USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Before Jesus public ministry began and during it as well, was Jesus a theologian?

Did He have to study scripture in order to gain an understanding of it, or did He know it all already?

Did He put any effort into the "study of the nature of God"?

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Before Jesus public ministry began and during it as well, was Jesus a theologian?

Did He have to study scripture in order to gain an understanding of it, or did He know it all already?

That's a good question. Luke 2:52 says of Jesus' childhood that Jesus "increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man." So while in his divine nature Jesus has always been omniscient - knowing God perfectly - there is something to be said about how he had to learn as a human.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's a good question. Luke 2:52 says of Jesus' childhood that Jesus "increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man." So while in his divine nature Jesus has always been omniscient - knowing God perfectly - there is something to be said about how he had to learn as a human.

Have you noticed the tread of Christianity away from valuing theology?

Upvote 0

OcifferPls

Berean Baptist
Oct 27, 2016
The Frigid North
✟26,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you mean?

I'm saying Jesus fulfilled the prophetic Word, meaning he is the prophetic Word, which states "they divided my garments." These weren't foretelling the life of a great person to come. When it was fulfilled, by parting Jesus' garments, they parted the Word's garments.

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm saying Jesus fulfilled the prophetic Word, meaning he is the prophetic Word, which states "they divided my garments." These weren't foretelling the life of a great person to come. When it was fulfilled, by parting Jesus' garments, they parted the Word's garments.

Agreed, but was He also quoting Psalm 22 from memory?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Do you make a study of your family? Or do you just get to know them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, your answer is no, then. He didn't read and study scripture or learn as He grew.
Of course he read and studied, like any Jewish child of the era, very deeply and extensively as well (A succesful child would have commited the entire book of Genesis to memory by the age of 6).
But a theologian is one who has an abstract philosophy of theos, whereas Jesus was the very image of theos.
To ask whether He was a theologian is a bit like asking whether you are a psychologist if you get to know yourself and your family.

Upvote 0

Haramis

Dancing on Rainbows
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2012
✟57,966.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't see anything to suggest that Jesus spent a lot of time studying written works. I would say his growth in wisdom came from not from intellectual pursuits, but from personal teachings. Much like John the Baptist, who most think was illiterate.
Anguspure said:
Of course he read and studied, like any Jewish child of the era, very deeply and extensively as well (A succesful child would have commited the entire book of Genesis to memory by the age of 6).
Sources? I've never heard of such a thing. Even within the Levitical order, much less a laborer's son.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

It is likely that Jesus attended school like any other Jewish boy of his time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I say Yes.
  • If you are a theologian, you will pray truly. And if you pray truly, you are a theologian. - Evagirus Treatise on Prayer, 61.

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Have you noticed the tread of Christianity away from valuing theology?

Yeah for sure. Lots of Christians are skeptical of "theology". I had one guy who I used to work with in ministry. We were supposed to plan a student conference together. I suggested we do some "theological training" for the students and he seemed pretty averse to the idea. So I asked him: "What do you think of when you hear the word theology?" And he said: "To me, theology is just arguing about theoretical stuff that really has no answer and all it does is lead to divisions and fighting among Christians." This is a very unfortunate, but very common take on theology.

In truth, real theology is - as Dr. Frame so nicely sums it up - the application of Scripture to every area of life. We've got Scripture and we've got life and we've got to put the two together. That process is called theology. Every Christian desperately needs to engage in it. Because if we're not applying Scripture to our lives then we're living by some other word and inevitably living by bad theology.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
....And he said: "To me, theology is just arguing about theoretical stuff that really has no answer and all it does is lead to divisions and fighting among Christians." This is a very unfortunate, but very common take on theology..
That's much like the Jewish take on arguing everything, that was their theology and resulted in the Pharisitical law applying to every area of life being held to law.

But to answer the question, at 12 years old Jesus' knowledge was far beyond those in the temple. I think He would have studied everything He could get His hands on ( meditate on the law day and night) and from the parables He told it seems He also applied those laws to nature and people to discover the deeper meaning. I imagine there was sense of 'knowing' also that came from the Holy Spirit but His 'theology' seems to have come from applying it to life.

Upvote 0