayer ministries for people who have been involved with the occult?

Please don't think you've got no hope of becoming freed from this background. There are many websites and books telling about how previous believers in the occult have become strong christians.

e.g. Out of Occult | Christian Faith Site

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I did have that certainty...i did hunger for the word...and i was utterly horrified at things id done in my past.
Okay.

the next part is a grey area...discussion wise.
and im actually nt sure if im prepared to share it as yet.chiefly cos its been the bone of contention and sticking point in the whole faith debate.
i will throw it out there ...i was involved in the occult for 30 years ,since i was 15.i worship Baphomet/or Satan...whichever term one prefers.i have channelled demons etc...and the whole demonic is the area where the conflict arises.
Yes, this would be a serious issue for someone who professes faith in Christ as their Saviour and Lord.

whenver i became really drawn to god ,the inner conflict would begin...and it was demonisation nt simply sinful nature...and i do know the difference.
I've seen this sort of thing. It is rather hair-raising the first time.

bt the church i was going to didnt believe in demonisation.even tho i was virtually begging for their help.
Uh, this was a Christian church? I don't know how one can read their Bible and not see very clearly that it indicates that demons exist and that they oppress and possess people.

and i am now at the stage where i cant go that route anymore.i wd rather stay with what i know...than be deemed sm kinda nut that believes she is "demonised".having given in to the "bad" stuff again...at least i have peace.
The devil isn't going to give you up without a fight. Of course, the fight has already been won and he knows it. He just wants to see if you know it.

1 John 3:8
8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Colossians 2:13-15
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
15Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

Revelation 12:10-11
10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, "Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.

2 Corinthians 10:4-5
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

Ephesians 6:10-18
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints--

James 4:7
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

I once worked at a summer Bible camp attended by many aboriginal children. One of these children, a young girl of nine or ten, made a profession of faith in Christ as her Saviour. She said nothing of being involved in the occult, which she had been. The demonic world is fairly well-known among aboriginal people; they interact frequently with evil spirits. Anyway, this young girl was literally attacked by demons one night. She saw them a couple of times before they came at her and warned her cabin counsellor of their presence, but the counsellor was dismissive of the girl's claims and scolded her for saying she could see demons. When the girl was bedded down for the night in her cabin the demons she had seen earlier attacked her. When I arrived (I was the camp director) the young girl was screaming and writhing violently on her bed, barely held down by three counsellors. We tried to speak to her but she could neither see nor hear us. I began to pray, but just as I did so the wife of the camp speaker entered the cabin, strode over to the girl, and in a loud voice said, "In the name of Jesus and by the power of his blood I command you to leave this girl alone!" Instantly, the girl returned to normal. She blinked, stared around frantically, and then began to ask after her brother who was in another cabin at the camp that week. Apparently, the demons had threatened to attack him, too.

What stands out most in my mind now about this event is the power of the blood and name of Jesus over the demons. Christ has "made a show of them openly" through his victorious work on the cross of Calvary and they cannot resist who he is and what he has done. Praise God!

You are not their prisoner any longer if you have accepted by faith the sacrifice of Christ for your sins and have embraced him as the Lord of your life.

Romans 8:15-17
15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
17 and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LondonGal-

A Christian is a person who has realized and accepted the work which God has already done on our behalf. That's why we say, "A Christian is not better then others; he's better off." This passage may help clarify that:

Moses decribes in this way the righteousness that is by the law: "The man who does these things will live by them." But the righteousness that is by faith says: "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' " (that is, to bring Christ down) "or 'Who will descend into the deep?' " (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile - the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:5-13,NIV)

We are assured of our salvation and call ourselves Christians not because of what we have done or are in the process of doing, but rather because of what God has done and which he has already completed on our behalf. What we could never have obtained through our efforts God himself obtained for us through his efforts:

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished - he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. (Romans 3:19-26,NIV)

The righteousness which God accepts as true righteousness is his own righteousness. Because of what he himself accomplished through Jesus Christ he has enabled us to attain that righteousness, but as a free gift from God rather than as a result of our having been 'good enough' to merit it.

A word of caution, especially if you are in contact with a denomination that started out here in the USA. There are those who are endeavoring to acquire power for themselves while using Christianity in the same manner as a hunter uses a blind. They will tell you that you need to obey them in order to merit your salvation, and that only they can lead you through the maze that they claim Scripture to be. They tell you that they must be your spiritual guides in order for you to finally obtain salvation.

As many of us have learned the hard way here in the USA, this is not being done out of a desire to enlighten; it is being done out of a rapacious need to conquer. They have their own agendas which involve gaining more temporal power for themselves rather than more people grateful to God for his gift of salvation. They need people who are totally subservient to them in order to feed that desire. But once the people whom they have targetted realize their true motives, they move on.

Take care, and God bless-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums